Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess it's pretty fitting that the game not only renders the ostensible main villain completely inconsequential, but also literally lets you skip him getting his comeuppance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
btw the word was sycophancy

Google posted:

syc·o·phan·cy
noun
obsequious behavior toward someone important in order to gain advantage.
"your fawning sycophancy is nauseating"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All this poo poo happening to the empire off camera is the loving stupidest crap in the world. I just can't believe how bad this all is.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It's really weird how this empire demon plot stuff gets the worst of all worlds. They don't tell it in any good way and hide most of it so it's just garbage, but it's still there so it ruins the road trip story. It being there means that every side trip instead of solving the main issue is just Noctis and the rest being uncaring assholes. Like the road trip could have been a decent main plot if they just focused on it and made the characters actually friends instead of an rear end in a top hat prince, his two servants and the guy they all make fun of.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I thought the whole point of that part was Noctis being separated from his friends and weaponless, he had to finally accept the ring and learn to use it. The whole getting his fathers sword back was supposed to poignant as well but they just let you skip all that to fart around with goofus and gallant. Good job square.

If I remember correctly, the whole reason Ravus could use Kingpops sword was because he had one of his arms replaced with one from kingpop.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

coleman francis posted:

If I remember correctly, the whole reason Ravus could use Kingpops sword was because he had one of his arms replaced with one from kingpop.

If this is true, this should have been an entire loving thing.

The guy had one of your dead dad's arms grafted onto himself, and he dies offscreen?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

He has a robot arm, and they make a point of saying even though he's been carrying the sword around he never used it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I cannot believe this poo poo.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 11, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The main issue I have with the game is that a ton of stuff in game was turned into a movie instead. Like the Empires Top General who kills the king. Dies in the movie, as well Ravus losing his arm trying to take the power of the Kings for himself.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can't remember, but does the Dadsword take HP to attack? I seem to remember it being the only Royal Arm that doesn't and therefore the best.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Reminder that this game has been and still is universally lauded by the video game "press". :v:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It's a Multi-media Experience

Except you know, when competently done, the individual parts each tell a complete story, rather than like, a third each of two different stories in one.

"According to developers, one can enjoy Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV without playing Final Fantasy XV, and vice versa. Experiencing both tales, however, ensures a deeper level of appreciation for them, as they are intended to complement one another."

I guess that's technically true, in that you could just barrel through the game holding down X without worrying about what the hell's going on. I'd ask if they seriously believed that, but this is the same production that decided that anyone electing to play the easy side of this story would only do so after they'd already gone through it normally, and thus that there's no reason to let you switch back. Like, they were already having you stare at security cameras, they could've shown the dude doing something, instead of 'ahaha, I'm evil and now I've cut off this dude's arm.' Well, at least whitesuit guy didn't just get owned off camera, I guess. Good for him! I guess since you're not going to go back I can say: except that's not true, because apparently you fight demon whitesuit guy as noctis, so he wasn't dead when his robot/demon/whatever arm got chopped off. So no, he still got killed off camera.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but when I play a game I kind of expect the game's story to be in the game and not in the supplementary material. Like, how is this poo poo not just releasing a half-finished product and then desperately trying to patch it up later with a buncha bullshit?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The future of interactive storytelling is a 2 hour movie and 2.5 hours of anime as required reading. And then not bothering to tell the story.

It's the modern version of "the story is explained in a few paragraphs in the game manual," except there's absolutely no excuse for it anymore.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but when I play a game I kind of expect the game's story to be in the game and not in the supplementary material. Like, how is this poo poo not just releasing a half-finished product and then desperately trying to patch it up later with a buncha bullshit?

I don't know if it's because game devs are insecure about their chosen art form or something but the tie-in media stuff seem pretty exclusive to games. Like I don't think any movie is going to require you to read a book for it to makes sense, or a song isn't going to split it's narrative with a theatre play. Sure sometimes you see books or comics as sequels to films but those are pretty much always a way to squeeze out some extra money out of fans, they never feed back into the "main" product.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It doesn't break the notion that a video game is always involved, but an example that reverses the "you need to watch the movie to understand the game" relationship is The Matrix Reloaded and Enter The Matrix, a game which had an hour of actual film scenes shot for it and from what I dimly recall gives a pretty good added perspective to the film.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

coleman francis posted:

I thought the whole point of that part was Noctis being separated from his friends and weaponless, he had to finally accept the ring and learn to use it. The whole getting his fathers sword back was supposed to poignant as well but they just let you skip all that to fart around with goofus and gallant. Good job square.

It doesn't help that Noct is the most unlikable PC in any FF game, and nobody in game seems to give him any respect even when he is by far everybody's best shot at fighting whatever evil force in this world thanks to his royal .~*Crystal*~. bloodline.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

It doesn't help that Noct is the most unlikable PC in any FF game, and nobody in game seems to give him any respect even when he is by far everybody's best shot at fighting whatever evil force in this world thanks to his royal .~*Crystal*~. bloodline.

Well, to be perfectly frank, why should they? As you mention the literal only reason why he's important at all is because he won the genetic lottery and without that he'd just be some loser nobody.

Hell, at least royalty in other Final Fantasy games tend to bring something to the table besides plot relevance, but this dude didn't even bring a personality.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm actually curious how bad was the developer's finances were that they decided to drop this thing and then patch over it after the fact. The amount of times I've read "Yeah this was patched in after release" for major parts of this game in this thread makes me think that they had to drop this thing to stave off creditors or something.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hel posted:

I don't know if it's because game devs are insecure about their chosen art form or something but the tie-in media stuff seem pretty exclusive to games. Like I don't think any movie is going to require you to read a book for it to makes sense, or a song isn't going to split it's narrative with a theatre play. Sure sometimes you see books or comics as sequels to films but those are pretty much always a way to squeeze out some extra money out of fans, they never feed back into the "main" product.

The Matrix did the game/film tie-in in reverse. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQITNRegxwk

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm actually curious how bad was the developer's finances were that they decided to drop this thing and then patch over it after the fact. The amount of times I've read "Yeah this was patched in after release" for major parts of this game in this thread makes me think that they had to drop this thing to stave off creditors or something.

It was bad enough just for development hell known as Versus XIII and being late for major PS4 title. Absolute flop of XIV 1.0 probably contributed as well.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

turtlecrunch posted:

The Matrix did the game/film tie-in in reverse. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQITNRegxwk

Vavrek posted:

It doesn't break the notion that a video game is always involved, but an example that reverses the "you need to watch the movie to understand the game" relationship is The Matrix Reloaded and Enter The Matrix, a game which had an hour of actual film scenes shot for it and from what I dimly recall gives a pretty good added perspective to the film.

Fair, but it seems to be like the only real exception.
I know there are Tabletop RPGs that try to do the same thing but they generally go out of business before they actually get to the point of releasing the non-game stuff. I guess ARGs would also count but they usually seem more like an ad campaign than actually an important part of the story to me. And that makes sense because once it's done there is no way to get that part of the story so it would really cut down on potential fans if it was vital.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 56: Imperial Data Center

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I mixed up events. You don't kill the Emperor as Noctis alone. You just killed the Emperor as the last fight you had.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The "it doesn't matter where and to who you're born " thing really doesn't work when the main character is a prince and has special powers because of his bloodline & his dead girlfriend has the "blood of the oracle". It felt like the devs thought that "of course we need message in our game, just ignore how the entire rest of the game undermines it".

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah this game is Divine Might is Right the game at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
But it's so random in the game that Prompto pops in and says. "Yo I am actually an artificial human of the same type as the Magitek Troopers."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonsterEnvy posted:

But it's so random in the game that Prompto pops in and says. "Yo I am actually an artificial human of the same type as the Magitek Troopers."

More like he pops in and says "want to know what's going on? Buy the DLC!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

More like he pops in and says "want to know what's going on? Buy the DLC!"

Yeah but this was in the game far before the DLC came out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Everyone, I am a robot."

"We're all cool with it."

It's so completely unnecessary to the plot or to generating any conflict that you almost forgive that there was absolutely no hint or foreshadowing of this at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He must be a drat sight fancier model than the zombots who have been the enemies for most of the game. They don't even scream in pain when you stab them a bunch.

Imagine the poor sod who had to programme in his bird fetish.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Night10194 posted:

"Everyone, I am a robot."

"We're all cool with it."

It's so completely unnecessary to the plot or to generating any conflict that you almost forgive that there was absolutely no hint or foreshadowing of this at all.

I hate that. Imagine if there were some clever allusions to it throughout the rest of the game. Imagine it all clicking in at the reveal. Imagine wanting to play a second time to experience those references with that knowledge. There could have been so much potential to make things good and every single opportunity fell flat.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Well that was loving stupid.

I have so many questions about what just happened, but I don't want to think about this game more than the developers did. :argh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I hate that. Imagine if there were some clever allusions to it throughout the rest of the game. Imagine it all clicking in at the reveal.

I can think of one (1) example of what you said.

In the AssCreed thing, a temporary and fleeting event.

Noct : "gently caress those loving dumb and stupid evil empty hollow scum buckets and all that are like them, those inhuman vile blights upon the world!"
Prompto: "Yeah..."
Noct: "What? Is something wrong?"
Prompto: "No, its just like you said"

Every other instance of fighting them in the base game
*headshot* *headshot* *gigantic circularsaw through a soldier's torso* "Yeah! Love the lighting!"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I don't want to seem like I'm prejudiced against demon robots but I feel like I would have had more of a reaction to that reveal than the goth goof troop here.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Man I can't believe they hosed this up so hard. I remember looking forward to Boy Band Camping Trip

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So OK, Prompto is some kind of magic robot or clone trooper or whatever the gently caress but grew up with the rest of the gang for some reason, and that's why he is able to conveniently open all the doors and poo poo.

Now, I know why this happens, it's because they needed a convoluted reason to gate the player, but where it gets even dumber is that this kinda implies that a) every random scrubadub magic robot guy gets the keys to the literal throne room and b) the evil empire didn't bother to change their passwords even once during god knows how many years it's been since Prompto was created and the present day.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

There's so much of the story of this game that clearly had the seeds of a good plot when the initial scenario was being drawn up in some writer's room somewhere, then completely failed to make it into the game in any remotely well-written or impactful way. This felt so much like they just had "was a magitek clone" as part of Prompto's character but they never got round to actually writing it into the plot so just had to bring it up somewhere because it's literally the most important thing about him.
Hell, this whole back half of the game seems like that, where they had a plot written out but didn't get the chance to actually turn it into a story. Ignis is blind! Prompto's a robot! Luna is dead! Her brother was a spy and also possibly your rival? The emperor is a demon! His advisor is a god! Every part of this could have been put together into a good story if they'd actually tried to do that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

"Guys I'm a clone with a barcode on my wrist who was meant to be turned into a demon and stuffed into a suit of armor and used as cannon fodder. That's what those 'robots' we've been slaughtering by the dozen are, by the way"
"haha who cares dude"

Final Fantasy 15

e: I'm extremely sad you resorted to using the dumb regular weapons again instead of just using the god magic ring that can instant-kill almost everything, including the super boss.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Those "server racks" are where they store the MTs.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then he says, "You know those chips they have in their hands which let them access every door and poo poo?" and I'm like, "No. Where the gently caress did that come from?"

It's Chekov's gun, except, rather than having it on the mantelpiece, it's locked in a box in the basement and no one mentions it.

• Locked thread