Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur movie was an entertaining D&D movie with a veneer of Arthurian legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Paolomania posted:

We are living in a timeline where GotG, with even less of a household name than D&D, made “generic party-based science fantasy” into a blockbuster franchise.

There's a much, much better-established market for science fantasy/adventure films, and that movie had dozens of characters and decades of stories to draw from. And the stories are really about the characters and how they come together to form a makeshift family. And the movie came out after Marvel had already established itself as a quality movie studio, which did a lot of the initial heavy lifting on a movie that many people will skeptical about when it was announced.

I guess by comparison, D&D has some books they can draw on for adaptation. And it would probably help if, like Guardians, they put $170M into producing the DnD movie. I think the best-case scenario is trying to do a series instead, since serialized storytelling is a better fit for what DnD is trying to do. But then we already have Lodoss War I guess and that was just OK

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I seriously don't know why they just don't go and make a Driz'zt/Icewind Dale movie already.

Other than Dragonlance, it's the D&D story every fantasy fan is likely to know about.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The drow themselves pose a problem when adapting their appearence and lore to a film.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dwarf74 posted:

I seriously don't know why they just don't go and make a Driz'zt/Icewind Dale movie already.

Other than Dragonlance, it's the D&D story every fantasy fan is likely to know about.

Drizzt would be a... problematic character to portray on screen. Drow aren't black in the "person of African descent" way, their coloration is downright inhuman, although in what way depends on the artist / writer. Whoever was cast as Drizzt would have to wear what could easily be interpreted as (and arguably is) a form of blackface, even if they were actually a person of color. It's a bit more complicated territory than getting painted blue for Avatar, and there really isn't any way around it: you can't even just cast all the drow characters with black folks and ignore the makeup, because then you've said that the black people in your universe are literal demon-worshipping psychopaths, with One Special Exception who ran away to the whitest place imaginable.

Icewind Dale would have to be animated, and animation for adults never does well.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just make Drizzt purple and cast all the human & dwarf characters as black. I'm sure the FR grogs would be fine with it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Just make Drizzt purple and cast all the human & dwarf characters as black. I'm sure the FR grogs would be fine with it.
Sadly any chance of their heads literally exploding was dashed when it didn't happen due to Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sadly any chance of their heads literally exploding was dashed when it didn't happen due to Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall.
He was good, though. This would be a D&D film. Just imagine the budget and star power they'd be able to assemble.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Drow blue.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Like, if they don't wait too long (or if it isn't already too late) to ride Game of Thrones' coattails, even before the recent minor ascendancy of fantasy serials, any D&D property could pretty easily be translated into a Legend of the Seeker/Xena/Shannara series. Which I imagine makes a fair enough amount of money even if they're not spending millions per episode like GoT, since TV executives keep greenlighting them for seasons-on-seasons, even if sometimes it's just the two.

It just seems that they want to skip straight from "pretty small, insular hobbyist property with moderately outsized name recognition" to "making a half-billion dollars at the box office", which just LOL.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your site is the one I use when I want to put content in my content hole.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

That Old Tree posted:

Like, if they don't wait too long (or if it isn't already too late) to ride Game of Thrones' coattails, even before the recent minor ascendancy of fantasy serials, any D&D property could pretty easily be translated into a Legend of the Seeker/Xena/Shannara series. Which I imagine makes a fair enough amount of money even if they're not spending millions per episode like GoT, since TV executives keep greenlighting them for seasons-on-seasons, even if sometimes it's just the two.

It just seems that they want to skip straight from "pretty small, insular hobbyist property with moderately outsized name recognition" to "making a half-billion dollars at the box office", which just LOL.

Yeah, pretty much.

In terms of "is it too late" I'd say that, yeah, it probably is if only because the time to put out that series was this summer, when GoT is taking a year off and you could capture its fans with a similar product.

Though I also wonder if something like Kurtz's Table Titans wouldn't work better as a serialized Dungeons and Dragons tale, where you are telling the story of the players and the game simultaneously. If nothing else, would be an interesting way to advertise the game and keep the production costs low, since you don't have to be filming in-world the entire time. Might lower the stakes of the show too much for some people, though.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

TheChirurgeon posted:

Might lower the stakes of the show too much for some people, though.

The drama would have to focus on the players at the table, using their characters as a lens through which to view their interpersonal relationships. This can be done well - if you ever get a chance to see the play Of Dice and Men, do it, it's remarkable - but it probably couldn't sustain more than a miniseries without wearing out its welcome.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Warthur posted:

Call me eccentric on this point but this is the TG As An Industry thread, so I think it's entirely fair to discuss stuff from the point of view of what makes sense for publishers as commercial entities rather than what makes sense for game design as a white room activity. Because the latter is not about TG As An Industry so much as TG As A Craft, which are two different things.

I am discussing it! Calling things lovely is part of a discussion.

And anyway, I'm not actually sure it's a good thing to talk about publishers when you talk about the industry as a whole; yeah, publishers are part of it, but surely we're talking about an entire ecosystem of publishers and their related markets? If one publisher managed to do great and everyone else had to shut up shop and we could only play my game about Northwest England Supernatural Rap Battles, the industry as a whole is probably in a lovely place even if that one publisher's doing great.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly, any number of the various D&D novels could have made for a decent if uninspiring film adaptation. For some reason, when the big movie did get made they instead seemed to have tried for the tone of a modern Zucker brothers movie.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Paolomania posted:

We are living in a timeline where GotG, with even less of a household name than D&D, made “generic party-based science fantasy” into a blockbuster franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy has the Marvel brand name attached and was the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of films. No D&D product could possibly benefit from anything comparable.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There have been three - three - D&D movies.

Of them, the second one is actually serviceable as a fantasy movie, and the first would be fine as a goofball dumb comedy if you could overlay an audio track of an actual gaming table. The third one, uh, exists.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gtrmp posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy has the Marvel brand name attached and was the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of films. No D&D product could possibly benefit from anything comparable.

Yeah, as funny as it is to think about a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, of all things, becoming a hugely anticipated hit movie, the fact is that it's not really all that unusual. If it had been the very first Marvel movie, sure, it would have been a weird choice, but GotG benefited from nine previous movies which ranged from "merely decently successful" to "record breakingly successful," all wrapped up in the Marvel brand which is way, way bigger than D&D. GotG was built on an extremely solid, successful franchise six years in the making at that point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The first was the only one on theater

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Mors Rattus posted:

There have been three - three - D&D movies.

Of them, the second one is actually serviceable as a fantasy movie, and the first would be fine as a goofball dumb comedy if you could overlay an audio track of an actual gaming table. The third one, uh, exists.

Third one did a good job of poking fun at stupid D&D tropes, but that's all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, as funny as it is to think about a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, of all things, becoming a hugely anticipated hit movie, the fact is that it's not really all that unusual. If it had been the very first Marvel movie, sure, it would have been a weird choice, but GotG benefited from nine previous movies which ranged from "merely decently successful" to "record breakingly successful," all wrapped up in the Marvel brand which is way, way bigger than D&D. GotG was built on an extremely solid, successful franchise six years in the making at that point.
It was a measure of just how powerful the Marvel Cinematic brand had become. GotG is at best a c-list Marvel comics property. The pop-culture footprint for Groot and Star-Lord and Drax is vanishingly small (compared to Spider-Man or the Hulk or the X-Men) and yet GotG became a massive hit because a billion-dollar global audience has that much trust in the quality of Marvel's offerings. It's pretty astonishing. Not even Pixar at its mid-00s height managed that.

I also think the success of GotG showed that there was a big market out there hungry for fun, fast-moving, sci-fi action adventure movies, one that George Lucas just absolutely refused to cater to (preferring instead to grudgingly trickle out movies about trade negotiations and galactic senate resolutions). GotG moved into the niche that Star Wars had left completely empty, and was rewarded for it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
There's only one D&D movie, and it's the seminal 2011 superhit 'Your Highness'

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

FMguru posted:

It was a measure of just how powerful the Marvel Cinematic brand had become. GotG is at best a c-list Marvel comics property. The pop-culture footprint for Groot and Star-Lord and Drax is vanishingly small (compared to Spider-Man or the Hulk or the X-Men) and yet GotG became a massive hit because a billion-dollar global audience has that much trust in the quality of Marvel's offerings. It's pretty astonishing. Not even Pixar at its mid-00s height managed that.

I also think the success of GotG showed that there was a big market out there hungry for fun, fast-moving, sci-fi action adventure movies, one that George Lucas just absolutely refused to cater to (preferring instead to grudgingly trickle out movies about trade negotiations and galactic senate resolutions). GotG moved into the niche that Star Wars had left completely empty, and was rewarded for it.

All the early Marvel movies were at best B-list comic properties in the first place as any characters thought to be worth optioning had been snapped up years before.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The Fast and Furious franchise is made of l better D&D movies than any of the official ones.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

"Dave Made a Maze" is a better D&D movie than any of the D&D movies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dungeons and Dragons, generically, has basically nothing interesting about it that hasn't already become part-and-parcel of the general fantasy wheelhouse.

Specific parts of D&D have a lot more charm, and they might be able to make a successful movie if they actually tried to, like, make a movie starring Elminster. Say what you like about the Sage of Shadowdale, "very powerful wizard is actually an ornery, pedantic, thirsty old man with a mean sense of humor" is a pretty darn good centerpiece to make your fantasy movie stand out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

Honestly, any number of the various D&D novels could have made for a decent if uninspiring film adaptation. For some reason, when the big movie did get made they instead seemed to have tried for the tone of a modern Zucker brothers movie.

Among other things that's because it wasn't a big movie. It was a low budget indie that spent years in development as they tried to come up with something they could afford to make. Even then they didn't use their resources well: two plot-important scenes were cut because they didn't have the money to do the CGI, but they did have the money to put in a couple of CGI beholders who don't actually do anything in the story, and a dracolich that's actually just a brief illusion from a trap. On top of which it just was indifferently made. The best part is Jeremy Irons hamming it up (though the Richard O'Brien and Tom Baker cameos are also fun.)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Dungeons and Dragons, generically, has basically nothing interesting about it that hasn't already become part-and-parcel of the general fantasy wheelhouse.

Specific parts of D&D have a lot more charm, and they might be able to make a successful movie if they actually tried to, like, make a movie starring Elminster. Say what you like about the Sage of Shadowdale, "very powerful wizard is actually an ornery, pedantic, thirsty old man with a mean sense of humor" is a pretty darn good centerpiece to make your fantasy movie stand out.

Or use Eberron and have a train heist movie except it's magic guns, dinosaurs instead of horses, and also the train is secretly full of vampires.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty much, the big issue any D&D movie it's going to face is that the IP offers practically nothing outside of winks for turbonerds. You could do something with D&D fiction, but most of it is, at best, delightfully bad. Granted, Marvel has done wonders with some surprisingly bad comics, so it's not unthinkable, but they have resources and talent most filmmakers just don't have on tap.

Maybe a movie based on an adventure? Strangely enough, I think if you really wanted to encapsulate D&D in movie form, that feels like the most genuine way. It'd be tricky picking a particular module, but I think if you wanted to do a D&D movie - not a Forgotten Realms movie (I hate to say, but let's not pretend they'd use another setting), not a generic fantasy movie that just has a beholder or a rust monster at some point - that'd be your best angle to start a screenplay on.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The first Resident Evil was basically a dungeon crawler, and Aliens kind of was too, so a movie about an adventure could work. I still can't help feeling like D&D might be too nerdy to have mass appeal, but Lord of the Rings was pretty loving nerdy before the movies came out too, so maybe they'll get it together one of these days.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D&D has mechanics and tools, but movies need plots and characters. Those are in adventures!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I stopped reading D&D books before they were a thing, but would the Erevis Cale books work? The whole assassin/spy/antihero thing seems like it might have some appeal.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Tomb of Horrors movie or bust.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean it's not like there's a series of D&D comics that's basically a humorous actual play set in a royalty free universe.

Oh wait.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Kurieg posted:

I mean it's not like there's a series of D&D comics that's basically a humorous actual play set in a royalty free universe.

Oh wait.

And written by an actual good screenwriter! Leverage was a team heist show, the modern equivalent of D&D, and getting him to adapt his own comic writing for a show or movie seems like the easiest gambit imaginable to my untrained eye. (Also, don't blame John Rogers for Catwoman or The Core, those were lovely re-writes and he still owns up to them.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pieces of Peace posted:

(Also, don't blame John Rogers for Catwoman or The Core, those were lovely re-writes and he still owns up to them.)

I enjoyed The Core. I think most of the knocks against it were about the "bad science", but the action and drama wasn't that bad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, The Core was funny as hell once I turned my brain off and accepted the idiocy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Dungeon Siege movies are basically D&D movies too.

e. Also Conan the Destroyer, and for that matter, Willow is probably the best D&D movie ever made

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
A bunch of designers (Skarka and Wallis) complain about.... tabletop streamers who get more money than the designers of said games.

https://twitter.com/gmskarka/status/973246697915801600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What do unions have to do with this Skarka