Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stayed in an Airbnb once where the host was actually trying to do the last “b” of it. she made really excellent almond croissants. sorta doubt it was above board though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

ontario just revoked their $14,000 EV tax rebate if the vehicle you buy costs more than $75,000, logically pointing out that if you can afford a car costing as much as the average canadian family makes in a year, you don't really need extra handouts. all teslas in canada cost more than $75,000.

people on the tesla reddit are losing their loving minds

good

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

airline seats are unbelievably terrible and i'm convinced that they do it on purpose.

like, the tiny bench seat in the 40-year-old cessna 152 i fly, which has a cabin this big

is still about an order of magnitude more comfortable than any economy-class airline seat i've experienced in my life.

those don't have to function as flotation devices in the event of a water landing because nobody is going to survive that in a cessna anyway

IDK if it's the lense but that looks too narrow for me which I hate more than hard seats because my rear end recovers from them a lot faster than my back does from scrunching up my shoulders for hours

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
was this posted already? https://www.thedailybeast.com/facebooks-algorithm-hijacked-this-dollar8-billion-company-to-sell-cat-blindfolds

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

those don't have to function as flotation devices in the event of a water landing because nobody is going to survive that in a cessna anyway

IDK if it's the lense but that looks too narrow for me which I hate more than hard seats because my rear end recovers from them a lot faster than my back does from scrunching up my shoulders for hours

isn't there like 3 water landings total in history where an appreciable number of people survived

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i went to school with peter szulcewski and he was the smartest most driven person i've ever met.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've noticed when americans say "driven" what they mean is "sociopath"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Trashman posted:

I know this is old but yeah first class does solve most of this on a decent airline. you get those little personal pods with a big screen TV, as mentioned the food is actually good real food not typical airline crap. and get this you even get metal cutlery! of course it doI sent speed up the trip but you can actually sleep properly so :shrug:

and glasses for your whisky

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

don't worry we're all canadian

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isn't there like 3 water landings total in history where an appreciable number of people survived

god bless u sully sullenberger :patriot:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

:canada:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we're all canadian down here :unsmigghh:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

if you don’t have a sociopathic level of drive maybe you’re not really driven

duh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my name is james. I’m a computer toucher from canada. i make a decent six and a half figgies and suffer from dysthymia.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that's probably the right order of magnitude but it's more about preventing possible tragedy than saving an appreciable number of lives. sounds real bad when survivors drown because there's nothing to float on even if there usually aren't survivors to need to float

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

my name is james. I’m a computer toucher from canada. i make a decent six and a half figgies and suffer from dysthymia.

don't quote sthymie

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

aircraft will all float and are designed such that a gear up landing is not a write off. ditching a light aircraft has a 85% success rate according to this page http://www.equipped.com/bschiff-ditching.htm

remember some of these things stall at like 40mph

edit: better article on the site http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 12, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

you're more likely to survive ditching in a small plane than in an airliner. you can put a small plane down at fender-bender speeds and it's only filled with 20-30 gallons of gas. an airliner hitting the water is doing so minimally at ~120mph and it's got up to 50,000 gallons of jet fuel on board.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

honestly that's really bad policy

it should prorate out, from maybe 40k - 90k

new cars are almost exclusively purchased by persons of means, just in general. fleet average age in the u.s. is well over ten years. middle class motherfuckers ain't buying brand new cars.

maybe a subsidy for electric vehicles is bad and dumb

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

new cars are almost exclusively purchased by persons of means, just in general. fleet average age in the u.s. is well over ten years. middle class motherfuckers ain't buying brand new cars.

actually they're good but the rich shouldn't get them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the cool thing here is in california is we let electric vehicles drive in the carpool/bus lanes, this means rich people with the 50k to plunk down on a telsa or bolt or w/e can be single driver and avoid all teh poors traffics

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

aircraft will all float and are designed such that a gear up landing is not a write off. ditching a light aircraft has a 85% success rate according to this page http://www.equipped.com/bschiff-ditching.htm

remember some of these things stall at like 40mph

edit: better article on the site http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm

huh! way better odds than I thought

I figured the gear going into the water would flip it clean over and knock the occupants around enough to make sure nobody would be conscious enough to get out but I also didn't bother to check to see if it had retractable gear

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nah the gear would just collapse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's a great video that i can't seem to find of a plane doing a belly landing on a runway and it just sorta... slides... much smoother than i'd expect. apparently it was smooth enough that the passengers thought the gear must have come out at the last minute

e: here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scUoqzG67-w

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 12, 2018

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

I recently read a more in-depth analysis about that on an ad industry site. I'll post it when I find it again on my workstation.
They even optimized the ads towards conversions but even with that goal in mind either the FB algorithm massively overvalues clicks or these "curiosity clicks" on dog dildo masks actually drive revenue in these micro target groups.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
Elon “Ole Musky” Musk

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/world-news/lynx-targets-youngtrepreneur-market-new-elons-musk-fragrance/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

another in the list of "things where someone came up with the name first and worked backwards"

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Improbable Lobster posted:

actually they're good but the rich shouldn't get them

CA is now means-testing the state EV rebate so rich people won’t get the $2000 from the state (they’re mad about it).

The HOV lanes in the Bay Area are packed with Nissan Leafs and useless.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jimmy Carter posted:

CA is now means-testing the state EV rebate so rich people wont get the $2000 from the state (theyre mad about it).

The HOV lanes in the Bay Area are packed with Nissan Leafs and useless.

yeah letting evs use special lanes is dumb as hellllll

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah letting evs use special lanes is dumb as hellllll

it's also not working to improve travel times in those lanes so they're switching over to a toll model

i begin design work on the 101 "managed lane" between sf and sj in like a month

:byewhore: carpool lanes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

our hov lanes allow toll use too in some areas

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HoT lanes are loving trash. toll erry lane erry day

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
highway widening is all trash and i hate it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

replace all roads with cannons that shoot you around like in super Mario. highway cannons just shoot you into the sun

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cant use your special ev exception carpool lane sticker if there are no carpool lanes

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ban this regressive trash

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i begin design work on the 101 "managed lane" between sf and sj in like a month

:byewhore: carpool lanes

you need to slow traffic down there! put in speed bumps!!!

:byodood:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

PokeJoe posted:

replace all roads with cannons that shoot you around like in super Mario. highway cannons just shoot you into the sun

I'd prefer the ones from Secret of Mana. Those seem pretty accurate.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

*snaps goggles on while being loaded into the breach*

‘scuse me while i kiss this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan