Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a lot of my friends dont make anywhere near as much as i do and times are tough man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

and i dont want them to be sad or tired

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tell them to get a computer job. its litterrally impossible to hire someone good w/out paying out the rear end right now and computer poo poo is easy as gently caress.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

so what you're telling me is i should respond to these linkedin recruiters looking for Senior devs even though i'm not a Senior dev?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I don't expect a return on investment, but most infrastructure needs to break even on its operating costs. especially roadways.

I just expect services not to lose money hand over fist. public housing that cannot pay for itself is unsustainable, as every country in the world has discovered at considerable expense.

it literally is

you will notice that it's very rare for a private developer to build a soviet-style shitburg an hour away from the city and then rent the units out for pennies and let the roofs leak. no one has ever built a private housing project as bad as the standards set by french banlieus or the american "PJs" or u.k. council housing.

even if it were profitable to build utter poo poo and let it go to ruin, the public would revolt at the impact on local crime rates

edit: also, lots of public housing projects are successful. success is an option! but success isn't cheap, and it doesn't look like high-density megaprojects. it's expensive, down-to-earth mixed-income stuff in low-rises and "terraces" in the uk parlance. coincidentally, exactly the sort of inventory that was most likely to be liquidated during the "right-to-buy" 1980s...

Roadways "break even" by making it possible for large amounts of commerce to happen and then collecting tax on it. Aside from toll roads (which should be only highways) and red-light cameras there is no other way for roads to generate income. That is fine because this infrastructure (just like any other public thing) is meant to be usable by free of charge the poorest of poor, thus when you look at only the balance sheet of roads, it's way in the red.

Public housing is slightly better as you can collect rent directly, but it still needs to accomodate those who can not afford any rent. If you min-max the system optimizing for profit in order to compete with the private market then chances are that you either have to drop the principle of serving the neediest or depend on tax subsidy.

I get the feeling that you believe public housing is either lovely and dense apartment buildings where no one would live willingly, or nice apartments that cost way too much to build and the people who would live there probably has the means to buy one on the private market. I think it does not have to be that way as there is a spectrum from spartan apartments to luxury condos and the public housing should deal with the lower end mostly, from "free" up to some cutoff point where it becomes pointless to compete with the private market.

I may be biased because I am typing this sitting in a pretty awesome public housing apartment in the middle of Tokyo.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

carry on then posted:

it's p nice here

i went in business one week thinking i got lucky cause it was summer.

everyone knows its cold there. they never talk about how humid it gets

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Penisface posted:

I get the feeling that you believe public housing is either lovely and dense apartment buildings where no one would live willingly, or nice apartments that cost way too much to build and the people who would live there probably has the means to buy one on the private market. I think it does not have to be that way as there is a spectrum from spartan apartments to luxury condos and the public housing should deal with the lower end mostly, from "free" up to some cutoff point where it becomes pointless to compete with the private market.

I may be biased because I am typing this sitting in a pretty awesome public housing apartment in the middle of Tokyo.

in america and the uk public housing is meant to punish people who live there for being poor. its supposed to be bad so that people wont want to live there

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dongslayer. posted:

as humid as the rest of the Midwest. people mostly blame the corn

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Neat, got an offer to go to NVIDIA this summer

Do I want to go to NVIDIA this summer?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Why not

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Like internship or real job? Either way that'll look ace on your resume

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

:yosnice:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's the way you're meant to be paid.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

qhat posted:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I do wonder when their stock bubble is going to burst.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Penisface posted:

Roadways "break even" by making it possible for large amounts of commerce to happen and then collecting tax on it. Aside from toll roads (which should be only highways)

toll roads are good and cool

taxing commerce is stupid if you can directly tax infrastructure usage instead -- gas, diesel, and title taxes are a start.

Penisface posted:

Public housing is slightly better as you can collect rent directly, but it still needs to accomodate those who can not afford any rent. If you min-max the system optimizing for profit in order to compete with the private market then chances are that you either have to drop the principle of serving the neediest or depend on tax subsidy.

this is the problem that wrecked public housing in america

it was built hastily in the face of a dire housing shortage. planners expected the residents to be a range of incomes, from the indigent to the lower rungs of the middle class office worker pool. this would provide a broad base to sustain maintenance and operating costs

after the first couple years, the immediate crisis ended, and what actually happened was that they attracted almost exclusively indigent residents who had absolutely no option, because after other housing became available, no sane man would put his family into one of those hideous, miserable towers.

as an obvious result there was no money to repair anything, much less upgrade or expand the programs. public housing became a cesspit of crime, poverty, and despair

it is certainly possible* to build better public housing, but it is very expensive. and the simple numbers on operating / maintenance costs dictate that they are gonna have to be mixed income developments, or else you will be back to cabrini-green and pruit-igoe conditions.

unsurprisingly it is difficult to convince americans to spend billions of dollars building high quality public housing stock that will primarily be used by people who had no trouble paying for housing on the open market. taxing me to provide someone else, probably someone far away, with a cool benefit is not super popular.

--

* possible, but only if the federal government allows it. virtually all public housing in america has been paid for by the federal government, and since the 80s it has been written into statute that no federally-subsidized program can have a net increase in units. ever. if you build one, you tear one down.

p.s you don't actually have to compete with the private market, you just have to do better than break even using contributions from tenants. merely paying for maintenance and repair should be cheaper than also paying off investors and creditors the way private market operators must

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 13, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dongslayer. posted:

six months of tropical heat
six months of siberian cold

nothing in between

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

six months of tropical heat
six months of siberian cold

nothing in between

see also: the prairies.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

see also: the prairies.

aren't the prairies more like 9 and 3

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aren't the prairies more like 9 and 3

tbh i had a layover there once, it was -37, and i never went back. any amount of that is too much.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

man that’s the one thing i miss about erie. winter was absolutely brutal but man the summers were nice

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

toll roads are good and cool

taxing commerce is stupid if you can directly tax infrastructure usage instead -- gas, diesel, and title taxes are a start.

This sounds good in theory, when you're just thinking about trucks or whatever, but in practice this ends up being super regressive. Think about, for example, how badly the bridge taxes impact the working poor in Contra Costa way more than the well to do of SF.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Why are we talking about transportation development in the interviewing thread anyway, lol? I thought I was in tech bubb for a minute

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

This sounds good in theory, when you're just thinking about trucks or whatever, but in practice this ends up being super regressive. Think about, for example, how badly the bridge taxes impact the working poor in Contra Costa way more than the well to do of SF.

yeah that doesn’t bother me a bit

it’s not your god given right to drive across a bridge

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah that doesn’t bother me a bit

it’s not your god given right to drive across a bridge

What if you can't afford to live on the side of the bridge you work because all the rich people pushed you out?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Maybe you (and everyone) should leave such a hellish place then :thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don’t worry amazon is putting a new HQ in the not at all crowded locations of Washington DC or NYC

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Don’t worry amazon is putting a new HQ in the not at all crowded locations of Washington DC or NYC

imo toronto, because salaries are lower and immigration is infinitely easier

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

it's actually pretty funny how a central argument canadian cities have used in their pitches has been "you can get our tech workers for bargain basement prices"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

Like internship or real job? Either way that'll look ace on your resume
internship

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

qhat posted:

Nice!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
think of the poo poo that you can only do at nvidia. so jealous 😭

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

cool, i finally got a reply back from a job on stackoverflow! let's see what they want me to do!

quote:

1. In a word document please explain to me how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
h8 2 live

(to be fair the next few questions are more on topic)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

do it, 100%.

even if you hate it, it’s only for a few months and having nvidia on your resume will get you put at the top of lots of resume piles

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Got a call today from a company that says they are gonna get me ~secret clearance~ but I have to do prescreen paperwork on a pdf that isn't even signed properly. The person over the phone emailed it to me and all their info seems to be in order but I know that poo poo can be faked. There's a page on the company's website that says there are some fun identity theft scams going around where someone calls you and asks for all your personal info as if to fill out security clearance paperwork but you just get owned. I know government contractors are behind the times with technology but I don't know if this is legit or if I'm just being paranoid.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaman Linavi posted:

cool, i finally got a reply back from a job on stackoverflow! let's see what they want me to do!

h8 2 live

(to be fair the next few questions are more on topic)

Lol. This would be an instant no for me.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Poniard posted:

Got a call today from a company that says they are gonna get me ~secret clearance~ but I have to do prescreen paperwork on a pdf that isn't even signed properly. The person over the phone emailed it to me and all their info seems to be in order but I know that poo poo can be faked. There's a page on the company's website that says there are some fun identity theft scams going around where someone calls you and asks for all your personal info as if to fill out security clearance paperwork but you just get owned. I know government contractors are behind the times with technology but I don't know if this is legit or if I'm just being paranoid.

most def handle your due diligence. don't be shy about refusing to submit private info through a sketchy communication line. but yeah, it's crazy how many companies gently caress up basic poo poo like that

a company that wanted to contract my employer as a vendor sent a form that asked all kinds of questions about security clearance and regulation compliance. it was in a word document containing macros. in tyoomfl 2015

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A friend of mine almost got scammed out of their identity by some guy who was faking job adverts online. She was suspicious about the information he was asking for so she showed up at the actual office in person and they told her several people had done the same thing and there was no actual job available. Be careful, basically.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I'm gonna make the call that it was legit. They told me I could print the forms out and hand deliver it to the office or the government classic... send it by fax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Poniard posted:

You're never being too paranoid when it comes to gov't security imo

Poniard posted:

I'm gonna make the call that it was legit. They told me I could print the forms out and hand deliver it to the office or the government classic... send it by fax.

and yeah this was the correct choice