Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

spb posted:

May I get a jiu-jitsu gi recommendation please?

What are you looking for, and how are you shaped?

For lightweight I like Hypnotik. For heavier/competition style I like Inverted Gear (specifically the bamboo/cotton ones). Though that’s mostly based on how they fit my particular body type, so results may vary.

Hyperfly fits a bit longer, so those are good if you’ve got long limbs.

Tatami are decent quality for a fairly low price.

Edit: checking bjjhq.com every day and waiting for one you like the look of is a pretty good strategy if cost is a concern.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bamboo Break is excellent quality for a cheaper brand.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

generatrix posted:

For lightweight I like Hypnotik. For heavier/competition style I like Inverted Gear (specifically the bamboo/cotton ones). Though that’s mostly based on how they fit my particular body type, so results may vary.

Aren't lightweight ones competition-style?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

Bamboo Break is excellent quality for a cheaper brand.

+1 for bamboo break. I bought many different gi's and even a sambo kurtka and the Bamboo Break is the one I'd go back to for BJJ.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think BJJ HQ was having a sale in Fuji Sports gi's for $99. Seems like a decent enough price.

I'm really partial to Lucki Gi for a number of reasons, my Inverted Gear gi's fit me the best though (A2H) and I feel like they should sponsor me. Shoyoroll and A&P are great if you want to be in the cool kid's club. I have a Tatami which I like as well.

I'm like 80% sure that most of the gi's are manufactured in the same place and just stitched/branded differently.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

I'm like 80% sure that most of the gi's are manufactured in the same place and just stitched/branded differently.

Yeah, they probably are.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Shoyoroll and A&P are great if you want to be in the cool kid's club. I have a Tatami which I like as well.

The Shoyoroll Gis are crap imo. The stitching is pretty bad and I have had a couple of friends tell me they wish they wouldnt have wasted money on 'em.

If you want a gi that is going to last and you plan to do Judo as well as BJJ I recommend the Judofly. Pricey and you'll probably hate it come summer, but that thing is built to last.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The Shoyoroll Gis are crap imo. The stitching is pretty bad and I have had a couple of friends tell me they wish they wouldnt have wasted money on 'em.

I own like 4 and more A&Ps. They're fine, they honestly feel higher quality than most of my other gi's. I don't know that they're worth the price point but I had an impulse buying problem.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I own like 4 and more A&Ps. They're fine, they honestly feel higher quality than most of my other gi's. I don't know that they're worth the price point but I had an impulse buying problem.

I know the feeling :D Everytime my Academy orders some new ones with a new design, Im on it. I would have bought the Judofly (my morning instructor owns one and drat its nice) but they continue to be out of my size :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The best all-purpose bang for your buck low-price gi for judo is the Jukado Keiko gi. It's suitable for BJJ too, but the Bamboo Break is a better BJJ value imo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've always liked Wushu in the sense that it looks cool.
This, however.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOW9LvqXwmA&t=157s
It gets somewhat better later on, but even so.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This, however.....

This is rad as hell, what's your issue with it?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This, however.....

I love the theatrics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is mostly for kimbo305, following a conversation in the UFC thread, which is probably better for this one...

I followed up with my coach about that ridiculous weight cut, expressing my concerns that a lightweight had cut 26 lb. It turns out that the 26 lbs was a fake social media post - they figured out that the guy's opponent was following what he was putting on facebook, so they took a picture of a scale with a bit of extra weight on it to gently caress with the guy's head. The actual cut was 165-155-171, which is much more reasonable.

So we had a laugh over that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Good tactic. Did the fighter or the coach discuss doing the cut differently given his performance?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Good tactic. Did the fighter or the coach discuss doing the cut differently given his performance?

Well coach actually says that it was a good cut, and that the performance problem was more for psychological reasons - the guy had a death in his family in the month leading up to the fight and some other poo poo that I hadn't heard about yet. When the cage closed he just kinda forgot how to fight. He's a pro fighter with some really strong offensive abilities and solid grappling, but he just looked like a white belt and folded to the first pressure. They're taking it seriously, and they're going to make sure that his entire life is in order before they let him book another fight.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Had my first BJJ class last week and a nice 65 year old japanese guy told me how to "get things done" Excited for my next class!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
With arrival of a baby, and dumb poo poo that happened during sparring, I'm not going to Sanda for awhile. I bought a heavy bag, and have been doing workouts every few days at home. I've got tatami mats that I put around the heavy bag.

What I typically do:

Pushups, squats, situps.

Then usually I do jabs, then I add cross, and and then I might add hook. I'm trying to focus more on my form, then the actual "power" of my punches, making sure that I'm keeping my guard up, and moving my hips, and feet accordingly. I'm trying to do snap punches, where I'm hitting the target and pulling back quickly. I try not to keep my feet planted, and move around the bag some.

I've been doing roundhouse kicks too. Low, body and trying to do high, but not quite there yet (too slow/weak for me to actually attempt against an opponent). My wife is not impressed at how much I bruise up my shins, but they heal quickly. Kicking with my left leg is much weaker, but definitely better than before I started.

I haven't done the teep kick, at all. I think I only did it once in class ever, and when I attempt it, it just doesn't feel right.

I've been using this FightTips video as a reference for my stances, since it matches mostly what I've been told in class:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mqj0S-ECY

Focusing on turning my hips, when I'm doing a cross punch, or roundhouse kick has really helped me improve. I've gotten more speed with my punching too, by focusing on snap punches. I used to throw a punch, and not pull it back immediately leaving myself open.

If anybody else has any advice/recommendation for something that I should include, or not be doing, in my routine, it's appreciated. I'm trying hard to make sure I'm practicing things the right way, so that I don't learn them the wrong way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
With the roundhouse, build up your shins slowly. You can add power easily if your form is good. So just kick gently and get a lot of volume in instead of bruising your shin and having to cut your drilling short.
A boxing bag is a little short for low kicking. The material packs hard into the bottom of the bag where you're kicking. But only does this hurt more, but it also doesn't provide the give your want to work on timing the recovery of the kick and returning to stance. The stronger your kicks are, the more flex you want in the bag to simulate landing on a real opponent.

I have two tips on roundhouse kicks.

1) on a kick with sufficient hip turnover, you should be able to see your glute/rear end in profile if you look at it at the point of contact. If you only see the front of the hip, you haven't rotated the hip over enough. It's way less common, but you can also rotate too much.

2) the more you are kicking with power, the more you want to be able to control the direction of the force of the kick. For a kick to the leg, the force should come in from the side, sweeping the leg across their stance if the leg is light. For pushing back a pressure fighter, you want the shin to land forward on their guard. To do that, you have to coordinate shifting your weight forward and unwinding the kicking leg slightly at the last second.
For this second kind of kick, I visualize how hard I want to land the kick as a certain weight of brick. If I have a 10lb brick tied to my shin, I need to torque my body in certain ways to accelerate the shin into the bag. In the last foot of travel, I'm picturing the brick flying straight into the bag, letting my technique sort out the mechanics to achieve that straightening.
If the brick goes up to 20lbs, I have to emphasize some of the movements in the kick to get the brick up to speed before landing the kick. By quantifying how hard I want to throw the kick, I can more easily assess whether my technique is dialed in enough. If I'm really tired, I can tell by trying to throw a 30lb kick and not getting the impact I expect.

One more general tip -- when working by yourself for extended periods early on, you might have your technique drift away from ideal. When you can, you should record some video of yourself and show it to your coach, or hell, even here. It's a way to have a very definite measure of your technique in progress.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

wrong way posted:

Had my first BJJ class last week and a nice 65 year old japanese guy told me how to "get things done" Excited for my next class!

Awesome, welcome to the pajama hug club.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I had my first muay thai class after being sick and inactive for a week. I was sure that it would be one long continuous near-death experience but it actually went well! Even the warmup exercise that usually kicks my rear end went ok!

Next class on Wednesday and I'm already looking forwards to it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

wrong way posted:

Welcome to the addiction!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hey Jay have you done one of Jeff Glovers leglock seminars? Interested in checking out the one he's got going on in Irvine coming up here shortly. If its anything close to how good his deep half one was, I know it will be worth it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Hey Jay have you done one of Jeff Glovers leglock seminars? Interested in checking out the one he's got going on in Irvine coming up here shortly. If its anything close to how good his deep half one was, I know it will be worth it.

I have not. For as long as I've known Jeff I've only ever trained with him twice (my bad)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I have not. For as long as I've known Jeff I've only ever trained with him twice (my bad)

No prob, just curious. Im sure it will be good.

I have a friend that is blind that trains (he was blown up by a roadside bomb in Iraq) and any time I get the chance to do a seminar I take him with me. We'll be hitting this one up too.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

How do you BJJ folks deal with piercings? I just got my cartilage pierced and want to avoid potential infection and pain.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Patrovsky posted:

How do you BJJ folks deal with piercings? I just got my cartilage pierced and want to avoid potential infection and pain.

piercings and bjj are a bad mix. I have earings that I remove frequently. I'm not sure how to handle the cartilage piercing, because BJJ fucks up your ear cartilage generally, and probably wouldn't be very good would be completely hostile to its healing.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Piercings and bjj do not work.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also most other fight sports

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Patrovsky posted:

I'm pretty sure you just chose having piercings over a healthy, lifelong practice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You take your piercings out before getting on the mat.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You take your piercings out before getting on the mat.

And wear ear pro to protect your ears from getting mangled

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I don't have any piercings, but headgear would work for earnings, right? We had a guy at our academy that had gauges and he just took them out before rolling, worked fine.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
One of my old judo coaches had dual nipple rings and refused to wear any sort of rash guard. Always made me nervous sparring with him.

I've seen people tape up various facial piercings but it seems like it'd be a pain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

spandexcajun posted:

I don't have any piercings, but headgear would work for earnings, right? We had a guy at our academy that had gauges and he just took them out before rolling, worked fine.

You couldn't pay me to roll with gauged ears without taping them up. I can just imagine someone getting a thumb through the hole...

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I'm starting think I might just be better off sticking with Boxing and MT for a couple of months while it heals.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Getting punched on a piercing is also very bad, amigo

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

We have a guy at our gym that has piercings and he has to leave them in for a while. He just wears headgear when he rolls.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Willie_dee, you may stand down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Neon Belly posted:

Willie_dee, you may stand down.

His accomplice is still at large, remain vigilant!