Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hatsume is the best girl and it's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kyte posted:

Does manga ever retcon things like that?

Assassination Classroom softening how Nagisa's mom abuses him is the only example I can remember atm. That and S-Cells in DBZ, I suppose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dbz retcons a bunch of stuff but that's mostly because toriyama has a different answer every time someone asks him the same question

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Begemot posted:

Gentle is too much of a buffoon to manipulate anyone. They're just two idiots who are perfectly matched. If there's any justice in the world they'll get a spinoff :allears:

More that his goofy, Robin Hood styled villain persona is an act and he's just using La Brava. I don't see any reason to believe that's the case but I like both of them so much it would make me angry if that was a reveal.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the anime ends on the start of the summer camp. About what chapter then does the manga pick up from there? I literally can't get enough of this

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Probably about chapter 70.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carlosologist posted:

the anime ends on the start of the summer camp. About what chapter then does the manga pick up from there? I literally can't get enough of this

The anime is starting again next month as well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah the anime's coming up soon and if there's one thing that you might want to experience animated first, it's the events to come, but otherwise I'd recommend starting with Chapter 69 if only to get Shigaraki's face in glorious detail.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

It's a breath of fresh air to have as goofy, showy, and dainty a villain as Gentle after everyone that's come before. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Seeing as how this series loves its references to Western comics, is it wrong that I'm getting a Green Arrow-inspiration for Gentle?

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
The characters have nothing in common save fancy facial hair?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

since Gentle is obviously not actually a bad guy im wondering if this arc will transition to having an actual villain and Gentle will help the kids, or if it's just gonna stay silly and low key for the whole time

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm good with either.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mabels big day posted:

since Gentle is obviously not actually a bad guy im wondering if this arc will transition to having an actual villain and Gentle will help the kids, or if it's just gonna stay silly and low key for the whole time

Watch La Brava turn out to be the actual villain of the arc.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Gentle will swiftly own a more threatening villain. Off camera, because violence is crass.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Gentle is going to wind up teaching a Villainy class at UA.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I really do hope he becomes a teacher and records his classes on youtube.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mabels big day posted:

Gentle is totally gonna die doing something heroic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kild posted:

I really do hope he becomes a teacher and records his classes on youtube.

Smarmy TED Talk on disrupting supervillainry.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
There's no way Gentle doesn't have some kind of connection to Aoyama. They're both blonde and absolutely fabulous.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Davinci posted:

There's no way Gentle doesn't have some kind of connection to Aoyama. They're both blonde and absolutely fabulous.

Does Japan have a pejorative for Anglophiles similar to how we bandy about 'weeb' ?

I guess Aoyama is technically a Francophile?

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 10, 2018

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Freeaboo/Westaboo if it's specifically towards Americans. Teaboo for Britain, Ouiaboo for French, Weeaboot for Canada

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hah

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Those are still Western terms, not Japanese ones.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just read up to the end of the Overhaul arc

Sir Nighteye :cry:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

fractalairduct posted:

Those are still Western terms, not Japanese ones.

Thank you for understanding the question.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
La Brava and Gentle are good. :allears:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

bacon flaps posted:

Thank you for understanding the question.

sorry I'm not able to answer it! I don't really know any Japanese.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

RareAcumen posted:

Assassination Classroom softening how Nagisa's mom abuses him is the only example I can remember atm. That and S-Cells in DBZ, I suppose.

No I mean the "here's what actually happened, ignore chapter 1" kinda retcon.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 12, 2018

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Honestly, I think Bakugou being a bit of a monster in the first chapter is better on the whole. It's pretty obvious from the context that school's a toxic environment meant to contrast UA, and while it's effects on Deku are obvious, the effects on Bakugou are often overlooked. It seems like social commentary that gets lost in translation given the disparity of Bakugou's popularity between the west and Japan.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think coolly telling Deku to kill himself was over the line and removing that from the comic would have been better. There's something creepy and evil about calmly telling someone to commit suicide as opposed to his anger induced screaming about murder.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bakugo is a jerk and i'm glad he's mellowed out some since the kidnapping

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Bakugou's mellowing might not have been as impactful if he weren't as much of a huge poo poo idiot to Deku in particular in the beginning. I'm not saying it excuses anything he did before, but it makes his development a bit more significant.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I agree, like Bakugo needed to be taken down several pegs upon his being revealed. It's definitely not excusable that he tells Deku to kill himself, but I don't know that there's a better way to sell his extreme jerk level. I think the chapter where All Might is at Bakugo's house makes the root of his issue really clear; his mom points out that he grew up constantly being praised and never learned how to be humble

of course that would be a hard parenting set up seeing as how his mom has the same personality and dad is clearly not in charge there

overall I think that Bakugo is a pretty decently layered character and a nice turn from your typical deuteragonist

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Radish posted:

I think coolly telling Deku to kill himself was over the line and removing that from the comic would have been better. There's something creepy and evil about calmly telling someone to commit suicide as opposed to his anger induced screaming about murder.

I think the teacher openly encouraging the bullying and implicitly agreeing with the "kill yourself" sentiment is the real evil.

It is interesting to compare the classrooms of Deku's middle school and UA 1-A and the way they treat their outsiders.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I would really like a chapter where Midoriya runs into one of his old classmates just to really show how much has changed for him since those days.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
He already ran into one of his old classmates during the Stain arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tiramisu posted:

:pusheen:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Tiramisu posted:

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I would really like a chapter where Midoriya runs into one of his old classmates just to really show how much has changed for him since those days.

They've presumably seen him on TV at least 3 times tho. Saving Bakugou, Sports Fest, and the AFO fight?