Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Guys I love the Scoundrel. Love love love love. I am in love with the Scoundrel. I like her pretty green colors and her crazy hair and her stab stab stab loot stab move 5 all the time. I don't want to retire her, ever.

I naturally gravitate towards rogue type classes in almost every game but I didn't get around to trying the Scoundrel until my third chracter (Brute and Sun before) and I AM NEVER GOING BACK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Can somebody with one of the more expensive organizers tell me which looks better on Etsy:

TowerRex: https://www.etsy.com/listing/579873653/gloomhaven-2nd-edition-board-game-wood?ref=shop_home_feat_1

GamerFit: https://www.etsy.com/listing/552265718/gloomhaven-board-game-insert-organizer?ref=shop_home_active_66

I'm leaning toward the GameFit model because I like how the trays are smaller and separate from each other, but I also really like that TowerRex has labels on their trays.

Honestly I haven’t seen a single organizer yet that has made me think “I regret not buying this instead of doing YASS”

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I hate every organizers tile solution of Tetris them in. You have to meticulously undo it all and repack it every time.

Accordion folder might not fit neatly in the box but them not being in there let's everything else fit fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
How many scenarios are people doing before their first retirement, roughly?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

~15

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

I hate every organizers tile solution of Tetris them in. You have to meticulously undo it all and repack it every time.

Accordion folder might not fit neatly in the box but them not being in there let's everything else fit fine.

Yeah I keep the accordion folder separate. It's not a big deal and all the map tiles fit nicely.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

How many scenarios are people doing before their first retirement, roughly?
11 for mine, I have another player that is close and one that isn't even a quarter of the way. That other one is really looking forward to Oozes, we haven't seen any, but he needs to kill 3 Oozes in addition to some other stuff to retire.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It varies obviously. But the do 15 scenarios one is a telltale for what the timing is supposed to be on average

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we have 2 people at 50% done, one at 75% done, and me hangin around hoping to unlock missions in the dagger forest but every one we have unlocked is blocked for other reasons

:negative:

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Bombadilillo posted:

Confirming. I created and stained the Broken Token insert, and while gorgeous, the map tiles are much better suited for an accordian folder. I found one at Walgreens that's pretty robust and has all of the letters alphabetized, and is much more preferable to the wacky way in which the insert suggests.

For our group, it is 100% worth it considering the way it organizes the creatures, that alone is saving us so many eventual hours.

We had a marathon session yesterday, playing 5! scenarios over the course of the day, and amazed that after 20 hours, we're still less than a 10th of the way through the scenarios. The scoundrel is having a hard time accruing XP. My friend and I believe this is because she is mostly adopting a "always play earlier initative and then do lots of ranged attacks." strategy. Does anyone have a good guide they recommend?

Conversely, I feel unstoppable as the Cragheart. I think I'm currently going the Obstacle build as it just feels more "fun" and impactful than the ranged damage build, but the class just feels like it is overall super strong. Shaping the battlefield, muddling enemies, shredding shield enemies, etc. My group is very jealous at all that he can do.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cragheart is the strongest character I've seen so far. Constant auto damage and funneling. So strong. Scoundrel can get insane single hits if you combine a bunch of cards, sure. But Cragheart can clear whole rooms.

I have a feeling I will unlock and experience everything and then play crag

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are two main axes that characters gain power on: wealth, and levels. Some characters are much better at improving on one axis than on the other, and the scoundrel is definitely one that gets more loot than experience.

But that being said, a lot of the scoundrel's experience-gaining cards are essentially "make a melee attack, it's stronger and you get experience if you've set it up right", so your friend's playstyle is probably accentuating the issue.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The way music works means I'm like 2 levels higher then everyone else.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

The way music works means I'm like 2 levels higher then everyone else.

I just hit level 9 last scenario as music note. The highest anyone else has gotten is like..6? Maybe 7 for one person.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

I'm missing the answer.

Also, I made a scenario progress tracking spreadsheet/flowchart after someone here suggested it. There's minor spoilers (monster types, two sentences about what it either contains or could contain) about scenarios 1-6 and just the monsters from 63.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O8EwhX1BILS_tG0LnmGbGYE5sIctqKNRoYRBAx5ndTM/edit?usp=sharing

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 12, 2018

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
How the hell are you supposed to do the solo quest for the cthulhu class?

I can clear the first room just fine, and the second one is a bit iffier but doable, but then you get the room that's just five of those loving imps, and I'm just at a loss about how you're supposed to handle those. They outrange you, they've got enough health that you can't AoE them down, even if you do the AoE stun into another AoE, and then you get hit a million times and die. I haven't even made it to the last room of ten million snakes, but I feel like it has to be way easier than trying to handle the imps.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

How the hell are you supposed to do the solo quest for the cthulhu class?

I'm honestly not sure but I feel like that's one of those solo quests that might vary rather badly depending on which way you've build your character. (Cthulhu) I don't like poison much so I opted to go curse heavy instead - lots of single or 2-target attacks but the deck hits 10 curse very quickly. Still, without all the cards to use the npcs as targets for poison, I'm not really sure how I'd go about doing that mission and I'm probably going to leave it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KingKapalone posted:

I'm missing the answer.

What scenario involves diamonds?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

What scenario involves diamonds?

One I don't know about yet I guess. I've only played 3 of them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh wow, I thought that was unlocked much earlier. It's coming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Some Numbers posted:

It's potentially an early scenario and can be reached by doing 1-->2-->3-->9 (Diamond Mine), but if you chose to follow up on the Gloom path (by going 2-->4) then you can miss it for a very long time (and can easily be locked out from doing it in the campaign at all

(spoilers for the scenario flowchart / decisions for the first chunk of the game).

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Some Numbers posted:

It can be the fourth mission, depending on which path players take.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Which one is that if you remember?

It's a treasure island side quest. Diamond doesn't have enough.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18fZc--LSrynd9P-3r96l3bnpcx8AnWLgr_ZE_1oULLo/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my campaign tracker sheet. It's cobbled together from a few different sources, but works perfectly for my group. It should be spoiler free. New items you have to add manually from the wiki if you want to keep track of them.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ajon posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18fZc--LSrynd9P-3r96l3bnpcx8AnWLgr_ZE_1oULLo/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my campaign tracker sheet. It's cobbled together from a few different sources, but works perfectly for my group. It should be spoiler free. New items you have to add manually from the wiki if you want to keep track of them.

Dang I might snag this it's pretty slick. I need to print out one of those scenario trackers too because, while it was easy to keep track before, we have a bunch right now that have quite a few conditionals before being able to access so I need to start mapping them out.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Guys I love the Scoundrel. Love love love love. I am in love with the Scoundrel. I like her pretty green colors and her crazy hair and her stab stab stab loot stab move 5 all the time. I don't want to retire her, ever.

I naturally gravitate towards rogue type classes in almost every game but I didn't get around to trying the Scoundrel until my third chracter (Brute and Sun before) and I AM NEVER GOING BACK.

Man, horses for courses. Scoundrel is the first character that i've been tempted to just put away because they are so boring to play. Possibly a consequence of playing Mindthief first, but Scoundrel just doesn't feel like there are any interesting choices to make at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mind thief does make scoundrel seem so boring. More powerful and faster sure. But mindthiefs can ruin whole rooms with a single card.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Our mindthief has an item that gives them 99 initiative when it comes to targeting, which has been really helpful in getting them up in there to murder scrubs with much less risk

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Ajon posted:

Is there a list of the scenarios in places like Corpsewood and Still River? I only added the ones that matter for retirement goals to my sheet but the rest say Neutral which looks dumb now if I could place them somewhere else.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a list of the scenarios in places like Corpsewood and Still River? I only added the ones that matter for retirement goals to my sheet but the rest say Neutral which looks dumb now if I could place them somewhere else.

I added the PQ-relevant locations from the FAQ, and then the rest by just looking at the scenario map to avoid exactly that problem and to avoid spoiling my group.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Quick question on donating to the Sanctuary of the Great Oak: Can you still donate after you've completed all of the checkmarks in the rulebook and opened envelope B? We're probably going to finish this during our city phase before our next session.

I guess spoiler the answer in case anyone doesn't want to know.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ross Perowned posted:

Can I request screencaps of this? I need them uh... for a friend

I sincerely apologize for the quality of these photos, my phone's camera has been broken for some time. If you full size them it's a bit easier to make out what they say. I'll see if he will link me the docs as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

Quick question on donating to the Sanctuary of the Great Oak: Can you still donate after you've completed all of the checkmarks in the rulebook and opened envelope B? We're probably going to finish this during our city phase before our next session.

I guess spoiler the answer in case anyone doesn't want to know.

Yes. You can always donate once per visit to Gloomhaven in order to add 2 blessings to your attack deck for the next scenario. No spoilers necessary here since it's in the rule book.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes. You can always donate once per visit to Gloomhaven in order to add 2 blessings to your attack deck for the next scenario. No spoilers necessary here since it's in the rule book.
Right, but we were concerned that something in Envelope B might change that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Right, but we were concerned that something in Envelope B might change that.

You are fine. Open it asap. You can still donate.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
For donating to the sanctuary, is it donate once per visit per person? Or just once per visit period?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Doesn't donating once(10g) only get you a single blessing for the next scenario?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Doesn't donating once(10g) only get you a single blessing for the next scenario?

remember how I said I was rereading the rules? :D

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

remember how I said I was rereading the rules? :D

omgggggggg

That church owes me some retroactive blessings....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chaitai posted:

For donating to the sanctuary, is it donate once per visit per person? Or just once per visit period?

1 per person.

10g is 2 blessing for the next scenario. Take them out after you win if they weren't used.