Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

is it just my screen or is that chilli poo poo brown

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

is it just my screen or is that chilli poo poo brown

that chili is poo poo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

that chili is poo poo

:wrong:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I ate Skyline Chili multiple times a week as a teenager, it's awesome but will slowly make you fat as hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really wanna try Skyline.

I know their "chili" is more like spaghetti sauce because the chain's founder had no idea what chili was but... what the hell, it's a thing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

:wrong:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Data Graham posted:

Really wanna try Skyline.

I know their "chili" is more like spaghetti sauce because the chain's founder had no idea what chili was but... what the hell, it's a thing

It's not like spaghetti sauce. It's a greek chili so it's got nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Those are the predominant flavors.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i will not stand by while you disparage beef heart chili; that poo poo is delicious

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mikedawson posted:

I hate raw tomatoes. I love just about any form of cooked tomato, but the weird semi-solid texture and the weird taste of them sets me off. Might be a disability thing? I only say that because I have disabilities that makes me feel viscerally uncomfortable with very specific textures, and the sensation of a raw tomato is viscerally unpleasant for me.
:same:

It's so night and day I'm not sure why people started eating raw tomato in the first place. It's like potatoes where you obviously shouldn't be eating them raw.

The Bloop posted:

that chili is poo poo
That poo poo ain't chili.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

boar guy posted:

i will not stand by while you disparage beef heart chili; that poo poo is delicious

I've got a few beef hearts sitting in my freezer, give me a recipe.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

I've got a few beef hearts sitting in my freezer, give me a recipe.

http://micuisine.com/lunapiercook/?p=1324

Jackson Coney Island Sauce
1-1/2 pounds ground beef heart
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp paprika

Brown the meat in the vegetable oil but do not drain it. Once it’s browned, add the spices. Also add just enough water to moisten the sauce, maybe a few tablespoons. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s somewhat dryer, while being careful not to let it dry completely. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Koegel Viennas). Mustard and finely chopped onion are the preferred toppings.

Detroit Coney Island Sauce
1 pound beef heart, finely ground
1/2 pound chuck, finely ground
1/4 cup rendered beef suet
1/4 cup water
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup cracker meal

Brown the beef heart and ground chuck in the suet but do not drain it. Once it’s browned, add the water and the spices. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep it wet. Once the sauce is simmered, add the cracker meal to tighten it up but not too much. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Dearborn Brand). Mustard and finely chopped onon are the preferred toppings.

Flint Coney Island Sauce
1/2 lb Beef kidney, finely ground
1/2 lb Beef heart, finely ground
1/4 cup rendered beef suet or lard
3 tbsp of paprika
2 tbsp of chili powder
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

In a small pot melt the rendered beef suet or lard. In a large mixing bowl mix all but the salt and pepper by hand. Gently crumble the meat mixture into a medium pot, add the melted fat and stir well. Set for low heat and allow the pot to heat up. Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, adding suet or lard as necessary to prevent the meat from drying out. When the simmer is done, add salt and pepper to taste and finish stirring. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Koegel Viennas). Mustard and finely chopped onion are the preferred toppings.

(Detroit style ftw)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love places that dump chili on everything and I'd probably go to Skyline like once a week if I lived near one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

All of Midwestern cuisine can go in this thread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

boar guy posted:

(Detroit style ftw)
:yeah:

Same goes for pizza!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Croatoan posted:

It's not like spaghetti sauce. It's a greek chili so it's got nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Those are the predominant flavors.

It's got cocoa in it, too. Well, at least standard Cincinnati Chili does. Skyline still keeps their recipe secret, so who the hell knows what's really in there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Midwestern "cuisine"

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

boar guy posted:

Detroit Coney Island Sauce
1 pound beef heart, finely ground
1/2 pound chuck, finely ground
1/4 cup rendered beef suet
1/4 cup water
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup cracker meal

Brown the beef heart and ground chuck in the suet but do not drain it. Once it’s browned, add the water and the spices. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep it wet. Once the sauce is simmered, add the cracker meal to tighten it up but not too much. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Dearborn Brand). Mustard and finely chopped onon are the preferred toppings.

This sounds good, but I'll be damned if I know where I can get suet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

This sounds good, but I'll be damned if I know where I can get suet.

any grocery store will have it

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

boar guy posted:

any grocery store will have it

None of the ones around me do, or at least not that I've seen. I've looked for it before when I wanted to make spotted dick, but the closest thing I could find is regular old beef fat. :sigh:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

None of the ones around me do, or at least not that I've seen. I've looked for it before when I wanted to make spotted dick, but the closest thing I could find is regular old beef fat. :sigh:

amazon

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you are buying online get Atora; it's is the standard and traditional brand of suet for everyone in the UK/Ireland.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I do love me some moroccan pasta

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

boar guy posted:

Flint Coney Island Sauce
1/2 lb Beef kidney, finely ground
1/2 lb Beef heart, finely ground
1/4 cup rendered beef suet or lard
3 tbsp of lead
2 tbsp of chili powder
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

In a small pot melt the rendered beef suet or lard. In a large mixing bowl mix all but the salt and pepper by hand. Gently crumble the meat mixture into a medium pot, add the melted fat and stir well. Set for low heat and allow the pot to heat up. Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, adding suet or lard as necessary to prevent the meat from drying out. When the simmer is done, add salt and pepper to taste and finish stirring. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Koegel Viennas). Mustard and finely chopped onion are the preferred toppings.
FTFY

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had fruit salad with sliced bananas added to it. A bunch of nice, crisp fruit chunks and then a soggy loving banana that's been soaking in syrup for hours.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Basebf555 posted:

I love places that dump chili on everything and I'd probably go to Skyline like once a week if I lived near one.

LA goons can always get their fix at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Tommy%27s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Skyline tastes gross and sweet, i think there's cinnamon in it. Instead they should just go gently caress themselves because their chili sucks.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

spankmeister posted:

All of Midwestern cuisine can go to hell.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Speaking of cinnamon, who else used to take a stick and just chew on it for hours? Just me? Okay.

I was a weird kid.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Yeah it seems like the sauce from a moussaka, sounds ok but they should make it with lamb

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It's more like the sauce on pastitsio, in which people do sometimes use lamb. My family usually did turkry, but my grandmother did it with lamb. It's so loving good.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picnic Princess posted:

Speaking of cinnamon, who else used to take a stick and just chew on it for hours? Just me? Okay.

I was a weird kid.

Oh, I did. Sugarcane too. Sucked on cloves. Tried chewing cardamom pods, that's not nice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mikedawson posted:

I hate raw tomatoes. I love just about any form of cooked tomato, but the weird semi-solid texture and the weird taste of them sets me off. Might be a disability thing? I only say that because I have disabilities that makes me feel viscerally uncomfortable with very specific textures, and the sensation of a raw tomato is viscerally unpleasant for me.

I think a lot of it (I also hate most raw tomato) is that hothouse tomatoes are basically semi-solid water with no flavour. I was pleasantly surprised when my local farmer's market had a tomato tasting booth and the heirloom varieties actually tasted pretty nice, not just like vaguely acidic goop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

angerbeet posted:

I think a lot of it (I also hate most raw tomato) is that hothouse tomatoes are basically semi-solid water with no flavour. I was pleasantly surprised when my local farmer's market had a tomato tasting booth and the heirloom varieties actually tasted pretty nice, not just like vaguely acidic goop.

Yeah, growing your little pot of cherry tomatoes is a legit lifehack. When you eat a ripe cherry tomato right off the vine you're like "oh, I guess tomatoes really are a fruit". The best "fruit" tomatoes I've had are the yellow pear variety. They not acidic at all, but they don't contain lycopene.

Supermarket tomatoes are garbage. Wet cardboard garbage.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

So here's a slightly different approach for the thread, what are some textures and/or texture combinations that you can't stand; for example I hate it when tuna salad has celery or onions mixed in, as I don't like that kind of crunch in my tuna(plus I'll admit I am not a big fan of how celery tastes anyways), similarly when I have stuff like Pho or other kinds of Asian food I can't stand it if bean sprouts are included(or water chestnuts as another example)

cold cheese but cold pizza is fine if the cheese has been melted already but a square/slice of cheese in like a sub or meat and cheese tray, can't do it :shrug:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Supermarket tomatoes are garbage. Wet cardboard garbage.

:agreed:

nothing better in the summer than eating a warm cherry tomato right off the plant :allears:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Growing up, my dad used to grow tons of cherry tomatoes so we’d have a massive bowl of them on the kitchen counter for most of the summer :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Snoo posted:

:agreed:

nothing better in the summer than eating a warm cherry tomato hornworm right off the plant :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I hate to interrupt tomato chat (for the record, as a kid I hated all raw tomatoes including the ones my mom grew in the backyard that I now know were amazing, but always loved cooked ones. Now I like them both.) but as promised here's some Ecuadorian AFP from my dinner tonight. I'm afraid I went with the cliche, sorry.