Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Whitlam posted:

Maybe in some hypothetical world you could have a perfect utopian system of public transport that is reliable (which ours definitely isn't), safe and cheap, but we definitely do not have that in this reality, so for some people, cars are a fairly non-negotiable necessity.

ah yes, the fabled land of “Singapore”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hooman posted:

Underemployment, non existent wage growth and imported temporary workers are a totally discussion about immigration policy levers than infrastructure HTH. Also again, these aren't problems with immigration as much as wealth transfer policies, casualisation, worker disempowerement and union busting. Immigration creates growth, who benefits from that growth is based on government policy not immigration itself.

457 visas are total dogshit though and should have been run out of town with pitchforks years ago, so I guess I agree with you there.

Identifying something that sounds like a lovely dogwhistle isn't actually an argument in favor of the opposite. I honestly don't know what Australia should be doing population wise, whether we should be looking to grow, maintain or shrink. Placing blame with immigration and thus immigrants for the issues we have in this country is total bullshit though and I'm mad at that.

How much growth are they creating though? If a 1.5% increase in population through immigration is producing a 1.5% increase in GDP all it's doing is costing more in infrastructure and papering over stagnant economic growth in other areas.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Birdstrike posted:

Jesus coffee came out of my nose

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Birdstrike posted:

Unfortunately we'd have to bulldoze our cities entirely to imitate a lot of high density cities that have good transport models. I don't like it and I think it's bad for everyone, but people continue to buy parcels of land in distant place because it's cheaper and they must have a yard or whatever for their children. So you get these population surges in spots west of Melbourne that have literally nothing there except maybe (big maybe) a rail line because no one ever contemplated servicing them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

China bulldozes entire cities all the time.

Heck they are building a high speed rail project at the moment and demolishing villages and suburbs in order to build through it and rebuild the entire town around it.

And the government let's all the displaced citizens live in 4 star hotels while they wait to own a home again.

Wish I could find a news article on it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gay picnic defence posted:

How much growth are they creating though? If a 1.5% increase in population through immigration is producing a 1.5% increase in GDP all it's doing is costing more in infrastructure and papering over stagnant economic growth in other areas.

It's becoming more commonly acknowledged right now that immigration is being used to mask some serious economic weaknesses and prop up neoliberalism. Some people are stating it for nefarious reasons, others are just saying that the system is broken and unsustainable if we don't deal with the litany of fuckups that led this point.

The property market has a lot to answer for essentially. I don't think anyone should lose a family home if it goes south and we should defend them, but investors/developers should be left to their own devices and brutally punished by the market in a downturn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel like China has very different rules around compulsory acquisitions and that their government can't be destroyed at an election for doing something like bulldozing an entire city.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Whitlam posted:

Nah not people living in their cars or anything, more "it's hard enough being a single parent, let alone with two or more kids, let alone if you're homeless on top of that." Buses and trams are (I'd argue) underutilized methods of public transport, but due to their circuitous and slow nature, they aren't always a realistic option, especially if there are multiple competing time pressures (for instance, one kid has after school sport and you also need to be at your housing meeting, which the kid is required to be there for - that's not a hypothetical example, if you're arguing that you need space for a kid they need to come to the meeting where I live). Trains can only go where there are stations. If you've got multiple competing time pressures, your options may be to choose between them or drive.

I've also seen homeless single parents get offered jobs far away from where their housing and kid's school are, in which case their options are a) leave early every day to catch public transport get the kids (which employers are generally not on board with), b) decline the job or c) drive.

Maybe in some hypothetical world you could have a perfect utopian system of public transport that is reliable (which ours definitely isn't), safe and cheap, but we definitely do not have that in this reality, so for some people, cars are a fairly non-negotiable necessity.

So your argument is that people don't use PT because it's infrequent and slow, therefore we shouldn't invest money into making it faster, more reliable, and expanding the areas it covers?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don't live in the western suburbs :smugeastie:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Official theme song of the Melbourne Westie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nothing like living so close to public transport here in the east

*drives to work*

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I feel like China has very different rules around compulsory acquisitions and that their government can't be destroyed at an election for doing something like bulldozing an entire city.

another win for authoritarianism

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Mad Katter posted:

So your argument is that people don't use PT because it's infrequent and slow, therefore we shouldn't invest money into making it faster, more reliable, and expanding the areas it covers?

Please quote me where I've said at any point not to invest. I've said multiple times we need to invest more. My argument is that that right now at this point in time in history in Melbourne, a car is not necessarily something people can just forego.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually China is.... *Checks citizen score* good!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Imagine if syd/melb had train lines that linked middle/outer suburbs that didn’t just funnel people into the CBD.

Wait JBP says it’s too hard, better bulldoze Rozelle for Westconnex and the duplicate harbour tunnel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

Imagine if syd/melb had train lines that linked middle/outer suburbs that didn’t just funnel people into the CBD.

Wait JBP says it’s too hard, better bulldoze Rozelle for Westconnex and the duplicate harbour tunnel.

Get Juche and bulldoze easy. No pesky elections. Government owns bulldozer. Ask me how.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We don't need to bulldoze anything we just need to build a monorail that loops around the entire east coast.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

We don't need to bulldoze anything we just need to build a monorail that loops around the entire east coast.

Elon hush

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Please quote me where I've said at any point not to invest. I've said multiple times we need to invest more. My argument is that that right now at this point in time in history in Melbourne, a car is not necessarily something people can just forego.

I'm sure a lot of people would migrate to rail or whatever alternative if the services were less than ten minutes away by walking. A lot of morning drivers are crossing town from poor services to poor services, which sucks.

Also if you say road in a post you just get a series Mark Lathams cherry picking it so they can drop whatever hot bombs they've got lined up. This conversation started because someone cherry picked my post where I said roads among like seven posts about infrastructure, which was as a response to people's anger at the right cherry picking the word immigration to beat people up.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

Cool. Just need 2 things. 1. A lot more high rise living, as in for everyone. 2. A lt less private home ownership.

Not sure either are pallatable for the electorate.

The cities themselves can be very livable.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Rail is cool and good. I'm on the V-Line to Geelong right now. V-Line trains are infinitely nicer than Metro trains.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm on the stinking meat crate in the loop hating life.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In Queensland we just use one of those manual rail line carts.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

We forgot what trains were in Tasmania.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd like to live in the Huon in a midcentury when I retire. Tasmania is the best.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

*dies at desk*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You decide Australia's population, we'll show you how it looks
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-13/big-australia-or-small-australia-you-decide-our-population/9470156

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gee ABC thanks for creating a migration control simulator.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Gee ABC thanks for creating a migration control simulator.

this Chris Roberts version of papers please sucks

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Birdstrike posted:

this Chris Roberts version of papers please sucks
Couldn't be by Chris Roberts, it actually released.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chris Kenny's Pedigree Papers Please

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i loving warned you people four corners and the abc in general were leaning into full hitler re: migrant australians but did you listen to me? no. an armed takeover at the right time could have fixed all this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stop the immigants

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I am bathing in the ocean of boomer tears shed over the ALP abolishing excess franking credit refunds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ALP should double down on attacking banking and rich people, kill off negative gearing, announce some FDR level infrastructure poo poo and reduce skilled immigration in favour of mandatory, free vocational training to deliver a thousand year Shorten Reich.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Just loving kill them all and nationalise their assets

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

actually the franking credits thing is dumb, it only really affects people who save just enough that they can live a modest retirement underneath the tax-free threshold. I wouldn't call these people rich, just good with money. it will just result in a whole lot of restructuring for capital growth instead of dividends because otherwise the precious capital will flow overseas

labor now poo poo

edit: maybe they were always poo poo and it only just became clear to me

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

I am bathing in the ocean of boomer tears shed over the ALP abolishing excess franking credit refunds.

You can always tell that it's a decent policy when the IPA shills are out in full force on the comments claiming this will hurt pensioners. I don't know how they do the mental gymnastics but apparently the ~92% of the population that are unaffected should be up in arms for the ~8% claiming the credits.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chadzok posted:

actually the franking credits thing is dumb, it only really affects people who save just enough that they can live a modest retirement underneath the tax-free threshold. I wouldn't call these people rich, just good with money. it will just result in a whole lot of restructuring for capital growth instead of dividends because otherwise the precious capital will flow overseas

labor now poo poo

edit: maybe they were always poo poo and it only just became clear to me

This isn't the way it was put to me by a broker this morning but I don't know poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

believe me, I share a long history of forum membership with you

• Locked thread