Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Thumposaurus posted:

They're having a 25% off sale right now through the 19th. I ordered the fabric sample pack and we have to get the keys to the new place and see what looks good in the room. There is a large brick fireplace at one end of the room that we want the couch to be harmonious with.

Sweet sale! Yeah the only thing is the foam needs to off-gas, and that will take a few weeks. It's not terribly strong after week 1, but leave a window open and it'll help. I think we'll get a loveseat from them when we need a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd love to replace our pans with le Crueset but my budget would run to about 2 pans at the moment, they have have a lovely teal selection too.

You can find them at second-hand shops for cheap sometimes thanks to everyone unloading grandma's 70's era kitchenware in the last decade.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaded burnout, that kitchen seems very reasonable. Basically a galley kitchen, but with that prep island. You were worried about your work triangle, but I would assume every day ingredient prep happens next to the stove, and the island gets used for large projects and serving.

What about all the space on the bottom? China cabinets?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Jaded burnout, that kitchen seems very reasonable. Basically a galley kitchen, but with that prep island. You were worried about your work triangle, but I would assume every day ingredient prep happens next to the stove, and the island gets used for large projects and serving.

What about all the space on the bottom? China cabinets?

Even discounting the workflow issues the island has no power for mixers and no way to get it there.

The space at the bottom is intended as a summer chill zone and project table in the corner.

I’ve been turning the issue over in my mind for a few days and I think I have a working alternative. I’ll post it later and we can see what you think.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Peanut; this is my current thinking:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’d just be concerned with having enough room behind people at the table.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’d just be concerned with having enough room behind people at the table.

Agreed, though 3ft should be enough. If not I can move the table further out.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

Peanut; this is my current thinking:

I can't help with the design but I am incredibly jealous of how you have the ability to actually designate dedicated working areas when laying your kitchen out.

Having spent some time playing with it, the Ikea kitchen planner is actually pretty drat good if you want to start mocking it up so you can easily play with the 3D model and costing all the units.

I've just made this. My biggest decision is do I swap the sink/drainer round...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Laying this kitchen out is item 7482 on the list of things I've had to lay out and design so far and still plenty to go. The problem is I've hamstrung myself by having to locate the utilities 18 months ago.

I've found that if I stare at the plans for about 20 minutes a few times a day eventually something will break.

I think the last touch to sort this one out is to swap the plate and fridge locations, with some simple structure to hide the back of the fridge from the chill zone. That should do it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This first one is my favorite, with the fridge in the corner. It looks easiest to use for all the non-banquet stuff done in kitchens, like getting a glass of milk or making coffee. Consider locations for the toaster, microwave, rice cooker in advance. Give yourself a raised ledge ("semi-open") around the washing area to prevent falls and hide dirty dishes (compare open vs semi-open layouts http://www.rdesign.co.jp/?p=8700)
I wouldn't worry about not having outlets on the prep/plating island. You can always use an extension cord. I would probably have it as a wheeley table and put trashcans underneath.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 13, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

This is my reality. They painted the fireplace grey.

:psyduck:

Facebook Aunt posted:

My heart stopped when I saw this ad. I am now dead.

Is this a thing? Is ORANGE finally making a comeback? Is this the backlash against griege?

Is this poo poo coming back?

oh no no no no no no

God I hope so. Give me warm colors goddamnit, oranges, reds, browns, yellows. Anything but greige and taupe.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 13, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

Crosspost! !

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

This first one is my favorite, with the fridge in the corner. It looks easiest to use for all the non-banquet stuff done in kitchens, like getting a glass of milk or making coffee. Consider locations for the toaster, microwave, rice cooker in advance. Give yourself a raised ledge ("semi-open") around the washing area to prevent falls and hide dirty dishes (compare open vs semi-open layouts http://www.rdesign.co.jp/?p=8700)
I wouldn't worry about not having outlets on the prep/plating island. You can always use an extension cord. I would probably have it as a wheeley table and put trashcans underneath.

The problem is I've been living with a version of this for a while now with very much normal everyday patterns and it's very annoying. Lots of circumnavigating counters and walking through nearby rooms just to get places.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

You need to start with the problem, not the solution. What's "wrong" that needs fixing?

I moved into a new place and its all bland and I really don't like it. It doesn't feel like home. I've never really put effort into it before so I don't know where to start other than saving poo poo I like from this thread

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"Here at The Brasserie, home of the tits... huh huh. And it's the charming Mary from Canoga Park Up next in her bid for the semi-finals."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

underage at the vape shop posted:

I moved into a new place and its all bland and I really don't like it. It doesn't feel like home. I've never really put effort into it before so I don't know where to start other than saving poo poo I like from this thread

Step 1: make a layout, it can be as simple as scribbled on an envelope
Step 2: show us the layout and pics of the space and tell us what you want to do (i.e. I need space for my collection of severed thumbs and creepy dolls, i bake cookies twice an hour, I need space to lock missing hitchhikers) and we'll give you advice.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Every time I try to get my wife to make some decisions regarding interior design she outs it off because we "have more important things to take care of first" (which never can be enumerated). I had the gall to caulk some baseboard gaps and fill in nail holes to prep for painting and you'd think I was the worst person ever for not using that time for ... I still don't know what. This task has been pending for months. It has to happen sometime!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Every time I try to get my wife to make some decisions regarding interior design she outs it off because we "have more important things to take care of first" (which never can be enumerated). I had the gall to caulk some baseboard gaps and fill in nail holes to prep for painting and you'd think I was the worst person ever for not using that time for ... I still don't know what. This task has been pending for months. It has to happen sometime!

Legitimately this sounds like someone with issues they should talk to a counselor or therapist about, unless you are leaving out some key details about your lives. Is one of you unemployed? Are you under significant financial strain? Does she feel alienated or distant from you and fears that you focusing on the house will keep you away?

What you described sounds nonsensical so I'm just trying to figure out what's causing it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Liquid Communism posted:

:psyduck:

God I hope so. Give me warm colors goddamnit, oranges, reds, browns, yellows. Anything but greige and taupe.

Yeah, there’s a difference between having a red coffee grinder or orange stock pot, and a full-on orange carpeted, red walled, wood paneled house with a golden wallpaper ceiling.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This seems like some larger underlying issue between you two.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe this is a good place to ask: I need a chair for my desk, but I'm being sorta picky. I want a tall narrow back, full recline so I can kick my feet up on my desk and watch a movie, but I also want a fairly minimal chair, I don't want a giant thing. Doesn't need to be very wide or whatever, I'm fairly narrow and only 5'9". Also needs to have arm rests that are adjustable in a few directions so they'll fit under my desk, which only gives 27" clearance to the ground. I mean, I know one way to get the features I want, and that's to get a typical "gaming chair," but jesus christ can I get something with those specs but without the "EXXXTREME MOUNTAIN DEW DOTA CHAMP RACING GAMER CHAIR" styling? I want one of those chairs but not designed by a dorito-fueled 13 year old.

e: Alternative "the only way out is through" comedy option:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 13, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ever think about getting an Aeron? They have reasonably simple styling (definitely not as loud as your average gamer chair) and are quite adjustable.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any with quite so much recline, and they're still pretty broad-shouldered, visually speaking. I also don't see a full height option for the backrest, but I swear I've seen them with a head rest even though I can't seem to add that option on the HM website. Not sure they're quite what I'm after, but they've been on my list of options.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any with quite so much recline (I often code with my feet on my desk), and they're still pretty broad-shouldered, visually speaking. I also don't see a full height option for the backrest, but I swear I've seen them with a head rest even though I can't seem to add that option on the HM website. Not sure they're quite what I'm after, but they've been on my list of options.

I've used Aerons for the last 8 years and while they definitely have a good recline to them, they are wide and short and I agree that I don't think they're what you're looking for.

I've never understood the point of using racing seats as chairs. Don't these people know they're designed to stop you falling out, not to be comfortable?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Step 1: make a layout, it can be as simple as scribbled on an envelope
Step 2: show us the layout and pics of the space and tell us what you want to do (i.e. I need space for my collection of severed thumbs and creepy dolls, i bake cookies twice an hour, I need space to lock missing hitchhikers) and we'll give you advice.

That sounds really good, but layout etc isn't really my problem, I'm just clueless when it comes to style.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

That sounds really good, but layout etc isn't really my problem, I'm just clueless when it comes to style.

So post photos then?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am of the opinion that if you are sitting down for any long period of time at a computer, you really should be using a good ergonomic office chair, like a Leap/Aeron or similar.

I really like the Steelcase Leap, and they make models with high backs or with headrests. The Worklounge looks like it might work for your application

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe this is a good place to ask: I need a chair for my desk, but I'm being sorta picky. I want a tall narrow back, full recline so I can kick my feet up on my desk and watch a movie, but I also want a fairly minimal chair, I don't want a giant thing. Doesn't need to be very wide or whatever, I'm fairly narrow and only 5'9". Also needs to have arm rests that are adjustable in a few directions so they'll fit under my desk, which only gives 27" clearance to the ground. I mean, I know one way to get the features I want, and that's to get a typical "gaming chair," but jesus christ can I get something with those specs but without the "EXXXTREME MOUNTAIN DEW DOTA CHAMP RACING GAMER CHAIR" styling? I want one of those chairs but not designed by a dorito-fueled 13 year old.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

we have a thread for this.

get an Embody.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet, I had no idea.

quote:

get an Embody.
Ouch my wallet

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bad Munki posted:

Sweet, I had no idea.

Ouch my wallet

how many hours a day do you spend in your chair?

how many years will your chair last?

(cost of chair) / (years) / (hours) = cost of ownership

the embody also features aeron's 15(?) year warranty when purchased new from an authorized reseller.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a $100 chair I got at Staples around 10 years ago that I still really enjoy, and has no wear. It's one of those puffy black leather ones, which is the problem (for my wife).

She wants me to find something that's less office-y looking now that we're redoing some of the furniture in my office. I have no idea what to get and I'm not spending over $150-$200.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

stealing this from another thread because HOLY poo poo

https://twitter.com/i/moments/971090466153299968

e: at least scroll down far enough to get to the word carpet with a misspelling

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That is a rich vein.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have one of the new Aerons and find the sizing to be fine. They come in three sizes anyway.

They don’t recline to horizontal but they recline far enough for watching something.

This is good too. Almost anything from HM works. Embody has a matching desk that pulls toward you as well.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 13, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Dave posted:

I have a $100 chair I got at Staples around 10 years ago that I still really enjoy, and has no wear. It's one of those puffy black leather ones, which is the problem (for my wife).

She wants me to find something that's less office-y looking now that we're redoing some of the furniture in my office. I have no idea what to get and I'm not spending over $150-$200.

Probably IKEA in that price range.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've never understood the point of using racing seats as chairs. Don't these people know they're designed to stop you falling out, not to be comfortable?

lol at this guy that doesn’t swerve around in the chair while turning the controller like a steering wheel

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

lol at this guy that doesn’t swerve around in the chair while turning the controller like a steering wheel

lol look at this scrub who doesn't have an actual steering wheel

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Dude, what forum do you think you are on? There's is an entire thread for discussing computer chairs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Consensus seems to be that gamer chairs are actually terrible, not just ugly. So don't get a gamer chair.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Dude, what forum do you think you are on? There's is an entire thread for discussing computer chairs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Consensus seems to be that gamer chairs are actually terrible, not just ugly. So don't get a gamer chair.

Yeah I really don't want one, I just want some of those specs, but in an adult chair, for adults, but also not a C-level-exec throne.

But yeah, I'm scoping out the computer chair thread now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

GEMorris posted:

unless you are leaving out some key details about your lives.
I did, in post-overnight haze of neglect regarding "who knows what about my life." We have a two-month old, and she is tenure-track faculty. She's breastfeeding, so no matter what proportion of baby-raising burden I shoulder, there will always be a second-shift effect for her. And no, no other signs of symptoms of post-partum depression, just the stressors of first-time parenting manifesting in dismissal of the need to take care of things other than Ein Scheissmonster. Obviously the kid comes first, but we can't put everything else on hold or they'll be an utter catastrophe by the time he's in school.

To be perfectly fair to her, she probably would not complain if I just made every home-owning decision without her, but I do not trust my capacity not to turn a reasonably attractive home into a horrorshow.

I do have to laugh at the jump from very logical concerns such as "is tetrapyloctomy going to bankrupt the household" (which I am not, we are well off and would be even if she decided not to work or did not get tenure) to "Does she feel alienated or distant from you and fears that you focusing on the house will keep you away?"