Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Skaw posted:

Lucia's reveal is more about Aymeric than Lucia herself. She's a dyed in the wool pure blooded Garlean capital P Patriot, sent to spy on the bastard son of the most powerful man in Ishgard. She defects because of his determination and charisma, knowing full well she'll never be able to go home or see her family again. If he can convince a literal enemy of the state to follow him, surely he can be the catalyst that convinces Ishgard to correct course from their terrible history and break the endless, manipulative cycle used by the theocracy to perpetuate the hate.

I don't know how pureblooded garleans can be expected to be spies of anything, what with the big obvious sign stuck on their forehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Funny thing is, Count Fortemps made a much bigger impression on me than Haurchefant. He's the guy who repeatedly, when people question you being allowed into Ishgard early in HW, points out that you're the one who killed Gaius van Baelsar, destroyed Ultima Weapon, and slew a whole bucketload of primals. It's an effective argument for shutting people up. And he lets you crash on his couch while you're theoretically in exile.

Ayemric is the other guy who's made a big, positive impression on me from the Ishgard cast who wasn't part of the road trip. I like his character arc and internal conflicts, even if the church is evil because RPG there are clearly people like Ayemric who genuinely live what they claim to believe.

And, just now, didn't care for Lucia's reveal. It's neat, I guess, but what does it add to her character beyond further making her an accessory to a male character who already vastly overshadows her? I hope the story does something neat with her Garlean background, I love the Garleans' style and magitek poo poo so much more than traditional fantasy stuff. I'd love to see a genuine Garlean rebellion headed by characters like Cid and Lucia.

I'm still struggling with cutscenes forgetting that I'm playing a healer. :v:

Right, but

The only reason you meet Count Fortemps is because of Haurchefant getting you a meeting with him and by extension Ward status. :v:

No doubt on the issue of the Count though. He's a cool dude.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Do they usually drop patch notes closer to the maint starting or ending? I wanna read about my soon to be FFXI level grind.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I'm still struggling with cutscenes forgetting that I'm playing a healer. :v:

I always assumed that gameplay mechanics are heavily divorced from the underlying 'reality' and that saving people from utterly fatal wounds is not actually a thing healers can do.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hra Mormo posted:

Drk to 50 and especially the capstone quest is really good. After that though if you're not super into the edgelordyness it goes down the drain, but never to the level of the truly lovely job quests like Pld before SB.

The 50-60 stuff doesn't really stand out, but the 60-70 quests are still the best of the SB job quests.

Schneider Heim posted:

Does PGL/MNK ever reach Fist of the North Star's level of punching awesomeness? That's the only class I don't have yet.

PGL is pretty great. Monk's best stuff is the 50-60 quests.

vOv posted:

I always assumed that gameplay mechanics are heavily divorced from the underlying 'reality' and that saving people from utterly fatal wounds is not actually a thing healers can do.

The way that kind of stuff tends to be represented is like accelerating the body's natural healing process and numbing the pain. If it was a wound that the body couldn't heal by itself in any way, like a severed arm, the magic really just makes you feel better.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 13, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hra Mormo posted:

Drk to 50 and especially the capstone quest is really good. After that though if you're not super into the edgelordyness it goes down the drain, but never to the level of the truly lovely job quests like Pld before SB.

Mch is my personal favourite and is an excellent complement to the Ishgard plot. Probably has the best characters too aside from Hamon Holyfist.

Doing drg before HW is also pretty good since you meet Estinien early which slightly changes his dialogue and significantly changes your dynamic with him.

Most jobs have atleast one pretty good arc so ultimately I'd just play whatever feels cool at the time.

If your take away from DRK 50 to 60 was “just edgelordyness” then man you were not paying attention.

A significant plot point is Moogles accidentally(?) antagonizing your Dark Knight buddy into grasping that being an angsty closed off rear end in a top hat actually limits you as a Dark Knight. Like the whole thesis of DRK 50-60 is “DON’T be a brooding friendless rear end in a top hat like early 2000s Batman”.

And then 60-70 is more or less a direct continuation of 30 to 50s themes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Schneider Heim posted:

Oh cool! I've been thinking of unlocking DRG next.

Does PGL/MNK ever reach Fist of the North Star's level of punching awesomeness? That's the only class I don't have yet.

PGl 1-30 is to this day probably my favorite job quest in the game. After pgl I would put cul 50-60 and then drk 30-50. War 60-70 a solid runner up, followed by weaver 1-50.

On average, I would say goldsmith has the best job quests in the game. ARR, HW, and SB are all consistently top tier, while not being the best. Every other job has sections which falter.

Edit: Patch notes are up https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/5ad19879fc01a5d878af9a7f90f29e4a2394c5b4

Man does Diadem Eureka sound like a real pile of poo poo.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 13, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For DRK unlock requirements, all I need is to have started the HW storyline? Since it's a job that doesn't have an underlying class? Or do I need either GLD or MRD to 30?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

For DRK unlock requirements, all I need is to have started the HW storyline?

Correct. Neither the HW or SB jobs have a base class requirement

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

PGl 1-30 is to this day probably my favorite job quest in the game. After pgl I would put cul 50-60 and then drk 30-50. War 60-70 a solid runner up, followed by weaver 1-50.

On average, I would say goldsmith has the best job quests in the game. ARR, HW, and SB are all consistently top tier, while not being the best. Every other job has sections which falter.

Edit: Patch notes are up https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/5ad19879fc01a5d878af9a7f90f29e4a2394c5b4

Man does Diadem Eureka sound like a real pile of poo poo.

No word on relic in the patch notes. :thunk:

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 13, 2018

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Eureka sounds so bad, Hope I'm wrong

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
edit: nah

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

No word on relic in the patch notes. :think:
Gerolt is mentioned though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YoshiP reports about Ungarmax.

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv...113#post4611113

YoshiP posted:

- Prior to midnight JST, 2/27, 25 characters across 21 accounts were confirmed to have used Ungarmax in 8-man duties.

Our Assessment and Response:
The players of these 25 characters were confirmed as having exploited the bug prior to knowledge of it becoming widespread. Therefore, they not only chose to use Ungarmax outside of command missions, but actively concealed the existence of the bug allowing them to do so from others. Accordingly, their accounts are being suspended.

- After midnight JST, 2/27, 1110 characters were confirmed to have exploited this bug to execute Ungarmax under abnormal circumstances.

Our Assessment:
Of these 1110 characters, 457 exploited the bug only once, and in either public or housing areas, or in undersized parties in older instanced content. Given the circumstances, we believe these instances were simply players seeking to confirm whether or not the bug did indeed exist. Of the remaining characters, 523 characters used it more than once, albeit only a few times. However, 130 characters were confirmed to have repeatedly exploited this bug. Players will be treated differently according to these factors.
As an additional note, while during our investigation we confirmed that several players exploited this bug while undertaking the Unending Coil of Bahamut prior to 2/27, and one player after, none successfully completed the duty.

Our Response:
Players we judge to have exploited this bug not to progress through content, but solely out of curiosity, will not be subject to disciplinary action. Not only was this a major bug that was created by developer error, it persisted for months due to our failure to properly process user reports, and the resulting usage by curious players upon word of it spreading is understandable. Our analysis of battle and other log data from the period of when information on the bug was disseminated until the bug was fixed confirms that these players did not profit from its usage, and we see no reason to hold them to account. That being said, we must strongly encourage you all to not experiment with these bugs in the future, and to that end will be sending mails to all concerned.
Players who exploited this bug more than once, if only a few times, will be regarded as having done so intentionally, and therefore will be subject to a 24-hour account suspension. However, players who exploited this bug a significant number of times will be more harshly penalized.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I call bullshit that they were able to detect each and every use of Ungarmax prior to February 27th. Yoshi-P can come out and report this as nicely as he wants, but given how widespread knowledge of the bug was, I call bullshit that there were *only* 21 accounts worth of people who used it before in 8-mans.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I call bullshit that they were able to detect each and every use of Ungarmax prior to February 27th. Yoshi-P can come out and report this as nicely as he wants, but given how widespread knowledge of the bug was, I call bullshit that there were *only* 21 accounts worth of people who used it before in 8-mans.

Where did he claim they detected each use? He explicitly says 'confirmed'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I imagine they examined the records for 8-mans that they have, which I expect are not permanent forever but do go back a couple weeks or so. If they'd had a better system they would have probably found more uses during the period when it flared up the first time. They can also be 100% sure that anyone using Ungarmax in 8-man content at all is breaking the rules.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Nessus posted:

I imagine they examined the records for 8-mans that they have, which I expect are not permanent forever but do go back a couple weeks or so. If they'd had a better system they would have probably found more uses during the period when it flared up the first time. They can also be 100% sure that anyone using Ungarmax in 8-man content at all is breaking the rules.

Yeah, note that after feb 27th he was able to detect players using it everywhere, but before he only mentioned uses in 8 mans. I imagine the server keeps more detailed logs in 8 man instances than elsewhere, to help catch cheaters and troubleshoot bugs in their endgame content.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Philonius posted:

Yeah, note that after feb 27th he was able to detect players using it everywhere, but before he only mentioned uses in 8 mans. I imagine the server keeps more detailed logs in 8 man instances than elsewhere, to help catch cheaters and troubleshoot bugs in their endgame content.
My personal favorite here is that that dude used Ungarmax and got his Lalafell rear end banned, and still couldn't clear the fight.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

No increase to glamour dresser size? Gah I was really hoping they'd at least give us like an extra 100 slots or so.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What is the stat priority for Samurai? After getting it to 70 I found I like it a lot and am switching mains from DRG.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, this is diadem 3

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, this is diadem 3

Oh yeah.

Relic seems to be weapons and armor both now. Hope you like grinding literal thousands of crystals. First 2 steps gets your poo poo to i345. Not sure what's after. But we got 3 crystals in 30 minutes of faffing about, and you need 1300 just to get the weapon to 345.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Philonius posted:

Oh yeah.

Relic seems to be weapons and armor both now. Hope you like grinding literal thousands of crystals. First 2 steps gets your poo poo to i345. Not sure what's after. But we got 3 crystals in 30 minutes of faffing about, and you need 1300 just to get the weapon to 345.

:eyepoop:

See you in 4.3, then.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha going by the patch notes alone, Eureka sounds even more insufferable than I expected :suicide:

Also, good job making protect more powerful I guess?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

:eyepoop:

See you in 4.3, then.
Based on the drop rates so far it seems like its probably not gonna be that much worse than pre-nerf atma (lmao). Also for the first time ever they did something smart in a hell grind and give you guaranteed drops, you get one crystal every time you peg the chain at 30 kills

So at minimum you only have to kill like 30,000 mobs

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 13, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Philonius posted:

Oh yeah.

"The quantity and frequency with which protean crystals can be obtained will increase with the elemental level of enemies, the greatest yields coming from those at level 20 or above."

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

"The quantity and frequency with which protean crystals can be obtained will increase with the elemental level of enemies, the greatest yields coming from those at level 20 or above."

True, and at chain 10 and 20 you get increased droprates. We were killing level 2s.

I imagine the boss fates drop a stack too, so not sure at this point how much grinding it will really take.

But the relic weapon caps at i355 now, and the relic armor at i350.

Given how easy it is to get a Byakko weapon / sigma normal , that's just not fair. In previous patches the relic always worked up to the current best achievable 'casual weapon' , so it should be i360. And given that sigma normal armor takes zero effort to get, the armor should at least be i355 if not i360 too. I heard they have 5 materia slots though, so I guess it's an upgrade if you spend a few million gil on your set.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dear Square, please stop letting that one old FFXI staff member manage and develop major content. Nobody wants to loving play FFXI again, even in Japan.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i hope when they do diadem 4.0 it just disconnects you from ff14, crashes the game client, and then force launches playonline and navigates you to the engrishy menu of ff11 subscription options

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

orcane posted:

That's just in PvP. I was about to laugh about Wildfire being nerfed, but these ability changes are just for a method of play that only robots use.

Edit:

Asimo posted:

Dear Square, please stop letting that one old FFXI staff member manage and develop major content. Nobody wants to loving play FFXI again, even in Japan.

I hope all the people who still cling to the glory days of FFXI are the first to bitch about Eureka being a pain in the rear end.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 13, 2018

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
congratulations yoshi the content you delayed for months and axed a dungeon every other patch for is the literal worst content to ever be put into the game

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Philonius posted:

But the relic weapon caps at i355 now, and the relic armor at i350.

Given how easy it is to get a Byakko weapon / sigma normal , that's just not fair. In previous patches the relic always worked up to the current best achievable 'casual weapon' , so it should be i360. And given that sigma normal armor takes zero effort to get, the armor should at least be i355 if not i360 too. I heard they have 5 materia slots though, so I guess it's an upgrade if you spend a few million gil on your set.

But do they look cool?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
this isn't even content. it's a field full of monsters that you just tediously grind. you'd get the same experience by rolling a new character and heading out into the starting zone to grind mobs, except without a system designed just to make the whole thing more tedious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
perhaps if the monsters would sometimes drop loot with random stats..

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

perhaps if the monsters would sometimes drop loot with random stats..

rip the whole pvp system wholesale, speed it up so you get some weird actiony combat system with a 1.0-1.5s gcd, throw in random loot drops and upgrades with the item system from POTD, boom you've maybe created some weird and at least unique diablo action island instead of "hey guys remember ffxiv 1.0"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

thankfully absolutely everyone is dunking on this and calling it garbage so maybe, just maybe, they'll nerf the poo poo out of the grind for it so you can at least reasonably get the cosmetics from it

looking like a nice, dried out content drought to 4.4 though, assuming it's alliance raid + 1 dungeon + random hard trial again

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

orcane posted:

Haha going by the patch notes alone, Eureka sounds even more insufferable than I expected :suicide:

That's a PVP change.

Asimo posted:

His name is Nobuaki Komoto. Learn it, that you may focus your rage upon it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'll still play this just long enough to get a dyable version of the RDM hat, since the color of the set doesn't quite match any of the red dyes

But geez Eureka looks horrible. Guess I won't be doing the weapon grind this expansion, and I say that as the sort of turbonerd who ground out multiple anima weapons in HW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I never even touched Diadem at any point and this was like "well... I guess there is a bit of novelty in seeing what looks like the FFXIV version of the Normandy Beach Landings, but I have been doing this stuff for 30 minutes and only got like 2 crystals."

Hell, the level 1-3 enemies in the starting area look straight up bot-able.