Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I already grabbed Ignis's character switch and I'm going to get Prompto's next.

When it comes to the "episode" DLCs: story-wise, should I do those post-game, or do them about when they're "supposed" to be in the main game's story?

Gladio’s really can be done whenever without spoilers. Prompto’s now that I think about it should be done around when it occurs in the story to make a certain scene in the main story a little less dumb. Ignis absolutely, positively should not be done without completing the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

It must tell you at some point, because i never had a problem with it and im a huge idiot.

it says it/makes you do it in the tutorial nobody played, and I think does one text box about it in the main game where people just assume it works like a QTE instead of reading it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What is the better game between this and Xenoblade 2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I wish is that I had more options to prevent my party members from taking damage. This kinda goes for Kingdom Hearts, too, or really anything with AI-controlled party members. They're sort of inevitably going to take damage and get taken out because it would be weird if they couldn't, but as a player I have little input over when and how that happens so sometimes it feels like I'm being punished (needing to spend healing resources) through no fault of my own.

Ignis's Regroup will likely be helpful for this, I'm sure.

This is sort of an idle complaint because I can't really think of what I'd implement that wouldn't just make the combat system and utter mess, so to be fair maybe there really isn't a better solution. There's already a lot to do to keep Noctis alive while doing damage and balancing MP spending.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Gladio’s really can be done whenever without spoilers. Prompto’s now that I think about it should be done around when it occurs in the story to make a certain scene in the main story a little less dumb. Ignis absolutely, positively should not be done without completing the story.

Cool, thanks. Now I'm really curious what gets revealed in Ignis's DLC that makes it something that should be saved for last.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It straight up shows the ending

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do you prefer Bros or Hos?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

It straight up shows the ending

Oh, welp, that'd do it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Harrow posted:

Cool, thanks. Now I'm really curious what gets revealed in Ignis's DLC that makes it something that should be saved for last.

Ignis' DLC straight up includes footage from the ending, in addition to having an alternate ending that loses a lot of its impact without the context of having seen the regular ending.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've heard that the Ignis DLC is the best one so that's something to look forward to after finishing the story, then :v:

Unrelated question: How much attention should I pay to Elemancy? I'm encouraged by the accessory that prevents friendly fire since I suspect that would get annoying. (I know that your party members take minimal damage but constantly staggering them and hearing them react to it would get old fast.)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It, at the very least, has the sexiest boy getting even sexier.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Gladio's dlc shows where he got his Cool Scar that he shows up with later, Prompto's reveals his entire backstory, and Ignis literally just explains the entire game's plot including the ending. So it's a bit spoiler heavy yes

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I've heard that the Ignis DLC is the best one so that's something to look forward to after finishing the story, then :v:

Unrelated question: How much attention should I pay to Elemancy? I'm encouraged by the accessory that prevents friendly fire since I suspect that would get annoying. (I know that your party members take minimal damage but constantly staggering them and hearing them react to it would get old fast.)

Magic is ludicrously powerful in ffxv. You can just smash a bunch of elements together and look for a good catalyst for a big number. Everything will melt before you.

Expericast is also a fantastic way to get xp. The game doesn’t tell you this, but the xp counts for the whole party.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Elemancy lets you grenade clustered enemies and it inflicts massive damage in the process, also if you find any Debased (Coins, Silverpieces) then you can add those to the mix to generate absolutely ludicrous amounts of experience points in the process, if that's something you are interested in.

Modest AP investments let you collect much larger quantities of energy from draw points, and sidequests get you a bunch of magic jars, so it becomes a lot less tedious to maintain your stockpile too.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do you want the game to be "anime" go for FFXV. Do you want it to be "obnoxiously anime" choose XB2. Honestly I couldn't stand XB2 for very long while FFXV is one of my favorite JRPGs in a long time.

See also: Valkyria Chronicles vs VC2, Monster Hunter vs God Eater.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 12, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Theyre both janky as hell titles that are getting constantly patched to improvement but one of them despises you and your time and the other is FFXV.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

FWIW, the XB2 devs worked on Breath of the Wild’s world.

FFXV isn’t a great open-world game, but it is a fun time with 3 interesting characters and Gladio.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jared noo

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Xenoblade was better than FFXIII

Xenoblade 2 was worse than FFXV

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Die Sexmonster! posted:

FWIW, the XB2 devs worked on Breath of the Wild’s world.

Is that... supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Xenoblade 2 and FFXV are both good IMO.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Breath of the Wild was my favorite Zelda since Link to the Past, it’s very very good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Its what they did instead of making any of Xenoblade 2 fun to explore or putting in a sensible map system.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pureauthor posted:

Did you know that all wrestling signs are 100% fact and legally upheld in all courts?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

Get techniques asap! Gladio has some extremely powerful attacks, and Starshell is nice for the boss fights which mostly tend to be demons

otoh necromancers and skeletons aren't demons...

Harrow posted:

Elemenacy is a powerful weapon that lets you take on enemies who are (somewhat) more powerful than you. It's great for clearing Imperials, and great cc when you notice a bunch of enemies grouping up together.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 12, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like spells for Noctis casually tossing one up behind his back to cause a massive explosion. That animation rules.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's been quite awhile since I was last here. Just picked up FFXV on PC and am really digging it so far. I dig the battle system being a deceptively simple KH style of thing but I'm still managing to be bad at it starting off. Game is pretty even though I have to chunk it on low settings. The boys are all rad and I'm gonna enjoy this roadtrip with the bros.

Oh also I got this funky graphical glitch and it amused me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh also I got this funky graphical glitch and it amused me.

my favorite graphical glitch is that if prompto takes a photo under the roof in galdin quay, the lighting is weird and it turns out like this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ahaha I thought that was just me

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Aren't they just supposed to be filters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

my favorite graphical glitch is that if prompto takes a photo under the roof in galdin quay, the lighting is weird and it turns out like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPAVDHo1Elc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Aren't they just supposed to be filters

That's not a filter, it's a lighting error because the game is calculating gain and brightness based on outdoors conditions and treating the tarp over the restaurant as a huge, dark shadow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

:getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pureauthor posted:

Monolith's world design crew are top tier. Despite XCX's various flaws, exploring that world was awesome and while flying skells made the world much 'smaller' it was still fun being able to fly up high to check out all sorts of cool locations. And to get that one PoI just north of NLA that taunts you and your attempts to completely map the area. :argh:

Cloud's looking extra creepy in the FF7 remake.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Prompto just looks weird as gently caress in photos in general and I’m glad pc players get to experience it now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh man oh jeez I just tried taking control of Ignis and a million tutorials went by and I can't remember any of them :saddowns:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I tried to take control of Prompto and now I'm just left wondering why he's been hiding an assault rifle from me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I tried to take control of Prompto and now I'm just left wondering why he's been hiding an assault rifle from me.

i mean what did you think he was doing in combat, throwing rocks at people?

(tbf given how not-useful he is in battle he might as well have been)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just did the bit where Noctis and the bros take Iris on a goofy road trip, and holy freaking poo poo; watching her suplex an alligator with her big bro never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The other reason why Ignis and Prompto are better character swaps is that they have all this fun bullshit while Gladio is basically the exact same as he is as a party member.