Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

5/5 would tree up again

Anytime I see someone steamrolling the absolute slog and horror show that is tomb, it makes me tear up a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so when is norris going to get his domesticated wave?

roxanne should get the ability to teleport into los of you whenever you go too far from her while on her level

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tollymain posted:

roxanne should get the ability to teleport into los of you whenever you go too far from her while on her level

:yeah:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
right now there's just very little reason to interact with her, even moreso than other uniques. she doesn't really exert any pressure on the player at all beyond making you stay out of her los

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Roxanne having teleportitis amuses me greatly, and for that reason alone it should happen.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Alternatively (or in addition to teleportitis) Roxanne could be like a Grotesque in Sil, a statue monster that can only move when it is not in your line of sight.

EDIT: I just realized that wandering mushrooms already have this logic. But Wandering Mushrooms can't use blink other close followed by LCS on you, either.

EDIT 2: BTW, if anyone in the thread is interested in learning how to make pull requests for Gooncrawl, covering everything from
-compiling Crawl
-how to read the code and figure out where you need to make your changes
-using Github Desktop and opening a pull request
I can help you figure it all out, hit me up on Discord: Patashu#8123

Patashu fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if we make a wandering mushroom unique it should be a new fedhas worshipper unique

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Patashu posted:

Alternatively (or in addition to teleportitis) Roxanne could be like a Grotesque in Sil, a statue monster that can only move when it is not in your line of sight.
:five:

Tollymain posted:

if we make a wandering mushroom unique it should be a new fedhas worshipper unique
:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.

Patashu posted:

I like this, just make sure that she's just the correct amount of aggressive with her teleporting, too much and she's becomes an annoyance.

If you ignored her she would essentially turn into a horror movie monster stalking you around the level but never moving when you look at her, always just appearing at the edge of LoS. I'd also support more changes that continued to turn her into a horror movie monster, like blood appearing around her after she teleports.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
roxanne following the player out of los seems just a little too much pressure, i think

like, that's just oppressive

e: have we had the debate yet about inventory size and whether or not it should be expanded or divided up or what have ye

my personal opinion on that is it gets kind of annoying later in the game when i keep having my inventory fill up because i forgot to turn autopickup off for things but also i don't think player characters should be able to pick up the contents of the dungeon like some sort of human roomba either

ee: i keep having more thoughts. sticky flame and clouds of flame should have -scroll and the same goes for -potions w clouds of ice and some cold spells

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 13, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm for roomba mode since most of the time you can ctrl+f back to any stuff you had to dump anyway so having having infinite room for things is just a question of a chore and nothing more

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Tollymain posted:

It should be a unique oklob/thornhunter that moves like a wandering shroom. And seriously fedhas should be reworked to give nature-forms instead of allies, just throwing that out there again.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Tollymain posted:

ee: i keep having more thoughts. sticky flame and clouds of flame should have -scroll and the same goes for -potions w clouds of ice and some cold spells

I like this kind of thing, it's like how perma corrosion became a harsh but temporary tactical debuff, except item destruction got replaced with nothing. I remember there used to be an enemy (retching horror) that gave you -Potion, what happened to that?

also RE inventory size, dcss-spicy has some code to double the inventory size to 104 items. It could be worth borrowing if people generally want a larger inventory.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 13, 2018

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone suggested making food interesting by keeping the hunger timer but making each food type have a unique small buff. Meat gives a simple short term +1 strength, for instance. Other rarer foods give cooler unique buffs or abilities. Need a quick see inv? Scarf down one of those magic kumquats you been hording. Garlic surrounds you with an undead repellant field. Pizza gives you uh.... +1 unarmed skill I dunno.

Also like the idea that eating the chunks of some enemies has a chance of temporarily infecting you with some of their abilities.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

6203 posted:

Has anyone suggested making food interesting by keeping the hunger timer but making each food type have a unique small buff. Meat gives a simple short term +1 strength, for instance. Other rarer foods give cooler unique buffs or abilities. Need a quick see inv? Scarf down one of those magic kumquats you been hording. Garlic surrounds you with an undead repellant field. Pizza gives you uh.... +1 unarmed skill I dunno.

Also like the idea that eating the chunks of some enemies has a chance of temporarily infecting you with some of their abilities.

I would personally not be interested in micromanaging food like that. By which I mean I would be extremely anti-interested.

It's not a good idea.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

6203 posted:

Implement the mutant class from that old final fantasy game on gameboy. Eating corpses has a chance to change your abilities or base monster type.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think powder does that thing w the corpses

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

baby delivery truck posted:

Implement the mutant class from that old final fantasy game on gameboy. Eating corpses has a chance to change your abilities or base monster type.

YES YES YES

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

This, on the other hand, is a whole different thing that - wait

Implement the mutant class from that old final fantasy SaGa game on gameboy. Eating corpses has a chance to change your abilities or base monster type.

Okay there we go.

This is a little better because my inventory doesn't get cluttered up with 10 kinds of meat chunks again if I just eat it when it drops and don't have to worry about regular satiation at the same time. :v:

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Whenever you kill a monster you eat it automatically so there's no hoarding chunks. Than the downside is no magic involving corpses.

OR whenever you kill a monster its DNA gets added to your bank, and whenever you eat chunks it has a chance to draw from a recently killed monster.

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
What about this:

Various foods give you cool long term buffs that last until the food clock hits hungry again.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Players spend a significant amount of time optimizing their inventory but the game rarely produces a situation where survival is decided by the 52nd most important item in your inventory. Most things (healing, curing, blinking, teleportation...) are no-brainers.

My solution would be that potions, scrolls, and evocables are moved to their own menus and given letters that stay constant between games. So you'd press q and see something like

a - 2 potions of healing
b - 3 potions of curing
c - 1 potion of might
A - 2 fizzy blue potions
B - 1 gray potion

These menus would also have shortcuts for controlling autopickup. For evocables it also solves the problem of a HOM doing optimization with wand stacking.

Spellbooks would either be moved to [p]eruse (they're only in [r]ead for fluff/historical reasons anyway) or get a similar system where any spellbook that's walked over is automatically read and added to a spell library.

Now that food has been consolidated and there's no more inventory optimization it could probably be moved to its own counter ("you have 2 chunks and 1 ration").

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
^^^^ This

Just potions and scrolls would be easy to navigate and would free up all the inventory space you need for other equipment. Maybe wands, too? They already did it with books in Trunk and it's great.

Tollymain posted:

roxanne following the player out of los seems just a little too much pressure, i think

like, that's just oppressive
You could always skip the level. Plus, by the time you do Swamp you likely have enough melee and a Silence scroll to take care of it.

Thalamas fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 13, 2018

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Having to spend 5 minutes out of every 15 scrolling through my inventory deciding what items i should drop is probably one of my main gripes with the game as it is now. It's just hella annoying and it's mostly completely meaningless, apart from that it might gently caress over newbies that drop the wrong things at the wrong times and forget the items exist.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think food really needs to be changed substantially, never mind removed, because it does something important and strategically meaningful already: spell hunger.

Hellcrawl kind of did a bad thing when they removed it, because they forgot about the fact that the point of the food clock isn't primarily to limit your ability to explore the dungeon. It's meant to give you a reason to ever use anything other than the strongest damage spell you can reliably cast. The thing about spell costs in Crawl is that MP cost and spell power don't increase in linear proportion to each other. A level 9 spell will cost nine times as much as a level 1 spell. It will, however, do far, far more damage than nine casts of any level 1 spell would, in addition to having additional tactical benefits like AOE or freeze effects.

A single cast of Magic Dart costs 1 MP. Nine casts of it will let you kill one or two Yaktaurs, if you're lucky.

A single cast of Firestorm costs 9 MP. One cast of it will let you clear entire rooms and spawns a bunch of chaff units while it's at it.

It's pretty obvious from this kind of comparison that high-level spells are actually cheaper to cast in terms of damage-to-MP ratio than an equivalent volley of low-level spells would be. You do more damage faster and get a bigger bang for your buck. The biggest limiting factor on this is spell hunger, especially on low-int hybrid characters.

It does so in two different ways: first of all, it makes you pay for that extra damage per turn by taking away a certain amount of turns you can spend to explore later before needing to resupply, which can hurt especially in the early and very late game. Second, it actively prevents you from casting spells with high food hunger once you drop past the threshold where you can afford them even if you still have MP left. This can be an issue especially in protracted fights, where you really want that all fast, powerful burst damage and can't just take a turn or more scarfing down food rations, limiting you to using the other and proportionally weaker spells as your disposal.

So the issue there is that basically, every character in Hellcrawl can cast like they were a Mummy, which is to say use their most MP-to-damage efficient spell every time all the time without having the Mummy's biggest drawback of being unable to drink potions. There is no opportunity cost to doing so at all. You might as well drop Glaciates on every ant that you see so long as you have the MP to get away with it, because waiting for the regen costs you nothing. Since the Mummies' entire original gimmick was the ability to circumvent this cost, I think you guys can see how this changes the power dynamic of the game immensely. This kind of calculated trade-off is exactly the kind of meaningful strategic choice that Crawl is supposed to be about.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

spider wisdom posted:

Since I am bad at DCSS and restart constantly (though I just discovered gooncrawl and my overall game is better), I'm picking my character pretty often. Is there a reason in webtiles why I can't use numpad to select these things? Signed, Poor Player :(

e: I do know about Tab, and I guess it's all kinda moot since I could hit the corresponding letter. Maybe it's just academic at this point.

Uhh, late as hell response on this, but this is usually a num lock issue.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think food really needs to be changed substantially, never mind removed, because it does something important and strategically meaningful already: spell hunger.

Hellcrawl kind of did a bad thing when they removed it, because they forgot about the fact that the point of the food clock isn't primarily to limit your ability to explore the dungeon. It's meant to give you a reason to ever use anything other than the strongest damage spell you can reliably cast. The thing about spell costs in Crawl is that MP cost and spell power don't increase in linear proportion to each other. A level 9 spell will cost nine times as much as a level 1 spell. It will, however, do far, far more damage than nine casts of any level 1 spell would, in addition to having additional tactical benefits like AOE or freeze effects.

A single cast of Magic Dart costs 1 MP. Nine casts of it will let you kill one or two Yaktaurs, if you're lucky.

A single cast of Firestorm costs 9 MP. One cast of it will let you clear entire rooms and spawns a bunch of chaff units while it's at it.

It's pretty obvious from this kind of comparison that high-level spells are actually cheaper to cast in terms of damage-to-MP ratio than an equivalent volley of low-level spells would be. You do more damage faster and get a bigger bang for your buck. The biggest limiting factor on this is spell hunger, especially on low-int hybrid characters.

It does so in two different ways: first of all, it makes you pay for that extra damage per turn by taking away a certain amount of turns you can spend to explore later before needing to resupply, which can hurt especially in the early and very late game. Second, it actively prevents you from casting spells with high food hunger once you drop past the threshold where you can afford them even if you still have MP left. This can be an issue especially in protracted fights, where you really want that all fast, powerful burst damage and can't just take a turn or more scarfing down food rations, limiting you to using the other and proportionally weaker spells as your disposal.

So the issue there is that basically, every character in Hellcrawl can cast like they were a Mummy, which is to say use their most MP-to-damage efficient spell every time all the time without having the Mummy's biggest drawback of being unable to drink potions. There is no opportunity cost to doing so at all. You might as well drop Glaciates on every ant that you see so long as you have the MP to get away with it, because waiting for the regen costs you nothing. Since the Mummies' entire original gimmick was the ability to circumvent this cost, I think you guys can see how this changes the power dynamic of the game immensely. This kind of calculated trade-off is exactly the kind of meaningful strategic choice that Crawl is supposed to be about.

I'm going to be blunt about this, but food still doesn't matter in this regard. There was, and still is, enough permafood and corpses in the game to sustain casting L8/L9 spells at low Spellcasting during every encounter without suffering consequences. I've done it while also worshipping Ely, which adds even more food costs on top.

Food (for non-Gozag worshippers) only becomes an issue if you eat your permafood at any point above starving (especially if you do it when you could have eaten a corpse instead) or do metric fuckloads of backtracking and grinding. This is because food has to double as both an exploration timer AND an ability cost. There has to be enough available to cover both, or you are telling slower/less efficient players that they can't use most of the fun things in the game or risk running out of food later on for doing so. Hellcrawl cut food because it cut backtracking and XP grinding, meaning it was harder in the first place to get big abilities usable. This made experience a good strategic cost for abilities, and a tactical cost wasn't considered necessary.

The thread said last survey that they don't want food removed, which I'm okay with. However, one recommendation I would throw out is to separate 'timer' food from 'ability' food to make it easier to balance both (as well as throw in the cool stuff like corpse intrinsics). Have permafood be the timer for how long you can spend in the dungeon (and tweak generation numbers around that), while corpses/butchering fuels abilities. It would need some tweaking with the species that revolve around food gimmicks, obviously.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah maybe food as a game clock is interesting, and maybe food as an ability limiter is interesting, but they definitely shouldn't be the same thing. As floodkiller says, there's enough perma-food to spam L9 spells with low spellcasting, that's not really a limitation. It might still be interesting within the course of a single fight - becoming starving in the middle of a fight could be disastrous, but there's already something preventing you from casting big spells too much in a fight - your MP bar. Thus, to me, the game clock is the only actually valuable purpose of food remaining.

I wonder what alternative ways we could have for pushing the player forward that aren't food. (The idea is to make it so waiting in a room for 1000 turns until a monster walks by at max range isn't optimal, like it is in DoomRL. I think that kinda works in doom but is bad for crawl.)

Maybe you could scale monsters XP rewards by how long many turns you've spent on the floor they spawned on. This way monsters slowly decay to not giving any XP if you dilly-dally too much. You're incentivized to kill stuff when you see it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 13, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can we at least goldify food, i.e. when you pick up a ration or an enemy drops a corpse, your food stash number increases, and pressing 'e' just subtracts one from your stash counter and gives you some satiation. Mostly butchering corpses is super annoying when trying to come back from hellcrawl and I don't want to do it. This is a slight buff to necromancers but I don't care.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Higher level spells also have a vastly higher opportunity cost from skill training than lower ones. The spell difficulty increases exponentially, and so too does the xp cost of raising your skills as you get to higher level. A character with low int, bad apts and heavy armour can still cast level 1 and 2 spells with minimal xp investment, while a spellcasting focused character may still struggle to get a level 9 spell online in a 3 rune game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

e: double phone post

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmm, casting higher level spells twice... double the effect... that might be an interesting buff

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

By the way, design poll will come when I'm available and willing enough to sit down and make it. I'm aiming to have it up at least before the weekend is over.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Cool species proposal for a 'easy to learn beginner spellcasting race', Faerie Dragon, over at the Tavern:

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25195

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not really surprised that there's already people going 'what about deep elf' which kind of ignores the idea behind the species in the first place

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patashu posted:

Cool species proposal for a 'easy to learn beginner spellcasting race', Faerie Dragon, over at the Tavern:

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25195

I'm extremely gay for this idea for both stylistic and gameplay reasons

still needs a little bit something to keep them from getting completely pincushioned by the first centaur but other than that I'm hyped

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think this is a pretty cool idea, and I'm all for it.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
ran upstairs from a fight, went back down a different staircase and got instantly blown up by azreal hurling damnation at me before I could even make an action. 0/10 would not recommend it.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

ran upstairs from a fight, went back down a different staircase and got instantly blown up by azreal hurling damnation at me before I could even make an action. 0/10 would not recommend it.

When you enter a new floor you wait 0.75 turns, but when you enter a floor you've seen before you wait 1.5 turns, so unless the first staircase is REALLY bad, you want to suck it up and keep using it, or poo poo like that can happen. (I've also had a recent 'second staircase into instant death' death.)

No one wants to meet Azrael early either, he's a dick with his damnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Patashu posted:

When you enter a new floor you wait 0.75 turns, but when you enter a floor you've seen before you wait 1.5 turns, so unless the first staircase is REALLY bad, you want to suck it up and keep using it, or poo poo like that can happen. (I've also had a recent 'second staircase into instant death' death.)

No one wants to meet Azrael early either, he's a dick with his damnation.

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad or unfair or anything, I knew the risk doing it. I just felt super overpowered with steam breath blocking LOS from everything and decided to clear d15 before I even started lair haha. But yeah going from 100+hp to 0 in one keystroke felt bad and I had to vent.

• Locked thread