Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm phone posting and not smart but my understanding is that returning share imputation to the pre Howard system would still result in motivated investors because the value is there, but remove excessive government funded cash returns that no other system shares.

E: as in there is value in investors seeking dividends.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Birdstrike posted:

Imagine if syd/melb had train lines that linked middle/outer suburbs that didn’t just funnel people into the CBD.

Wait JBP says it’s too hard, better bulldoze Rozelle for Westconnex and the duplicate harbour tunnel.

Guess what Perth is getting.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Konomex posted:

Guess what Perth is getting.

Metronet!

Honestly we should have started it ten years ago. Except that would have meant less money for stupid projects that nobody really wanted like Elizabeth Quay and other ribbon-cutters for Colin Barnett.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The value is still there for people who can claim the franking credits to reduce tax burden, which labor is not removing. The cash refunds are only in the case of someone claiming a total income of less than $18k. This would be roughly $500K invested, give or take. If a couple was pulling this evil stunt between the two of them, they would have maximum combined share assets of roughly 1 million.

Of course this imaginary couple probably shouldn't have invested their entire portfolio on the basis of receiving franking credits, and anyone who puts all their money into Australian shares, franking credits or no, deserves to have their money taken away from them.

Still, my point is that is totally disingenuous to say this is targetting the 'rich end of town', who will still use franking credits against their tax burden til the day that they die, comfortably laying in their grave far above the tax-free threshold.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Righto I get you now. My position is still beep boop gently caress the boomers, but I didn't understand that aspect of it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chadzok posted:

anyone who puts all their money into Australian shares, franking credits or no, deserves to have their money taken away from them.

Lol wut

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

diversify, mr. lizard. 100% of anything is dumb and that example relied upon it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chadzok posted:

The value is still there for people who can claim the franking credits to reduce tax burden, which labor is not removing. The cash refunds are only in the case of someone claiming a total income of less than $18k. This would be roughly $500K invested, give or take. If a couple was pulling this evil stunt between the two of them, they would have maximum combined share assets of roughly 1 million.

Of course this imaginary couple probably shouldn't have invested their entire portfolio on the basis of receiving franking credits, and anyone who puts all their money into Australian shares, franking credits or no, deserves to have their money taken away from them.

Still, my point is that is totally disingenuous to say this is targetting the 'rich end of town', who will still use franking credits against their tax burden til the day that they die, comfortably laying in their grave far above the tax-free threshold.
The issue is that it is a recently installed part of the basis underlying the structural deficit. It is accelerating. Not changing this back is the opposite of proper economic management.

Also:-

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

I am bathing in the ocean of boomer tears shed over the ALP abolishing excess franking credit refunds.

Morrison seemed pretty happy during his little press conference but seem distinctly less impressed when the reporters there started questioning him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

you are probably right, although I think there’s much bigger fish to fry. Still, if that’s the intention of the policy (fix budget deficit), it should be broadcast as such. Maybe it’s the fault of the reporting. It usually is.

I would support an expanded policy which also limited the tax benefits of franking credits, or hey, just removed them altogether. As it stands, it fucks a small number of not particularly well off people and leaves the truly wealthy entirely unaffected.

bambi with a helmet I do not grok

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 13, 2018

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

There may be bigger fish to fry but I reckon Labor have been doing a pretty good job of looking at the minutiae of the tax and transfer system and working out where they can squeeze a few bucks without too much pain all over. They have that luxury because of their constant commanding lead in the polls.

Removing franking credits completely would just make more business investors stick their head up and demand further company tax cuts which we probably don't need.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chadzok posted:

:ssh: Unrelated trolling for ongoing transportation chat :ssh:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I have all my money in Australian shares ask me anything.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

I have all my money in bitcoin ask me anything.

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/973347500424704000

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If Labor were serious about the budget deficit they'd roll back the howard era tax cuts.

But har har har. We'll pay for boomers profligacy forever.

Also regarding infrastructure, it's generally understood that infrastructure spending provides ROI of about 1.4 unless your infrastructure is already great, so saying population growth needs more infrastructure therefore may end up not gaining us anything is arguing from flawed assumptions.

I'm not a population scientist or researcher, but I'd imagine the papers about it would take those things into account, as long as they're not being written by the IPA.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Chadzok posted:

you are probably right, although I think there’s much bigger fish to fry. Still, if that’s the intention of the policy (fix budget deficit), it should be broadcast as such. Maybe it’s the fault of the reporting. It usually is.

I would support an expanded policy which also limited the tax benefits of franking credits, or hey, just removed them altogether. As it stands, it fucks a small number of not particularly well off people and leaves the truly wealthy entirely unaffected.

The ALP has already got somewhat of a banking royal commission, are going after family trusts, is probably going to reintroduce an ETS and go after multinationals far harder than the Coalition.

They seem to be turning up the heat on quite a few big fish - from opposition to their credit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Western Queensland town that is already struggling to get young people to live and work there, is now one family less, after Border Force kicked in the front door of a family of Sri Lankan asylum seekers who’s visa had expired by 24 hours.

Nadesalingam and Priya, and their children aged two years and nine months, have lived in the remote Queensland town of Biloela for several years. That was until Australian Border Force officers, police and Serco guards raided their home at dawn last week, taking the husband and wife and their two Australia-born children into custody.

Dutton has today praised the work of his gallant Border Force soldiers for opening up a job at the Teys meatworks in Biloela, where Nadesalingam was employed as a labourer.

“Today, a coalition voter now has the opportunity to find work in a town 200km west of Rockhampton. That’s why we do this”

“And for that, I applaud the brave people who drove across the country to this sleepy rural working class town to rectify the wrongs perpetrated by these aliens”

Dutton went on to explain why it is so important to deport migrants the moment they show signs of struggling in their dealings with the bureaucracy that makes up the immigration department.

“This week, we opened up a job that was undeservedly given to someone who was unable to travel 1800 kilometres to Sydney and update his Visa in time”

“That’s one less working class family that doesn’t deserve to be living in Biloela, by birthright”

“If there are any other unorganised subcontintentals hiding in the 15,729 square kilometres that make up the Banana Shire…”

“…We will find you and we will send you back to the political unrest in which you desperately fled in search of a better life sweeping up cow guts”

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's a devastating sign of the times I didn't get it until more than halfway.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I thought the biggest rort with the franking credit refund was people with large SMSFs. Since the profits of your super are only taxed at 15% it means that investors get about half their franking credit back. This was sometimes in the $100,000's per year for some of the bigger SMSFs.

I do agree that it does generally hurt people who are earning less than $37,000 a year (tax bracket of up to 19 cents on the dollar) who have some NRMA or AMP shares they were given than it will people with large portfolios. The fairest thing to do would be to scrap the franking credits all together as they shouldn't exist in the first place. I say this as someone who has a fair chunk of their saving in Australian shares.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If you’re a boomer with 1 mil in your super fund surely it’s not that bad if they’re drawing down on these funds instead of a “modest” income from dividends and franking credits.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

If Labor were serious about the budget deficit they'd roll back the howard era tax cuts.

But har har har. We'll pay for boomers profligacy forever.
This is exactly what they are doing :raise: Not all but ffs.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

bigis posted:

If you’re a boomer with 1 mil in your super fund surely it’s not that bad if they’re drawing down on these funds instead of a “modest” income from dividends and franking credits.

Exactly. Super wasn't intended as an estate planning mechanism it was for income for individuals and couples as they retire. The assumptions inherent in the original model was that it should last for most of your needs until you pass away, assuming nothing was left over at the end.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Les Affaires posted:

Exactly. Super wasn't intended as an estate planning mechanism it was for income for individuals and couples as they retire. The assumptions inherent in the original model was that it should last for most of your needs until you pass away, assuming nothing was left over at the end.

Since I hate myself, I read Money Magazine. One of the funniest things published there was a 70 year old writing in to complain about how he couldn't hide even more assets in super due to his age and one of the editors putting the smackdown on him. The exact wording escapes me, but it was basically "cry me a loving river, you're in an amazing situation, stop complaining". There might have been an implied ("because you'll make the general public twig that super is inefficient and should be scrapped"), too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The royal Commission is on the tv :getin: fuckers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

gay picnic defence posted:

How much growth are they creating though? If a 1.5% increase in population through immigration is producing a 1.5% increase in GDP all it's doing is costing more in infrastructure and papering over stagnant economic growth in other areas.

https://twitter.com/BenPhillips_ANU/status/973148172955430913

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Kill all boomers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I always knew old people were crazy about franking credits, but I never understood why.

quote:

On franking credits, as a young analyst in the 1990s I remember trying to convince a retail stockbroker to buy a security for his clients that had an unfranked yield of 9% vs another security (from the same company) with a 5% yield. I think the conversation went:

Me: Security B is the same security as Security A over the same company but you get almost twice the yield

Retail broker: But Security A is franked

Me: It doesn’t matter – regardless of your tax rate you will get more from Security B

Retail broker: You don’t understand. If I buy Security A my clients will get money back at tax time. Security A is franked.

Me: But you will get 9% immediately from Security B now, vs 5% now and 2% back in a year or so when they do their taxes

Retail broker: But my clients like getting franked dividends. Security A is franked.

Me: Don’t they prefer more money over over less?

Retail broker: But Security A is franked

I obviously lost that debate in the face of the ironclad nature of his logic.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/07/death-death-tax/

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

G-Spot Run posted:

It's a devastating sign of the times I didn't get it until more than halfway.

Get what? Dutton is really riding hard on this 'anti brown' thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I always knew old people were crazy about franking credits, but I never understood why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gemNU9mTsig

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9538316

Thought of the day: the royal commission into banking might actually lead to the recommendation banks all being forced to have API's and share data with each other upon request, so they can independently verify borrowers capacity to pay, instead of relying upon the borrower being forthcoming.

Yeah yeah I know big data is bad but they're using it already, might as well use it to ensure people buying houses and cars aren't being preyed upon.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-13/neil-erikson-childish-court-wears-toll-vest/9542114

quote:

A judge has described far-right activist Neil Erikson as "childish" for attending court wearing a high-visibility vest from his former employer, Toll.
Erikson has been found guilty of contempt of court for disobeying an order by Federal Circuit Court judge Suzanne Jones to return his uniform to the company.
Toll has argued in court that videos and photos Erikson has posted of himself wearing the uniform — including one where he confronted former Labor senator Sam Dastyari in a Melbourne pub — has affected its relationships with some clients.
Erikson, who has not worked for the company since 2016, arrived at court on Tuesday wearing a Toll uniform he claimed to have purchased at a second-hand shop for $2.
"Do you think it's a good idea to wear that? Do you find it amusing?" Judge Jones asked him.
"I just want to show how pathetic Toll is," Erikson replied.
"Are you not pathetic?" Judge Jones said.
"You can keep wearing it but you just enjoy the media attention."
The exchange took place during a hearing to determine what punishment Erikson would receive.
"I'm just punching up against the big corporation," Erikson said.
Judge Jones replied: "That's just rubbish."

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/07/death-death-tax/

Australians are obsessed with their tax returns.
Even I feel stupidly smug when I get money back from the ATO.

Feelings always trump logic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Victorian Nationals MP Tim McCurdy has been charged by Victoria Police in relation to a property sale he conducted as a real estate agent before entering parliament.

:getin:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanDonohoe7/status/973428498550333440?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"Melb City Council investigation: Four adverse findings against Robert Doyle. Three of sexually inappropriate behaviour and one of consuming red wine before they occurred."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This thread the last three pages:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

drunkill posted:

This thread the last three pages:

thx you for doxxing me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whitlam posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanDonohoe7/status/973428498550333440?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"Melb City Council investigation: Four adverse findings against Robert Doyle. Three of sexually inappropriate behaviour and one of consuming red wine before they occurred."

idiot. it's white wine with sexual assault.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/973347500424704000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Anidav, have you contacted the RTA yet?

Also, every day you ignore this boomer rentseekers win.

• Locked thread