Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sadus
Apr 5, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

pretty sure we have one resident schannel pro, i shamefully cannot remember but they posted nice cipher suite lists plus recommended ECC curve combos, was very handy

https://www.nartac.com/Products/IISCrypto/ is a nice GUI for some of that, with presets and template support
but these auditors aren't complaining about any of that, but talking about specific TLS extensions like session ticket and extended master secret. let me recompile my openssl real quick for you, oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://amdflaws.com/

quote:

What happened?

13 Critical Security Vulnerabilities and Manufacturer Backdoors discovered throughout AMD Ryzen & EPYC product lines.

lol this is gonna be a fun ride. also, lol here we go again with lovely marketing websites for bugs.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cheese-cube posted:

pretty sure we have one resident schannel pro, i shamefully cannot remember but they posted nice cipher suite lists plus recommended ECC curve combos, was very handy

Hi. That is me. No, I do not believe you can do stuff like that change session ticket behavior, DH primes, etc. That stuff pretty much is the way it is, and if there is something new then you need to upgrade to the latest OS version to get it. If they're being that picky then tell them to eat poo poo or if its actually a problem (it isn't, schannel is fine through 2008r2 is getting long in the tooth) then throw it behind an F5 so you can tweak to your hearts content.

e: May have spoken too soon, this might do it

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\MaximumCacheSize to 0
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\ServerCacheTime to 0

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 13, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2018-1057.html

quote:

code:
== Subject:     Authenticated users can change other users' password
==
== CVE ID#:     CVE-2018-1057
==
== Versions:    All versions of Samba from 4.0.0 onwards.
==
== Summary:     On a Samba 4 AD DC any authenticated user can change
==              other users' passwords over LDAP, including the
==              passwords of administrative users and service
==		accounts.
:allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy loving poo poo!

..people actually use samba as an AD DC?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ty bangers and sorry for forgetting you!!!

infernal machines posted:

holy loving poo poo!

..people actually use samba as an AD DC?

no (well maybe but how?) but samba operates it's own LDAP server to interface with an AD DC and this is where the issue occurs (correct me if i'm wrong).

from what i understand the issue is that in AD "change password" and "reset password" privileges are secured differently for obvious reasons however the samba LDAP server conflates the two and fucks up the extended right security checks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

ty bangers and sorry for forgetting you!!!

no (well maybe but how?) but samba operates it's own LDAP server to interface with an AD DC and this is where the issue occurs (correct me if i'm wrong).

from what i understand the issue is that in AD "change password" and "reset password" privileges are secured differently for obvious reasons however the samba LDAP server conflates the two and fucks up the extended right security checks.

samba can act as a full DC now

yeah i was surprised too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it does, i've seen it implemented (terribly), it was a joke because it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to do that

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I presume you can hang an entire Windows shop off a tiny appliance like Synology as the AD DC, typically a better option than trying to use a cheap desktop PC.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd never trust anything other than a windows server DC to provide domain services, simply because everything else out there seems to fail in spectacular ways at things which are very simple. for example, the AD schema clearly outlines object and attribute associations as well as the typing of the values for attributes. attributes which accept integers are either typed as "Integer" (int32) or "LongInteger" (int64). CA (the company) provides an entire suite of software which integrates with AD as an IAM solution. however in their infinite wisdom they've ignored the schema and just decided on arbitrary types for attribute values. this really fucks poo poo up when you want to say set an exchange recipient type value which is an int64 but the CA garbage only accepts int32 for some idiotic reason.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

I presume you can hang an entire Windows shop off a tiny appliance like Synology as the AD DC, typically a better option than trying to use a cheap desktop PC.

unless its running windows then no you don't want to do that. Also you can run your windows domain off azure ad these days.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
samba is probably appropriate for running a domain for Linux clients where you cant afford windows at all.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah if your linux doesn't do SSSD then whatever samba can do would be an acceptable fall back seeing as NIS is deprecated

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

unless its running windows then no you don't want to do that. Also you can run your windows domain off azure ad these days.

can you run azure side by side with on prem AD? seems like a lot of SSO stuff only works with azure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

can you run azure side by side with on prem AD? seems like a lot of SSO stuff only works with azure

yes, AD sync to azure cloud actually works pretty well

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

europe is getting quite a bit of rollout of samba only ad nowadays in governments and such

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah its really great.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

europe is getting quite a bit of rollout of samba only ad nowadays in governments and such

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

yes, AD sync to azure cloud actually works pretty well

can confirm, AADC sync is smooth as gently caress. however if you want to enable password change in the cloud with federation then you'll need to pay for an AAD P1 subscription, that's how they get you (probably, idk just buy ECS which is Enterprise E3 plus EMS E3 for gently caress all)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Truga posted:

lol this is gonna be a fun ride. also, lol here we go again with lovely marketing websites for bugs.

taviso just retweeted this:
https://twitter.com/cynicalsecurity/status/973591954096381952

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

can confirm, AADC sync is smooth as gently caress. however if you want to enable password change in the cloud with federation then you'll need to pay for an AAD P1 subscription, that's how they get you (probably, idk just buy ECS which is Enterprise E3 plus EMS E3 for gently caress all)

yeah its such bullshit that password change and security auditing is in P1 and not included in E1 or E3

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

isnt their a free azure tier?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the azure ad basic tier is free

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

neat

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yeah its such bullshit that password change and security auditing is in P1 and not included in E1 or E3

i like how they put the really useful security features in E5. our sec ops lead is always asking "hey can we use this?" and my answer is usually "no we're not licensed for it lollll"

NEED MORE MILK posted:

isnt their a free azure tier?

"azure" and "azure AD" are two different beasts. afaik there's no AAD P1 or EMS E3 trial.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nice!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

i like how they put the really useful security features in E5. our sec ops lead is always asking "hey can we use this?" and my answer is usually "no we're not licensed for it lollll"

"azure" and "azure AD" are two different beasts. afaik there's no AAD P1 or EMS E3 trial.

yeah but theres an azure ad free tier and literally all i want is user sync for sso so i think that will work??

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yep that will work fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we're looking at using e3 for a client to handle 2fa for webmail and rdp. it's amazingly easy to set up if you don't have a pants on head stupid environment

e: also some intune features for mdm to sandbox corporate data on byod stuff

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

CTS-Labs, a security company based in Israel...
:byoscience:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

it really feels like extortion when they hide basic security stuff behind a higher plan level. I'm implementing some of it myself (poorly) cause I refuse to pay the absurd price to get a P1 for everyone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah but theres an azure ad free tier and literally all i want is user sync for sso so i think that will work??

yes it will work great for that. The free tier also lets you integrate with any app that uses azure ad for auth

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Truga posted:

Their site is down.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

no its not

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

just got an email about suspicious activity with one of my microsoft accounts I don't really use, went to go change the password and enable 2fa because why not. tried to set it up using their wizard thing, select android and it's like "ok install the microsoft app and log in with it" and refuses to let me proceed until i log in with it. no thanks, so i go back and select "other" as my phone type and get this:

what fantastic advice :allears:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

it really feels like extortion when they hide basic security stuff behind a higher plan level. I'm implementing some of it myself (poorly) cause I refuse to pay the absurd price to get a P1 for everyone.

it's funny our customer recently outsourced SOC (Security Operations Centre) to a BPO (lol yeah i know) and the first complaint i got from them was that the on-prem SIEM appliance wasn't getting logs from O365. the dudes at the BPO just assumed we were using the actual "SIEM integration" feature with Cloud App Security but yeah i had to tell them "lol nope, we're not licensed for that and are just smashing APIs for logs".

kind of a critique on how garbage BPOs are but also how microsoft try to make you pay for stuff. if you google "office 365 siem integration" the first results are for the E5 feature so the whole thing's a rort.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

just got an email about suspicious activity with one of my microsoft accounts I don't really use, went to go change the password and enable 2fa because why not. tried to set it up using their wizard thing, select android and it's like "ok install the microsoft app and log in with it" and refuses to let me proceed until i log in with it. no thanks, so i go back and select "other" as my phone type and get this:

what fantastic advice :allears:

you should use the Microsoft authenticator cause it does push notifications for approvals

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nice fud

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

it's funny our customer recently outsourced SOC (Security Operations Centre) to a BPO (lol yeah i know) and the first complaint i got from them was that the on-prem SIEM appliance wasn't getting logs from O365. the dudes at the BPO just assumed we were using the actual "SIEM integration" feature with Cloud App Security but yeah i had to tell them "lol nope, we're not licensed for that and are just smashing APIs for logs".

kind of a critique on how garbage BPOs are but also how microsoft try to make you pay for stuff. if you google "office 365 siem integration" the first results are for the E5 feature so the whole thing's a rort.

yeah I'm using the office365 management apis to get audit logs and stuff. its loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the new Graph API looks p sw8, been meaning to find time to gently caress with that for a while now. apparently that's where microsoft are going to push all o365+services and seccom reporting to. also looks like a faster method of querying some of the more expensive exchange cmdlets (Get-MailboxStatistics, Get-MailboxFolderStatistics, etc.)

sorry im making GBS threads up the sec gently caress thread with msft stuff i'll stop now

:getout:

• Locked thread