Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Shifty Pony posted:

This is so loving strange. A few weeks ago another guy got killed by a similar explosion which at the time seemed to be an isolated incident.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/man-faces-federal-charges-connected-to-mishawaka-pipe-bomb-scare

Remember all the 'scary clown' stories that popped up on local news in the run-up to the election?

Stochastic Terrorism. Fostering the conditions that create a likelihood of lone wolf actors perpetrating attacks. There's a 'viral' trend to it, just like suicide, just like running protesters over with your car, just like knifing security officers. Neuro-Linguistic Programming is a nonsense cult, but there's bits they get right - humans are mimics.

This is something the Internet Research Agency understands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So we have a new unabomber?

Based on the blast size, more of a Unibomber.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
A whole bunch of countries have voluntarily deferred nuclear programs, either in the very late stages (South Africa, Taiwan, Brazil) or earlier (Argentina, Switzerland, and South Korea). A bunch more have nuclear capability but never even bothered to start (Canada and Sweden are the main ones, tho Canada was so involved with the Manhattan Project and NORAD that it makes nearly no difference).

Nuclear proliferation is actually a really complicated history. :eng101:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

south africa did.

tbf, they only did because their metal gear got destroyed.

edit : Remember the knock out game? Which doesn't make any sense, at all.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Uglycat posted:

Remember all the 'scary clown' stories that popped up on local news in the run-up to the election?

I just learned that every british clown (and some american clowns) have a clown egg that works as a primitive tribal form of copyright.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Uglycat posted:

http://wsbt.com/news/local/man-faces-federal-charges-connected-to-mishawaka-pipe-bomb-scare

Stochastic Terrorism. Fostering the conditions that create a likelihood of lone wolf actors perpetrating attacks. There's a 'viral' trend to it, just like suicide, just like running protesters over with your car, just like knifing security officers. Neuro-Linguistic Programming is a nonsense cult, but there's bits they get right - humans are mimics.

This is something the Internet Research Agency understands.

ugh

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

A whole bunch of countries have voluntarily deferred nuclear programs, either in the very late stages (South Africa, Taiwan, Brazil) or earlier (Argentina, Switzerland, and South Korea). A bunch more have nuclear capability but never even bothered to start (Canada and Sweden are the main ones, tho Canada was so involved with the Manhattan Project and NORAD that it makes nearly no difference).

The running theme in all of those though is that they either have relative safety (SA, Brazil, Argentina, Switzerland), or are backed by a close ally with nukes (Taiwan, South Korea).

I doubt say, a middle eastern country would be willing to part with nukes, no matter how benevolent the leadership.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

it looks like that dog eats it on the jump

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also Japan could probably have a nuke like in three days if they decided to.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Sean Spicer in brownface, smdh

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/973265289906479105

Iowa Senate leader is literally in bed with lobbyists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

it looks like that dog eats it on the jump

Its a bad dog gif because it drew the exact opposite reaction as intended. I'm scared for the doggie and filled with dread now. I could have just read news.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Maggie Haberman sold her soul for access and Trump STILL shits all over her... Good.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Astros visited Trump today:

https://deadspin.com/jose-altuves-day-at-the-white-house-looked-pretty-awkwa-1823704161

lol

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

VH4Ever posted:

WTF this is the third one in a week. Strange. Austin is great but it seems sometimes to be a magnet for nuts. See: the tax angry guy who crashed his plane, the rock thrower, etc.

Three wackos in 8 years doesn't sound too bad.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This is a bad cover and it makes me feel ashamed of my nation. Thanks a bunch. :mad:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/973287621484040203

What is Betsy seeing in these 2 graphs that prove her point? I'm really trying to understand how she could look at those charts and arrive to the conclusion that they support her position.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/973265289906479105

Iowa Senate leader is literally in bed with lobbyists.

He really wanted to drain her swamp, if you know what I mean.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Javes posted:

What is Betsy seeing in these 2 graphs that prove her point? I'm really trying to understand how she could look at those charts and arrive to the conclusion that they support her position.

The Michigan GOP is a criminal organization. Snyder should be in jail for the rest of his life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zwabu posted:

He really wanted to drain her swamp, if you know what I mean.
I don't, can you please explain?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Peep dat neck pussy

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

awesmoe posted:

south africa did, but agreed that was a rare case

They're also widely speculated to have a deal in place with Israel to give them nukes if they ever want them back.

I'm a nuclear cynic in that I believe that complete disarmament is a fantasy. Without going all the way it leaves the world divided into truly sovereign nations and nations that will probably get to keep their seaports unless a neighboring state with nukes wants them. Letting Russia take Crimea was such an insanely stupid move with repercussions on world politics for probably the next 50 years:

A document signed by morons in 1994 posted:

The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Welcoming the accession of Ukraine to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons as non-nuclear-weapon State, Taking into account the commitment of Ukraine to eliminate all nuclear weapons from its territory within a specified period of time, Noting the changes in the world-wide security situation, including the end of the Cold War, which have brought about conditions for deep reductions in nuclear forces.

Confirm the following:

1. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine.

2. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in self-defence or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations.

3. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind.

4. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used.

5. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm, in the case of Ukraine, their commitment not to use nuclear weapons against any non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a State in association or alliance with a nuclear-weapon State.

6. Ukraine, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America will consult in the event a situation arises that raises a question concerning these commitments.

So that was worth less than the paper it was written on, and don't think that various states with aggressive neighbors didn't take notice.

E:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just learned that every british clown (and some american clowns) have a clown egg that works as a primitive tribal form of copyright.

I thought Terry Pratchett made that up for one of the early Guards novels. Cool that it's a real thing.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 12, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Peep dat neck pussy

:nws:https://reviewsbybethany.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/5be85-hugh2bjackman2bballs.jpg:nws:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Javes posted:

"Conservatism can not fail, it can only be failed", I'm pretty sure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Javes posted:

she's just trying to point out "schools are bad, i know how to make them better!" while hoping nobody points out her pet policies have been tested and demonstrated to also be bad, in real world conditions

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

legit just learned about Movie 43 thanks to this thread

thanks thread

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

There are 123 districts more Trumpy than Saccone/Lamb's.

Gianforte: +20.4
Saccone/Lamb: +19.6
Paul Ryan: +10.3
Devin Nunes: +9.5
Price/Handel: +1.5
Rohrabacher: -1.7

There is a series of coffee-themed extremely conservative Reps:

Coincidence, or something more insidious?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

The Michigan GOP is a criminal organization. Snyder should be in jail for the rest of his life.

Preach it until it becomes reality :pray:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Phobic Nest posted:

Dang, when Trump gets obsessed with people he really turns up the creep factor.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/12/when-the-president-of-the-united-states-calls-you-a-son-of-a-bitch-217347

I HATE YOU I HATE YOU please love me

Trump is the ultimate tsundere.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

FizFashizzle posted:

Also Japan could probably have a nuke like in three days if they decided to.

Yeah Japan is definitely on the list, but in NP terms they're a pretty obvious black swan on account of the JDF being 100% America's poodle for the first 30 years of its existence, so the "one big reason" they eschewed nukes is pretty widely understood.

Taiwan is more useful as an analogue for modern situations like NK or Iran or whatever, because at the time of their de-nuclearization they were a military dictatorship under threat from a vastly more powerful foe, and only gave up nukes because America forced them to. It can happen, it works, it's not inevitable that people just nuclearize willy-nilly.

It just requires, you know, American leadership. :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/973242561035997190

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I wonder if he ever put an onion on his belt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I thought these were a Chicago thing? HOW DEEP DOES THE BOB GO?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Yeah Japan is definitely on the list, but in NP terms they're a pretty obvious black swan on account of the JDF being 100% America's poodle for the first 30 years of its existence, so the "one big reason" they eschewed nukes is pretty widely understood.

Taiwan is more useful as an analogue for modern situations like NK or Iran or whatever, because at the time of their de-nuclearization they were a military dictatorship under threat from a vastly more powerful foe, and only gave up nukes because America forced them to. It can happen, it works, it's not inevitable that people just nuclearize willy-nilly.

It just requires, you know, American leadership. :v:

Taiwan has a legitimate need for IRBMs though. :coal:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

No country is going to give up nukes irregardless of their leadership, that's been true for a really, really long time. Agreeing to a disarmament is essentially saying "sure, I'l happily give away this thing that guarantees that my country will never face an existential threat and also requires [relatively] little maintenance compared to a similarly powerful army"

It's basically a pipe dream that is coincidentally spearheaded by the country that would benefit the most from smaller countries not getting nukes.

24 years isn't a "really, really long time".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

legit just learned about Movie 43 thanks to this thread

thanks thread

I'm so so sorry.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OddObserver posted:

24 years isn't a "really, really long time".

It's a long time in the sense that in between then and now, several countries that gave up their nuclear programs got owned.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought these were a Chicago thing? HOW DEEP DOES THE BOB GO?
Bob's Discount Furniture has plagued the northeast for decades my friend, he is a scourge upon affordable adspace everywhere
nms that poo poo

• Locked thread