Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I believe that all creatures are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, so long as he pays the emperor's taxes on time and in full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I believe that all creatures are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, so long as he pays the emperor's taxes on time and in full.

Yes trees. The Taxman is the perfect Paladin of Conquest

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hollandia posted:

I'm looking to get in the next organised 5th ed night at a local bar; sort of a more relaxed adventurers league thing.
Character creation is standard array, 3rd level, core rulebooks only (including Volo's).

My girlfriend wants to take a straightforward smash everything character, and was leaning towards the paladin. Any ideas on how to get the most combat oomph out of the class while keeping things simple & fun for a second time player?

I think she'll be fine with whatever given how innately powerful the class is, but she's pretty dead set on tooling everything we encounter.

Variant Human
STR 15+1
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 13+1

Oath of Vengeance
Defense Fighting Style (+1 AC)
Human Feat goes into Polearm Master, level 4 and 8 go to +2 STR ASIs, and CHA after that.

Polearm Master gives an at-will Bonus Action attack, and a Reaction attack when enemies walk into your range. Equip a Glaive/Halberd for the Reach, and this is just about as good as it gets for Paladin by allowing full use of your actions, and a little extra interactivity by making you pay heed to positioning to maximize your offense with Reactions. Paladins also fish for crits to employ their Smites on (or just hits in general when going all out), so the more attacks the better - and then get Improved Divine Smite at 11 to make each hit even harder.

And Vengeance's Vow of Enmity is there to be a boss killer. More rolls = more hits = more chances to crit smite.

An alternative would be going Half-Elf, which start off with otherwise identical stats but +2 CHA and their racials. Since they have to spend their first ASI on PAM they're behind V. Human's raw offense until 12, but they're strictly superior once they catch up.

Using Greatswords with Great Weapon Master is also good but Polearm Master is better.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Gridlocked posted:

Something like that yeah. "Civilization is good, you will be civilised."

Name him something like "Whitemanes Burrdin"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Welp time to replay Tomb of Annihilation.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Oath of Colonization

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Hollandia posted:

I'm looking to get in the next organised 5th ed night at a local bar; sort of a more relaxed adventurers league thing.
Character creation is standard array, 3rd level, core rulebooks only (including Volo's).

My girlfriend wants to take a straightforward smash everything character, and was leaning towards the paladin. Any ideas on how to get the most combat oomph out of the class while keeping things simple & fun for a second time player?

I think she'll be fine with whatever given how innately powerful the class is, but she's pretty dead set on tooling everything we encounter.

Oath of conquest, on demand +10 to hit plus smite damage. Add in great weapon fighting and a solid 2h. Once she gets comfortable with her options she also has Fear for groups of low level enemies. Plus they get good use out of cha and str, so plenty of fun race options.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I recently started a 5e campaign as a GOO tomelock. First time I've been in a D&D campaign that didn't die within 2 sessions. I should be just about turning level 4 next session and already have a stolen spellbook wih some rituals in it for transcription.

I'm already looking elsewhere, but does anyone have any tips on spell selection or strategies? Or roleplay advise for having such an "impersonal" patron? I've figured I have an antagonistic relationship with my god, who mostly compels me to draw its sigil everywhere (it's the "90s S"). It just seems weird to be a thrall to an unfathomable Lovecraftian being, yet also a really charismatic and my party face. I guess I'm just a weirdo with a strangely magnetic personality?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is anyone using DnD Beyond for anything? I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying content there vs. just buying the physical books. The digital books are slightly cheaper, which is nice, but I don't know how the ecosystem is for them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Funzo posted:

Is anyone using DnD Beyond for anything? I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying content there vs. just buying the physical books. The digital books are slightly cheaper, which is nice, but I don't know how the ecosystem is for them.

If you're rolling vanilla characters with little home brewing the system is pretty slick.

It supports home brew, but loses quite a bit of it's luster.

Plus the mobile app lets you download searchable docs which is very handy when you are trying to find something.

It vs Paper is a matter of preference.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm already looking elsewhere, but does anyone have any tips on spell selection or strategies?

Get Agonizing Blast and Hex. This is your bread & butter as far as damage dealing goes.
Darkness and Devil's Sight make for a powerful combo. At level 7 you can replace Darkness with XGtE's Shadow of Moil.
At level 5 get Hypnotic Pattern - it's just about the best crowd control ability in the game.
Also get Counterspell.
Sculptor of Flesh (Polymorph) is the only good 'you can cast X using a spell slot once per day' invocation.

That should cover your bases, so the rest of your list can be whatever you want. If you find yourself getting hit often, improve your positioning or cast Armor of Agathys on yourself before combat.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I recently started a 5e campaign as a GOO tomelock. First time I've been in a D&D campaign that didn't die within 2 sessions. I should be just about turning level 4 next session and already have a stolen spellbook wih some rituals in it for transcription.

I'm already looking elsewhere, but does anyone have any tips on spell selection or strategies? Or roleplay advise for having such an "impersonal" patron? I've figured I have an antagonistic relationship with my god, who mostly compels me to draw its sigil everywhere (it's the "90s S"). It just seems weird to be a thrall to an unfathomable Lovecraftian being, yet also a really charismatic and my party face. I guess I'm just a weirdo with a strangely magnetic personality?

Remember that Charisma can be more than being likeable. It's more like your will and personal force. If you don't want to be a charmer, be a psychopath and flex your charisma as cynical manipulation of the weak minds around you. That can range from magnetic madmen like Charles Manson to seemingly normal, successful killers like Ted Bundy to your everyday high-functioning psychopath Fortune 500 CEO.

Up to you and your DM how you handle the patron but I tend to think Great Old One patronage isn't a bargained-for exchange like it is with a fiend and archfey as much as it is that you exist beneath your patron's notice, like gut bacteria. You draw an utterly negligible amount of its world-shattering power and doing so has an effect on you. I thought this homebrew was really good for driving that home with GOO locks in particular: https://imgur.com/a/GzF0Z. If you want tangible interaction, maybe it's less that Cthulhu talks to you and more that you have extremely hosed up dreams and your path keeps crossing with cults of your patron through what appear to be complete coincidences.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 13, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Funzo posted:

If you want searchable books and don't mind reading on a tablet screen then D&D beyond is WELL worth it. Even more so if you have a regular group that has the same ideas. We split almost every book we needed between plus a few more between my 7 person crew for like ~$20. The DM sub tier let's you share your books between everyone.

As it was noted, the homebrew support is severely lacking. Homebrew items work OK, but you can't do any homebrew class stuff. Overall though my crew only had one guy that had a different arch-type, but that only affected a few spells/abilities and he's OK with that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Not linking :filez: but if all you want is the content in an easy-to-search digital format, 5etools is much better than DnD Beyond.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah agreed - you can buy the physical books and then still share pdfs, if you want

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Hollandia posted:

Level 3 and just wants to do straight damage? You're looking at a two-weapon battlemaster fighter my friend.

They get 3 dice on a short rest and can pick out of three easy abilities to use. Only spend them when you hit too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So i think my character sheet app is bugged. If i'm wearing chainmail with 8 dex my AC would be 15, right? because the -1 is factored in until i can find heavier armor?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

doctor 7 posted:

Level 3 and just wants to do straight damage? You're looking at a two-weapon battlemaster fighter my friend.

They get 3 dice on a short rest and can pick out of three easy abilities to use. Only spend them when you hit too.
If she wants to do anything outside of combat this is a terrible idea.

Paladin is good. You've got the charisma to talk to people and a bunch of spells you can do stuff with as needed or just turn into extra dice of damage. Also, free magic horse!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ignite Memories posted:

So i think my character sheet app is bugged. If i'm wearing chainmail with 8 dex my AC would be 15, right? because the -1 is factored in until i can find heavier armor?

Chain mail has a base AC of 16 that ignores your DEX modifier. This holds true for all the other Heavy Armors (ring mail, splint, plate); only Light and Medium are affected by your DEX.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ah, wonderful. Thanks

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dex not negatively affecting heavy armor is weird, though I guess there are enough reasons not to dump dex that they don't need one more. It's odd also that your armor is so heavy that your physical dexterity doesn't contribute at all but you still can make dex saves just fine.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If you want searchable books and don't mind reading on a tablet screen then D&D beyond is WELL worth it. Even more so if you have a regular group that has the same ideas. We split almost every book we needed between plus a few more between my 7 person crew for like ~$20. The DM sub tier let's you share your books between everyone.

As it was noted, the homebrew support is severely lacking. Homebrew items work OK, but you can't do any homebrew class stuff. Overall though my crew only had one guy that had a different arch-type, but that only affected a few spells/abilities and he's OK with that.

I'm primarily going to be running AL games at a local FLGS, so it's mostly just for reference material. I've got a physical PHB already,so I think digital might be my best bet for other source books.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Dex not negatively affecting heavy armor is weird, though I guess there are enough reasons not to dump dex that they don't need one more. It's odd also that your armor is so heavy that your physical dexterity doesn't contribute at all but you still can make dex saves just fine.

You shouldn't dump DEX anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"Argh! I can hit that guy in the heavy armor with Firebolt all day but he just stands there and shrugs. Wait, I'll try Fireball!"
*effortlessly dodges out of the way*
"WHAT THE gently caress"

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
I'm seeking some advice on making combat encounters.
If i follow the advice in the DMG for making monsters and building encounters, will the combats be as difficult as I want them to be? If not, will the difficulty rather end up a bit too high or too low?
I have six players, four of which are playing full casters, in case that matters.

I read somewhere that the CRs aren't always a good indicator of how dangerous the monster is. Is this also true if we ignore monsters with abilities that bypass HP like petrification or the intellect devourer?
Also, are the monsters in volo's guide better about this?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gnapo posted:

I'm seeking some advice on making combat encounters.
If i follow the advice in the DMG for making monsters and building encounters, will the combats be as difficult as I want them to be? If not, will the difficulty rather end up a bit too high or too low?
I have six players, four of which are playing full casters, in case that matters.

I read somewhere that the CRs aren't always a good indicator of how dangerous the monster is. Is this also true if we ignore monsters with abilities that bypass HP like petrification or the intellect devourer?
Also, are the monsters in volo's guide better about this?

The encounter building rules in the book are so bad that Mearls doesn't even use them. CRs are also not a good indicator of how powerful something should be.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

I use this instead, created by our own gradenko_2000.

minema
May 31, 2011
You can buy individual races and classes on D&D Beyond too, which I didn't realise. I just use it as my character creator and character sheet because I find it really easy to use and keeps tracks of all my limited use stuff easily. I think I've spent $4 on it total and have three characters I regularly use. It's not so good if you want homebrew or UA though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Splicer posted:

If she wants to do anything outside of combat this is a terrible idea.

Paladin is good. You've got the charisma to talk to people and a bunch of spells you can do stuff with as needed or just turn into extra dice of damage. Also, free magic horse!

This depends on how much of a dick your DM is. If your DM is cool with you using STR for intimidation rules you go from the socially useless character to bad cop and it loving rules. Resulting in great moments where your bard or Paladin fails a persuasion check and calls you in to see if a bit of a beat down may extract information.

Plus human standard point buy gets you 16, 14, 14, 14, 12, 9. Meaning you can actually be useful depending on where you put your stats. Additionally battle master gets artisan tool proficiency at level 3 too so with XGE your non-combat usefulness expands.

Speaking of the fighter I play now proficient in athletics, stealth, perception, survival and something else I can't remember, with blacksmithing tools he is actually pretty useful outside of combat.

I can throw on a chain shirt and have 15 AC and actually do some clutch stealth. With the Wisdom my perception is pretty good at level 3 and survival helps when out and about. With athletics bring a crowbar for advantage on breaking open doors and chests. A few times now we've had our lockpicker fail a roll on a chest and I get to go in and just force it open. Plus the DM allows my blacksmithing to be useful for identifying armour and weapons and the like we find along the way.

So your fighter can be useful for sure in a number of ways. Giving advantage to your main trap spotter by taking perception, giving yourself advantage to bust open locks and doors with a crowbar, throwing on a chain shirt and being stealth unit bravo in a pinch. This is just stuff that is completely RAW with no real give needed on the GMs part.

If your GM is cool letting you use STR for intimidation checks, as mentioned as an option in the PHB, you just became a clutch social interaction card too.

No you won't be the skill monkey of the rogue or throwing out neat spells like a wizard, but fighters are not the "well combat is completely over I am now utterly useless" like people make them out to be.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

doctor 7 posted:

This depends on how much of a dick your DM is. If your DM is cool with you using STR for intimidation rules you go from the socially useless character to bad cop and it loving rules. Resulting in great moments where your bard or Paladin fails a persuasion check and calls you in to see if a bit of a beat down may extract information.

Plus human standard point buy gets you 16, 14, 14, 14, 12, 9. Meaning you can actually be useful depending on where you put your stats. Additionally battle master gets artisan tool proficiency at level 3 too so with XGE your non-combat usefulness expands.

Speaking of the fighter I play now proficient in athletics, stealth, perception, survival and something else I can't remember, with blacksmithing tools he is actually pretty useful outside of combat.

I can throw on a chain shirt and have 15 AC and actually do some clutch stealth. With the Wisdom my perception is pretty good at level 3 and survival helps when out and about. With athletics bring a crowbar for advantage on breaking open doors and chests. A few times now we've had our lockpicker fail a roll on a chest and I get to go in and just force it open. Plus the DM allows my blacksmithing to be useful for identifying armour and weapons and the like we find along the way.

So your fighter can be useful for sure in a number of ways. Giving advantage to your main trap spotter by taking perception, giving yourself advantage to bust open locks and doors with a crowbar, throwing on a chain shirt and being stealth unit bravo in a pinch. This is just stuff that is completely RAW with no real give needed on the GMs part.

If your GM is cool letting you use STR for intimidation checks, as mentioned as an option in the PHB, you just became a clutch social interaction card too.

No you won't be the skill monkey of the rogue or throwing out neat spells like a wizard, but fighters are not the "well combat is completely over I am now utterly useless" like people make them out to be.

The issue is that Fighters can only interact with the interaction/exploration parts by utilizing a niche skill via an optional rule and they don't even get access to it exclusively. The Bard or the Paladin have equal access to Intimidation.

EDIT: I don't mean to say Fighters are totally useless, full stop, but rather the sentiment is born from how and when Fighters are allowed access to certain mechanics. An individual game at an individual table may never experience problem depending on the DM.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

The variant ability check rule is cool, but the last time I tried running a game with it, the players weren't really game on using it. Like, they liked the idea of having more freedom to do things in different ways, but nobody ever proposed anything and I think having the DM look for those opportunities takes too much of their RAM, to use a terrible metaphor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think having the DM look for those opportunities takes too much of their RAM, to use a terrible metaphor.

It also has the DM playing the characters via suggestion, which I think is only really appropriate for pretty novice players. (Even then, better if another player does it.)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Is there any good reason to take regular human over variant human?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Mendrian posted:

The issue is that Fighters can only interact with the interaction/exploration parts by utilizing a niche skill via an optional rule and they don't even get access to it exclusively. The Bard or the Paladin have equal access to Intimidation.

EDIT: I don't mean to say Fighters are totally useless, full stop, but rather the sentiment is born from how and when Fighters are allowed access to certain mechanics. An individual game at an individual table may never experience problem depending on the DM.

For sure. However in my experience Paladins and Bards usually take persuade as it is useful more often than intimidate which usually requires privacy (and you can persuade with guards around to no ill effect). Then, if not that, intimidate. If they do the former you can come in as bad cop. If they do the latter you can help them with advantage on the roll for that check.

I threw out fighter as a suggestion because of the goal is to play something simple that does damage there is nothing better than the fighter. Champion is just too simple and lovely in my books (also dice math says battle master is better at damage too).

While the fighter for sure takes a backseat to a lot of non combat stuff they definitely get this rep they're useless outside of it. Even just a crowbar thrown in your pack makes you the backup thief for getting in doors and chests.

Granted everybody has access to skill selection and you will probably not be rolling for these things but everyone in your team will be happy when they get advantage on these checks. And you are contributing outside of combat without going in the depth of becoming the main party face.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The variant ability check rule is cool, but the last time I tried running a game with it, the players weren't really game on using it. Like, they liked the idea of having more freedom to do things in different ways, but nobody ever proposed anything and I think having the DM look for those opportunities takes too much of their RAM, to use a terrible metaphor.

Yeah if your players aren't going to use bones you're throwing them I don't know what to say. It opens up options, they can take them or not. In my experience it rarely comes up but when it does it is a lot of fun to use.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 13, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Glagha posted:

Never, it's horrible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Glagha posted:

You can start with 3 16s, none of which are charisma, I guess.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Glagha posted:

I could see it for a rogue or something where you want high DEX, WIS/INT, CON and CHA. Or if you want to make a character with a variety of skills available. For the most part variant Human is definitely my choice over standard though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So our group infiltrated a secret base in like an island cove with a natural harbor. I upcasted Fog Cloud on our airship to conceal it. We quietly climbed down ropes and silenced a church bell. We quietly scouted out the buildings, identified our targets and were preparing setup for the attack so we could destroy the targets, burn some buildings and get out before we have a big fight with an overwhelming enemy force.

We're still on the wrong side of the island like a mile across when our monk says "gently caress it I'm bored" and blows up an outhouse with a potion of fire breath. So I have to basically cross a goddamn mile at 25/50 ft. per round because this goon couldn't wait for us to narrate getting into position before giving our presence away and doing so on a completely unimportant building.

Hope I don't get killed running a mile on an island with like 20 giants and down a fourth level spell because of the wasted Fog Cloud I guess.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh my group is on the same island. They barely made it off alive and now their ride has gone off alone to "rescue them" and got himself in trouble.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm a little sore about it. I'm trying to focus on the upside, which is that if my character dies, I can bring back that Bard I miss playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Glagha posted:

No, none.

You can start with 3 16s, none of which are charisma, I guess.

Variant human can do this by taking a +1 stat feat.