Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Viridiant posted:

I really like the Phantom Troupe. It's not in many works of fiction that an underling in a group of criminals can admit a weakness to their boss and get taken under the boss's wing rather than humiliated or retaliated against in some way.

Phantom Troupe versus Chimera Ants was the apex of HxH in my opinion. I mean besides the end of the arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Probably Magic posted:

Phantom Troupe versus Chimera Ants was the apex of HxH in my opinion. I mean besides the end of the arc.

Feitan vs Zazan was such a cool fight. I really hope he survives the voyage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dazoner posted:

Feitan vs Zazan was such a cool fight. I really hope he survives the voyage.

Given that Feitan is the evilest of the Spiders I doubt it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Feitan's way too op hes gotta go

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given that Feitan is the evilest of the Spiders I doubt it.

Yeah, I pretty much have him pegged as the first to die. 😑😢

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dazoner posted:

Yeah, I pretty much have him pegged as the first to die. 😑😢

Doubt he will die first. But I expect him to eventually go.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Hisoka is a good counter, esp if he knows feitan is a counter type. He can just tie him up with nen and snap his neck

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm re-reading some old chapters again and I have to ask because this current arc is confusing as gently caress: do the King and/or Princes know about the Fake New Continent that most of the people inside the boat are actually going to stay? The only people that are actually going to the Dark Continent is Beyond's Squad and the Zodiacs's crew right?

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

frajaq posted:

I'm re-reading some old chapters again and I have to ask because this current arc is confusing as gently caress: do the King and/or Princes know about the Fake New Continent that most of the people inside the boat are actually going to stay? The only people that are actually going to the Dark Continent is Beyond's Squad and the Zodiacs's crew right?

I think the King is using the fake new World as a land grab/ way to expand the Kakin Empire. So he at least knows. I am not sure if the princes know.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure at least the older Princes know, since it's a high level political move being made by the country they expect to rule. It'd be odd for them to be kept out of the loop, imo. They don't care though since it has nothing to do with their plans: they're just there for PR and the Succession Battle, and don't care about exploring the Dark Continent.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Until Illumi stated Hisoka had taken a contract out on himself I assumed he'd infiltrated the Spiders like that "hello it's me ur brother" screenshot

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There's still nothing saying that it isn't hisoka

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't think of that I had just meant why were they trusting Illumi when he'd helped Hisoka before.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

EmmyOk posted:

I didn't think of that I had just meant why were they trusting Illumi when he'd helped Hisoka before.

Chrillo hired him during the Yorknew auctions to take out the dons who hired Zeno and Silva to kill the troupe so it's not like he's a total stranger to them. Plus, professional standards (maybe) for his job.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Did they ever find out that was Illumi who helped Hisoka out?

Though I guess Chrollo is smart enough to put it together either way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that was just a prank though so its no biggie

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they probably don't care, since he was hired to do the job and he did not harm any spiders.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
illumi is probably still one of hisoka's assets. would make sense to make people think he's deranged and not thinking straight too.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
What I'd actually like to see is a real interaction between Kalluto and Illumi.

A frank discussion, perhaps, of Kalluto's motives in joining the spiders, their respective relationships with Killua and with each other and with the rest of the family, Kalluto's opinions on Hisoka and Illumi's relationship with the downed clown, etc.

I'd be fine with that taking up, like, an entire chapter, minimum. This is a chance for at least one of the two to have some real character development, and it seems a shame to waste it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Since Kalluto and Illumi are part of the Spiders, are they vulnerable to Kurapika's nen?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes? Why wouldn't they be? I mean, even if they only plan to use the group for their own ends, they did officially join it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I saw on twitter that the fan translation just decided to bang in "Hisoka gave me an engagement ring" along side the word "prenup". Normal to do.

e: Okay the kanji are there but contextually it's very clearly about a murder contract. HxH is what convinced me to read the legal translations after the abominable translations of the first DC chapters.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 13, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i feel that the fan translation was an improvement, then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I saw on twitter that the fan translation just decided to bang in "Hisoka gave me an engagement ring" along side the word "prenup". Normal to do.

e: Okay the kanji are there but contextually it's very clearly about a murder contract. HxH is what convinced me to read the legal translations after the abominable translations of the first DC chapters.

I took the translation as clear that it was a euphemism for the murder contract.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i feel that the fan translation was an improvement, then.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Since Kalluto and Illumi are part of the Spiders, are they vulnerable to Kurapika's nen?

Does Kurapika know or consider them part is more important imo with how Nen very much seems to work off the users own perception of things. a

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

He literally says "engagemento ringu" in the Japanese.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

TurkeyFried posted:

We haven't seen Tonpa in a while...

Who do you think will eventually take down Gyro, Gon? :smug:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

That's why furigana is fun. Something can be spelled a certain way, but carry another meaning.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Does Kurapika know or consider them part is more important imo with how Nen very much seems to work off the users own perception of things. a

I've expected since I was first watching the anime that Kurapika will one day get in trouble because he used his chain on someone who he thought was a Spider, and then turned out not to be

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I mean with how it seems to entirely work off your own mindset he'd probably be entirely fine if he never found out they weren't a member. Unless Nen js actually some omnipotent force that knows and does all independently which doesn't seem to be the case.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

I mean with how it seems to entirely work off your own mindset he'd probably be entirely fine if he never found out they weren't a member. Unless Nen js actually some omnipotent force that knows and does all independently which doesn't seem to be the case.

wasn't the deal that he couldn't use his chain on a non-Spider on penalty of death? or would it just not work? I could be misremembering

I assumed it's like a curse he places on himself as a condition of using it and it'd activate if he found out he used it on a non-Spider

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he can use some of his chains on spiders only. others he can use freely.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he can use some of his chains on spiders only. others he can use freely.

oh, sorry, I'm talking specifically about the one that loving murders them

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I wonder how useful Shizuku would be in a tag team fight against Hisoka. Could Blinky inhale Bungee Gum?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cgfreak posted:

I wonder how useful Shizuku would be in a tag team fight against Hisoka. Could Blinky inhale Bungee Gum?

Doubtful. Shizuku said her powers would be ineffective against Hisoka.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i cant wait for kurapika to optimally solve the succession crisis and then go downstairs and kill every spider then hisoka drinks himself to death

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shizuku can suck blood from any open wounds but hisoka can easily seal his wounds at any time. it's really not a good match up for her.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone lacking an actual combat utility that can't easily br stopped is at a major disadvantage, especially with Hisoka probably having info on most of their abilties minus Chrollo from his book or a Feitan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

cgfreak posted:

No, her vacuum specifically can't suck in aura which she uses as a way to detect trapped objects.