Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://deadspin.com/report-ncaa-tournament-turns-its-back-on-ted-valentine-1823716556

:laugh:

I predict that Seton Hall will make the Sweet 16 this year but really they're going to crush my hopes and dreams and lose against Kansas in the Round of 32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
And if I then turn my back on that non issue, who exactly is facing who?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

https://deadspin.com/report-ncaa-tournament-turns-its-back-on-ted-valentine-1823716556

:laugh:

I predict that Seton Hall will make the Sweet 16 this year but really they're going to crush my hopes and dreams and lose against Kansas in the Round of 32

I can't imagine a single basketball fan who isn't happy about this. I think 90% of the time I hear this guy's name, it's preceded by the word "gently caress"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BlackJosh posted:

I can't imagine a single basketball fan who isn't happy about this. I think 90% of the time I hear this guy's name, it's preceded by the word "gently caress"

This will shock you but dan dakich thinks that tv teddy is actually good and is very mad about this

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia's offered Thad Matta the job according to Seth Emerson and a couple other Georgia beat writers.

Neat.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

After the way he washed out badly his last few years at Ohio State, I wouldn't bet on him. But he was great once and I wish him luck

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Fast Luck posted:

After the way he washed out badly his last few years at Ohio State, I wouldn't bet on him. But he was great once and I wish him luck

He only has to be better than meh. It’s not a very high bar.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'd have been fine with him or Crean but apparently Crean sucked for not getting Indiana to the final four every year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Matta was really bad at the end and looked done with coaching, I think I'd rather have crean, as goofy as he is

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

MourningView posted:

Matta was really bad at the end and looked done with coaching, I think I'd rather have crean, as goofy as he is

He was really hampered by that back problem or whatever, so if that's better maybe he'll be ok. Then again how many old guys' backs get better as they age?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

He was really hampered by that back problem or whatever, so if that's better maybe he'll be ok. Then again how many old guys' backs get better as they age?

Coach K depending on how good his team happens to be at the time.

But yeah I'm sure Matta feels better now that he's had a year off to recover but it seems like it'd be high risk to flare up again if he got back into coaching and had to be on the road and everything else a lot, or he'd just be checked out like he was at the end with OSU.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
News: Lots of rumors that DeAndre Hunter for UVA broke his wrist and will have surgery. UVA never comments on this stuff until they have to, so Virginia fans get to worry and stress. Hopefully not true but there sure seems to be a lot of smoke.

View: gently caress.

edit: Yep. https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/973665136144723972

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 13, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crean was only bad in comparison to Calipari. That shouldn't be enough to fire him but let me tell you something about Indiana fans

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

News: Lots of rumors that DeAndre Hunter for UVA broke his wrist and will have surgery. UVA never comments on this stuff until they have to, so Virginia fans get to worry and stress. Hopefully not true but there sure seems to be a lot of smoke.

This curse loving sucks. UVA isn’t beating another elite team without Hunter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Crean was only bad in comparison to Calipari. That shouldn't be enough to fire him but let me tell you something about Indiana fans

I mean I think crean was fine but I imagine KU fans would not have hadled missing the tournament entirely two out of four years very well either.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

PotatoJudge posted:

A few different seasons Ohio State preseason buzz was that Matta's back was doing a lot better, etc etc. They kept getting worse, and had whole recruiting classes come in and then transfer out.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I thought I read somewhere that Matta's health was doing much better and that's why he was interested in getting back into coaching. Could just be smoke and mirrors.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Matta looked totally washed the last few years. At least he’s a good dude though so I guess I’d rather have nice bad Matta than lovely bad Crean.

pubic works project posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Matta's health was doing much better and that's why he was interested in getting back into coaching. Could just be smoke and mirrors.

He has drop foot or something from a hosed up back surgery and has to sit on a chair with like 8 inches of padding on the sidelines just to be in mild pain. Dude probably feels great because he’s been off his feet for a year but as soon as he’s out on a hard court every day I seriously doubt he’ll be feeling good still.

His issue won’t go away, he can’t take off or put on his socks/shoes and has to wear some heavy ankle brace just to be able to walk.

He’s a wonderful man but physically he is totally hosed.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 13, 2018

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

I mean I think crean was fine but I imagine KU fans would not have hadled missing the tournament entirely two out of four years very well either.

After the kind of sanctions Indiana had to deal with? I dunno. Probably not, but it still feels like a quick trigger hand.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
We gonna have a new GDT? The tournament is, technically, going :o

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
So far LIU Brooklyn is winning the good looking cheerleader tourney.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

After the kind of sanctions Indiana had to deal with? I dunno. Probably not, but it still feels like a quick trigger hand.

The sanctions were like 10 years ago. He got 3 years to turn things around (and to his credit did!) but then they regressed again pretty hard. They were one of the worst teams in the conference last year. I can see an argument for giving him another year but any program at IU's level would have been mad about that

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

View: gently caress.

edit: Yep. https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/973665136144723972
:(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had Virginia winning in like three of my brackets.

Adjusted.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Welp Virginia is out of my final four congrats Tennessee

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

Welp Virginia is out of my final four congrats Tennessee

:getin:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like this is an overreaction to say VA won’t make the final four, but that’s partially because I don’t know who else I would put in their place.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel like this is an overreaction to say VA won’t make the final four, but that’s partially because I don’t know who else I would put in their place.

Whoever wins between Kentucky/Arizona but I dunno which one of those teams I think is better.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

The sanctions were like 10 years ago. He got 3 years to turn things around (and to his credit did!) but then they regressed again pretty hard. They were one of the worst teams in the conference last year. I can see an argument for giving him another year but any program at IU's level would have been mad about that

Fair point, I just thought there'd be more loyalty there for getting them out of that morass. But I thought Tubby Smith was kinda poo poo on when UK fired him too, so maybe I'd be a horrible AD who wouldn't recognize sunk cost fallacy when I see it.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Probably Magic posted:

Fair point, I just thought there'd be more loyalty there for getting them out of that morass. But I thought Tubby Smith was kinda poo poo on when UK fired him too, so maybe I'd be a horrible AD who wouldn't recognize sunk cost fallacy when I see it.

UK didn't fire Tubby, he left to take the Minnesota job of his own volition. Now, was a lot of the fan base wishing they would fire him? Yeah, and he clearly saw the writing on the wall. Most fans seem to revere him now though, and I think he'll have his name in the rafters soon.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kentucky fans pretending they always loved Tubby is super funny if you actually remember Tubby's tenure there at all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Whoever wins between Kentucky/Arizona but I dunno which one of those teams I think is better.

Ayton is the best player between the two teams so I'll take Arizona

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ayton is the best player between the two teams so I'll take Arizona

This is true but if that were the standard I'd also be picking Arizona to win the whole tournament

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

This is true but if that were the standard I'd also be picking Arizona to win the whole tournament

I got Zona in the title game now that whatshisface from Virgina is OFY, so this theory checks out

Brunson is really good, as are the Duke/Sparty guys in theory

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

Kentucky fans pretending they always loved Tubby is super funny if you actually remember Tubby's tenure there at all

The two following years of Billy Gillespie did a lot to change their perspective. Hell, they gave Joe B Hall the same treatment at the end of his tenure too, and that gave us Eddie Sutton and a near death penalty.

For what it's worth, I've always liked Tubby and was kind of sad how he was treated by our fans, and this being the state it is I'm sure race had something to do with it. Basketball wise, people always point to no more final fours after winning it all his first year, but 2003 and 2005 were arguably his best teams, and were one Dwyane Wade and one double overtime loss to Michigan St away from two more final fours. Win even one of those games and I'm not saying he's still here, but would have been well beyond 2008.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The problem I'm having as an Arizona fan is that their lack of PG depth makes it really hard for them to build leads even against bad teams, which pretty much always sets them up for upsets, even when Ayton is having good games. They are worse at dealing with the zone this year than last year and they couldn't deal with it well enough last year to stop from getting beat by it.

With that said, Ayton is enough of a monster that when he's playing his BEST games, he has the potential to beat any team with even nominal help. It's tough to predict what they're going to do this year for me.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
BONNIES, BITCH

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Virginia is still good enough to beat anyone in their bracket, it's just the margin for error is a lot more slim and they should probably be considered more of a 2/3 seed rather than the outright #1.

That said, I expect them to trail in the UMBC game as late as the first media timeout of the second half, and I'm really looking forward to the narrative when UVA does get knocked out before the Final Four.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If Matta can get Georgia into the tourney every other year or something cool. Fox was an awesome dude and did cool goofy poo poo like paint his body for football games but it's a shame he wasn't a very good coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
MTSU coach Kermit Davis is reportedly going to take the vacant Ole Miss job. Good get for the Rebels.

• Locked thread