Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicmissingno posted:

So now that Arthas has gone bad, what happened to Thassarian? Or would that be spoilers for events in the other campaigns?

He's a WoW character. Thassarian is, in the WoW story, one of Arthas' subordinate death knights and continues to be a loyal minion of the Scourge for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The majority of Arthas' expeditionary force were slaughtered and raised as the undead. The same with all the citizens in the Capital City. The lieutenants were turned into Death Knights, like Arthas became. So yeah, Lordaeron is hosed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Poor Thassarian was one of the few (initial) survivors of the final battle with Mal'ganis. He went out wandering in Northrend to see what the gently caress Arthas had gotten up to after abandoning them, and came across either Falric or Marwyn, one of the characters who got retconned into being "the Captain". He predictably got shanked, and brought back as a Death Knight. At the ceremony in the cutscene, he was compelled into slaying his own mother when the revelry gave way to slaughter.

Anything beyond that spoils at least the next campaign, though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

painedforever posted:

So awesome. So very awesome!

So, I can't find any dialogue for the Nerubian or Revenant mercenaries. So, this will only include the last of our Human Campaign units, the Gryphon Rider.

The listed soundset for the revenants is "revenant". It literally only has a death sound listed.

The creep nerubian units all have "nerubian" as well. Weirdly, I can't seem to find it. There is an arachnathid set though. It has no interesting lines, just a bunch of gurgles.

So you are not missing much. In fact, most creep units don't have notable sounds, mostly being machinery or howling. However bandits, forest trolls, ice trolls, and ogres have actual voice lines. There might also be some that have sounds listed elsewhere. And there are definitely one or two spoiler units in there. I think you covered sappers already, right?

The sound editor also lets you raise the pitch of lines, which can be quite amusing.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 13, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Nerubians just use the Crypt Fiend voice lines, I believe.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

The Nerubians just use the Crypt Fiend voice lines, I believe.

I just tested in the campaign. It seems like they use the regular subset, but I could not get the annoyed quotes to activate. Weird.

Revenants also have some kind of sound, but nothing interesting.

There is some weird mapping between the sound sets in the object editor and the sound editor apparently.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

He's a WoW character. Thassarian is, in the WoW story, one of Arthas' subordinate death knights and continues to be a loyal minion of the Scourge for years to come.

I got Thassarian and Thaurissan mixed up for a long time and it was very confusing.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Xenocides posted:

But I do not get a lot of this. He kills Mal’Ganis and goes mad. Then he heads home. Presumably he does not have an Alliance army anymore. He comes home and tells someone they won. They throw a huge celebration all procession when Arthas lost the whole expedition? Terenas seems confused and does not ask any questions when his son walks in like what happened to the army I sent a recall order to? Why did you defy Uther? Where is Jaina who I sent with you? Why did you wipe out a whole city? Why are you not holding the hammer of the Paladin and have a glowing skull sword instead. Instead just “My son....”. I know, probably would have ruined the moment.....

There are a few other points. The Lich King wanted Arthas to claim the sword. He worked with Mal’Ganis to draw Arthas to the sword. That makes sense. Then how did Muradin hear of Frostmourne? Was the rumor of a rune blade a backup plan in case Mal’Ganis could not enrage Arthas to pursue? And who put the guardians of Frostmourne in place. They had the revenant thing say he was trying to keep Arthas from getting the sword too protect him. Where did they come from? The Lich King wants Arthas to get the blade so he would not put the guardians there. Also, why did claiming the blade kill Muradin? As a kid I thought the broken ice hit Muradin and killed him. I doubt that explanation now. Did Arthas deliberately kill him or just promise anything and the blade took Muradin because it saw Muradin as a threat to the conversion of Arthas?

There's a bit to unpack here. This is basically "Hero's Fall 101". The noble but flawed hero, led down the path of corruption, reaches the end of his quest. Triumphant, he looks back at all that's he lost, all that he's sacrificed, and goes mad due in part to the cursed artifact that led him to this final step. This is Anakin Skywalker. This is Horus Lupercal. This is Harvey Dent and Michael Corleone.

His army follows him into madness, because, y'know, he's a charismatic prince, and they've already been into the crucible of war with him. Somebody here mentioned Nazis, and yeah, that's pretty close to what happens; people following orders, believing that they come from a legitimate source, not questioning what they're getting into, not questioning what's happening. It's not Nazism, but more like what happens around autocratic demagogues.

I agree with Siegkrow and MagusofStars, that King Terenas is relieved that his son has returned. I don't know if Jaina would have gone back to the King (and it wasn't King Terenas who sent her, but Antonidas), but Uther would have. But in order for Arthas to have been punished, he would have to return home. Now, Arthas returns, with his army, banners aloft. They're seen by various watchtowers and guards approaching. It's assumed they're returning in triumph. Tribunals come later, first, there needs to be a royal welcome. Maybe Arthas went too far, but as a King, Terenas would feel that, y'know, sometimes the ends justify the means. Willing to give his son the benefit of the doubt.

So far as Frostmourne is concerned... I remember reading that the Lich King had been planning this for a long time, seeding rumours and stories ahead of the Scourge, to bait some hero powerful enough to claim the sword. The Scourge is a means to an end, I think, both a lure, and an army. The Revenants, I think, are supposed to be the shades of other heroes who attempted to claim Frostmourne themselves, but realized that it's evil? Or the old WarCraft standby of "Dragons"? They don't come from the Lich King, at least not directly. It could also be that the heroes who fell in trying to claim Frostmourne became corrupted themselves by its influence, with the most powerful one still having enough willpower to rally the other shades into keeping others away from Frostmourne. So, lots of theories.

Muradin definitely "dies" to the ice-shard that flies off of Frostmourne's prison. I think it's meant to be deliberate, Frostmourne taking a "price". Notice, that Arthas didn't mourn Muradin at all, his final step down the road to corruption. Arthas has shown that he's "worthy" of Frostmourne, sacrificing all in the name of vengeance.

I want to talk a little bit about how the Human army works, and I hope that someone who's actually good at RTS's will chime in with some proper insights. The Human army is very tanky, very conservative (in more ways than one). They play the closest to how most RTS factions work. Their units are middle of the road in terms of price. The footman has a defensive shield, and their primary hero heals and resurrects, and they have a dedicated healer in the list as well.

Their worker units also exist as a final line of defence, in that when you ring the alarm bell on your Town Hall, all of the workers rush in, get armed and armoured, and then can act as second-rate warriors. They're not very good, but y'know, better than nothing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
You know, something that just occurred to me is that for Humans, their last-ditch defense (or cheesy rush strat) is to outfit their peasants with weapons and engage in melee... while for the orcs, it's to hide away in burrows and shoot from range. Just kind of a funny thematic reversal I guess.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mazerunner posted:

You know, something that just occurred to me is that for Humans, their last-ditch defense (or cheesy rush strat) is to outfit their peasants with weapons and engage in melee... while for the orcs, it's to hide away in burrows and shoot from range. Just kind of a funny thematic reversal I guess.

Thing is, human peasants are people who could, if needed, train to be soldiers, and the very fact that they're able to pick up equipment and be decent with it shows they're already hardy, tough people who would just need some training and discipline.

Orc Peons however, are the idiots and cowards among the orcs who are horrible at everything but menial labor. Their defense is to hide them away somewhere they can try to do something from safety because the Orcs have already decided that sending them into melee combat is a waste of time.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Orc peons are the members of Orcish society that failed at life.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
They just are not that kind of orc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

W.T. Fits posted:

You've alienated your mentor and your former lover.
You've slaughtered hundreds of innocents.
You've betrayed the men who swore loyalty to you.
You've betrayed the mercenaries you hired to help you betray those men.
You've sacrificed the life of an old friend to claim a cursed relic.
You've sold your soul into damnation for revenge.
You've murdered your father at the behest of your new master.

Do you feel like a hero yet?

You are still a good person.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

sebmojo posted:

You are still a good person.

Uh...no. Arthas is not at all. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

painedforever posted:

There's a bit to unpack here. This is basically "Hero's Fall 101". The noble but flawed hero, led down the path of corruption, reaches the end of his quest. Triumphant, he looks back at all that's he lost, all that he's sacrificed, and goes mad due in part to the cursed artifact that led him to this final step. This is Anakin Skywalker. This is Horus Lupercal. This is Harvey Dent and Michael Corleone.
Hah. I don't think you've intended "Hero's Fall 101" as in "Hero's Fall as written by first year creative writing students", but it works exceedingly well.

Michael Corleone doesn't belong on that list though, as his fall is predictable, believable, and meaningful. It's also full of atrocities, but has no "well, NOW I'm the bad guy (dramatic chipmunk turn) (dun dun dun)" moments.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Hah. I don't think you've intended "Hero's Fall 101" as in "Hero's Fall as written by first year creative writing students", but it works exceedingly well.

Michael Corleone doesn't belong on that list though, as his fall is predictable, believable, and meaningful. It's also full of atrocities, but has no "well, NOW I'm the bad guy (dramatic chipmunk turn) (dun dun dun)" moments.

And then Corleone was a zombie.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Xander77 posted:

Are we talking about the book or the movies? I'll admit that compared to the other examples (Star Wars, WarHammer 40k, superhero comics), the Godfather is significantly more mature.

Anyway, you ken what I mean, yeah? And honestly, when I said "101", I meant, "by the numbers", which works for first year students as well.

I was going to go with "every single PC Paladin in D&D history", but seeing as Arthas is also a Paladin, that's a bit too on the nose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painedforever posted:

I was going to go with "every single PC Paladin in D&D history", but seeing as Arthas is also a Paladin, that's a bit too on the nose.

Unfortunately, Warcraft paladins are not D&D paladins and as far as I know there's never been a case of a paladin in Warcraft falling and losing their powers. Plenty have abandoned the Light for other powers, but there's lots of examples of paladins doing blatantly evil poo poo like Arthas, and even one outright undead paladin who was part of the Scourge. The Light in Warcraft only cares about personal conviction and force of belief, not any moral standard of behavior.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, Warcraft paladins are not D&D paladins and as far as I know there's never been a case of a paladin in Warcraft falling and losing their powers. Plenty have abandoned the Light for other powers, but there's lots of examples of paladins doing blatantly evil poo poo like Arthas, and even one outright undead paladin who was part of the Scourge. The Light in Warcraft only cares about personal conviction and force of belief, not any moral standard of behavior.

Isn't the light just windchimes in space?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lobster22221 posted:

No, I think it's the other way around. Wind chimes are light in space, but The Light is something a level above them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lobster22221 posted:

The relationship between the Naaru and the Light has never been explicitly clarified. In general, it's whatever the plot demands.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

The relationship between the Naaru and the Light has never been explicitly clarified. In general, it's whatever the plot demands.

I can't decide if I am happy or sad that this point in WoW lore is not as silly as I had heard.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

poo poo's gotten complicated real fast, and will probably only get real complicated now the Void Lords are getting shoved into the murderhobo sights.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't think the Naaru are the source of the Light so much as deeply connected to it, whatever it is, on some fundamental level. Like, Ragnaros and the other Elemental Lords aren't the source of the four "normal" elements, but they are of the elements as well as incredibly ancient and powerful. It's never been clarified really, but I think comparing the Naaru (and their shadow counterparts) to them gets you pretty close. Much like a shaman can harness elemental magic, a priest or paladin can harness light magic, and at no point does a fire elemental/naaru need to be personally involved.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Since the Greater Cosmological Bullshit is thus far relegated to companion books I think you can rest easy knowing that the game(s?) will retcon the poo poo out of it all if the designers think doing so will help move the plot along.

It's a fantasy setting. Either a wizard did it, or it's a state of mind.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There’s at least one semi-large faction in WoW who are full of paladins and basically are all terrible racist dirtbags whose redeeming features are far and few between. But I think explaining more will have to wait.

The light gives no actual moral judgement, it just asks for strength of conviction in your beliefs.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

There’s at least one semi-large faction in WoW who are full of paladins and basically are all terrible racist dirtbags whose redeeming features are far and few between. But I think explaining more will have to wait.

The light gives no actual moral judgement, it just asks for strength of conviction in your beliefs.

Which group are we talking about because I can think of at least 3 that fit: Dark Iron dwarves, Scarlet evereything and Zandalari Prelates.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Probably the Scarlets, but getting into them involves spoiling one of the first few missions of the next campaign.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don’t know why, but I’m just not comfortable calling people like this Paladins. Maybe it’s all the D&D I’ve played, but it’s just hard for me to accept them as worthy of the title. Then again, some of the “awful good” D&D Paladins I’ve dealt with have really crossed the line too- and kept their powers for whatever reason. Every hero is flawed these days. There are no more ideal heroes to look up to. People say the good guy ideal hero is overdone? I honestly have trouble recalling the last time I saw it done. I’m way more used to either the flawed hero going bad and thus no longer being much of a respected hero or the hero trying to be good and getting poo poo on at every turn repeatedly. Drama or not, it’s really frustrating sometimes. Oh well, enough venting. I know complaints won’t help. One best just try to be good in the bad world as best they can- no matter how hard it is to find continual ongoing inspiration for such. Or so I keep telling myself.

Sometimes it’s just easier, even cathartic, to let loose and play Evil- as I suspect many will agree when the next campaign gets going. I felt that way last time I played it and am expecting to relive the memories as we go through upcoming missions. Not saying Evil is always desirable, mind you, I’ve already established I am frustrated sometimes by its abundance and predictability. But when it is expected, well... you got an easy fix there. :D

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 13, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

poo poo's gotten complicated real fast, and will probably only get real complicated now the Void Lords are getting shoved into the murderhobo sights.

I see someone at Blizzard is a big fan of Planescape.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WrightOfWay posted:

I see someone at Blizzard is a big fan of Planescape.

Nothing wrong with that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Sir this is a McDonald's drive through

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
[sigh] I'll have a Filet of Fish Meal, add lettuce and tomato, large. I wish you still had orange lavaburst, but I'll settle for Cherry Coke no ice. Charge me for Sweet & Sour Sauce if you must. One apple pie too please. Thanks.

[car behind me] I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

:D

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

achtungnight posted:

Every hero is flawed these days.

It's incredibly baffling that you seem to think this is a bad thing.

quote:

There are no more ideal heroes to look up to.

There never were.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It is a bad thing. Sometimes you need and want a good guy, a good story, a good hero. And I suppose it can make you appreciate them all the more when they’re few and far between. I have already accepted that this ain’t that kind of story. :( I don’t need you reminding me, thanks.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Wait, so arcane magic suddenly isn't demonic in origin?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can get where you're coming from, achtungnight- the 'incorruptible paragon' archetype is one of my favourites as well. Thing is, sometimes it takes a dark story environment to let the brightness shine through. See, Arthas was never meant to be the hero of Warcraft 3, or Warcraft's universe if WoW is anything to go by- he's merely a plot catalyst, the darkness that allows the goodness of others to shine through. And Warcraft 3 does have good, pure-hearted heroes in both Jaina and Thrall, at least by my lights, but we'll get to that when their respective parts come up again (it's not a spoiler to say that, right?)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
[nods at Commisar Mega] Amen. Looking forward to it. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy some cathartic release before we get there with the Undead Campaign either. :D

Recent Villain Speech I really admire (paraphrasing)- "Have you heard the story of the Good Samaritan? I've always loved it. Recently, though, I've been looking at it in a new way. Oh, you need me to remind you? Ok. There's this traveler, he gets robbed by men of ill intent for no good reason. A Priest and a Levite walk past him as he lies wounded, don't bother helping him, perhaps even chuckle at his misery. Then a Samaritan, a man of prejudged bad character, does help him- but never mind that now. The way I look at that story after all I've lived through... before now, I thought I should be like the traveler, or the Samaritan. But I'm not. I can't be. I'm not the Samaritan. I'm not the traveler. I'm not the Priest or the Levite either. I am the Ill Intent that befell the traveler on a road he should not have been on!"

- Wilson Fisk, Netflix Daredevil Season 1.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

achtungnight posted:

[sigh] I'll have a Filet of Fish Meal, add lettuce and tomato, large. I wish you still had orange lavaburst, but I'll settle for Cherry Coke no ice. Charge me for Sweet & Sour Sauce if you must. One apple pie too please. Thanks.

[car behind me] I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

:D

Hah! I can appreciate it when someone can take the snark-punch and deliver a good come back.

• Locked thread