Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

aphid_licker posted:

Man the late stage EU4 user interface is a loving clusterfuck.

I got a mission in a Japanese game to hire a Shinobi and "implement vetting", and I spent five minutes trying to figure out if there was a 'vetting' button buried in some sub-menu somewhere until I googled it and found out it's one of the ideas in the espionage idea group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

algebra testes posted:

Is there a good game in Rome 2? Isn't Rome 2 like starting EU4 as France at the height of their powers?

You can play as things that aren't france in EU4.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
We've got a weekly HOI4 game going on in a week, you all should join us!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850781

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Speaking of weekly games, there's still probably going to be a Thursday Stellaris game, but the one I am hosting has moved to Saturdays. Check it out if the time I mentioned previously didn't work for you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850158

Come on, you know you want to play with these guys:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Ok I'm one of those weirdos that still play Vic2 yet I don't follow paradox stuff much. What great new mods are the kids playing these days? I still play (a probably really outdated version of) the New Nations Mod. I like more historical events and more countries than in Vanilla. Whats good?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Evil Agita posted:

Ok I'm one of those weirdos that still play Vic2 yet I don't follow paradox stuff much. What great new mods are the kids playing these days? I still play (a probably really outdated version of) the New Nations Mod. I like more historical events and more countries than in Vanilla. Whats good?

I've been playing with Historical Project Mod recently and I like it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-project-mod

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

VostokProgram posted:

I've been playing with Historical Project Mod recently and I like it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-project-mod

Excellent, thanks I'm downloading it now. Open to other suggestions too- I have 4 days off! :2bong:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Agita posted:

It's also pretty old (but then so is Vicky 2 itself), but the Pop Demand Mod/Pops of Darkness mod is basically an expansion of New Nations Mod. It's basically Victoria 2 But More, so if you're already used to the base game you won't really see anything too crazy or difficult to grasp in PDM, although the military balance is different and it doesn't include some of the changes made in the recent patch since I don't believe it's been updated since then (it still works, though).

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Evil Agita posted:

Excellent, thanks I'm downloading it now. Open to other suggestions too- I have 4 days off! :2bong:

We've been running a multiplayer v2 game on Fridays over at mapgoons based on the divergences of darkness mod, which is pretty fun. I'd post the link but SA keeps switching it to video for some reason.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's also pretty old (but then so is Vicky 2 itself), but the Pop Demand Mod/Pops of Darkness mod is basically an expansion of New Nations Mod. It's basically Victoria 2 But More, so if you're already used to the base game you won't really see anything too crazy or difficult to grasp in PDM, although the military balance is different and it doesn't include some of the changes made in the recent patch since I don't believe it's been updated since then (it still works, though).

isn't NNM actually a pared down version of PDM?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PLEASE DON'T TOY WITH ME LIKE THIS PARADOX

edit: The new HOI4 DLC is loving hilarious

They made Byzantium formable too :laugh:

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Currently putting together an AAR where I've been playing as Kaiserin Victoria during Waking The Tiger development.
Didn't expect people to find her THIS quickly...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Groogy posted:

Currently putting together an AAR where I've been playing as Kaiserin Victoria during Waking The Tiger development.

Our hearts hunger for Victoria III.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Release Victoria IV already

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Groogy posted:

Blame r/hoi4 reading through all the scripts.

I gotta say I love the alternate history stuff. I never could bring myself to play as Germany because ya know, Nazis but now I can and it's great how robust the alternate paths are for Germany. You can have WW2 except Germany isn't evil, or you can team up with the UK or you can become the protector of Central and Northern Europe. Really good stuff.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Evil Agita posted:

I enjoy Divergences of Darkness a lot, it’s an alt-history mod that uses PDM!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Doesn't PDM completely snap the economy in half with all the new goods? I seem to remember that in the one or two games I played with it almost every country in the world, even the GP's, were in a constant bankruptcy death spiral while I had millions and millions because I was the only one who bothered to build the pharmaceutials factory or whatever.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Is there a Surviving Mars thread (I know it’s Paradox-published, not developed). The streams with Suzie and Nicky have been hilarious.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Doesn't PDM completely snap the economy in half with all the new goods? I seem to remember that in the one or two games I played with it almost every country in the world, even the GP's, were in a constant bankruptcy death spiral while I had millions and millions because I was the only one who bothered to build the pharmaceutials factory or whatever.

Kind of, but this thread or the old one used to hate PDM (and MEIOU) so that was probably exaggerated here. It does make the game easier because money is so plentiful but iirc bankruptcy spirals mainly hit smaller countries. I wouldn't call it significantly worse than vanilla in that regard, though it does add totally unnecessary complexity.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Who is Kaiserin Victoria supposed to be? Didn't Empress Victoria die like 40 years before WW2? Or is this just an easter egg thing

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
edit, wrong never mind.

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 12, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

COOL CORN posted:

Who is Kaiserin Victoria supposed to be? Didn't Empress Victoria die like 40 years before WW2? Or is this just an easter egg thing

Wilhelm II's daughter and youngest child.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

COOL CORN posted:

I have absolutely no idea who it's actually supposed to be, but if I were to guess based on the royal family, it'd be Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheMcD posted:

I have absolutely no idea who it's actually supposed to be, but if I were to guess based on the royal family, it'd be Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia.

Ah, that's it exactly. There's so many Victorias in the Germany/Prussia region, I didn't see that one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
tbf all the male kings of Prussia were Wilhelm or Friedrich (or Freidrich Wilhelm). Not an imaginative family, those hohenzollerns

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

COOL CORN posted:

Looks like Vladimir Putin to me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Is there a Surviving Mars thread (I know it’s Paradox-published, not developed). The streams with Suzie and Nicky have been hilarious.

I came here with the same question; I couldn’t find one.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just discuss it here, so I can read what's up with that game. Some of the nerds might go back to bitching about it not being realistic because it's not underground but that's kinda funny to see.
I've not bought the game yet but I might play it just so I don't get burned out on the amazing new HoI expansion.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tahirovic posted:

Just discuss it here, so I can read what's up with that game. Some of the nerds might go back to bitching about it not being realistic because it's not underground but that's kinda funny to see.
I've not bought the game yet but I might play it just so I don't get burned out on the amazing new HoI expansion.

Fair enough. I pre-ordered it but I’ve been avoiding the streams so that I go into it a little fresh. Hopefully that won’t come back at me and mean I have to fritter away time figuring out the mechanics. I know there’s a place for it at the Pdox forums but it seems to have a high ratio of arguments about whether wind power would actually work on Mars, which sponsors should be better/worse, whether women would be sent to Mars, etc

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pirate Radar posted:

Fair enough. I pre-ordered it but I’ve been avoiding the streams so that I go into it a little fresh. Hopefully that won’t come back at me and mean I have to fritter away time figuring out the mechanics. I know there’s a place for it at the Pdox forums but it seems to have a high ratio of arguments about whether wind power would actually work on Mars, which sponsors should be better/worse, whether women would be sent to Mars, etc

Can't wait till they see that it has non-binary colonists.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm getting surviving Mars and setting myself up with the hard religious start at first. Few initial colonists, higher birth rate. Mormons will populate the red planet!

Been watching Quill18 play it and figure I have enough of a grasp on its core mechanics to not fail in the first 10 days.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hahahaha it does, awesome

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m pretty hype for it, I like extracting resources and moving them around to build even more poo poo to extract resources. I’m a little skeptical about the control you have over moving the poo poo around on the map, since it looks to be up to a bunch of cute little drones to decide what to do. Kind of gives a dwarf fortress vibe to me in that respect, stockpile management. Drone fortress.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

Because why take a game as a game, it has to be realistic to a detail where it becomes unplayable and unfun. At least the devs don't listen to them a lot and they have their meltdowns over it, which is fun to watch.

I lost my ability to feel human when paradox decided carrots could grow on Mars!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

as an irl space colonist, i have many things to say on the subject of colonizing other planets [1/42069]

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tahirovic posted:

Because why take a game as a game, it has to be realistic to a detail where it becomes unplayable and unfun. At least the devs don't listen to them a lot and they have their meltdowns over it, which is fun to watch.

I lost my ability to feel human when paradox decided carrots could grow on Mars!

It’s not even that because, like, NASA is pretty sure wind power would be viable on Mars and it’s not like periods actually make someone unfit for space travel. I’m happy to bite into some grognardy “well, this variant of the T-72 had...” kind of poo poo, but they’re just being nasty about poo poo in a game set in the future.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That is kind of odd, does the game have separate gender and sex traits for colonists or do non-binary colonists get locked out of making babies altogether?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Enjoy posted:

That is kind of odd, does the game have separate gender and sex traits for colonists or do non-binary colonists get locked out of making babies altogether?

Doesn't have a visible tracking of the difference, but I have no idea if it has a hidden stat for baby making.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think you can research artificial wombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Same, but Mechwarriors in Battletech. There WILL be angry grogs on the PDX Fourm. :allears:

I'm cautiously optimistic for Surviving Mars, but all the videos I've seen look kinda samey? I'm worried it won't have much substance to the style. Gonna wait for trip reports from you guys and reviews in general.