Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SaaS is just one arm of a long and inexorable process where consumers are turned from people who own things into people who rent things.

I am so against this trend that I'm pooping my diaper right now. Is it too much to ask that I just be able to BUY something I want to use, pay for it once, and use it as long as I need it? Paying for something every month in perpetuity is a terrible (for the consumer, at least) way to go, and I hate it. When I saw the new Adobe model I was horrified. $15 a month to edit PDFs? LOL, no thanks. $20 a month to edit photos? I am now using Gimp (100% free) instead of Photoshop and I hardly miss it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Paying the monthly fee for Creative Cloud is sooooooo much cheaper than what Adobe was charging for Photoshop in the past.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Paying the monthly fee for Creative Cloud is sooooooo much cheaper than what Adobe was charging for Photoshop in the past.

You're supposed to pay for Photoshop??

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everything is trying to break itself down to a monthly fee.

Motherfuckers want to call dibs on every single one of your cents for before you've earned it, and i ain't fuckin havin it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Just steal the disc from school man

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On one hand,

On the other hand,

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

What did he change about the icons/toolbars? Not sure what you mean. It's clear that there's less singular design behind the OS these days, details just don't line up and there's largely no consistency between the stock apps. But I think that's a result of losing Job's oversight and stretching their resources too thin, not anything Ive is doing.

Simple example (one of many): the share button. I can't remember what it looked like before, but I guess it was a button with "share" written on it, or in other ways was very verbose.

Now what should a share button look like/how does it look in nearly every other app or website? Sharing means to distribute something with others, this is mostly indicated by an arrow to the left/right, because others are on the same level with you. Similar to the accepted icon for forwarding an email etc. When I installed iOS 7, and wanted to share an image for the first time, I had a bunch if icons I couldn't make sense off. Most of them did not translate to me what they do. There was a button with a square and an arrow upwards....a typical upload icon, because you would transfer something "upwards". But I wanted to share it....with others. So what I had to do, was actually tap on the buttons to see what they did, and then find out that the upload button is the share button. Ivy killed the verbosity (is this a word?)...the buttons have to do the talking, and some, or even many of them, fail in that regard, imo.

Now, I know this sounds terribly pedantic, and is an open invite to ridicule me for either "not getting it", "beeing stupid" etc. pp., yeah. But it is an icon that talked about to many people, and most of them said the very same: I had no idea what this icon does before I tapped on it. So of course it might be possible I am surrounded by the same idiots that I am, but imo that icon was ill designed. It indicated a behaviour (upload) that was not what people thought it would do (share with others). Technically, of course it's an upload...but from a user standpoint, it didn't convey "this is the share button".

This is one example of a couple I had when I used the first Ivy iOS.

Don't get me wrong, this is all terrible nit-picking, I know, but it is something that made Apple special before, that the UI was very, very easy to understand, and the previous iOS versions did it (because there are no tooltips) most of the time with simple text buttons.

The same thing - imo - happens nowadays with the iPad pro version of the OS, where you have to memorize quite a lot of (sometimes unintuitive imo) gestures to "unlock the full potential" of the OS, which I understand is in a state of becoming something different and thus currently is not perfect.

This is just mho, and I know I set myself up for with this, but yeah, that's how I feel about it.

e: to make one thing clear: I still think iOS has a good user experience and clean UI design that works. So I'm in no way trying to describe the user experience as bad...I simply think that Ivy didn't add much to it yet and actually made some parts "not better".

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 12, 2018

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

SaaS is the new paradigm that liberates consumers from the shackles of ownership. Why the hell would you want to own a depreciating asset rather than just lease it? Software has no intrinsic value once it is obsolete either because the feature set is too old, the OS it runs on no longer supports it or the user switches platforms. All you get at the end is a physical box to hold.

The problem with this model is that you're always forced to pay for the privilege of using the most current version. There's nothing wrong with Photoshop CS4. If it does everything I want it to do, and I've already bought it outright and don't want to upgrade, why should I have to? Sorry, PAY US. What did it cost new, like $700? So assume about 3 years at $20/month. Want to skip CS5 and wait to see what CS6 improves? Nope, PAY US. What if you were the "upgrade every other version" type? Nope sorry, PAY US.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Everything is trying to break itself down to a monthly fee.

Motherfuckers want to call dibs on every single one of your cents for before you've earned it, and i ain't fuckin havin it.

I switched to teksavvy specifically so I didn't have to rent the ISP's lovely modem and my internet works like 100x better despite using the same Shaw infrastructure lol.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I just figured out Marcus Ericsson and Kevin Magnussen are two different people.

Keven is the one who owns because he said suck my balls and the other one is just, there I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

track day bro! posted:

Keven is the one who owns because he said suck my balls and the other one is just, there I guess.

Okay smart guy, point out which one is which

They're both Stoffel VanDoorne

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Okay smart guy, point out which one is which

They're both Stoffel VanDoorne

Who the gently caress is Stoffel

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
That's not even a real name.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And your bonus for 50 points: name both Sauber Drivers, both Williams drivers and one Toro Rosso driver.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

iospace posted:

Apple sucks, OP.

Wow and I used to think you had good opinions. What a mistake.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

And your bonus for 50 points: name both Sauber Drivers, both Williams drivers and one Toro Rosso driver.

Isn't one of the Sauber drivers future Scud Legend Charles Le Clerc, phwooooooooar what a guy op. Isn't the other guy some russian paydriver. Williams is easy, Paydriver 1 and Paydriver 2. Toro Rosso same Brenda Shartley

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thinking Williams will have to lose one of their awful pay drivers by the halfway point of the year. They should bring back one of the most talented drivers in the sport unfairly sitting on the sideline, not talking about old broken fraud Robert Kubica, but rather my lad Big Jolly Jo Palmer, or hell maybe Big Pastor.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.planetf1.com/news/horner-ferrari-cannot-hold-f1-to-ransom/

fUK OFF Horner, Scuderia Ferrari can do whatever they want.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just let Ferrari quit and paint the Alfa-Saubers red. Problem solved.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You could just post “gently caress off horner” every day and it would be relevant for some reason.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As for the 2021 regulations, Horner says Red Bull won’t have a say in them

“We are not going to have any influence,” Horner says of 2021. “This world championship is managed by the FIA and the FOM, and it’s up to them to know what they want.

Its not Scuderia Ferrari fault that nobody cares about RBR and their fraudulent WDC and WCCs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sounds like Red Bull have gotten insanely and epicly owned ftw.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

I am so against this trend that I'm pooping my diaper right now. Is it too much to ask that I just be able to BUY something I want to use, pay for it once, and use it as long as I need it? Paying for something every month in perpetuity is a terrible (for the consumer, at least) way to go, and I hate it. When I saw the new Adobe model I was horrified. $15 a month to edit PDFs? LOL, no thanks. $20 a month to edit photos? I am now using Gimp (100% free) instead of Photoshop and I hardly miss it at all.

Uh, I pay like £16p/m for the entire CC suite. That seems like excellent value when compared to having a full frontal lobotomy whilst lucid, which is basically what using GIMP feels like. If you're not using CC for commercial use, their licenses are waaaay cheaper than retail.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Uh, I pay like £16p/m for the entire CC suite. That seems like excellent value when compared to having a full frontal lobotomy whilst lucid, which is basically what using GIMP feels like. If you're not using CC for commercial use, their licenses are waaaay cheaper than retail.

The most hosed up part about this thread is how we so often alternate between violent disagreement and equally violent agreement.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to be honest i've always considered SaaS for commercial-grade software to be different from stuff like, say, Microsoft Office or something

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I still use gimp and openoffice, idgaf

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:files:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I love Office 365.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

I love Office 365.

This is unequivocally the worst thing ever posted in one of these threads.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Renault F1 sponsored in some way by microsoft? This could also be why their cars tend to be in Forza games every time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

I love Office 365.

Ban this filth.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The most hosed up part about this thread is how we so often alternate between violent disagreement and equally violent agreement.

It's the Operation Paul Bunyan of the worst thread.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I feel like my av should be passed onto one of these nerds

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

I feel like my av should be passed onto one of these nerds

I feel like you need a good sit down in the noob chair, here u go \_

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I always get confused when I see pictures of F1 steering wheels. No way to understand what each button means by simply looking at it. My friends always tell me: "Pastor, read the loving manual".

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

I don't know how your hobbit money translates to regular Canadian dollars, but I'm guessing that's about $25/mo... But I could be wrong, it looks like the "all apps" package is US$50/mo which is way too high for anyone not using these for work. Gimp really isn't that bad for basic stuff. I've had to re-learn a few tools, but it hasn't been very difficult.

What happens if my internet is down? Am I just out of luck? What do I do with the 20GB of storage that comes with the cheapest package? Am I supposed to store files on Adobe's cloud? I don't get it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
The VP of iTunes Eddy Cue is a big Ferrari fan, he probably admires how successful they've been selling cars as bad as iTunes

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

I don't know how your hobbit money translates to regular Canadian dollars, but I'm guessing that's about $25/mo... But I could be wrong, it looks like the "all apps" package is US$50/mo which is way too high for anyone not using these for work. Gimp really isn't that bad for basic stuff. I've had to re-learn a few tools, but it hasn't been very difficult.

What happens if my internet is down? Am I just out of luck? What do I do with the 20GB of storage that comes with the cheapest package? Am I supposed to store files on Adobe's cloud? I don't get it.

Ya there's a hidden 'not for profit' subscription tier that includes everything, which you can find a link for with a little Google Fu (I only have the UK one, but I'm p sure North America has it too).

The apps are all installed locally, so no persistent internet connection required to use them. Once they're installed they're activated so use as you like.

The online storage is good if you use the mobile apps. For example, Lightroom on my phone is way better than the default camera app (allows you to tweak like a DSLR and then edit like in Lightroom) and then sync back to your desktop library. I don't use it otherwise as I have OneDrive, unless it's an edge case where I don't want to be storing work files on my personal cloud storage.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Creative Cloud Photography, which includes Lightroom and Photoshop, is $10/mo USD. It works perfectly fine offline, I assume there is some frequency you have to check in to maintain your license though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poty posted:

The VP of iTunes Eddy Cue is a big Ferrari fan, he probably admires how successful they've been selling cars as bad as iTunes

wtf? i love itunes!