Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

It'd be cool (or "cool" :v:,) but I think this is crossing the line into willfully screwing up. Maybe if you do them encased in glass though... :eng101:

Look it's only willfully screwing up if you intend it to go wrong. I'm just suggesting we build the possibility of it going horribly wrong into the design. Totally different, honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I was attacked by the dead. I am not upset by this."

I think we got our new motto.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
From the Journal of Oddom "DivineCoffeeBinge" Mersethzulban, Chef, Jeweler, Fortress Founder

Another human with a crossbow showed up, only this one was with a caravan. They were so impressed by our guards beating the unlife out of zombie ravens with their bare hands (because I guess weapons just slow them down or some crap) that they asked if they could stay and kill things too.

Thank Armok the tavern is open.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Throw me on the dwarf pile. Hell, throw me on the overseer pile too if you don't mind. What version is this using, anyway? 0.44.03 as the last 2017 release, or something else?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, I haven't seen a good old succession fort in ages.
IIRC the later ones started getting bogged down by people getting really into the journaling/roleplaying stuff, which turned some people off & made it awkward for them to actually end. I might just be thinking of Fogwall(?) though.

Enough's changed since the last one I remember seeing that this ought to be Fun, though.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Haifisch posted:

Throw me on the dwarf pile. Hell, throw me on the overseer pile too if you don't mind. What version is this using, anyway? 0.44.03 as the last 2017 release, or something else?

IIRC the later ones started getting bogged down by people getting really into the journaling/roleplaying stuff, which turned some people off & made it awkward for them to actually end. I might just be thinking of Fogwall(?) though.

Enough's changed since the last one I remember seeing that this ought to be Fun, though.

I think we've got enough FUN available on this map that it's going to go to hell (literally and figuratively) no matter what the journal-writers/RPers do. :v:

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I reward him by telling him to coronate the opening of our new tavern. Build so the stones are kept pleasantly warmed by the heat of the nearby volcano we have dubbed it ‘The Molten Beer.’ A Bad Place lit up with joy and nearly immediately played one of the most beautiful songs i’ve ever heard.

Soaked in the blood of the restless dead
You'd rather be soaked in spirits instead
Lay down your hammer, pull up a stool, you're here
You're at The Molten Beer

When you say, "I'm not upset by this"
To hide the howling of the abyss
Family fun, music, warm drinks, and good cheer
Here at The Molten Beer

At The Molten Beer the dark voices subside
Your new best friends are all waiting inside!

Come celebrate with us at the Grand Opening of our new location in the Volcano of Torment, just off the Ashamed Prairie - you can't escape miss it!

edit2: I kept working on it, I don't know why.

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 13, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I'm a rude chemist who keeps getting into bitter arguments. That's totally not a recipe for someone getting poisoned sooner or later.

I'm also not too up to date on Dwarf Fortress, do chemists actually do anything useful?

Yes, they do something useful. Not useful for a brand new fort though.

Libraries are where dwarfs meet their intellectual needs. Dwarfs have intellectual needs now. If you have books you keep 'em here and dwarfs read them and get happy thoughts. Dwarfs can also ponder concepts or discuss concepts, and this will be done even in a completely empty library, but books are fun. Through a complex production chain you can produce blank scrolls or books, and if your library has tables, chairs, and blank scrolls scholars can write brand new books there. You can assign dwarfs to work in the library as either scholars who eventually produce new books, or as scribes who will make copies of existing books. You can sell the copies to caravans.

And that's where your Chemist comes in. If assigned to a library as a scholar your chemist will ponder, talk about, and write about chemistry. He can make discoveries by pondering the concept of flasks or whatever, but for now this doesn't actually change the tech level of the civilization. If he's really skilled other scholars may come from far and wide to talk with him and read his books. High skill makes higher quality books, which are worth more as trade goods and probably more satisfying to read.

If you assign random unskilled dwarfs to be scholars, they make awful self-indulgent navel gazing books like this:

This guy wrote a bad essay about the time he changed careers from dyer to dancer.

This fella thinks the world wants a 20 page essay about the time he became an apprentice.

And this one is a terrible book talking about the author's previous terrible book.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Facebook Aunt posted:

And this one is a terrible book talking about the author's previous terrible book.

I want an artifact book that's recursive (or fractal) now. It would obviously be named "Pagepacked." :v:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh man, my character seems like an rear end in a top hat. I love her! :allears:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh my god you can write bad fanfiction. Truly, nothing else can ever hope to match Dwarf Fortress' features.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hell yeah, another one. Dorf me, please.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dwarf me, please.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'd like to say that's not unlike reality, but (as far as I know) it is. Sorry Pool!

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Another body for the pile. Dorf me if you'd be so kind, no preference.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Journal of M_Gargantua, a very busy manager of ValleySilences in the year 565

5th of Malachite:

Today IPA Regulations was born: Daughter of u brexit ukip it and Epsilon Moonshade. He is their fifth child and forth daughter. Making her a cousin of Corbeau, and aunt of Grey Hunter and LostCosmonaut. She dreams of one day making a great work of art.

Meanwhile, excavations reveal yet another large cavern. This one with an even larger underground lake.

Our growing barracks is learning from the best.

17th Malachite;

The Caravan departs, and within moments they are surprised as they are ambushed by a beast! The WereTortoise Tiqua Nodade has descended the mountain! The WereTortoise is slow and heavily armored in its shell. A Human Merchant is quickly is overwhelmed by the assault. And Jamsque and Balon sally forth from the barracks to risk their lives for our defense.

But they stop short, watching a miracle. Iba Risluzin, one of the human guards of the caravan, expertly engages the beast in single combat. Saving the life of the wounded merchant by inches. Blocking each claw and tooth so as to not allow a scratch on her. Gracefully leaping away from the bone crushing swipes of the beasts huge legs.

Her Silver halberd a flashing crescent spewing blood from the exposed legs, severing muscle, tendons, and nerves. One crushing blow cracks its shell and the beast howls in pain.

With one final pounce the beast attempts to claim Iba’s life, but she impales the Halberd through its guts and the rapid blood loss finally takes its life.

Arban performs the grand honor of dumping the body

Tiqua Nodades body makes a satisfying sacrifice to Torment as the skin burns away in the magma. Our moments of triumph are short lived though, from the bloody gravel at the foot of the slope a severed arm is reconstituted by the evil of this place. It lunges and grabs McGibby who tries futilely to fight back. The unnatural strength of the severed werecreature is multiplied again by the twisted effect of this mountainous graveyard.

The undead arm bruises every inch of her and wrenches joints loose. She cries out in intense pain before collapsing unconscious. Arban and theshim attempt to save her, but are themselves extensively harmed before Jamsque and Balon finally crush the arm with their hammers.

Even with the medical staff and supplies we have, their chances of survival aren’t great.

StrangeAeon and Doctor Pharnecks quickly bring them to the newly stocked hospital

Arban is lucky to make a rapid recovery. Pharnakes may be far more skilled than I have given him credit for.

The shim is quickly diagnosed, needing Suturing, Bone Immobilization, and Wound dressing. Having lost his ability to grasp and having multiple torn tendons and ligaments as well as moderate tissue damage

McGibby is likely the worst off. Requiring cleaning, surgery, Setting, Dressing, Suturing, Traction, and full immobilization. Her body is broken, having lost the use of his hands and possibly paralyzed from the waist down due to trauma to her spine. Torn Tendons, Ligaments, and Compound fractures exacerbate the issues of her possible recovery.

While they are confined to beds, the farm and water source is finished and filled. Multiple wells are being dropped to this clean source of water so that no more dwarves must step outside.

30th of Galena;

To celebrate the excitement of the past few months, I throw some special statue commissions to adorn our growing temple and statue garden.

The Random Corruption of Creatures, which is a simple depiction Iba Risluzin striking down Tiqua Nodades.

I am far more proud of what the masons came up with for my other requests:

The Armored Memory. To commemorate the return of Chamberwaddles to the crown. I think the dwarves here will feel some sort of attachment to such a great moment that one of our own precipitated. clockwork chaos has secured her place in history, and it is to be remembered.

The Treaties of Vigor, Megane beating Anoni.

And The Bloody Complexity, which is Anoni being thrown into the mountain

And now the summer is coming to a warm and rainy end.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 14, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Please tell me where you got that font.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Eric the Mauve posted:

Please tell me where you got that font.

Its the weird outcome of installing phobeus on 45.05, then installing TWBT, then setting a fixed width, then zooming in two clicks on startup. So I think technically its Phoebus_16x16_text.png. (it may be Jecobus_10x16.png that TWBT comes with for all I know.) Then in post processing I select the text and boost the gamma contrast and saturation a little bit. Which I'm now realizing I didn't do for the combat text this time...

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
Those are some fine statues.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Glad to see my dwarf on the multiple gods train.

Also holy poo poo, bunch of dudes just got owned by a loving arm.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, I knew being the doctor would get me lots of screen time. Until I get strangled to death by an arm I just amputated anyway :v:

I hope this hospital you've built me has a built in incinerator? Zombification gives a whole new meaning to biohazard waste.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If one severed arm was capable of that, I can't imagine what the full zombie would have done.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Dwarf me as someone useful

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm beginning to think there's something not quite right about this place, fellows

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

His wife werewhale, a performer.

You forgot to add a picture there when you were introducing the immigrants. I must know what I'm like!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

sebmojo posted:

I'm beginning to think there's something not quite right about this place, fellows

Yeah. A year and a half and no horrifying magma or construction related accident? That just ain't right for a dwarven fortress.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Brexit gave birth to IPA Regulations. Heh heh.

Edit: A loving arm :stare:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 14, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy poo poo that arm hosed me up :stare:

Mad props to that caravan guard, though, taking this thing down :black101:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Never miss bicep day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

Yes, I knew being the doctor would get me lots of screen time. Until I get strangled to death by an arm I just amputated anyway :v:

I hope this hospital you've built me has a built in incinerator? Zombification gives a whole new meaning to biohazard waste.

This hospital is going to need quarantines and an incinerator chamber.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Also you should put a well conveniently located right at the entrance so dwarves can wash themselves and reduce the risk of diseases.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gnoman posted:

If one severed arm was capable of that, I can't imagine what the full zombie would have done.

I'm sure we'll have a chance to find out.

McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wow, that arm really just destroyed me

The undead arm bruises every inch of him and wrenches joints loose as he cries out in intense pain before collapsing unconscious. Arban and theshim attempt to save him, but are themselves extensively harmed before Jamsque and Balon finally crush the arm with their hammers.

Big fan of the, I'm dying but it's fine, response.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love that the zombie arm is more terrifying than the creature it came from. Absolutely amazing.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Pharnakes posted:

Why incinerate it when we can study it, try to harness it? Imagine what we could do with an army of the undead at our control! What could possibly go wrong??

Also dang, McGibby's a badass. "I was attacked by the dead. I am not upset by this."

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Hey wait a minute, wasn't some kind of turtle demon part related to Geshud? Something about integrating a demon-turtle into the world so that there will always be murder?

Addamere posted:

He is an ardent worshiper of Geshud, a deity that occurs in the myths of The Banded Diamonds. Geshud is most often depicted as a male dwarf and is associated with murder, death, war, and fortresses.

Yeah, here we go. So we're a bunch of monster-worshipping Vesh cultists and doomsaying Geshud cultists, settled around an evil volcano. Evil tortoises feature prominently in Geshud's mythology. We make a few sacrifices to the volcano, and shortly afterwards a weretortoise shows up. Clearly, we can interpret this as a sign of Geshud's blessing.

PRAISE THE MURDERGOD :black101:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Werewhale posted:

You forgot to add a picture there when you were introducing the immigrants. I must know what I'm like!

Fixed that, turns out you're a he and Dr. Tough is a she, got the pronouns swapped.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why do you keep spelling weretortoise Waretortoise? :confused:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Never miss bicep day.

I can think of 3 dwarfs who probably would have preferred to skip the day with the bicep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why do you keep spelling weretortoise Waretortoise? :confused:

That thing is a monster sent by Geshud himself.

So you had best beware!