Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That would be really cool. They did some sort of factionalism system kind of like that for the Timurids in the recent patch but it's still not that involved. But then proper internal mechanics has been like the #1 request for EU4 throughout its entire lifespan and there hasn't really been much yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Was vassal loyalty even a thing before France lost their vassal swarm? I imagine nowadays it would be pretty tough to keep them all in line.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's like, they've got the sorta bones of a factional system with states + estates, but it isn't really tied into anything. What if instead of you choosing which provinces you give to the burgers, nobles, and the rest you instead chose which provinces were "crown" provinces.

Maybe just roll it in with states, and say like if you make a state then no estate can control it.

Then as your empire grows ever larger and you surpass your state cap, the estates start to grow out of control and you have to deal with all those currently easily avoidable crises or some new related mechanic. The nobles could bust out a vassal state you control, perhaps a march. The burgers I dunno, maybe it all ends in spinning out various vassal types.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's clearly too late for EU4, but it really would be nice if EU5 had a more integrated internal management system. Like, estates, vassals, and autonomy are not exactly entirely separate things, but they sure feel like it in EU4.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Maybe just roll it in with states, and say like if you make a state then no estate can control it.

Then as your empire grows ever larger and you surpass your state cap, the estates start to grow out of control and you have to deal with all those currently easily avoidable crises or some new related mechanic. The nobles could bust out a vassal state you control, perhaps a march. The burgers I dunno, maybe it all ends in spinning out various vassal types.
From a pure realism perspective, you could probably legitimately limit the state cap to 1 for most states at the beginning of the game. If how much you got out of the rest of your provinces was 100% dependent on how loyal and influential your estates were, then they'd actually feel like proper factions. Maybe also make it so their loyalty would increase when you were fighting a defensive war, and decrease during an offensive one - depending on what kind of war you're fighting at least. That'd make the biggest countries less consistently dominating early on, and make conquests a riskier proposition because your enemy will rally to the flag while your own factions start getting annoyed with your attempts at conquest.

That would be the early game of course, eventually you should be able to more and more consistently get the factions to align with your goals. Or at least some of them*, meaning the largest countries could more consistently draw on their full potential, shifting the balance of power towards them as happened historically. Late-game, the state cap could really start to go up, signifying the creation of modern state bureaucracies and letting the player run amok with their glorious new empire-forging power.

*Which factions you favor could really be a big deal here in terms of defining your country, with some obviously being more compatible with certain government types than others.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

man I'm watching DDRjake's unlucky lucca and his growth despite the many setbacks make my playstyle look all the less competent. I really need to learn how to wage war like him

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

And personal unions, I get that you if you magically get your dynasty on someone's throne you can declare and fight a union war. How do you actually get your dynasty on their throne? Is there some method? I've got almost 1000 hours in the game and I've had a personal union on GB as Spain in my first game ever and then a union with Hungary in my current game. They just never come up!

Find countries without an heir (there’s a near-constant alert for this if you’re a Christian so shouldn’t be too hard) and marry them. If you have more prestige than them and they die heirless, you might get your dynasty on their throne. It’s actually loads more complicated than this how the game decides but that’s what you should do if you want to spread your dynasty.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Who's the recommended country in India these days?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cockblocktopus posted:

Ceylon :gizz:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cockblocktopus posted:

Bahmanis, Vijayanagar, Bengal, Jaunpur are all easy to get swole with. Delhi is also good but starts with a nasty big revolt and can run into trouble if Timurids are doing well. Nepal has a weak starting position but kickass ideas, I keep meaning to do a run with them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cockblocktopus posted:

Easiest - Vijayanagar, Bahmanis or Delhi (first two are both large and wealthy with good rulers, Delhi has a ton of cores which you can reconquer to become rediculously strong)

Bengal is also noteworthy since they have few natural enemies, depending on how quickly you can expand to the East you can eat a good chunk of Indochina before Ming locks it all down

Nepal has great NIs but a garbage starting position, Orissa is one of my favourites for having a challenging start in spite of your god-monarch (who gets event murdered because India isn't allowed nice things).

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Koramei posted:

You could pretty much play any of them other than France. Aside from Ming and the Ottomans it's the easiest nation in the game; you can get real challenges as Portugal, Burgundy... I forget the other recommended nations off hand but anyway. This seems like a really odd complaint.

Alternatively, play on a higher difficulty.

Not to say you haven't got valid complaints but the game has changed and improved an absolute shitload over the years, it's not just random bandaid fixes (although that has seemed to be the trend for the past year or so). Yeah Paradox haven't solved AI logistics stuff but getting that to function in a reasonable way is probably one of the single most complex problems that exists in strategy game AI programming so I think you should cut them some slack on that.

Someone else already replied, but just to clarify - it really isn't about easy vs. hard, it's about how fun it is. I don't think "France should be an enjoyable game" is a big stretch, but it isn't right now, and a big reason is the chief complaint of EU since EU3 (not EU2, though, notably): Peace is boring.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did Orissa and it was good. Nice orange color if that's your bag.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Orissa is one of my favourites for having a challenging start in spite of your god-monarch (who gets event murdered because India isn't allowed nice things).

It’s been a while since I did my god drat tropical wood achievement run with Orissa (never do this by the way it’s a gigantic pain in the rear end in a top hat) but if I recall there’s a way to circumvent this event. Check the trigger conditions, it’s linked to having conquered certain provinces in a certain date range.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I don't think my Orissa king got murdered. Or else I've forgotten because it just flows in with all the other "accidents".

I didn't bother with that wood achievement, I went to resource view and saw all these rando provinces I'd have to get and said forget it too hard.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

double nine posted:

man I'm watching DDRjake's unlucky lucca and his growth despite the many setbacks make my playstyle look all the less competent. I really need to learn how to wage war like him
I really liked how his no CB war on Egypt ended up better than my regular ones, with allies and CBs usually do

What I really don't like is that he keeps referencing Rance, which is uhhhhhhh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I don't think my Orissa king got murdered. Or else I've forgotten because it just flows in with all the other "accidents".

I didn't bother with that wood achievement, I went to resource view and saw all these rando provinces I'd have to get and said forget it too hard.

Yeah it’s awful. Every time you think “ok, just a couple more provinces!” it pops up a couple more godawful 1/1/1 tropical jungle provinces in southeast Africa or inner Brazil. You end up fighting an unreal number of colonial wars for gently caress all.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, if I give my vassal lands that I border but they do not, can they core it? I feel like feeding my pet Blackfeet a buncha other natives but I don't have whatever DLC lets you give them land and I don't feel like losing 10 prestige a pop just to connect the lands

edit: nevermind, it actually tells me when I try it! Now, if only I knew why it won't let them core~

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 13, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

edit: Also speaking of vassals. I'm playing Austria for the first time and don't quite get it. Like should I be reclaiming imperial land from current HRE members every chance I get? I was doing that, but now all the electors have like -1000 and won't vote for me. Should I only use the imperial CB (whatever it's called) if an actual member state was eliminated?

In general you should always tell HRE members to return land if they've just eliminated another member, as this will help keep your member count up, which in turns helps your Imperial Authority. An exception might be if they're an elector you don't want to piss off, as demanding someone return land will incur an opinion hit, which will affect their voting weight. If you have enough opinion/voting weight with them you might still be able to demand land without losing the vote.

If they've just taken land but not eliminated anyone you may still want to demand they return the land to help maintain balance of power, but it's much more of a judgment call. The UI really doesn't help with figuring this poo poo out; it really ought to tell you who will receive the land when it's returned, because keeping track of who's fighting who in every HRE war is impossible, and you're not always sure if it was an OPM that got eaten or if it was just a bite out of someone bigger.

Demanding land shouldn't be giving you -1000 voting weight with all of the electors, I would imagine this is due to you having no valid heir. If you have no heir, just wait until you get one (maybe make some royal marriages to increase your chances), or if your heir is female, there is a decision (the Pragmatic Sanction) that makes females valid HRE heirs. I can't remember off-hand what the requirements/costs for that are.

e: btw you can see what's affecting voting weight with your electors in the HRE screen

e2: Another Austria tip which I discovered in the Austria game I just played, if you can inherit an elector, you inherit their electorship too and can vote for yourself. Makes keeping the throne trivial. Probably works with integration as well as inheritance but I haven't tested it.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 13, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ah you're right, I had no heir. Wish it said that instead of just "not eligible". Why not!??

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ah you're right, I had no heir. Wish it said that instead of just "not eligible". Why not!??

Its a vague tooltip (imagine that, in this game???) but iirc the only reasons you can be ineligible are no heir and female heir. Well, also wrong religion but if you are wrong religion you lose the imperial title immediately so your re-election prospectus is moot point.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Firebatgyro posted:

I don't see how different countries having different levels of difficulty is a problem. If you are finding France too easy then don't play France, theres like 100 different countries of various power levels in Europe alone.

If you are really craving that forming France experience though, you can pick them, release all the tags like orleans, bourbonaisse, etc, and then release and play as the one of your choice.

I like different levels of difficulty but it's annoying how certain aspects of the game get railroaded. I play in Central Asia a lot and every single game, Muscovy forms Russia in the late 1500s and conquers the steppes. I have never seen Muscovy fail to form Russia unless I started nearby and invaded them early (and one game where the Ottomans decided gently caress the Middle East and went north from Crimea instead). Even if Muscovy is supposed to be an easy nation, I would find it more interesting if they sometimes lost to the other Baltic nations, or if an AI horde that unified the steppe had any chance of stopping Russian expansion.

England is the same way except that the AI is terrible at fighting on the continent.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The biggest problem with India is the best strategy for any country is culture shifting and forming Mughals because Bharat and Hindustan don't give you cool NIs

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

James Garfield posted:

I like different levels of difficulty but it's annoying how certain aspects of the game get railroaded. I play in Central Asia a lot and every single game, Muscovy forms Russia in the late 1500s and conquers the steppes. I have never seen Muscovy fail to form Russia unless I started nearby and invaded them early (and one game where the Ottomans decided gently caress the Middle East and went north from Crimea instead). Even if Muscovy is supposed to be an easy nation, I would find it more interesting if they sometimes lost to the other Baltic nations, or if an AI horde that unified the steppe had any chance of stopping Russian expansion.

England is the same way except that the AI is terrible at fighting on the continent.

My point was for player countries, I completely agree that AIs (Ming/Otto/Muscovy) being unable to fail without player intervention is a serious issue. The big Euro countries all seem to get gangbanged to death by the HRE (or in the case of Spain by the North African Alliance) around 10-20% of the time which seems about right for game diversity.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cockblocktopus posted:

Comedy/Hard Option: Do what i did in the region and play Baglana, a nation best described by the EU4 wiki as "a select-able nation!"

It's a difficult start, but I think I remember the ideas being pretty good, and you start as Hindu, which has cool mechanics. It was also pretty fun trying to maneuver Vijayanagar/Bahmanis to kill each other in just the right way to give me an opening.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 13, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Firebatgyro posted:

The biggest problem with India is the best strategy for any country is culture shifting and forming Mughals because Bharat and Hindustan don't give you cool NIs

Agree but this problem also applies to like half of the Middle East where the optimal strategy is "rush to India and culture shift for the sick NIs"

Baharat and Hindustan should get their own appropriately-good NI sets though (and they should not be the same one)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm going for Ideas guy and I'm wondering where to play. I thought it might be fun to go North American and then pick Siberian frontiers as one of my ideas/traditions, but then wondered if I could combine that with Sunset Invasion, but didn't someone mention problems with reforming the religion if you picked a higher tech group?

Also what's the deal with High American? Is it better than Western?

Also, Ironman requiring Historical Lucky Nations is utter garbage. They loving suck; why not let it be random or none?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sunset invasion is specifically playing as the aztecs, you may be thinking of For Odin. for odin requires 200 points or less though and siberian frontiers will eat up that

anyway high american is the best tech group and only appears in the ck2 super aztec saves or from fantasy new world

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Finally got Luck of the Irish, an achievement that had eluded me for years. What made the difference from my previous failed runs was Scotland declaring war on me (Leinster) and with loans, mercs and a good general I was able to beat them and take Ayrshire and Lothian. This got me a foothold in mainland Britain and cut England off from taking Scottish land. Later, England was leader of the Protestant League and I had joined the Catholics. Because most his army was away, it was just a matter of pushing south, sieging down the forts and dealing with England's shipped in reinforcements. The peace ending the war gave me Pale, Cumbria and Northumberland. After that it was pretty straightforward strategy of DoW'ing, taking as many provinces overextension would allow, waiting for the truce to end, repeat.

I'm pretty satisfied to get this white whale of an achievement; the fact that St. Patrick's Day is in a few days makes it all the sweeter.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm going for Ideas guy and I'm wondering where to play. I thought it might be fun to go North American and then pick Siberian frontiers as one of my ideas/traditions, but then wondered if I could combine that with Sunset Invasion, but didn't someone mention problems with reforming the religion if you picked a higher tech group?

Also what's the deal with High American? Is it better than Western?

Also, Ironman requiring Historical Lucky Nations is utter garbage. They loving suck; why not let it be random or none?

High American has better troops for almost the entire game. Western finally catches up in the mid to late 20's of mil tech. Western countries don't get a neighbor bonus from you, but you also don't get a neighbor bonus from them, but you can allegedly get the western arms deal modifier to get a flat 10% bonus on tech. There are certain decisions and events that can't happen to High American tech group countries.

High American is just all around better really.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
why the gently caress do the reforms only work with the mesoamerican tech group

why would you do that? why the heck would you not let the high americans do it too?

Also it's incredibly irritating to try and reform as them when everyone and their mom allies right away and no-one wants to ally me because I'm a filthy Nahuatl, but if I try and grow I get hosed over by doom super fast

What even happens if it fills up completely?

Also it's great when the AI declares humilations on me and then I get a loving truce on them! I almost, almost miss the system as it is in CK2 where if you were the defender you had not truce against the aggressor (no not really but not being able to declare multiple wars, instantly and at game start is pretty irritating too)

And I can't vassalize that way. There's something disturbingly idiotic about protective humiliation wars

Ok, so what are the tricks here, other than just abandoning Nahuatl and going back to Sikhism/Shinto? Is Inti worth a drat?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Nation designer is balanced for multiplayer, and reforms give you some super strong bonuses. Tying it to the Mesoamerican group offsets that.

if you're that bothered, it's trivial to mod

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Spain declared war on me (Imerina) for my single gold province, despite having no territory anywhere near it. So far they have lost 85 ships trying to invade random islands in Indonesia. Hopefully it's worth it :ohdear:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Take the Siberian outposts idea. Take all of the Americas by 1550

I never realized this idea worked in the New World. I tried this for comedy and I own almost all of North America and it's only 1490.

It's hilarious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

deathbagel posted:

I never realized this idea worked in the New World. I tried this for comedy and I own almost all of North America and it's only 1490.

It's hilarious.

When Third Rome first came out, Siberian Frontiers was a free pick, so you could break poo poo to an absolutely hilarious extent.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I swear this game has a built-in kill switch for great rulers.

I played as Moldavia and somehow got a 28-year-old 6/6/6 duchess. She lasted 8 months before dying. Alt-F4.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mystic_Shadow posted:

I played as Moldavia and somehow got a 28-year-old 6/6/6 duchess. She lasted 8 months before dying. Alt-F4.

My Coptomans->Byzantium game got me a talented and ambitious 6/6/6 daughter who ruled for over 50 years, becoming incorruptible, just, and Midas touched over that time and spawning a 5/5/5 son.

The son took the throne at age 62, had two children who both died by event within a couple years one after the other, and then became craven and died without an heir, extinguishing the Osmanoglu dynasty. Except for the cadet branch in Savoy but they don’t count.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

skasion posted:

My Coptomans->Byzantium game got me a talented and ambitious 6/6/6 daughter who ruled for over 50 years, becoming incorruptible, just, and Midas touched over that time and spawning a 5/5/5 son.

The son took the throne at age 62, had two children who both died by event within a couple years one after the other, and then became craven and died without an heir, extinguishing the Osmanoglu dynasty. Except for the cadet branch in Savoy but they don’t count.

I know it's just observer bias, but I was really mad because previously I got the event where your heir falls sick, and I chose to pray for my 2/1/0 heir and he lived. So I disinherited and got the 6/6/6 heir from another consort, and she just dies.

Having a good ruler last a long time can be key to fulfilling tough achievements with small nations, so there was no point in continuing that run.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh yiss, finally got the drat Nahuatl campaign rolling, the trick ended up picking infantry combat ability as the other tradition, then Prussian Monarchy and pimping out my monarch so that they have both morale and discipline while never, ever making them a general.

Then just pumping up that militarization. I can't create a vassal with this government type right?

How the heck you're supposed to do this legit is beyond me and I'm already worried what will happen when the Europeans arrive, but what the hell right?

Louisiana is now the Swampy Jewel of the World, while I wrap up the last of the N-Americans before heading downwards. That may be a mistake, tbh, but making my name bigger is so satisfying and each lil conquest opens up more places to plop down Frontier Outposts before I get the tech from reforming.

I should probably start warring the other Centro-Americans though, if only to get some real development. As a ~Primitive~ I don't get full gold from mines right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mystic_Shadow posted:

I can say from really good authority, there isn't :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Groogy posted:

I can say from really good authority, there isn't :colbert:

Is it a button?