Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mordja posted:

Or just play whatever the gently caress you want, Christ, so long as you have the sense of self to say "hmmmm, this military shooter is telling me to shoot ay-rabs/russians/chinese, but in real life, I think that I will avoid shooting anyone."

This is kind of the only real way to play videogames.

This isn't tough, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

david_a posted:

How does GZDoom get away with being GPLv3? Doom was released as GPLv2 the second time around. Is there some special-case clause in the GPL that allows you to upgrade versions?

The GPL version of the Doom source was released under the GPLv2 "or any later version", which is an optional clause that the copyright holder(s) can include to permit people to do that.

Confusingly (and annoyingly), id Software's GitHub account still only has the original "Doom Source License" version of the code.

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 12, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

the nucas posted:

I don't understand how people can get themselves to this place when the nominal overarching villain of the modern warfare trilogy is a 3 star American army general.

Oh no the American military isn't bad it's full of cool heroes. All the bad stuff is just a few bad apples

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

How does GZDoom get away with being GPLv3? Doom was released as GPLv2 the second time around. Is there some special-case clause in the GPL that allows you to upgrade versions?

Yes, exactly.

Note that GZDoom was not the first Doom port to go for GPLv3.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also now switches your keyboard to US layout while the game is running, for some reason. :confused:

This was a thing before the patch as well actually.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Managed to get ZeroTier working. Sort of. We can't find local games, but we can connect directly to each others' managed IP addresses (using the default ZT port 9993). It's incredibly nice to get away from Tunngle's lovely interface and annoying ads.

And the connection is awesome! I've used my lovely old HTPC (only wired computer in the household) as a dedicated server and we (usually 4-5 players) have been knocking down AD maps with great abandon, with hardly any hiccups.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So, how is Amid Evil? I recently moved and am waiting for Ryzen 2 to release in a month or two so I can build a new PC, so I can't find out for myself :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh no the American military isn't bad it's full of cool heroes. All the bad stuff is just a few bad apples

True. Source: I was in the U.S. Military and everybody here loves me.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, how is Amid Evil? I recently moved and am waiting for Ryzen 2 to release in a month or two so I can build a new PC, so I can't find out for myself :(

I'm curious, too. People seem to be saying that the weapons don't feel particularly powerful, and if there's one thing I need in an FPS, it's impact.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rocket Pan posted:

For Doom itself, you either have a non-commercial license or a GPLv2/3 license (which, put simply, is unusable on anything not the PC, and non-comm should be self explanatory), and Doom's original engine isn't exactly fun times to use for new games (although certainly wouldn't be the worst thing if you did something simple like Chex or Heretic). As for GZDoom (opinions about the nature of its code aside), it's strictly GPLv3, making it non-option if you want to slap the Steam framework on it or stick it on anything not the PC. It doesn't prevent releasing it on Steam, but does prevent attaching it to any fun Steam extras like its networking service or achievements. There is some wiggle room if you argue platform requirements, but it being GPLv3 specifically makes that argument a very slippery slope.

Trading card system should still be possible, right? If I recall correctly, it just required the user to have the app on and it just rolled the dice.

Personally, I wouldn't really bother too much about chievos or steam overlay if I'm making a game on the doom engine, tbh. If I actually wanted that with my commercial release, I would've just done made something with Unity or Unreal. Those licenses and frameworks just support the Steam stuff better.

The Kins posted:

Not that this stops some people... REKKR is a full TC some folks are working on that's basically building a new game purely using battered old DEHACKED and vanilla formats.

It rules out consoles, sure, but Beloko recently ported the latest GZDoom, among other ports, to Android.

Jeeesus, that's what I call being hardcore with a TC.

Also, any idea if this is identical to the Amazon version or is it a more recent itteration? I wouldn't mind getting it a second time.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like this... really isn't that big a deal?

Like, achievements are the only fun thing you really miss out on. Workshop support doesn't have to hook into the game itself necessarily. I'm pretty sure trading cards ditto. If you're putting inventory features in a Doom engine game you're a weird idiot, and GZDoom as is has horrible netcode iirc so Steam's networking features are broadly a non-issue.

Is it okay for a GPLv3 program to interface with a non-GPLv3 program that also interfaces with a proprietary program? Because I feel like you could handle the achievement thing by having a background .exe run that GZDoom talks to, which then translates to Steam cheevos, instead of having GZDoom directly link to the Steamworks API.

e: and if you're working with GZDoom it's pretty much automatically going to be a PC-only release regardless of licensing? like, if you're developing for consoles there's absolutely no reason to not just implement something in Unity instead.

I feel like GZD will still kind of have its place for people wanting to make that one particular thing they want to do, even if there may be better alternatives out there. For a lot of us, it's your first-car VW Golf that you still haven't sold, but you turn on every now and then to keep the engine going in the garage.

I feel that both Unity and UE4 cover most of what people want to do, but I would also understand if someone would want to still make a commercial proj with GZD.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Also, any idea if this is identical to the Amazon version or is it a more recent itteration? I wouldn't mind getting it a second time.
It's a more recent version, with up-to-date versions of the source ports. The author posted on Facebook that if you've bought it previously, you can contact him for a code for the new version, which is very nice of him.

In other news, a friend of mine is releasing a gameplay mod in a few days and put out a trailer. If you remember the name from an old version, he's more or less completely rebuilt it since then. There's also a new character...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYXORO9VH4

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

It's a more recent version, with up-to-date versions of the source ports. The author posted on Facebook that if you've bought it previously, you can contact him for a code for the new version, which is very nice of him.

Thanks for the heads up. Sent them an email, then again, it could just be one guy running this whole show.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

True. Source: I was in the U.S. Military and everybody here loves me.

I'm curious, too. People seem to be saying that the weapons don't feel particularly powerful, and if there's one thing I need in an FPS, it's impact.

I pretty much always want more impact and blood in games so I'm with you there. The weapons don't feel too bad but I'm only 40 minutes in and only found 3 so far.
The axe impact sound was loud enough for me to turn my volume down a bit and it also made the first enemy I saw explode into a pile of gibs. Pretty nice. The whooshing sound in the soul mode version is a little disappointing though, sounds almost weightless. The azure staff projectiles also don't have much of an impact but it's rapid-fire. I guess the game could benefit with some better sound and particle effects. One of the devs said not all sounds are final so it could improve

So far I'm enjoying it, I didn't really want to buy a third early access FPS but 3 of 7 episodes is a decent amount for 20 bux. My only complaint so far is the font's a little hard to read, but it's apparently something they're working on.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Trading card system should still be possible, right? If I recall correctly, it just required the user to have the app on and it just rolled the dice.

Yup, there's nothing related to or needed for trading cards in the API itself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
With a bunch of retro-shooters suddenly coming out recently, I've been seeing a weird sentiment here and there: that all of these games are charging too much at :20bux:. Meanwhile, these same people will happily spend that much on indie platformers, or 8-bit roguelikes or what have you, AKA other retro throwbacks, so what gives?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The big issue I have with Amid Evil so far is that the weapons feel dinky because the enemies don't really get very inconvenienced by getting hit and unless you're watching for the (more subtle than it should be IMO) flinch animation, it's very easy to have no idea if you're hitting or not. That said the default staff having some homing capability is certainly nice.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mordja posted:

With a bunch of retro-shooters suddenly coming out recently, I've been seeing a weird sentiment here and there: that all of these games are charging too much at :20bux:. Meanwhile, these same people will happily spend that much on indie platformers, or 8-bit roguelikes or what have you, AKA other retro throwbacks, so what gives?

It might be that a lot of them are still in early access. That tends to color peoples opinions about price.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AnEdgelord posted:

It might be that a lot of them are still in early access. That tends to color peoples opinions about price.
I mean sure, but I think I've mostly been seeing it in the context of these games being FPS titles that looks old rather than anything to do with their release schedules.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I like these shiny pixelated textures
https://giant.gfycat.com/GlaringMadBichonfrise.webm

I was also surprised to learn that the weapons are just normal mapped sprites. The game loads FAST too, quickloading is nearly instant and it takes just a couple seconds to load from the main menu

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 13, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Most actual retro FPSes have commanded pretty low prices for quite a while now on account of being older than balls, so a new game that looks like/emulates the style of one but commands a somewhat normal price for a full indie game will raise eyebrows because people's perception of price is a bit out of whack.

See Also: $15 being a fairly standard price on PC and downloadable console, and tantamount to highway robbery on mobile.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3BhmmlToY

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh just discovered the guy who did that doom engine tutorial vid linked a few pages ago also founded tasvideos

Small world

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

In other news, a friend of mine is releasing a gameplay mod in a few days and put out a trailer. If you remember the name from an old version, he's more or less completely rebuilt it since then. There's also a new character...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYXORO9VH4

Looks great! and that new character... I admit that I had a huge grin in my face at the end of the video. Perfect release for a weekend.

HolyKrap posted:

I like these shiny pixelated textures
https://giant.gfycat.com/GlaringMadBichonfrise.webm

I was also surprised to learn that the weapons are just normal mapped sprites. The game loads FAST too, quickloading is nearly instant and it takes just a couple seconds to load from the main menu

Looking forward on getting this one along with Dusk. The mix of Quake 1 and Hexen 2 is just my jam.

Also, anyone knows if there are any patches or fixes for Heretic II? Running it on Win10 x64 is kind of wonky.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 13, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The new Ion Maiden patch doesn’t really seem to have improved performance for me at all, I still get a good bit of stuttering right at the start and when there’s a lot of enemies in the big open area in the first level. Oh well.

Some of these secrets must be arcane as gently caress too. I found the cake just now and felt pretty awesome about it, but I’m still missing 11 somehow.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Looks great! and that new character... I admit that I had a huge grin in my face at the end of the video. Perfect release for a weekend.

Looking forward on getting this one along with Dusk. The mix of Quake 1 and Hexen 2 is just my jam.

Also, anyone knows if there are any patches or fixes for Heretic II? Running it on Win10 x64 is kind of wonky.

There's an unofficial patch that adds wide-screen support and fixes a load of issues, however I think you need to do some other work to get the CD music to loop properly. PCGamingWiki should have some help.

If you still can't get it working send me a PM and I'll dig out my zipped copy with a load of fixes applied.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm disappointed with Ion Maiden. Something about the gun balance feels off. The starting pistol is super strong with headshots which makes the shotgun kind of redundant unless you get bored of aiming. The SMG is ok but doesn't fit into a particular niche. The bouncing bombs are buggy and boring to use. The devs took throwable explosives from older games and dropped the skill ceiling to the floor. Now they're just homing missiles that only explode on contact with the enemy and you can recover them if they don't find a target. Where's the challenge in that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The big issue I have with Amid Evil so far is that the weapons feel dinky because the enemies don't really get very inconvenienced by getting hit and unless you're watching for the (more subtle than it should be IMO) flinch animation, it's very easy to have no idea if you're hitting or not. That said the default staff having some homing capability is certainly nice.

This was my feeling after the first episode but definitely not after the second. Star of Torment is a completely kickass weapon. As like a super-shotgun type thing, it’s way better than Quake’s or even Dusk’s. How’s “I will nail your bleeding corpse to the loving skybox” for inconvenience?

It is kind of lame that for most of the first episode you’re stuck with the blue staff and the green sword which are both meh at best. The homing isn’t enough to make the staff attractive, it’s barely enough to save it from never-use-this-again territory once you pick up the voltride. The sword is okay but a bit wimpy in damage, similarly gets outmoded almost completely by the Star of Torment. The second episode is just a good bit better overall. Those enemy designs!

I do feel they haven’t quite gotten loot balance right at the moment. A lot of the time I found myself with loads of ammo lying around when I wanted health, or vice versa.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The supercharge mechanic triggering on fire instead of a seperate button looks incredibly frustrating and just seems like really bad design. Painkiller had the same issue and it's weird to me that they just straight up copied the problems.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

DatonKallandor posted:

The supercharge mechanic triggering on fire instead of a seperate button looks incredibly frustrating and just seems like really bad design. Painkiller had the same issue and it's weird to me that they just straight up copied the problems.

Return of the Triad had a similar mechanic, 100 ankhs triggered God mode.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mordja posted:

I think you're misreading the room if you think those same people are happy to spend that much on those games too. Especially when sales and deals are so constant.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah I agree with every issue brought up with Amid Evil. Game looks and feels nice but the big issues with it are the hitboxes on either the main dude or the enemy melee weapons is too big because you can get swarmed by the little green dudes and they can melee you through each other, even 5 guys deep. It's frustrating getting swarmed by those idiots and having my health burn down super fast. But the biggest issue with the enemies is that every single one rushes straight at you as soon as you aggro them, even the ranged dudes. Whats the point of having enemies launch grenades or magic or whatever if they're just gonna shoot, run at you, shoot, run at you until they get in your face? No reason to place enemies about the environment to create interesting and challenging battles when you can have an entire room just rush the player at once. And it really sucks when you go into a new room and aggro one enemy and every enemy in the area comes pouring out from around corners and you can just kill them as they run at you. That ends up with the player exploring empty rooms.

As for the soul crazy mode, yeah it's terrible having it activated on fire. Even in my short time with the game I had multiple instances of collecting enough souls to do the thing and then either having a group of 2-3 dudes come at me and I waste it by attacking them and then running around looking for more things to kill before it runs out, or I need to shoot a switch to open something and end up wasting it that way. There was never a time where I came upon a large group of enemies and had the power ready, but when you kill everything you get it and then end up wasting it before the next large group.

I don't know if these issues are something they can fix without redesigning the entire game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Overbite posted:

But the biggest issue with the enemies is that every single one rushes straight at you as soon as you aggro them, even the ranged dudes. Whats the point of having enemies launch grenades or magic or whatever if they're just gonna shoot, run at you, shoot, run at you until they get in your face? No reason to place enemies about the environment to create interesting and challenging battles when you can have an entire room just rush the player at once. And it really sucks when you go into a new room and aggro one enemy and every enemy in the area comes pouring out from around corners and you can just kill them as they run at you. That ends up with the player exploring empty rooms.

Totally agree with this actually. It is kind of cool to see enemies that aggressively run and jump through the level to get you, and it’s not that it’s never fun to have a horde of enemies rushing right at you, but it’s not always fun either. There are only a couple enemy types that don’t act this way, and they’re usually the mini boss types. I have no idea if there’s any difference between the various colors of knight enemy in the first episode because they all behave exactly the same and you always want to kill them as soon as you can before they crowd around you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
But gently caress, have you guys found the "EVIL" difficulty hidden in Amid Evil? That poo poo's tough.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But gently caress, have you guys found the "EVIL" difficulty hidden in Amid Evil? That poo poo's tough.

Yeah I got about thirty seconds into it and said gently caress it.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Lots of discussion on Amid Evil's gunplay and stuff, but how are the levels themselves? When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to play FPS with enemies, but if I turned on no enemies mode I was allowed to play, so because of that my main concern in FPS games is "How fun are they to explore" and "How many/how good are the secrets?" since that's the stuff that got me into these games in the first place with Heretic's shareware episode way back when. I should note that Hexen is one of my favorite FPS games so switch hunts are A-OK for me. :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

Lots of discussion on Amid Evil's gunplay and stuff, but how are the levels themselves? When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to play FPS with enemies, but if I turned on no enemies mode I was allowed to play, so because of that my main concern in FPS games is "How fun are they to explore" and "How many/how good are the secrets?" since that's the stuff that got me into these games in the first place with Heretic's shareware episode way back when. I should note that Hexen is one of my favorite FPS games so switch hunts are A-OK for me. :v:

Much more Quake than Hexen, these are straightforward key hunts. Most of the levels are ok and some are quite good, I wouldn’t say I ever got seriously lost or stuck. Plenty of secrets, some very easy, some too hard for me. The look and atmosphere are a bit weird but grew on me.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

The Kins posted:

Important Notes:
User data is now stored in "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Ion Maiden Preview Campaign" on Windows and "~/.config/maiden" on Linux.
The save format version number has been bumped, meaning your old saves will no longer work. This may happen repeatedly during the Early Access period.

Overall Performance Boosts!
An occasional crash when performing random actions, including flipping lightswitches, has been fixed.
A bug that would cause the player to sometimes switch to the wrong game mode when loading a game has been fixed.
Optimizations to the game world logic have been made to improve performance in some circumstances and shrink savegame file sizes.
Mouse aiming has been reworked to allow much greater precision of movement.
The mouse axis scale sliders can now go all the way to zero.
New "save setup" menu, allowing autosaves to be disabled and a limit to be set on the maximum number of autosaves to keep at any one time.
Savegames can now be deleted with the Delete key.
Keyboard bindings for aiming up, down, and returning the view to the center can now be configured.
A key or button can now be assigned to switch to the player's previously selected weapon.
The sizes and brightness of certain pickup items have been increased
Armor fragments are now more visible.
Awkward delay after SMG reload has been fixed.
The easiest skill level should now be easier, and the hardest should now be harder
Volume slider no longer treats 50% as 0%
I don't suppose that any of these changes could make their way back to eDuke32, could they? :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As far as I can tell the mouse aiming changes consist entirely of making the Y axis half as fast as the X axis at equivalent sensitivity, so that part can stay out of eduke32.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Lemon-Lime posted:

As far as I can tell the mouse aiming changes consist entirely of making the Y axis half as fast as the X axis at equivalent sensitivity, so that part can stay out of eduke32.

It's actually more precise now.

terminx posted:

It's a limitation of the Build engine; there are only 2048 possible values for the player camera's yaw and only around 400 possible values for looking up and down.

However, I happen to be both the director of this game and the original author of EDuke32. I have a potential solution in mind that I think will allow us to address this, at least in OpenGL, without rewriting a ton of engine code.

Assuming my idea works out, we are planning on releasing a patch including this fix sometime in the next couple weeks. I don't care for the notchy aiming myself... I play a lot of Rainbow 6 and the difference is night and day.

quote:

This issue is specifically addressed in the patch and the player viewport is no longer locked to whole increments of the engine's internal measurement system. :)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Gloomy Rube posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIEYjBV5CA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Everytime I hear Amid Evil I keep thinking of Yahtzee's suprisingly great mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYk8q6kGj2Q