Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Lol have fun not accessing any files from a hard drive you're trying to get data from without editing the registry

gj finding an idiot hack to prove their point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lol have fun not accessing any files from a hard drive you're trying to get data from without editing the registry

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

lol wut

just put your computer back in the box and mail it back to dell, because you have no loving idea what you are doing

e: unless this is a joke; this is a joke, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~*bitches about how his apps don't work any more and windows updates keep failing because the folder permissions are completely broken*~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pps: if for some reason you need to take ownership of a folder you can do it through the folder properties security tab

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

you never go full idiot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

posting on a nice page that windows is bad

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

pps: if for some reason you need to take ownership of a folder you can do it through the folder properties security tab

you don't even need to take ownership, just add yourself to the list of users that can access it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Celexi posted:

you don't even need to take ownership, just add yourself to the list of users that can access it

in some cases you can't do that without overriding the ownership. the most common being system folders you shouldn't be trying to change permissions on in the first place, but there are some legitimate cases where you might need to do that to access user data from an account that's no longer accessible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Celexi posted:

you never go full idiot

no, i think the op spends a lot of time going full idiot

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

in some cases you can't do that without overriding the ownership. the most common being system folders you shouldn't be trying to change permissions on in the first place, but there are some legitimate cases where you might need to do that to access user data from an account that's no longer accessible

this. thank you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

... right, and the correct way to do that is to use the security properties tab, or the command line

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to be clearer, all your reg hack is doing is putting the nuke it all icacls command in an easy-to-mis-click context menu. there are a lot of reasons why you don't want to use that anywhere other than intended, and there's no "undo" if you gently caress it up, so putting a couple chest high walls between you and it is probably best

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what the gently caress are you doing regularly that requires this intervention? like once after a reformat or something maybe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, i guess if ur cjing or work in a computer store where you need to grab customer data from something that doesn't boot and put it somewhere else

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i always just used an ubuntu boot cd to do that, since it gives zero fucks about ntfs permissions and will just copy everything without having to do a pass resetting permissions

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the only other common case that comes to mind is a windows AD network where you need to take ownership of user profile data/private folders for whatever reason

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the only other common case that comes to mind is a windows AD network where you need to take ownership of user profile data/private folders for whatever reason

at which point you find the person who created your ous and yell at him for not putting your desired object in a place where a group you belong to can get at it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

what the gently caress are you doing regularly that requires this intervention? like once after a reformat or something maybe

I've only had to do it maybe 6 times in my entire life but it's usually because a friend needs help getting poo poo off of a broken laptop or I wanna dump the data off of one of my old drives and it won't let me because I'm a different user account

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

then why the gently caress do you need an idiotic reg hack to put it on a context menu?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

at which point you find the person who created your ous and yell at him for not putting your desired object in a place where a group you belong to can get at it

user profiles give the user owner exclusive rights to the folder by default, changing this breaks things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah, god it's simple, if you get an NTFS-formatted external drive and plug it into your Windows computer you just need to go into the properties and reset the permissions

no, not that setting, that won't work. the other one

no you have to go into advanced settings

no the other advanced settings

yeah you have to reset it to your SID. you do remember what your SID is right? idiot

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

user profiles give the user owner exclusive rights to the folder by default, changing this breaks things

i didn't configure the system and i'd probably gently caress it up if i tried, but i definitely have access to anything any user in my ou has created because all of those objects belong to the "cool people have 777 here" bucket

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah, god it's simple, if you get an NTFS-formatted external drive and plug it into your Windows computer you just need to go into the properties and reset the permissions

yeah you have to reset it to your SID. you do remember what your SID is right? idiot

lmao exactly

RIGHT CLICK -> TAKE OWNERSHIP

so difficult

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, it's real loving simple, if you don't know what this stuff is you have no reason to be touching it, and it will never come up in your day to day life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao exactly

RIGHT CLICK -> TAKE OWNERSHIP

so difficult

whoops, i just broke permissions on the entire users directory and now my profile errors out every time i log in, oh well. really need this command on my right-click menu for the six times i've ever used it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

i didn't configure the system and i'd probably gently caress it up if i tried, but i definitely have access to anything any user in my ou has created because all of those objects belong to the "cool people have 777 here" bucket

like, you can browse their desktop and documents folders?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I really don't know what you all are talking about last I plugged a ntfs drive was my desktop one which had windows, on my windows laptop.

and it just worked?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it generally does except in very specific edge cases no normal human being should ever see

which is why loving with the registry to make a "nuke it all, recursively" button is dumb as poo poo and something only an idiot would do

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
if you want me to be perfectly honest here i really don't give a drat

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

like, you can browse their desktop and documents folders?

yup

\\computername\c$\
\\servername\fileandprint\usergroup\james$\

dear jim,

this drive is not the place to archive your bee gees 45s, and your internet history sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, i'm talking about in cases like folder redirection where the profile is stored on a network path.

as long as your ad group is a member of local admins you can browse anything on remote machines, but on network folders the user profile is owned and exclusively accessible by the user owner by default

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

oh yeah those are loving annoying and woe betide anyone who changes the permissions on them, good god

they create extra fun when some moron copies a link to such a folder to a networked drive, then someone else clicks it, reaches their own my docs directory and pops a monocle because it looks like someone dumped a copy of their own docs directory on a shared drive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

relative paths make baby jesus cry

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

windows

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like how UAC on a server locks you out of directories that you would normally have access to on a server through the Administrators group unless you browse the file system from a remote machine because it is impossible to launch an Explorer window with elevated permissions. Instead, Explorer asks if you want to gently caress up file permissions by making GBS threads a new ACL with your username in it all over the existing files.

But wait!

Just start notepad.exe as administrator, go to file->open and browse the entire file system through the convenient dialog box, you have access to everything then!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

I like how UAC on a server locks you out of directories that you would normally have access to on a server through the Administrators group unless you browse the file system from a remote machine because it is impossible to launch an Explorer window with elevated permissions. Instead, Explorer asks if you want to gently caress up file permissions by making GBS threads a new ACL with your username in it all over the existing files.

But wait!

Just start notepad.exe as administrator, go to file->open and browse the entire file system through the convenient dialog box, you have access to everything then!

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows is real fuckin bad at anything involving explorer and tasks that involve elevated permissions tokens. and god help you if you're trying to do it between systems

the official solution is...

wait for it..

.. use powershell

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

windows is real fuckin bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

then why the gently caress do you need an idiotic reg hack to put it on a context menu?

the essence of problem solving is transforming a problem you don't understand (windows permissions menus) into one you do understand (terrible registry hacks from 1999)