Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Re: the 4.2 stuff: I feel like the twist is probably going to be something like Zenos reasserts himself at some critical moment while the Ascian skinriding him is doing a crime, and he will then say something about how awesome it was to feel that moment and then commit sudoku. If he doesn't do something like this, Yotsuyu probably will: it will redound to our advantage but the motivation will be "no, gently caress YOU, dad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Man If Yotsuya is actually possessed by an Ascian that'd be perfect and I'd be onboard for something sneaky like that

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Glagha posted:

SB end spoilers: I thought that the stinger ending bit to SB made it extremely obviously that an Ascian is being Zenos now? Like, is there any other interpretation to that scene? Zenos is dead, but now an Ascian is impersonating him.

There's a kind of hanging thread about the sword that Zenos stole from the Red Kojin, the Ame no Habakari. It's the one with the red/black energy poo poo and has a specific proper name vs just being another sword he uses and seems to be special in some kind of way. In the original myth it's the sword that Susano-o used to slay Orochi, so kind of like Susano being trapped in the sword maybe Orochi has taken some influence. It's also not incompatible with how the Ascians gently caress with people either so it doesn't even preclude Eldibus in control, but the sword has been bothering me and it feels like a good payoff would be an Orochi Trial as the 4.X SB climax before moving onto bridging content

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

Man If Yotsuya is actually possessed by an Ascian that'd be perfect and I'd be onboard for something sneaky like that
re: that, I was thinking more like:

She gets her memories back and takes her revenge on Garlemald by loving up some plan of theirs. Not for you, not for Doma, but because in the end, they, too, hosed with her.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

RME posted:

There's a kind of hanging thread about the sword that Zenos stole from the Red Kojin, the Ame no Habakari. It's the one with the red/black energy poo poo and has a specific proper name vs just being another sword he uses and seems to be special in some kind of way. In the original myth it's the sword that Susano-o used to slay Orochi, so kind of like Susano being trapped in the sword maybe Orochi has taken some influence. It's also not incompatible with how the Ascians gently caress with people either so it doesn't even preclude Eldibus in control, but the sword has been bothering me and it feels like a good payoff would be an Orochi Trial as the 4.X SB climax before moving onto bridging content

Maybe an Ascian got sucked into the sword years ago? I forget how it went in 2.5/3.0, but wasn't there a whole thing about sucking Ascians into crystals and then breaking it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm enjoying the continuing plot in HW. Hilda is competent and tough, can we keep her?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Cythereal posted:

I'm enjoying the continuing plot in HW. Hilda is competent and tough, can we keep her?

Yes, especially if you do the MCH 60-70 stuff.

Also, this 4.25 patch confuses me. Eureka is already in the game, and it is great.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ChaseSP posted:

I'm still surprised that Yotsuyu's amnesia is being played straight. I was halfway convinced when she turned up again that she was just playing at it so she could get the hell away from both Doma and Garlemald both but has to keep up the childlike idiot act because that goddamn Gosetsu is dead set on his papa bear act and won't leave her alone for a second. Then events snowball and make it even harder for her to drop the act and escape.

Instead we get daytime soap opera plot twists #1 and #2. Kind of a shame but at least it still lets them play up the question of whether or not you can be held responsible for crimes you have no memory of to contrast with the other plot of whether or not Fordola deserves redemption.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Daytime soap operas are a legitimate field of inquiry. The last time someone dug deep into their tropes and framing in another environment, we got Twin Peaks, and through Twin Peaks, Deadly Premonition.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Leviabeetus posted:

In response to 4.2 end scenes. Slitting his own throat may not have been suicide, but rather his way out of getting captured. We've seen that sahagin priest body hopping using the echo, and ascians can inhabit dead bodies, so I'd say the precedent for Zenos inhabiting his own body after "killing" himself has already been established.

Edit: Not saying that I think that's what is happening here, it's probably is Elidibus.

The problem with that theory is that

You are describing a course of action that Zenos would never, ever do. It is completely out of sync with his world view. He killed himself full stop because his life was complete in his moment of defeat.

It's 100% Elidibus piloting his corpse

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thundarr posted:

Kind of a shame but at least it still lets them play up the question of whether or not you can be held responsible for crimes you have no memory of

I've seen Black Mirror and the answer to this is apparently yes, infinitely.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The problem with that theory is that

You are describing a course of action that Zenos would never, ever do. It is completely out of sync with his world view. He killed himself full stop because his life was complete in his moment of defeat.

It's 100% Elidibus piloting his corpse

Seriously this. Zenos bitching out at the end to run away is completely against anything he would ever do, if he's actually alive it sure as poo poo isn't because he wants to be

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing I will absolutely give this game: it has the most visually stunning boss battles I've ever seen in an MMO. I was hugely impressed by Ifrit when playing in free trial mode my first time, and now I've just finished Bismarck. I've enjoyed other MMOs quite a bit and been impressed by their visual design, but FF14 is something to behold when it wants to be out there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

One thing I will absolutely give this game: it has the most visually stunning boss battles I've ever seen in an MMO. I was hugely impressed by Ifrit when playing in free trial mode my first time, and now I've just finished Bismarck. I've enjoyed other MMOs quite a bit and been impressed by their visual design, but FF14 is something to behold when it wants to be out there.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

WILD AND PURE AND FOREVER FREE

But for real Cythereal, check out some of the raids when you get the chance, including the older ones. There are a lot of legitimately beautiful set piece fights in this game.

e: in some cases running unsynched will sour the mood a bit because a party of 70s will destroy the boss way too fast. For example, the Ex version of Ravana not only has a bunch of different mechanics, everything syncs up in time to his music in the back half of the fight if you run it at minimum ilvl. Finding a party willing to run old content at min ilvl can be harder than finding a good progression static though.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 13, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

WILD AND PURE AND FOREVER FREE

But for real Cythereal, check out some of the raids when you get the chance, including the older ones. There are a lot of legitimately beautiful set piece fights in this game.

My plan is to go back and start unlocking that stuff once I hit 70 in my main class. I've seen most of the raids on youtube, and yeah I hope to see them.

There's just a lot of poo poo to do in this game as a newbie, and I'm still enjoying the main story pretty well and am eager to see what happens next.

However, spoiling this since there's other new players posting in this thread and it's a major HW spoiler, I didn't care for Haurchefant's death. I liked him okay, but not as much as the story clearly expected me to - like Alphinaud, I suppose, and I didn't like how my PC was obviously badly affected by it when I personally was not. Killing Ysayle, Estinian, or Ayemric would have made me angry, but Haurchefant? I didn't care much for him either way. A likeable but unremarkable NPC in my opinion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

My plan is to go back and start unlocking that stuff once I hit 70 in my main class. I've seen most of the raids on youtube, and yeah I hope to see them.

There's just a lot of poo poo to do in this game as a newbie, and I'm still enjoying the main story pretty well and am eager to see what happens next.

However, spoiling this since there's other new players posting in this thread and it's a major HW spoiler, I didn't care for Haurchefant's death. I liked him okay, but not as much as the story clearly expected me to - like Alphinaud, I suppose, and I didn't like how my PC was obviously badly affected by it when I personally was not. Killing Ysayle, Estinian, or Ayemric would have made me angry, but Haurchefant? I didn't care much for him either way. A likeable but unremarkable NPC in my opinion.

To be honest...I kind of forgot which one Harchefaunt was by the time he died

The game just throws so many elves at you, it's hard to keep them straight, especially if you're taking months off in between patches

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Haurchefant had your back when no one else did, repeatedly. When you first came to Coerthas in the level 40 range, he stuck his neck out for you repeatedly amidst the kerfuffle with the Inquisitor when everyone else was ready to slam the door in your face rather than help you in any way shape or form. When you were exile from Ul'Dah, Haurchefant was the lifeline for the Scions when EVERYTHING was in the shitter. On top of all that, he was a generally friendly optimistic dude who earnestly believed in the knightly ideal. It's not hard to see why people liked him so much :unsmith:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wild and Pure and Forever Free has nothing on what Bismark's leading up to.

Ok it has one thing. Just one though.

Cythereal posted:

However, spoiling this since there's other new players posting in this thread and it's a major HW spoiler, -spoiler-

I'm curious if you'll feel the same way after you do the 'bookend' quest for HW. That's what really sold me on Haurchefant's sacrifice despite me being a PLD and going 'I COULD HAVE (probably) TAKEN THAT!'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Re: that guy, his fantasy Klout score may not have been the highest, but he was a selfless friend who helped you in your hour of need.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah if you liked Bismarck hoo boy strap in because the finale of Heavensward is loving incredible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Haurchefant had your back when no one else did, repeatedly. When you first came to Coerthas in the level 40 range, he stuck his neck out for you repeatedly amidst the kerfuffle with the Inquisitor when everyone else was ready to slam the door in your face rather than help you in any way shape or form. When you were exile from Ul'Dah, Haurchefant was the lifeline for the Scions when EVERYTHING was in the shitter. On top of all that, he was a generally friendly optimistic dude who earnestly believed in the knightly ideal. It's not hard to see why people liked him so much :unsmith:

Funny thing is, Count Fortemps made a much bigger impression on me than Haurchefant. He's the guy who repeatedly, when people question you being allowed into Ishgard early in HW, points out that you're the one who killed Gaius van Baelsar, destroyed Ultima Weapon, and slew a whole bucketload of primals. It's an effective argument for shutting people up. And he lets you crash on his couch while you're theoretically in exile.

Ayemric is the other guy who's made a big, positive impression on me from the Ishgard cast who wasn't part of the road trip. I like his character arc and internal conflicts, even if the church is evil because RPG there are clearly people like Ayemric who genuinely live what they claim to believe.

And, just now, didn't care for Lucia's reveal. It's neat, I guess, but what does it add to her character beyond further making her an accessory to a male character who already vastly overshadows her? I hope the story does something neat with her Garlean background, I love the Garleans' style and magitek poo poo so much more than traditional fantasy stuff. I'd love to see a genuine Garlean rebellion headed by characters like Cid and Lucia.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm curious if you'll feel the same way after you do the 'bookend' quest for HW. That's what really sold me on Haurchefant's sacrifice despite me being a PLD and going 'I COULD HAVE (probably) TAKEN THAT!'

I'm still struggling with cutscenes forgetting that I'm playing a healer. :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

he stuck his neck out for you repeatedly amidst the kerfuffle

Not that hard for a giraffe to do. :v:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have finally unlocked Squadron Command Missions. What dungeon should I run for leveling a WHM to 50? Brayfox's Longstop? I heard that Stone Vigil is particularly not nice to run with a Squadron.

I'm also thinking of doing more class quests for the story. Which ones are particularly good? (I'm a BRD/WHM main right now) I did a bit of ROG and it was quite nice, but I'm not sure about the others.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DizzyBum posted:

Agreed. Don't bother going after the Lucis tools for leveling. You absolutely do not need any of them at this point. Just get to 70 ASAP on whatever you can scrounge up from quests/NPCs. If you want to come back later and collect a Lucis tool for the cheevo/glamour/etc., then go for it.

I've actually been growing a pile of MC/FC3 demis for a while. Maybe I should get that Lucis achievement myself. :v:

Note that you only need to grind for *one* of the DoH tools and one of the DoL ones; once you get the achievement you can purchase all of the others at the Calamity Salvager. (This is stated absolutely nowhere in game, and I was halfway through making the Culinarian Lucis for the Fashion Report a few weeks back when I happened to figure it out.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I have finally unlocked Squadron Command Missions. What dungeon should I run for leveling a WHM to 50? Brayfox's Longstop? I heard that Stone Vigil is particularly not nice to run with a Squadron.

I'm also thinking of doing more class quests for the story. Which ones are particularly good? (I'm a BRD/WHM main right now) I did a bit of ROG and it was quite nice, but I'm not sure about the others.
I never had a problem with Brayflox but I used it to level SMN. Why not just do regular roulettes as a WHM?

One other fun fact is that if you have retry credits, you can cheese Wondrous Tails by dungeon spamming with your squadron. Or at least you could; it's possible this was patched.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

For the love of god find seven other people to do the last 3.0 story fight at minimum ilevel, it is a million times cooler.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Nessus posted:

I never had a problem with Brayflox but I used it to level SMN. Why not just do regular roulettes as a WHM?

One other fun fact is that if you have retry credits, you can cheese Wondrous Tails by dungeon spamming with your squadron. Or at least you could; it's possible this was patched.

I suppose-- the queues are near-instant anyway. I just don't know what to expect from the squadron, would they be better than the average player? I get a bit of anxiety playing as a tank so I might dip my feet into them.

I just play at weird hours (12-2 AM JST) I guess?

When do I unlock more GC ranks? Still stuck at 2nd Lieutenant.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I suppose-- the queues are near-instant anyway. I just don't know what to expect from the squadron, would they be better than the average player? I get a bit of anxiety playing as a tank so I might dip my feet into them.

You gotta level up your squadron and do a special mission to unlock first lieutenant, and then that's the cap for now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

The squadron will be more reliable but not better, I'd say. If you're anxious, you're anxious. I'm not sure what those times translate to, but my experience is that even late night queues aren't too bad if you aren't DPS.

You will eventually hit 1LT but that's as far as it goes... so far.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Got to get your squadron up to rank 3 to get to first lieutenant. That's the endpoint for gc ranks at the moment.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

For the love of god find seven other people to do the last 3.0 story fight at minimum ilevel, it is a million times cooler.

Yes, this. You'll know it when you get to it.

It's also got a much bigger "oh poo poo did he just cast THAT?" feel if you've played a specific older FF game, but it still looks cool as hell regardless.

Then after you beat it, do the Ex version to get rekt and appreciate its Now The Real Fight Begins moment. It's such a cool fight that even one of WoW's devs wrote on essay on just how cool of a fight it is.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Stone Vigil requires a little paying attention to how much you’re pulling in that first big room before the first boss, but it’s the best straightforward squadron dungeon. I still run it after 50 (EXP falls off quick, though) because the higher level dungeons they’ve added are total shitshows.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cythereal posted:

[spoiler]Funny thing is, Count Fortemps made a much bigger impression on me than Haurchefant. He's the guy who repeatedly, when people question you being allowed into Ishgard early in HW, points out that you're the one who killed Gaius van Baelsar, destroyed Ultima Weapon, and slew a whole bucketload of primals. It's an effective argument for shutting people up. And he lets you crash on his couch while you're theoretically in exile.

Count Fortemps would not have given a single poo poo about the WoL if not for Haurchefant. Same goes for Aymeric really.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

homeless snail posted:

You gotta level up your squadron and do a special mission to unlock first lieutenant, and then that's the cap for now.

You mean they added all those shiny ranks like Officer and Commander and it's still capped at 1st Lieutenant? :o

On the bright side, I won't have to spend any seals to climb up the GC ladder...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Schneider Heim posted:

Drk to 50 and especially the capstone quest is really good. After that though if you're not super into the edgelordyness it goes down the drain, but never to the level of the truly lovely job quests like Pld before SB.

Mch is my personal favourite and is an excellent complement to the Ishgard plot. Probably has the best characters too aside from Hamon Holyfist.

Doing drg before HW is also pretty good since you meet Estinien early which slightly changes his dialogue and significantly changes your dynamic with him.

Most jobs have atleast one pretty good arc so ultimately I'd just play whatever feels cool at the time.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

And, just now, didn't care for Lucia's reveal. It's neat, I guess, but what does it add to her character beyond further making her an accessory to a male character who already vastly overshadows her? I hope the story does something neat with her Garlean background, I love the Garleans' style and magitek poo poo so much more than traditional fantasy stuff. I'd love to see a genuine Garlean rebellion headed by characters like Cid and Lucia.

Lucia's reveal is more about Aymeric than Lucia herself. She's a dyed in the wool pure blooded Garlean capital P Patriot, sent to spy on the bastard son of the most powerful man in Ishgard. She defects because of his determination and charisma, knowing full well she'll never be able to go home or see her family again. If he can convince a literal enemy of the state to follow him, surely he can be the catalyst that convinces Ishgard to correct course from their terrible history and break the endless, manipulative cycle used by the theocracy to perpetuate the hate.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Hra Mormo posted:

Drk to 50 and especially the capstone quest is really good. After that though if you're not super into the edgelordyness it goes down the drain, but never to the level of the truly lovely job quests like Pld before SB.

Mch is my personal favourite and is an excellent complement to the Ishgard plot. Probably has the best characters too aside from Hamon Holyfist.

Doing drg before HW is also pretty good since you meet Estinien early which slightly changes his dialogue and significantly changes your dynamic with him.

Most jobs have atleast one pretty good arc so ultimately I'd just play whatever feels cool at the time.

Oh cool! I've been thinking of unlocking DRG next.

Does PGL/MNK ever reach Fist of the North Star's level of punching awesomeness? That's the only class I don't have yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skaw posted:

Lucia's reveal is more about Aymeric than Lucia herself. She's a dyed in the wool pure blooded Garlean capital P Patriot, sent to spy on the bastard son of the most powerful man in Ishgard. She defects because of his determination and charisma, knowing full well she'll never be able to go home or see her family again. If he can convince a literal enemy of the state to follow him, surely he can be the catalyst that convinces Ishgard to correct course from their terrible history and break the endless, manipulative cycle used by the theocracy to perpetuate the hate.
Addressing the HW story person you're talking about : Normally I'd say this was grody, but between Kan-e-Senna, Merlwyb and Nanamo, every PC-facing factional leader previously is a lady! 3 out of 4 if you give Raubahn co-leadership with Nanamo, which seems fair. Even at the end of Stormblood the majority of friendly cities are led by women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Schneider Heim posted:

Oh cool! I've been thinking of unlocking DRG next.

Does PGL/MNK ever reach Fist of the North Star's level of punching awesomeness? That's the only class I don't have yet.

The PUG quest is pretty strong, the MNK is pretty middle of the road. It's inoffensive at best.