Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They're 100% completely unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Huh, no idea where I got that idea from then.

In any case, is there one that would be especially good to start with?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Huh, no idea where I got that idea from then.

In any case, is there one that would be especially good to start with?

IMHO, Avernum is better than Avadon. You get to build your own party and the world is just more interesting. Avadon never really grabbed me the way Avernum did for some reason.

The best Spiderweb Software series in my opinion though is Geneforge. It hasn't gotten any modern remakes but is still really good.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I haven't played the latest Avernum games, but I played the Exile trilogy and the previous Avernum series. I liked the sense of exploration and discovery, and being able to build and develop your own party. As opposed to Avadon, which is more limited in those aspects, and very focused on its storyline and set piece battles. I've yet to play Avadon 3 partly because of those issues.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Avadon sucks, it's Vogel trying to make a Bioware game for god knows what reason. Geneforge is great, Avernum is pretty cool (haven't played the new ones, I'm waiting for the next round of remakes)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Geneforge needs you to go fix some stuff because it doesnt work right at all on win 10 machines. Avernum is decent but pretty long. That may be your thing.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

There wouldn't happen to be any kind of hack or cheat so I can play Ultima 7 with no combat, is there? Purely to do a story run through... so I'd want to fix the font and then make combat no bother, as I got pretty far in when I played years ago but just got tired of the tedium of that awful combat.

Ultima 7: The Adventure Game...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Once you get a big party with OP equipment they just butcher everything before you can even tell what you are fighting. I recall the last half of U7 just being fight music starting and my mob going nuts and then me looking for stuff to loot. I think going to the expansion area early gets crazy equipment? You could probably also cheat your party into better stats or something.

I haven't played it in twenty years so my memory is vague, but I do remember not trying at all with the combat after the early days. It made SI a bit different because I had to actually fight again. Though I also remember enjoying the SI combat more for whatever reason.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Exult comes with cheat keys, one of them is God Mode.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think going to the expansion area early gets crazy equipment?
Yeah, Forge of Virtue gets you the kill-everything-sword and some other stuff that's overpowered but not as much as the sword. Plus max stat boosts IIRC.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Geneforge needs you to go fix some stuff because it doesnt work right at all on win 10 machines. Avernum is decent but pretty long. That may be your thing.

Like how? Serious question, I've played the first 4 on a win 10 machine within the last few months with no hiccups. Maybe it's just something I never noticed?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chev posted:

Yeah, Forge of Virtue gets you the kill-everything-sword and some other stuff that's overpowered but not as much as the sword. Plus max stat boosts IIRC.
Double max strength if you go back to report to Lord British after finishing it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Like how? Serious question, I've played the first 4 on a win 10 machine within the last few months with no hiccups. Maybe it's just something I never noticed?

There's a hideous amount of lag and framerates of less than one per second when I tried playing 1 and 2.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's a hideous amount of lag and framerates of less than one per second when I tried playing 1 and 2.

Huh, I don't get that at all. Maybe it's your specific hardware and/or drivers? It does lag a little bit when you hold...Tab was it? to display the names of everyone around you but I remember it doing that back on Windows 7/8 as well.

ed: A casual search suggests that the issue might be wonky DirectDraw emulation since it's a deprecated library with newer version of DirectX. There are a bunch of fixes for this issue for a number of games out there but it's odd I never needed to use them. Might help with Geneforge (and any number of old games that used ddraw)

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 14, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
For U7, give yourself a full spellbook from the Trinsic cheat room, turn on God and Wizard modes, and set Death Bolt to your pagemark. Should run around instakilling everything that way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I went to check out Avernum and so there's like 6 of them. Is there a good jumping on point for those? Start at the beginning? Dive right into 6?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Glagha posted:

So I went to check out Avernum and so there's like 6 of them. Is there a good jumping on point for those? Start at the beginning? Dive right into 6?

They're story-based, so start at the beginning with the latest remake

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/Avernum_Escape_From_the_Pit/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Glagha posted:

It depends on what you prefer, as Avernum is a reboot series of an old series (Exile) that then had ANOTHER recent reboot series also confusingly named Avernum.

The newest reboot series is considerably more streamlined, while the original reboot has slightly more complexity in things like character customization options.

If you'd prefer the Old Avernum series I'd start with II (Crystal Souls) as it has a much better plot hook than I while Avernum: Escape from the Pit is the first in the newest reboot and generally holds up much better than Old Avernum I as encounters have a LOT more flavor and they added a prologue to acclimatize you to the gameplay and setting before being thrust in.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
In the 90's it was Exile, in the 2000's it was Avernum, and now, it's Avernum: Subtitles. Currently, Avernum 1-3 have been remade.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For those who have backed The Bard's Tale IV, the backer alpha build is out today.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Are there any noteworthy spiritual successor games to the Starflight series and/or Star Control 2?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Protostar and Escape Velocity: Nova are the only ones that come to mind right now. And I just learned that Protostar had apparently been intended as Starflight 3. Unfortunately I found that neither were as interesting as Starflight 2 and Star Control 2.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Hannibal Rex posted:

Are there any noteworthy spiritual successor games to the Starflight series and/or Star Control 2?

I had fun with The Long Journey Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ArgbFQ0Gs

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 22, 2018

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

It's not nearly as good but I did very much enjoy playing Solar Winds as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Winds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NajV4KUSDo0

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Transcendence scratched some of those SC2 itches for me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Been thinking about giving Fallout Tactics a serious try.
Any Fallout Tactics main character skill loadout/stat/trait recommendations?
As much as I love it, I know that Jinxed trait is not the best choice for Fallout Tactics.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You could also try asking in the Before I Play thread to see if any aspiring Wikifolk wanted to give trap skill/required skill advice, though admittedly this is probably the best thread to ask in for a game of that particular vintage.

I always wanted to get into Fallout Tactics, though I think the same thing that intrigued me is the thing that dissuaded me: An area about 30 minutes from my hometown is in the game, and I just know I would be underwhelmed by its post-apocalyptic representation.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

I always wanted to get into Fallout Tactics, though I think the same thing that intrigued me is the thing that dissuaded me: An area about 30 minutes from my hometown is in the game, and I just know I would be underwhelmed by its post-apocalyptic representation.

I grew up in the metro DC area and fallout 3 captured it well enough to be cool but was far enough off to be a little annoying. My little suburb didn’t make it in the game, but the next one down the road did and they didn’t try at all.

Especially compared to fallout 4 where it’s clear they spent a lot of time making the various small towns at least resemble their real life counterparts a little.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay which wizardry is the good one?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fallout 1 became retroactively better after stumbling across the definition of Mariposa.
Fallout series has always had that retro1950s style, so game locations not matching up closely to real world locations in Fallout games never bothered me much.
Tactics is the last Fallout series I want to play.

BethsoftFallout games...................once you see the super-long necks, you cannot un-see them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Glagha posted:

Depending on who you ask, all of them

I suspect you are looking for "7 and 8 are probably still able to be played today by someone who never played the others" though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Fallout series has always had that retro1950s style, so game locations not matching up closely to real world locations in Fallout games never bothered me much.

I generally agree, but Fallout 3 got the DC subway system so right that the lack of effort for the rest of it felt pretty lame.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Glagha posted:

6 to 8, 6 is still a bit rough so skip it if you're not having fun.

4 is good in a completely insane way

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I generally agree, but Fallout 3 got the DC subway system so right that the lack of effort for the rest of it felt pretty lame.

The wrecked aircraft carrier thirty feet away from the Lincoln memorial in Fallout 3 made up for the lack of effort, at least for me.
Then again, I went 200 miles out of my way to visit Needles because I remembered it from Wasteland 1. And was like, yeah I see
the blood cultists & robot cops happening here.

The long neck thing I mentioned, next time you are talking face2face with someone in Fallout 3/New Vegas/4, look at their neck.
Fake resume guy in New Vegas's solar power station was the rosetta stone in noticing super-long necks in bethFallout games.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wizardry 4 is loving wild. I will never play it but I'm glad it exists.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Then again, I went 200 miles out of my way to visit Needles because I remembered it from Wasteland 1. And was like, yeah I see
the blood cultists & robot cops happening here.
Same

I think it was only about 100 miles out of the way for me but it definitely felt like a holy pilgrimage.

And I liked the random trivia that Snoopy's modestly interesting cousin Spike was from Needles.

I skipped Quartzsite so I would have something else to look forward to next time I was in Arizona.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Wizardry 4 is amazing but completely unplayable

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Wizardry 4 exists because after a while the only people bothering to still play wiz 1-3, and more importantly the only customers to send feedback to Sir-Tech, were the turbo-nerds who had played the games inside and out and were writing in to bitch about how easy and pedestrian the games had gotten. It was created specifically as a 'gently caress YOU' to all the smug players bragging about how they'd stomped all over your precious challenge, what now game devs?

Having proven their point, they went ahead and let 5 be fun again.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Paper Sorcerer takes some of Wizardry 4's ideas and removes the absurd difficulty. It also has nicely stylish graphics. I never finished it but it is worth checking out especially since on sales it is like a buck or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Paper Sorcerer is quite good. I like the unique options for party building.