Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

hello thread title

I second this motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Hulk Krogan posted:

hello thread title

agreed, we need a change it's been too long

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

WOLF THROWER (Similar to Dorm)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone into Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, the power violence version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMpeueUe4F8

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yes

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

kumba posted:

agreed, we need a change it's been too long

i say yes

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Guillermo Calero the extremely loving good drummer of Wormed passed away. 27 years old. drat.

gently caress. The drums on Krighsu were amazing. RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_RDRGYV1I

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
If anyone is looking for some new melodic/symphonic power/prog metal ala Symphony X the new Borealis album is out on March 23rd and this is the first single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlqxJaEzhM

This dude has some loving pipes ( very Russell Allen ) and the riffs are super catchy. The chorus is a bit poppy maybe but the song gets very proggy in chunks around the solo which is fairly par for the course for these guys.

The highlight is this guys vocals though, gently caress, I'm singing along here in very poor initiation and wish I could sing like this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

TollTheHounds posted:

If anyone is looking for some new melodic/symphonic power/prog metal ala Symphony X the new Borealis album is out on March 23rd and this is the first single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlqxJaEzhM

This dude has some loving pipes ( very Russell Allen ) and the riffs are super catchy. The chorus is a bit poppy maybe but the song gets very proggy in chunks around the solo which is fairly par for the course for these guys.

The highlight is this guys vocals though, gently caress, I'm singing along here in very poor initiation and wish I could sing like this.

I don't know who mixed this, but the constant THUDATHUDATHUDATHUDATHUDATHUDATHUDATHUDATHUDATHUDA sixteenth notes on the double bass ruins an otherwise decent song.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hulk Krogan posted:

hello thread title

I'm pretty sure that was the thread title several years ago, unless :thejoke:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Yeah I miss Opeth shirt and Absu wrist band or whatever the gently caress it was.

Also Hatred for Mankind was one of my albums of the year when it came out.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 14, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the thread title several years ago, unless :thejoke:

it was lol

EDIT: this thread is almost 7 years old

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 14, 2018

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwvZAgpkM20

New Skinless song from their upcoming album (May 11th).

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

DEAR RICHARD posted:

can we start respecting nu metal itt?

thanks

Korn's first album is a masterpiece and I'll strongly disagree with anyone who disagrees

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
this is a good song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSlXFoIAa88

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Double Bill posted:

Korn's first album is a masterpiece and I'll strongly disagree with anyone who disagrees

this is true because it's similar to bolt thrower

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

this entire soundtrack was awesome

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

This may be the hottest take I'll come up with all year, but Nu Metal was better than the Post Grunge and Metalcore that took it's place (I remember Killswitch Engage doing a photoshoot with them standing around a grave marked "Nu Metal"), just because it actually produced a few really good pop albums and a handful of actually fun, if dumb, songs. Obviously at least 95% of it was still really terrible.

That opinion could also be entirely down to my age though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
eh, when i talk about metalcore i talk about like, burnt by the sun, coalesce, botch, deadguy or integrity. i dunno what to call that killswitch engage poo poo, isn't it just mallcore? that post grunge poo poo was terrible, but thankly it seemed to pass europe pretty much. i mean we did see puddle of mudd on MTV, but it was never popular here, just a curiosity.

that said, i was into the first korn & limp bizkit albums when they came out mostly because i was also into sepultura's roots that sounded kinda similar. it passed pretty fast, i think the third nu metal album i bought was the first slipknot and by the time iowa had come out, i was knee deep in noise rock, sludge metal, grindcore and death metal and that was the end of my nu metal phase.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Howard Jones Killswitch Engage owns sorry losers

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If I search metalcore, google suggests KSE, Bring Me the Horizon and August Burns Red but I don't know if google is a good source. It's not really a genre I know much about so just read mallcore for metalcore if that makes me post better.

e: lol, scrolling down slightly, the other two suggestions are As I Lay Dying and Metallica.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i think that stuff is like, göteborg style melodeath with even more melody while the stuff i'm walking about (which precedes killswitch & co) was also called metalcore and combined hardcore punk with slayer & a lot of dissonance.

to clarify i guess they could be called relapse metal & mallcore instead of metalcore, hah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

eh, when i talk about metalcore i talk about like, burnt by the sun, coalesce, botch, deadguy or integrity. i dunno what to call that killswitch engage poo poo, isn't it just mallcore? that post grunge poo poo was terrible, but thankly it seemed to pass europe pretty much. i mean we did see puddle of mudd on MTV, but it was never popular here, just a curiosity.

Genres can be broad. Melodic At the Gates ripoff metalcore and 90s stuff that really emphasizes the hardcore part are both under the same umbrella. It's not like mallcore is a real classification.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Genres can be broad. Melodic At the Gates ripoff metalcore and 90s stuff that really emphasizes the hardcore part are both under the same umbrella. It's not like mallcore is a real classification.

sure, i just never really followed that branch of metalcore. it's just curious how meaningless the term has become while still staying in use when the trend seems to be towards microgenres instead of broad umbrellas like that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

that's what i think of when i think of metalcore, but i was also a teenager when all of those bands were hitting their stride. converge and integrity are the only bands from that era still making new music, anyway.

coincidentally i stopped listening to metalcore for the most part right around that point when bands like KSE and Lamb of God started getting big

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I remember kind of liking KSE's Alive or Just Breathing when I first heard it, then listening to At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul for the first time a week or so later by pure coincidence and being amazed at how much KSE had ripped off their riffs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

sure, i just never really followed that branch of metalcore. it's just curious how meaningless the term has become while still staying in use when the trend seems to be towards microgenres instead of broad umbrellas like that.

If you think that's bad you should see what happened to post-hardcore

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you think that's bad you should see what happened to post-hardcore

hah, i don't even want to know how it's used now. i love poo poo like quicksand or lungfish or drive like jehu. same with emo, rites of spring and sunny day real estate were really good bands but then at some point emo turned into mallcore.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Hardcore in general seems to have a problem keeping it's genres on track, Emotional Hardcore going from Jawbreaker to Taking Back Sunday to "anything vaguely whiny that scene kids listen to" being another example.

efb

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 14, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
imo it's pretty safe to think that if a band describes their music as (prefix) hardcore, they're not probably not hardcore.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

hah, i don't even want to know how it's used now. i love poo poo like quicksand or lungfish or drive like jehu. same with emo, rites of spring and sunny day real estate were really good bands but then at some point emo turned into mallcore.

You can at least draw a straight line from SDRE to mall emo. But Fugazi to like...Pierce the Veil(?) is labyrinthine.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I was listening to Clutch at work once and a coworker said "Oh you like Screamo?"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Please don't make me start posting Crabcore.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i was listening to melvins and my co-worker said that he really hates 90s metallica :D

Vargatron posted:

Please don't make me start posting Crabcore.

i actually don't hate crabcore, i think it's loving hilarious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

I was listening to Clutch at work once and a coworker said "Oh you like Screamo?"

That's harsh, you scream on one track and are branded for life?

Shoulda skipped to the willie nelson smokes killer weed song when they asked that.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErhgZhhXPvA

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm the SUICIDAL flat bill trucker hat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Double Bill posted:

It's really good OP

Still a great burst of emotion and anger.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Varg posted:

well Jed doesn't do prog so this should probably be good. I'm guessing it might be more on the thrashy side?

So what does he sound like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kviui27X7RU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

You guys see what happens when you talk about metalcore in here?