Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Quavers posted:

I'm eagerly anticipating more funny anecdotes about Star Citizen or CIG. Are they stressed about Space Court? 3.1? Bird Culling? :pray:

You have to pay Derek 10 bux to join his supa sekrit forum to see the good stuff .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SomethingJones posted:

Q:
And improvements to persistence as well?

Erin Roberts:
Em... to... to... em... persistence and stuff yes there's a lot of improvements to persistence, there's improvements to ECONOMY, so we make it so, you know... you know... so... you know... it... it's gonna be, you know... uhm... the, you know... no... eeehhh CARRYING CARGO to make it on your map and stuff, how that works is gonna be different in terms of what you do and how you're doing things like that.

So THAT sort of level of stuff will come in, and then obviously the next BIG iteration for all that kind of stuff will be 3.2... um... where we're gonna add a BUNCH of new FEATURES such as mining, um... and SALVAGING and stuff like that.

So people can go and MINE and make money that way, um, SALVAGE and um... things like that.

Q:
So you've chosen to not have a presentation at Gamescom this year, can you tell me more about that decision?

Erin Roberts:
Eh, well ah... the MAIN reason was uh, was... it was actually uh... that was more ME than anybody else, because every year at Gamescom, even though it's really COOL and we love doing it and the big th...

I mean look, ah... we... we... LOOK, to start with we WILL be at Gamescom, we're gonna be, I mean... I will actually be there and some other people and so forth, em, so we do our sort of like our um... COMMUNITY EVENTS so we'll have like big ARTS and stuff and like MEETINGS and there will be some extra (unintelligible) there

What we're NOT doing is the big presentation and the main reason for that is it's a HUGE uhm... DEV DRAIN... which, ah.. because THIS year we're really trying to get this CADENCE of delivering constant um... ah... eh... you know... STUFF to the community, we want to basically make sure that we have, uhm...

Uh, we... we... you know... we're delivering, um, you know... like I said... you know... you know... you know... EVERY QUARTER plus you know, any other PATCHES we're doing between SO FORTH, the... you know, having to DEAL WITH both a CITCON and a GAMESCOM is a HUGE ISSUE because it takes you OFF what you're trying to do, the CADENCE of what you're doing of trying to deliver this kind of STUFF and then you've to go, 'OK what's the DEMO we're gonna do' and all this kind of STUFF

And it... it's the SAME PEOPLE who are trying to actually get the STUFF... all these FEATURES out to the community who are also putting these PRESENTATIONS together to show where the TECH's going and so forth, so...

The decision was made well, you know, um... you know... based on... THANKFULLY for me because I was really pushing for it was that, 'OK well we WON'T do Gamescom this year', ah... and so that really allows us to concentrate on THIS stuff and also it means we can really concentrate on a new format for Citizencon which is, which... which we did last year, um...

We really enjoyed and we think the community did as well and we can actually get a lot more of our people over and we can have a lot of oh... chom-pu-ooa... THIS YEAR... we're... we're doing it in AUSTIN THIS YEAR um... ehm... you know the DATES will soon be, uhm, going out to people and SO FORTH AND THINGS but...

The plan is to... uhm... we're gonna go BIGGER, we're gonna basically have... have a lot of uhm... ah... MORE, you know... PEOPLE involved... in terms of doing TALKS and stuff like that, you know at that kinda LEVEL... and obviously you know, and of course there'll always be a KEYNOTE from CHRIS and all that kind of stuff.

Do we need to put you on meltdown watch again?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

Don't be too hard on Erin. He doesn't look like he's got long left. He looks like a novelty inflatable Erin in his current state.

At least he put the kibosh on a Gamescom crunch. A tender mercy for the Devs and Gamescom 2017 won’t be topped for :lol:s anyway.

I sometimes still can’t believe the riches showered upon gaming history by Chris’s big moment public events. Thank goodness he never hired a competent, hands-on VP of Marketing or we might never have known one let alone several.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

EminusSleepus posted:

no

that partnership was long ago when they started their Kickstarter and croberts smells there is talent in them and wanted to leech their talent

Get a load of that dog

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

monkeytek posted:

Anyone notice the faux brick wall roll-a-way in the last picture? For one of Sandi's indy films I'm guessing :)

Its this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnUMgzFUvHE

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
oh... chom-pu-ooa

I like this almost as much as Ya Whoa Did Ep Did Ah Whoa Did.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

EightAce posted:

You have to pay Derek 10 bux to join his supa sekrit forum to see the good stuff .

Trying to coax someone into joining his hive of sickening facts-not-truth.... shame on you :colbert:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

:gary:

"Servers patch notes deemed unimportant"

"I love Star Citizen. All those millions of patches we get every year"

"I blame the netcode too. No-one can stop me. It's the netcode's fault."

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen | Erin Roberts Interview Uncut March 2018
March 12, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkteNWutOz8&t=1857s

Q:
Will this be more Squadron 42 based? Are you planning to provide any extra content updates after Squadron 42 Episode One is released or just patches and bugfixes?

Erin Roberts:
Yeah I mean at the MOMENT it's... I mean the PLAN is... is... it's SQUADRON, and we HOPE we won't be patching it, a-haha! I mean really, SQUADRON for us is gonna be, eh... we REALLY wanna make sure... and that's not a big thing that's why I'm kind of... very... quiet about it and don't show it too much... until we you know... until we want you know to do different stuff and things but...

THAT'S the thing we wanna release, and when we release it we don't want to have, you know... I don't... well... WE WON'T RELEASE IT if... if we...

And the GREAT thing about the way we do this is, you know... we... we... when... and especially because we're LIVE and you know we can just... you know, you DOWNLOAD it... is we don't have you know... we don't have some problem where somebody says, 'Well you have to get to MANUFACTURING by this date, oh well we'll just finish this off and we'll patch it later'

So, you know, we want that FIRST experience when it comes out, we feel it's a good experience the first time it goes out and people will really BLOW THEIR MIND

But Squadron because obviously A, we think it's a massive great story and a brilliant game, and we wanna make sure we don't RUIN it, so...

So Squadron WILL come out when it's ready, so hopefully, on the PATCH side, you know, I... I mean you can't say... MAYBE there'll be one or two EDGE CASE PCs and we'll find some problem and fix it, there's a little patch for THAT... but hopefully... hopefully it should really work well.

Straight after that, the plan will be to go straight on to the second episode.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

iospace posted:

Do we need to put you on meltdown watch again?

gently caress yes

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SomethingJones posted:

Q:
And improvements to persistence as well?

Erin Roberts:
Em... to... to... em... persistence and stuff yes there's a lot of improvements to persistence, there's improvements to ECONOMY, so we make it so, you know... you know... so... you know... it... it's gonna be, you know... uhm... the, you know... no... eeehhh CARRYING CARGO to make it on your map and stuff, how that works is gonna be different in terms of what you do and how you're doing things like that.

So THAT sort of level of stuff will come in, and then obviously the next BIG iteration for all that kind of stuff will be 3.2... um... where we're gonna add a BUNCH of new FEATURES such as mining, um... and SALVAGING and stuff like that.

So people can go and MINE and make money that way, um, SALVAGE and um... things like that.

No, I loving don't know, that's why we're asking YOU! Stop using that phrase as if this is all totally obvious poo poo. How are you, Mr. Roberts, going to implement these things in your game, SPECIFICALLY? Use complete sentences and show your work. Are you going to archer Elite Dangerous only with less fun and more immersion fidelity bullshit?

Hell, at this point, they'd cream their pants to have a lovely version of Elite Dangerous' gameplay.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Refactoring pipelines...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SomethingJones posted:

Erin Roberts:
THAT sort of level of stuff will come in, and then obviously the next BIG iteration for all that kind of stuff will be 3.2... um... where we're gonna add a BUNCH of new FEATURES

I feel like the language here is super telling. "Obviously any gameplay features are pushed out to the next patch, whichever patch that is..." like that people listening should realize nothing of substance is ever delivered right now.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
All the poo poo excuses coming from these people sound exactly like what I said to my teachers in middle school when I hadn't done any of the assignments for the last month.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

At least he put the kibosh on a Gamescom crunch. A tender mercy for the Devs and Gamescom 2017 won’t be topped for :lol:s anyway.

I sometimes still can’t believe the riches showered upon gaming history by Chris’s big moment public events. Thank goodness he never hired a competent, hands-on VP of Marketing or we might never have known one let alone several.

If they had anything that worked they could rent booths at every trade show this year and staff it with community reps - like every other company in every single field does.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SoftNum posted:

I feel like the language here is super telling. "Obviously any gameplay features are pushed out to the next patch, whichever patch that is..." like that people listening should realize nothing of substance is ever delivered right now.

It's the same stuff Chris has been saying for years. All these FEATURES are coming in 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.6, 3.0, and now 3.2

Same poo poo, different version number.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Star Citizen: so, you know...em...to...er...uh

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SomethingJones posted:

It's the same stuff Chris has been saying for years. All these FEATURES are coming in 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.6, 3.0, and now 3.2

Same poo poo, different version number.

I just like the wording choice...

"It should be obvious to all of you know that new gameplay features will never be finished and released, just talked about in passing, and promised in the future..."

Not even a like "Hey sorry mining didn't make it in for the 4th straight release in spite of being almost done for year(s)." Just "You should know better by now."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: OBVIOUSLY it'll be in the next patch!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ah, another Monday and the space tire fire keeps burning bright.

I love the smell of vulcanized rubber in the morning.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

One of the few times reddit can say "Hey we called it!"
Good job, reddit!
:unsmith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

As someone who enjoys Star Trek I appreciate that Derek's 2015 blog post grows larger the further we travel into the future. That's the kind of space time paradox that I can really get behind.

Also Kale is good. Kale smoothies are the poo poo.

I feel kale smoothies are on the same level as onion smoothies. As in, don't

iospace posted:

Bratwurst is good and I will not tolerate it being slandered :colbert:

It's less good when your stepfather is a fanatic barbecue fan and you're forced to cram so many into your mouth across Spring, Summer and Autumn that you're starting to feel like some kind of Wurst Citizen

As soon as I got out into my own apartment, I stopped even looking at Bratwurst.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be fair, by now even CIG must know that their "backers" are stupid enough to believe anything, so I doubt they care. They're basically just saying every dumb poo poo that goes through their heads at this point. :v:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Libluini posted:

To be fair, by now even CIG must know that their "backers" are stupid enough to believe anything, so I doubt they care. They're basically just saying every dumb poo poo that goes through their heads at this point. :v:

I remember having to hunt for red flags. Now they have their own youtube series.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I too hate being taken off my cadence of scamming people by an event which threatens to dispel the illusions I have created.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I too hate being taken off my cadence of scamming people by an event which threatens to dispel the illusions I have created.

:same:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

Star Citizen | Erin Roberts Interview Uncut March 2018
March 12, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkteNWutOz8&t=1857s

Q:
Will this be more Squadron 42 based? Are you planning to provide any extra content updates after Squadron 42 Episode One is released or just patches and bugfixes?

Erin Roberts:
Yeah I mean at the MOMENT it's... I mean the PLAN is... is... it's SQUADRON, and we HOPE we won't be patching it, a-haha! I mean really, SQUADRON for us is gonna be, eh... we REALLY wanna make sure... and that's not a big thing that's why I'm kind of... very... quiet about it and don't show it too much... until we you know... until we want you know to do different stuff and things but...

THAT'S the thing we wanna release, and when we release it we don't want to have, you know... I don't... well... WE WON'T RELEASE IT if... if we...

And the GREAT thing about the way we do this is, you know... we... we... when... and especially because we're LIVE and you know we can just... you know, you DOWNLOAD it... is we don't have you know... we don't have some problem where somebody says, 'Well you have to get to MANUFACTURING by this date, oh well we'll just finish this off and we'll patch it later'

So, you know, we want that FIRST experience when it comes out, we feel it's a good experience the first time it goes out and people will really BLOW THEIR MIND

But Squadron because obviously A, we think it's a massive great story and a brilliant game, and we wanna make sure we don't RUIN it, so...

So Squadron WILL come out when it's ready, so hopefully, on the PATCH side, you know, I... I mean you can't say... MAYBE there'll be one or two EDGE CASE PCs and we'll find some problem and fix it, there's a little patch for THAT... but hopefully... hopefully it should really work well.

Straight after that, the plan will be to go straight on to the second episode.

Well, that sure clears everything up.

I’m beginning to understand the wisdom of not speaking about Squadron because spoilers. There was a certain coherence to silence that I’m really starting to appreciate the wisdom of...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 12, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

G0RF posted:

Well, that sure clears everything up.

Reading between the parps: "We are taking our time to polish, but no patches after release".

Never going to happen. (Not even for decent game development companies)

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

It's less good when your stepfather is a fanatic barbecue fan and you're forced to cram so many into your mouth across Spring, Summer and Autumn that you're starting to feel like some kind of Wurst Citizen

There's always more and it's always wurst.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

SomethingJones posted:

Erin Roberts:

Star Citizen: You Know

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

AbstractNapper posted:

Reading between the parps: "We are taking our time to polish, but no patches after release".

star engine has no bugs. just look at what we have released so far.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

G0RF posted:

Or you could, oh, idk, keep your code in a shippable state like actual good dev shops do... then just cut a build whenever you need slang your wares.

But you see CIG is different. They're trying poo poo nobody has ever even dreamed before, things like 400+ devs or whatever in a Lord of the Flies scenario just going buck wild, palm-slamming code into other code with absolutely zero adult supervision.

But wtf do I know I'm just some goon fail troll, I'm sure Chris Robert's got this. $180 million dollars and one broken embarrassment can't be wrong!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AbstractNapper posted:

Game companies only patch after release because of evil publishers forcing them to do paid DLC and stuff

Croberts is going to release a note-perfect 1.0 with no bugs, just you wait

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
You can argue degrees of culpability all day long if you want; the fact remains that nobody in a managerial capacity at CIG in 2018 deserves any sympathy at this point. The time for giving people the benefit of the doubt based on past performance or likeability passed around $60 million ago.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CIG Release Cycle

Patch is 3+ months away: Everything is in the patch.
Patch is 2 months away: This is it. This is the patch that's gonna change everything.
Patch is 1 month away: We're so close to being done. We'll get you guys a preview soon. It won't have everything in it, some pieces held back but we'll get them done before release.
Patch is due: We need another month. Going to cut some features.
Patch is 1 month overdue: Okay so most of the big features have been moved to version (Patch + 1). Very close to being done though, it'll be out in like a month after this one.
Patch is 2 months overdue: Here it is, evocatii. Sorry, the big tent features aren't in yet. But there's some new spaceships for you. Try not to open the doors too often.
Patch is 3 months overdue: *Patch is released to public without any of the big features* Don't worry. Everything is in (Patch + 1). Buy some of the new spaceships!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Virtual Captain posted:

https://youtu.be/qkteNWutOz8?t=1083
Is there potential to have thousands of people in a shard[...]?
:gary:2018 Erin: ...:yarg:

"So what's the deal with this hot new revolutionary internetworked video game technology? Let's see what a giant subnormal toad who cannot form complete or coherent sentences has to say!"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

My 2nd favorite part after the complete blanking out is where BoredgamerUK immediately picks up on the fact that this was not a question he can answer and jumps in with "OK"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

As soon as I got out into my own apartment, I stopped even looking at Bratwurst.

Sounds like you fear the wurst.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

No poo poo? That is the problem everybody has been waiting years on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Is the Konami LaserScope back in stock? Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Erin seemed to be having a stroke at one point with the you knows per second