Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Repeal the 2nd, IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just arm the bears. Give them all the guns. Only needs a tiny change to the 2nd amendment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you start out from the position of repealing the 2nd, nothing is ever going to get done.

If you get to the point where we accept laws that restrict things to the point where we have meaningful progress, the idea of repealing or revising the 2nd gets more and more acceptable to each successive generation.

There's so much middle ground that can and should be explored as a way to change gun culture to get even more changes in later.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Quandary posted:

Repeal the 2nd, IMO

Only need to interpret it correctly. Not a member of a well-regulated militia (the military), no right to own a gun.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

<--- Very much not an american.

I understand that gun ownership laws differ between states, and I guess that there are some states that have gun control laws stringent enough that they could have a positive effect if enacted country-wide. If no court has ever dismissed these laws as unconstitutional (not sure if this is how it works in the US), then what's on the Constitution doesn't seem to be a technical problem, but rather when people project on it. In that case repealing the 2nd amendment or not doesn't seem to matter, as the people who use it as an argument are not suddenly gonna go "Welp, it's no longer in the Constitution, I guess I'll sell my guns and pick up fishing instead"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rexides posted:

I understand that gun ownership laws differ between states, and I guess that there are some states that have gun control laws stringent enough that they could have a positive effect if enacted country-wide. If no court has ever dismissed these laws as unconstitutional (not sure if this is how it works in the US), then what's on the Constitution doesn't seem to be a technical problem, but rather when people project on it. In that case repealing the 2nd amendment or not doesn't seem to matter, as the people who use it as an argument are not suddenly gonna go "Welp, it's no longer in the Constitution, I guess I'll sell my guns and pick up fishing instead"

But maybe people are gonna go "Welp, the fact that I don't have such easy access to guns makes it harder for my to shoot up my school".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's already been upheld in the Supreme Court that the Bill of Rights is not absolute and limits can be placed, especially when it impacts public safety. The most often used example is yelling fire in a theater is not constitutionally protected free speech.

So, most gun control laws should stand up to the Constitution. It's not a direct obstacle to getting poo poo done other than being a rallying point to cloud the issue.

The biggest issue the 2nd causes is people using it as justification that the founding fathers WANTED us to own guns.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 6, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's fairly obvious that even if in some freak miracle the harshest anti-gun laws get passed, then there'd be a bunch of exceptions stapled into it. There's no real danger of "too much" gun control happening, so it's fine to exaggerate. We definitely don't need the second amendment to keep throwing a wrench into legislation, and there's been amendments removed in the past anyways. The constitution's not a dead document.

I feel like trying to neuter your own side of a debate before going up against a brick wall of a lobby is just asking to fail. Compromise happens after confrontation, not before.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Gorsuch is justice, nothing will change, Democrats are useless as ever.

More useful to set ground rules on guns for your local commune than it is assuming anything will change in this system.

edit: forgot nothing matters

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 6, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rexides posted:

You can't stop a truly determined person from getting a gun and shooting up a school or whathaveyou. But the fact is that people are truly, deeply, loving lazy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

You can't stop a truly determined person from getting a gun and shooting up a school or whathaveyou.

You can loving try.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's kind of what he said.

By and large people are lazy and stupid. Even minor roadblocks will prevent a lot of harm.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Gorsuch is justice, nothing will change, Democrats are useless as ever.

More useful to set ground rules on guns for your local commune than it is assuming anything will change in this system.

Except states are now starting to pass laws prohibiting their local municipalities from passing stricter gun control laws than the state has.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Except states are now starting to pass laws prohibiting their local municipalities from passing stricter gun control laws than the state has.

lol

gently caress

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

That's kind of what he said.

By and large people are lazy and stupid. Even minor roadblocks will prevent a lot of harm.

Yeah I thought that was clear.

The fact is if someone has enough money and can pass a background check it's not even very hard to buy a 100% legal fully automatic firearm, but you virtually never see them used in crimes. That Vegas rear end in a top hat easily could have, but went with bump stocks because you can just order them off the internet or whatever like a lazy sack of poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think largely making things harder means less people will do them. Even in the UK, there's still people who can get their hands on automatic weapons (assuming they don't screw up in the process), but it's far less likely they'll just have one on hand when they get it into their head to make a bunch of people (and/or themself) dead, and you sure as hell don't have a legally-protected right to go around in public carrying a gun. That means there's so many more points along the line where they can be caught and arrested for an easily identifiable crime, rather than having to wait until the murder happens.

It's not like the people perpetrating these murders are evil geniuses, just they have the help of a cabal of people who are willing to accept many, many deaths as the price for pushing their bottom line.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Alhazred posted:

But maybe people are gonna go "Welp, the fact that I don't have such easy access to guns makes it harder for my to shoot up my school".

IRQ posted:

You can't stop a truly determined person from getting a gun and shooting up a school or whathaveyou. But the fact is that people are truly, deeply, loving lazy.

I think I am misunderstood. I am not talking about shooters, I am talking about people who have guns as a lifestyle and use the constitution as an excuse for why they would rather see more school shootings than have even the tiniest gun control measures.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I know its been said many many times including by Oliver himself... but God drat does he waste a ton of HBO's money. They must really like the guy.
Considering the big stunts are great for attention and are hugely entertaining, I don't see how you could call it a waste. It's just... a budget.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The craziest thing about a lot of the gun hobbyist crowd is that a lot of proposed gun control legislation would not actually affect their ability to get guns at all. If all you plan to do with your guns is go range shooting, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to pass a standard background check or mental health screening. Nor would having to register your firearm ownership with law enforcement affect anything since you aren't going to be murdering anyone with it. The point isn't "nobody should have guns" (I mean, that is partially the point but I'm looking at a compromise position here), the point is that "people who want to go shoot up a school shouldn't have guns".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In America this past week a handful of major retailers implemented new policies for the sale of firearms to post-minors (18-20) and the resultant backlash has been states writing laws saying that small municipalities can’t enact any firearm laws stricter than the state they are in and a 20 year is suing one of them because of his rights.

This segment was amazing to me because I couldn’t fathom some jacked up dude gettin flair to RP his favorite shoot-outs in movies but mega loooooool to that!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The craziest thing about a lot of the gun hobbyist crowd is that a lot of proposed gun control legislation would not actually affect their ability to get guns at all. If all you plan to do with your guns is go range shooting, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to pass a standard background check or mental health screening. Nor would having to register your firearm ownership with law enforcement affect anything since you aren't going to be murdering anyone with it. The point isn't "nobody should have guns" (I mean, that is partially the point but I'm looking at a compromise position here), the point is that "people who want to go shoot up a school shouldn't have guns".

And the fact of the matter is that, for a while now, the majority of people who have been polled are in favor of the laws being proposed (I don't think those laws go far enough but w/e that's not the point). But the NRA is funded by gun manufacturers and long ago turned into an organization with the primary focus of selling more guns as opposed to gun safety training or whatever their insane fans claim. Whatever dues they receive from their members are a drop in the bucket compared to what they get from corporations in order to influence members of congress to not pass any of these bills, on the national and state levels. It sucks big league.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Bust Rodd posted:

In America this past week a handful of major retailers implemented new policies for the sale of firearms to post-minors (18-20) and the resultant backlash has been states writing laws saying that small municipalities can’t enact any firearm laws stricter than the state they are in and a 20 year is suing one of them because of his rights.

This segment was amazing to me because I couldn’t fathom some jacked up dude gettin flair to RP his favorite shoot-outs in movies but mega loooooool to that!

And then everyone forgets about gun shows and blaaahhhh

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Of course gun shows aren't gonna self-regulate, the whole point of them is to be some kinda bullshit loophole around any and all regulations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

On the bright side, if every school shooting now leads to a tiny tiny tightening of US gun laws, you'll have the strictest gun control on the planet by like October.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jesus, those Women's Day clips. :magical:

https://i.imgur.com/xmf0KUN.mp4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm genuinely shocked that John didn't launch his own cryptocurrency but I guess that may have been a bit too obvious, also they probably had a ton of legal and financial issues with their fake church (even though it was quite successful) and they didn't want to put the HBO accountants through all that rigamarole again. Or the HBO accountants just told them to gently caress off this time. :v:

Waitin' for the episode about the Bob Murray defamation case .....
#fuckyoubob

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Jesus, those Women's Day clips. :magical:

https://i.imgur.com/xmf0KUN.mp4

Yeah, that guy... wow. That whole bit was an amazing series of awful moments, and if I didn't know better, I'd say that it was just a skit, because who is that inappropriate on local live TV?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bitcoin's the perfect recipe for a bubble. A weird technological thing that most people don't really understand, a bunch of optimists up front to provide enough of a spike to get big investors' attention, and then a severe lack of intrinsic value in the thing that all the investors are getting hyped up about. If the bubble gets big enough, it could have severe ramifications on the economy when it bursts.

I'm surprised he never covered anything about the times that bitcoin wasn't secure and people got theirs stolen on insecure exchange sites, but I guess he was trying to be more general than that.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Waitin' for the episode about the Bob Murray defamation case .....
#fuckyoubob

It'd be nice if they could nest it into a whole episode's topic. They've already done coal, so maybe they could rub in the whole thing with an episode about gag orders on important cases.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bundle it with SLAPP

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Still my favorite thing to come out of bitcoin

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a cop show in the last few years set in Future Chicago (or some other Future city) where everything is all techy, there are genetically engineered people who are stupidly smart and all super-beautiful, computer graphics have replaced road signs and police tape, and... and Bitcoin was mentioned multiple times as a valid currency for just walking around?

Oh, and he had an android partner, the cop I mean, but it was a special android series that had feelings unlike most android cops... and they had a shady past or some poo poo, I forget.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tarlibone posted:

Wasn't there a cop show in the last few years set in Future Chicago (or some other Future city) where everything is all techy, there are genetically engineered people who are stupidly smart and all super-beautiful, computer graphics have replaced road signs and police tape, and... and Bitcoin was mentioned multiple times as a valid currency for just walking around?

Oh, and he had an android partner, the cop I mean, but it was a special android series that had feelings unlike most android cops... and they had a shady past or some poo poo, I forget.

Almost Human, great show, aside from mentioning buttcoin like it's a legitimate thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
And to cross pollinate a little bit, yospos poster divabot is an actual bitcoin expert named david gerard who wrote a book making fun of bitcoin and how crypto is pretty much scams all the way down.

I gave the book to one of my economics friends who got a laugh out of it and said that most of his economic theory was trash from an academic point of view but made sense as to why cryptocoins are bad

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like anyone who wants to invest in bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency should be required to google "Dutch Tulip Mania" first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not enough time was spent on underlining what a loving massive waste of electricity the whole thing is, and pointing out that even the good parts of blockchain technology thus still come at an extremely high price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will never tire of John showing footage of someone acting ridiculous, pausing, and then flatly saying 'cool.'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PT6A posted:

Not enough time was spent on underlining what a loving massive waste of electricity the whole thing is, and pointing out that even the good parts of blockchain technology thus still come at an extremely high price.

It also has the potential of creating a massive semiconductor bubble. Demand for GPUs and fast DRAM is at a high, creating component shortages for other industries. Samsung is now working on a dedicated mining chip which will take already constrained FAB space away from less profitable products.

Crypto mining has the potential of slowing or halting technological progression in other areas by resource starvation.

This reminds me of the Shoe Event Horizon from Hitchhiker's Guide.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I doubt that. They may just as easily take a knife to school or drive a car into a crowd of students. Because they want to hurt other people or be on the news for hurting a lot of people and if they can't buy a gun they'll do that or get a gun illegally.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

How in the gently caress is Mike Jerrick not loving fired into the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like anyone who wants to invest in bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency should be required to google "Dutch Tulip Mania" first.

"But you see, it's like, y'know, the tulips this time are being grown *everywhere*, brah! Not just in the 'Netherregions.'"

• Locked thread