Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Zone of the Enders: Dolores, I wasn't anything amazing but it was amusing enough and the main robot had an AI that thought it was a human girl.

The protagonist is also in his late 40s, which is rare for mecha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's basically a dad anime only the daughter is a giant robot. And there's a human daughter too iirc.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

So, y’all got any particular favourite giant robot fight scenes?

Big O vs Big Duo, it feels like a pro wrestling match with all the beef flying around

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I loving love the shin getter vs getter dragon fight in getter robo Armageddon because it's rare to see a getter fight in which they all change forms so much, they getter team does a clever little trick to get the upper hand and it has STONAAAAA SUNSHINNEEEEEE.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Heavyarms vs. Tallgeese (episode 16). It's the first time the show has a proper fight and not just Gundams styling on grunts.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Marx Headroom posted:

Big O vs Big Duo, it feels like a pro wrestling match with all the beef flying around

This is definitely one of them and the "rematch" is just as great:
https://youtu.be/D0QhT24AtRA

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I miss Majestic Prince. It was a nice, warm blanket of a show. Didn't do much... but it had pretty fights and was fun to come back to.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

The episode of G Gundam with Master Asia and Domon's last battle I think is one of the best episodes of an anime of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-dPupSnaF0

Also, I think this ends up being too one-sided to count as a "fight" per se, but my favorite "the Bad Robot gets immediately devastated by the Good Robot's secret attack" will always be DANGAN X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKjKrP8n-o

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the first person zaku scene from gundam thunderbolt is definitely one of my favorites

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching Aura Battler Dunbine and there are just too many fight scenes in this show. In the 26 episodes I've watched so far, I'm not sure there's been an entire 15 minutes worth of screentime that's gone by without somebody trying to kill somebody else in an extended sequence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That is kind of a recurring problem for Tomino, isn’t it?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The solution is Garzey's Wing or Turn A Gundam, depending on what you think the problem is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not as into Turn A as others here are, though it does have a way better balance about character drama, politicking, and action than Dunbine does.

Darth Walrus posted:

That is kind of a recurring problem for Tomino, isn’t it?
It is, but it feels at its worst here to me so far. I think part of the problem is that there's just not been a lot of variety in the battles themselves compared to something like G-Reco or even 0079 where new robots would be popping in with some weird gimmicks to spice things up every couple of episodes. The Aura Battlers all feel very samey.

The insect theme behind them too is very odd for a medieval themed series.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 16, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

The solution is Garzey's Wing

Please don't troll the mecha thread.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Actually I am going to watch Garzey's Wing anyways since I'm doing all of these Byston Well shows in one long run.

Yes, I am aware of the bad reputation of Garzey's Wing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Actually I am going to watch Garzey's Wing anyways since I'm doing all of these Byston Well shows in one long run.

Watching it being mst3k'd swiftly devolved into increasingly confounded "what!?"s for a reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raxivace posted:

Watch it dubbed, for the best possible time

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Was looking up s'more Takayuki Yanase design work and found this and I love it:

Truly the Master of Bevels.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Watch it dubbed, for the best possible time

If you have to do it, this is the only way to do it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Midjack posted:

If you have to do it, this is the only way to do it.

the gaga juju tree

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Mister Olympus posted:

the gaga juju tree

MY SWORD IS UNBELIEVABLY DULL!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are four mecha shows in the Spring Season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well there's Gundam Build Divers, Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory...what are the other two?

EDIT: Thanks Strix.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
Juushinki Pandora
Uchuu Senkan Tiramisù
Gundam Build Divers

A sequel, a spin-off/sequel, a new thing, and another new thing.

I'm tentatively excited!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tiramisu and pandora don't seem worth getting excited about, but i suppose mech beggars might not be choosers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

tiramisu and pandora don't seem worth getting excited about, but i suppose mech beggars might not be choosers

"The new series is set in a near-future world where the boundary between human being and AI is vague. A rapid biological evolution, similar to "Cambrian Explosion," is caused by one incident. This incident turns into the genesis of a new jostle for supremacy, and the influence of the evolution goes beyond biological framework and spreads to various kinds of materials and technologies. The era of massive evolution involving diverse existences, such as human, machines, and biotechnologies, is coming. Characters fight an existential war in such a world."

This is exactly the level of insanity I like in my mech shows, okay, I am ready for Pandora to be good/interesting

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm basing my read on pandora off of the awful PVs rather than the premise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'm basing my read on pandora off of the awful PVs rather than the premise.

Huh. I only skimmed the PV, but aside from a boob bounce :sigh: it didn't seem too awful. But I mean, it's not like I'm staying up nights pining for this show, so hey. If it's good I'll enjoy it, if it's bad I'll give it a few eps and get back to Tekkaman.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pandora has Nobunaga the Fool’s director and Macross Delta’s writer. That’s a powerfully underwhelming combo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Pandora has Nobunaga the Fool’s director and Macross Delta’s writer. That’s a powerfully underwhelming combo.

Holy poo poo, that's like a black hole void of failed potential.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kanos posted:

Holy poo poo, that's like a black hole void of failed potential.

Is Pandora the one with the pvs that are night fight scenes with the black cgi mecha

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Is Pandora the one with the pvs that are night fight scenes with the black cgi mecha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAuFJkhVvQ

Yep!

I hope you're all wrong and it's actually good :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
Juushinki Pandora
Uchuu Senkan Tiramisù
Gundam Build Divers

A sequel, a spin-off/sequel, a new thing, and another new thing.

I'm tentatively excited!

We're also getting a back half for Darling in the Franxx, which will, making assumptions based on Trigger and Gainax precedent, be where the main plot kicks in and things start to go crazy.

Show's good so far, I think, but the mech action really isn't a focus. Like, I think the fight last episode was done before the OP, with most of the episode focused on Zorome finding out more about his dystopian society.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Been a while since I've watched much anime let alone mecha shows, but I felt you folks might enjoy this breakdown on mecha by a fella I recently started following. He just put it out today, and it's a pretty great, thorough, and gorgeously edited rundown on the entire history of the mecha genre. He's also really enthusiastic about it, or at least really good at voiceovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OHVrQ5tcw&hd=1

Been a rise of anime breakdown guys recently, him and Super Eyepatch Wolf have been two guys I've really enjoyed the videos of, and ProZD occasionally does decently well-made anime/manga-focused videos.

not related to mecha, but I think the best way to get into Super Eyepatch Wolf, if you want to give it a go, is funny enough not mecha, it's his breakdown of The Simpsons. The introduction itself is incredibly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&hd=1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Been a while since I've watched much anime let alone mecha shows, but I felt you folks might enjoy this breakdown on mecha by a fella I recently started following. He just put it out today, and it's a pretty great, thorough, and gorgeously edited rundown on the entire history of the mecha genre. He's also really enthusiastic about it, or at least really good at voiceovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OHVrQ5tcw&hd=1

Been a rise of anime breakdown guys recently, him and Super Eyepatch Wolf have been two guys I've really enjoyed the videos of, and ProZD occasionally does decently well-made anime/manga-focused videos.

not related to mecha, but I think the best way to get into Super Eyepatch Wolf, if you want to give it a go, is funny enough not mecha, it's his breakdown of The Simpsons. The introduction itself is incredibly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKLKDkWyqg&t=530s

could you not link insane lesbophobes who make my skin crawl. thank you.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Pretty interested in a mech show being named after cake ngl

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKLKDkWyqg&t=530s

could you not link insane lesbophobes who make my skin crawl. thank you.
Did you have that on-hand? Anyways apologies, I only just found him and watched a few videos of his, he seemed alright. Guess not.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Did you have that on-hand? Anyways apologies, I only just found him and watched a few videos of his, he seemed alright. Guess not.

I readily admit that other videos may provide context that makes the whole thing look a lot worse, but on its own that video just seemed like a dumb joke about how common it is in anime to imply that girls are into each other, but leave "plausible deniability", in this case shown by not having them kiss.

Tacky, sure. Stupid? Not going to argue the point. Hateful... eh, maybe, but it doesn't feel like it was intended that way on its own.

But, you know. Operating from limited context. I could well be wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Based on the immediate reaction and since Endorph is a generally cool person I figured they had prior experience with the guy's stuff. On its own it seems like a tacky gag about exactly what you mentioned but I guess I assumed Endorph knew more about them since they seem pretty big and I'm largely unfamiliar with their works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAuFJkhVvQ

Yep!

I hope you're all wrong and it's actually good :v:
what are you doing in there vector (1:28)! you don't belong in this show!!!