Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

infernal machines posted:

HoT lanes are loving trash. toll erry lane erry day

why do you hate poor people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm actually interested to see how mountain view wants their dumbass dual carpool lanes handled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
poor people can use transit. rich people who don't want to pay tolls can use transit. if transit sucks, the solution is improve transit, not subsidize single occupant vehicles

don't give me this "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" bullshit. you can solve congestion and it isn't by making roads cheaper to use

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

highway widening is all trash and i hate it

yes, tho the only place that I think needs something is 101 skyway to the bay bridge because it’s effectively a single lane with like one diverting to an exit (that isn’t needed) and a bunch of merges. it is far faster to get off on 280N to city streeets, plug up all the streets and endanger bikes, people and gridlock all public transit making them useless between 2-8pm, add local pollution and asthma to the poors, and basically total shutdown the whole 3rd/Harrison/Bryant area than it is to continue on 101

dats p hosed up. imo shut down city street onramps and turn the 4th exit into a lane

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

poor people can use transit. rich people who don't want to pay tolls can use transit. if transit sucks, the solution is improve transit, not subsidize single occupant vehicles

don't give me this "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" bullshit. you can solve congestion and it isn't by making roads cheaper to use

autonomous vehicles will fix all the traffic why do you hate the future and technology

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/973205991146717184

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man, every time we add road capacity it fills right up. better keep adding more road capacity! - an idiot moron who probably smells like old milk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

autonomous vehicles will fix all the traffic why do you hate the future and technology

:argh:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

man, every time we add road capacity it fills right up. better keep adding more road capacity! - an idiot moron who probably smells like old milk

LA.png

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
dont forget the part where you gently caress up traffic for five years while you widen the lanes (which then immediately fill up)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

https://twitter.com/prinzrob/status/973214430736482304

It’ll also get carbon-polluting cars off our roads sooner. Drivers face awful commutes in the Bay Area, especially during peak hours, and we must work toward alleviating traffic congestion.

lmao

“All we are trying to do is find out what some of the facts are on the ground so we could support a dialogue,” he said, calling the ongoing work at the bridge a “complicated cauldron of projects and impacts.”

“The $100,000 is only to help us get started for fact-finding and to look at the improvements that would be needed. You can’t just open the lane tomorrow,” he said, noting there might have to be work on roads off the bridge to accommodate another lane.

yeah maybe

but if you do it fast enough you could get the chance to drive over some bicyclists

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

—literally the sunnyvale city council

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we're planning the redevelopment of an uptown main street here in toronto. the staff approved plan was to widen the sidewalks, add bike lanes and reduce it to 4 lanes of traffic (from 6, there's also a subway line running under it)

the idiots from the surrounding neighbourhoods vetoed the plan, and substituted one that keeps everything as it is, and puts bike lanes a few blocks away, on a parallel residential street, for only $9 million more

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
counterpoint: gently caress marin and everyone in it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some psychologist wrote a book about how marin county teenagers (which was basically her whole practice) are like 80% depressed and addicted to some poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

traffic is a :gas:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

we're planning the redevelopment of an uptown main street here in toronto. the staff approved plan was to widen the sidewalks, add bike lanes and reduce it to 4 lanes of traffic (from 6, there's also a subway line running under it)

the idiots from the surrounding neighbourhoods vetoed the plan, and substituted one that keeps everything as it is, and puts bike lanes a few blocks away, on a parallel residential street, for only $9 million more

the public clearly know best
meanwhile ol' musky said at sxsw that his mars colony will be a direct democracy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not the public, just councillors from wards not actually in the redevelopment zone

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duz posted:

the public clearly know best
meanwhile ol' musky said at sxsw that his mars colony will be a direct democracy

"look i know we urgently need to fix the steadily growing crack in the atmospheric containment dome so we don't all die, but on the other hand wouldn't it be better to use this latest shipment of supplies to build more space roads so that space people can get to their space jobs and space families faster??"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bob dobbs is dead posted:

some psychologist wrote a book about how marin county teenagers (which was basically her whole practice) are like 80% depressed and addicted to some poo poo

I grew up in Sonoma county and lots of Novato friends

can confirm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
otoh that’s also like 100% true for all suburbia teens tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think a sample of all teenagers nationwide would show 80% depression and addiction rates tbh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yea that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

though if you're a psychologist it's probably a great idea to move near a techlord hub anyway because then you have an infinite supply of neurotic weirdos and their neurotic weirdo kids, and they probably are more the weird / depressed / asocial type rather than the violent / psychotic type

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like that was one of the the two main reasons my old psychologist said she moved to florida despite florida sucking: cheap rural land so she can have a horse because she loves horses, and NASA providing a limitless supply of relatively easy patients

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 12, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I grew up in marin and can attest that my experience was largely similar to this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
not that i'm a fan of Car Hell or anything but I don't understand why induced demand as a phenomenon is used as an argument against transportation infrastructure

all those extra induced trips aren't being made for the hell of it, they're people accomplishing economically beneficial tasks that they wouldn't have been able to accomplish otherwise, you're improving an urban region's capacity for people. places like rochester(?) where the highway network is absolutely comically over-provisioned aren't really a good thing imo because you've got a bunch of roads just sitting there not doing anything useful, and they're going to have an associated maintenance budget that is mostly being wasted.

the argument should be more along the lines of "stop-start traffic is a psychological irritant and we shouldn't make people endure that poo poo twice for 30 minutes every day even if the actual time spent commuting isn't that bad". i'd much rather walk for an hour than deal with bullshit traffic for half that time, because walking can often be a pleasant activity in its own right and sitting in traffic never is.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ted Kaczynski didn't want to add more road capacity though?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's also not working to improve travel times in those lanes so they're switching over to a toll model

i begin design work on the 101 "managed lane" between sf and sj in like a month

:byewhore: carpool lanes

how is the toll lane going to work? will there be a barrier, or can people just merge into the toll lane without paying the toll and hope they don't get caught, like they currently do with the hov lanes?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

not that i'm a fan of Car Hell or anything but I don't understand why induced demand as a phenomenon is used as an argument against transportation infrastructure

all those extra induced trips aren't being made for the hell of it, they're people accomplishing economically beneficial tasks that they wouldn't have been able to accomplish otherwise, you're improving an urban region's capacity for people. places like rochester(?) where the highway network is absolutely comically over-provisioned aren't really a good thing imo because you've got a bunch of roads just sitting there not doing anything useful, and they're going to have an associated maintenance budget that is mostly being wasted.

the argument should be more along the lines of "stop-start traffic is a psychological irritant and we shouldn't make people endure that poo poo twice for 30 minutes every day even if the actual time spent commuting isn't that bad". i'd much rather walk for an hour than deal with bullshit traffic for half that time, because walking can often be a pleasant activity in its own right and sitting in traffic never is.

induced demand is a stupid term and hidden demand is better. and many times its not even that its actually slightly faster, you just can tell because demand before was so high and you've only increased capacity by a tiny fraction of the pre-existing demand.

The problem with road widening is more that people are idiots and will gently caress up traffic by always being in the wrong lane. the more lanes, the more they gently caress it up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how is the toll lane going to work? will there be a barrier, or can people just merge into the toll lane without paying the toll and hope they don't get caught, like they currently do with the hov lanes?

separate lanes or ezpass like tags. no tag, you get caught on camera, fine automatically mailed to you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

separate lanes or ezpass like tags. no tag, you get caught on camera, fine automatically mailed to you.

yeah, this has been the system everywhere for ages now.

Sapozhnik posted:

get this: public transit is transit infrastructure. you can change modeshare by prioritizing improvements to public transit to make it more attractive that driving, and if you do you help reduce congestion at the same time without just adding more lanes like an idiot and hoping to stay ahead of the demand.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
LA could probably be significantly improved by public transit (real public transit, not buses) but its never gonna be as convenient as cars.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

LA could probably be significantly improved by public transit (real public transit, not buses) but its never gonna be as convenient as cars.

nothing will ever be as convenient as cars. it doesn't matter because you literally can't afford to keep using cars like that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

induced demand is a stupid term and hidden demand is better. and many times its not even that its actually slightly faster, you just can tell because demand before was so high and you've only increased capacity by a tiny fraction of the pre-existing demand.

The problem with road widening is more that people are idiots and will gently caress up traffic by always being in the wrong lane. the more lanes, the more they gently caress it up.

but widening roads does induce demand by encouraging development.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cars will never be as convenient as personal helicopters

personal helicopters will never be as convenient jetpacks

jetpacks will never be as convenient as-

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
okay, and?

the same argument applies to subways and rail services. The UK rail networks going into Megacity One are all fully privatized and, surprise surprise, they're all sardine cans because a railway franchise is a license to print money, providing a service in exchange for that money is strictly optional. Even if they weren't privatized though, you don't see anybody saying "well, let's not add any more trains going in and out of Megacity One because then they'll all just get stuffed to the brim too"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

cars will never be as convenient as personal helicopters

personal helicopters will never be as convenient jetpacks

jetpacks will never be as convenient as-

if personal helicopters and jetpacks were as cheap and easy to operate as cars everyone would definitely be using them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nothing will ever be as convenient as cars. it doesn't matter because you literally can't afford to keep using cars like that

sure we can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

okay, and?

the same argument applies to subways and rail services. The UK rail networks going into Megacity One are all fully privatized and, surprise surprise, they're all sardine cans because a railway franchise is a license to print money, providing a service in exchange for that money is strictly optional. Even if they weren't privatized though, you don't see anybody saying "well, let's not add any more trains going in and out of Megacity One because then they'll all just get stuffed to the brim too"

and we want to encourage the use of mass transit over personal transit for reasons of efficiency and pollution, so guess which one we don't want to endlessly expand.

hint: it's not the train service