Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

netflix is shelling out ludicrous amounts of money for movies nobody else wants which is probably the actual reason their stock is tanking

It's this. Netflix is basically greenlighting everything because networks are pulling shows in favor of building their own Netflix competitors.

Which is so loving dumb. No one wants to buy 4-6 different 10-15$ subs. For that much (or more) you may as well just keep your cable/dvr.

on topic tax:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Alter Ego posted:

They take credit for the sun rising in the morning, who cares what Pepes think

It's just another in the long list of things they no longer allow themselves to enjoy.

Soon they'll only have Trumpy Bears and Sean Hannity body-pillows.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Eltoasto posted:

Manafort knows he is getting pardoned, along with everyone else, when Trump leaves office at the latest. It would be his perfect last act of defiance if voted out in 2020.

I think it's more likely Trump lets him rot because he made him look bad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

netflix is shelling out ludicrous amounts of money for movies nobody else wants which is probably the actual reason their stock is tanking

Not to mention the 150 shows they are trying to push on people that have no business being made in the first place. Why is Netflix trying to make 10 + cooking shows that all suck.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ague Proof posted:

It's just another in the long list of things they no longer allow themselves to enjoy.

Leaving my life empty of any joy, comfort or happiness to own the libs.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ague Proof posted:

If they haven't boycotted Alex Jones by that point, they'll have colloidal silver supplements and diamond gusset jeans

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not to mention the 150 shows they are trying to push on people that have no business being made in the first place. Why is Netflix trying to make 10 + cooking shows that all suck.

And a poo poo movie selection as well.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

With all the money they shell out for original programming and streaming rights I'm surprised they're still in business. How many new subscriptions can they get yet?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

boner confessor posted:

if you're constantly aghast at the immorality and stupidity of americans, then who is truly the stupid one :thunk:

I've been in a state of believing Americans are inherently immoral and stupid while simultaneously being aghast and surprised about this continuing to be confirmed as true over and over and over since Bush. Pretty sure I can pinpoint the exact moment too: Colin Powell's UN presentation.

Like I don't really want to generalize 300 million people but well, it just loving keeps happening doesn't it? And I know a whole bunch of y'all aren't voting for this poo poo, but gently caress you aren't exactly preventing this poo poo from happening either now are you?

Case in point: Schumer, Chuck. And all these other worthless loving democrats who just decided to deregulate the banks. And now a bunch of you are going to tell me how well there's just like, nothing they can do man because the electoral system and the constitution and blabla welp what can you do? All that poo poo is just ink on paper. I'm not saying changing this poo poo will be easy, but meanwhile there's now an actual non-zero chance of nuclear war. A very real chance of more non-nuclear war. And climate change being an absolute catastrophe is a near certainty. And it's primarily because of Americans. The same ones who haven't been able to shut up for 2 minutes about how amazing and awesome they are ever since I started talking to them. Well guys, loving prove it. Do loving anything.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Koalas March posted:

It's this. Netflix is basically greenlighting everything because networks are pulling shows in favor of building their own Netflix competitors.

Which is so loving dumb. No one wants to buy 4-6 different 10-15$ subs. For that much (or more) you may as well just keep your cable/dvr.

Which is why i still have cable. I do have Netflix and Prime, but I don't want to have to also purchase a separate streaming service for every channel/media conglomerate with content I/my family consumes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Koalas March posted:

A lot of shows have moved to Hulu because the major networks except for CBS co-own it

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

empty whippet box posted:

Leaving my life empty of any joy, comfort or happiness to own the libs.

I mean they can't find a person to Netflix & Chill with, so not much lost

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

trying to target and cater to devoted microaudiences

i'll never unsubscribe from netflix so long as they promise to fund twenty more seasons of mst3k

Orange Devil posted:

And I know a whole bunch of y'all aren't voting for this poo poo,

dont use yall when complaining about americans that is Our Word

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

With South Park, Seinfeld, and Always Sunny I feel like Hulu bypassed them long ago in terms of actual good content.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's why I have Nexflix and Amazon Prime and not cable or anything else, because I don't need to watch everything, and you can actually pay for the shows you want on Amazon (aforementioned Sunny.)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I just got a role in the White House, surely I won't be degraded I say as I choke on meat loaf and wilted salad.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ms Adequate posted:

This whole spy business was a lot classier in media about the Cold War, when it was all chess masters and defecting Olympians.

Tons of people got killed back then also

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If Lamb wins tonight I think we'll start to see some actual defections from Trump, not just lawmaker resignations. Every election year Pennsylvania was like some unattainable prize. Ohio, Missouri, and Florida could go either way, but PA was always just out of reach of the GOP. Trump got PA and the rest of the Rust Belt so they've stuck with him longer than they should have because he's the only way they could win. The map just doesn't play out unless you have those states.

But now they may be losing a seat they had before Trump (not counting Alabama because 14 year olds). The Senate already seems worried. Maybe the House thought they could power through 2018 and by 2020 things would be better.

Are there lists of which Republican seats are vulnerable? I didn't see anything on 538.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 13, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump is on TV talking about X Ray Vision Walls.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For me the big thing to watch for if Lamb wins are Republican retirements.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I read a while back that niche shows and movies have actually been very successful for Netflix, due to their international reach combining all those niche audiences in each country into segments that are actually worthwhile to target.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I almost cut myself on that post.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This. They are already happening faster than the typical "party on a downswing" norm. A Lamb victory has a small but not insignificant chance of promoting a full fail-cascade.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Isn't PA-18 going to no longer exist pretty soon? I don't know if they'll Chicken Little over it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

boner confessor posted:

i'll never unsubscribe from netflix so long as they promise to fund twenty more seasons of mst3k

Same

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Netflix brought back The Soup so I’m good with them for at least a couple more years

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Your Taint posted:

Isn't PA-18 going to no longer exist pretty soon? I don't know if they'll Chicken Little over it.

It's more about what it would mean for November if this heavily Trump rust belt district went for the democrat

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've thought about dropping Netflix, but like my entire family uses my account. Bunch of freeloaders.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/973644103081656320

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slashrat posted:

I read a while back that niche shows and movies have actually been very successful for Netflix, due to their international reach combining all those niche audiences in each country into segments that are actually worthwhile to target.

might have been true before but they're spending like drunken sailors on stuff that, at the price they paid, needs to be massively popular to justify the expense

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Your Taint posted:

It'll be taken as a reflection of national sentiment. There are plenty of districts that will still be around and were less Trumpy than PA-18.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your Taint posted:

This isn't about the actual seat, its about what this race says about the Blue Wave. A big Lamb win tonight might not mean anything legislatively for his seat but its the biggest scare to the GOP to date that starts making Roy Moore seem less like an anomaly or the Senate in November seem possible.

That's slight hyperbole but its the basic idea. Lamb shouldn't win. If Lamb wins and wins handily that's a time a lot of GOP incumbents are going to worry about their future.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomNamako/status/973643705696563200

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

on topic tax:

It's almost as if the cable business model exists for a reason :smug:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Your Taint posted:

If Lamb wins I think they probably will. If a Democrat can win in the current PA-18 it means there are probably less than one hundred GOP-held seats that are safe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, I think Netflix's future is as a distribution channel to international markets instead of the domestic market. We'll probably see more deals like Designated Survivor and Star Trek Discovery.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wait, I thought Trump demanded the see-through in the first place, so you could be sure a Mexican wasn't about to lob a bag of drugs over it and bonk you on the head?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Your Taint posted:

They'll chicken little cause they've thrown everything they have, including Trump rallies, at it. All the money and attention they had went into holding it. It was a T+20 district, losing it means 2018 is gonna be a bloodbath.

Caros
May 14, 2008

He doesn't know the word transparent exists, does he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

It's more about what it would mean for November if this heavily Trump rust belt district went for the democrat

yeah literally nothing will change substantively, this is all just a proxy battle for 2018 where democrats are trying to terrify sitting republicans into retiring and boost morale, and republicans are trying desperately to staunch the bleeding. if the winner fell over and died the day after the election and then the loser got the seat unopposed (for some reason) it wouldn't affect much of anything beyond the dems potentially having one less candidate for the general

• Locked thread