Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Chinatown?

Monopoly but good. Scroll up! :smugdowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Chinatown?

Serious answer, it's a trading game where everyone draws random lots and random businesses and then argues violently to exchange them. Your businesses are worth more if same types are adjacent but because the lots are random some rear end in a top hat will be squatting the one lot you need to double your money.

Came out almost 20 years ago and has been out of print for almost 10 of those because life is cruel.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Did we mention it's good? 'Cause it's good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Played 2 player Spirit Island again last night. Lightning's Swift Strike and River Surges in Sunlight vs England. We were down to 2 blight left in the pool and 3 jungle zones (which were the ravage target) with a few towns/cities and fear level 2. Ended up losing after a blight cascade, no matter how we used our powers that round we were 1 damage short of clearing the last city. drat good game.

Then we played 5 or 6 rounds of Santorini, which is still good but probably falling to the bottom of my abstracts. The god powers keep the games interesting from one to the next, but the core game itself is still so simple that I get bored after 30 minutes. Onitama and Hive are moving up in my abstracts, Onitama is even more simple than Santorini but plays quicker and the variable cards are much more straightforward than the god powers, so it's a more chess/checkers experience most people can grasp in 5 seconds. Hive was my first modern abstract and we played it out years ago but it's making a resurgence and we're enjoying it a lot again. Still need to track down the pillbug expansion for it. Anyone buy it for the full size and have the pocket edition spares? Tak is still my favorite abstract.

Ended the night with two games of Hero Realms and it's still garbage.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 13, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Santorini seems like it has balance issues which make God power combinations weird. Someone's always on defense.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In Spirit Island I'm finding Lightning's Swift Strike to almost be a hilarious crutch. Whenever someone opts to play them every other player is like "Can you fast me this round?" every round like junkies looking for a fix. Maybe I should pull out the Blitz scenario sometime (where basically all powers become fast powers), but I feel like it takes a lot of the strategic depth away.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Just curious since I've been looking for gloomy co-op games, does anybody have experience with This War of Mine? Seems to be recommended for solo-play, but I've already got enough video games for that time. Somebody in another thread pointed out it's easy to find co-op dungeon crawlers, but other themes are far less common.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

SettingSun posted:

In Spirit Island I'm finding Lightning's Swift Strike to almost be a hilarious crutch. Whenever someone opts to play them every other player is like "Can you fast me this round?" every round like junkies looking for a fix. Maybe I should pull out the Blitz scenario sometime (where basically all powers become fast powers), but I feel like it takes a lot of the strategic depth away.

Best part about this is that if they had gone slow the first time they'd have been able to react to the invader phase with their slow cards and wouldn't be as reliant on becoming fast on future turns.

I try to limit going fast with Lightning's help as much as possible. There are usually better long-term plays and energy comes at a premium for lighting. Feeding Lightning energy as Ocean or River seems higher impact than Lightning making either fast (unless it is a clutch max element massive flooding).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Santorini seems like it has balance issues which make God power combinations weird. Someone's always on defense.

We do a draft of some type every round. Draw 5, ban one, pick one, pass, second player picks 2 and gives the last back to player 1. Play two rounds with those cards. Works pretty well to self-balance. We also took out a few of the advanced gods like Chaos because it's just too much hassle.

SettingSun posted:

I think that's balanced by the rest of his power level. His strength across the board is a little under average it feels and his innates have high trigger amounts. I played a solo game with him and that card was a free dump for an early major power though, so that also feels fine. Reading around on BGG the overall balance seems to be really good, with some people saying they've beat every scenario/nation with all gods in true solo, which is a great baseline for a game like this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So Scythe is (eventually) getting a modular board. Really curious how it will work with the campaign expansion coming, but hell yeah. Scythe is a game that went from a solid "average, not bad not great" to something I really like and appreciate for the tightness in the design and continued support for the game to keep it growing with good content. The modular final expansion (including campaign mode) and map will probably solidify it's place in my collection permanently.

quote:

Modular Board and Metal Mechs: After the Iron Harvest Kickstarter campaign, Jakub is going to work on the art for the modular board (yes, I finally figured out how to make a modular board for Scythe!) As for the metal mechs, based on the latest quote I got from our manufacturer, it may not be economically feasible, but I'm hoping we can find a way to make them. Please stay tuned to our e-newsletter and/or the Scythe Facebook group for news about these accessories.

And :lol: if he doesn't think board gamers will pay any amount of :10bux: to bling out games, especially one they already have deluxe tokens, resources, maps, etc for.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really want to play Spirit Island but I've told myself that I'm not gonna buy any more games until I liquidate half my collection, and I don't see anyone I know picking it up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Any good board games about giant monsters and/or robots fighting it out? The remake of monsterpocalypse and Pacific Rim 2 has got me in the mood.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Let me tell you the tale of Broken Loose and Final Attack!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

S.J. posted:

Any good board games about giant monsters and/or robots fighting it out? The remake of monsterpocalypse and Pacific Rim 2 has got me in the mood.

Not a board game but mechanically it might as well be, so you might want to look at Into the Breach. Like it's literally what that's about.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm sure you could PM Broken Loose for the playtest doc for Final Attack if you wanted!

e: i am undone

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Not a board game but mechanically it might as well be, so you might want to look at Into the Breach. Like it's literally what that's about.

This game is so loving good. I really liked FTL but this game is 10x more my poo poo. Definitely appeals to board gamers in it's puzzle/turn based nature too.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

S.J. posted:

I haven't gotten to play it yet, but Terror in Meeple City is a dexterity game that is basically the video game Rampage.

I don't think these are good, but King of Tokyo/King of New York could be up your alley if you are willing to deal with dice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Those are good and "push your luck" more than "deal with dice"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Holy poo poo I'm down for screaming Voltron fights with my friends.

Edit: Ah cancelled oh nooooo I may indeed mail him about that demo.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 13, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Nm I'm stupid and can't read charts.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 13, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: I have been defeated once more.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Should I buy Galaxy Trucker Anniversary edition? I have never galaxy trucked before.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bum the Sad posted:

Should I buy Galaxy Trucker Anniversary edition? I have never galaxy trucked before.
The problem with these editions is that they are big investments up-front for a game you might not like (and galaxy trucker is not for everyone, although it's really good). If you buy the base game only (which I'm not sure is even available anymore), it becomes more expensive to buy everything else separately. Do you have any chance to try before buying? Galaxy Trucker is liked by this thread in general but it's one of those games that really bounces off some people.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Bum the Sad posted:

I already own the base game and am still buying the Anniversary edition because I am a terrible completionist.

That said the base game is still fun and good.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Tekopo posted:

The problem with these editions is that they are big investments up-front for a game you might not like (and galaxy trucker is not for everyone, although it's really good). If you buy the base game only (which I'm not sure is even available anymore), it becomes more expensive to buy everything else separately. Do you have any chance to try before buying? Galaxy Trucker is liked by this thread in general but it's one of those games that really bounces off some people.
I priced it out on Amazon and it’s like $112 for the contents separate or $124 for the big box.

Board game money isn’t a huge concern for me. If it’s cool as poo poo and fun I want to buy it.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 14, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

DogCop posted:

I already own the base game and am still buying the Anniversary edition because I am a terrible completionist.

That said the base game is still fun and good.

I can buy the big box and still play the bass game right? Some people were saying it’s super hard to separate components once you pop them out based on some quick googling.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Bum the Sad posted:

I can buy the big box and still play the bass game right? Some people were saying it’s super hard to separate components once you pop them out based on some quick googling.

Don't see why not. The only thing you'd need to do is separate out the expansion ship tiles.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Well then gently caress it. I’m buying it and then some how gonna stop myself from buying poo poo.

Last two months alone I’ve bought Axis and Allies Anniversary edition and Gloomhaven + broken token organizer. Now adding this.

Will wait until next month to impulse buy Scythe.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

S.J. posted:

There's Monsterpocalypse if you can track down the older stuff that's OOP. Collectable but involves giant monsters and robots smashing each other through buildings with some mook units for backup. My main annoyance is the dozens of tiny symbols used to identify abilities on the bases, it really needs reference cards.

A new version is coming out later this year iirc but they're turning it into a hobby minis game with assembly and painting. Not sure if they tightened up the rules though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bum the Sad posted:

My opinion would be skip Anniversary edition, get base + big expansion + missions (which isn't included in anniversary). The rest of the stuff is.. fine but gets increasingly esoteric to the point that only hardcore players will want to deal with what the 3rd expansion offers.

Missons, on the other hand, takes from the amazingly good digital version and creates unique challenges that are cool but not "HOLY gently caress" hard.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Crackbone posted:

My opinion would be skip Anniversary edition, get base + big expansion + missions (which isn't included in anniversary). The rest of the stuff is.. fine but gets increasingly esoteric to the point that only hardcore players will want to deal with what the 3rd expansion offers.

Missons, on the other hand, takes from the amazingly good digital version and creates unique challenges that are cool but not "HOLY gently caress" hard.

Hmm this isn’t bad advice. Maybe I’ll just buy the anniversary and tuck the third expansion poo poo at the bottom.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'm really apprehensive about the new version of Monsterpocalypse. The simple paper street grids and janky prepainted models were a pretty drat good fit for the campy source material. I'm unexcited about the change in model style, the increase in price that will likely come with it, and the prospect of having to assemble and paint poo poo.

They haven't said much about how they're changing the rules, but the two major changes they have announced both rub me the wrong way, though largely for superficial reasons. The first is making 2 monsters to a side the default and 1v1 a variant, the original game had the reverse. I imagine this ties to their game design (or maybe business model) somewhere but I like the 1v1 theme and its a shame to move away from that. Hell, even the new website is framed around a 1v1 stare down. The second major change is splitting the 6 factions into a simple 3 good guys/3 bad guys for army-building purposes. In the original game the 6 factions were set up in a circle and could pull allies from the 2 adjacent factions. I really like the flavor this added; the giant military robots could get help from the corporate nanotech ninjas or the environmentalist godzillas, but the former might also side with invading martians for a cut of the spoils and the latter with the destructive space monsters for some good ol' fashioned building smashing.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

silvergoose posted:

Forget it, Jake.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zark the Damned posted:

There's Monsterpocalypse if you can track down the older stuff that's OOP. Collectable but involves giant monsters and robots smashing each other through buildings with some mook units for backup. My main annoyance is the dozens of tiny symbols used to identify abilities on the bases, it really needs reference cards.

A new version is coming out later this year iirc but they're turning it into a hobby minis game with assembly and painting. Not sure if they tightened up the rules though.

Don't take this too harshly, but I literally reference the remake of monpoc in the post you quoted :v:

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'm really apprehensive about the new version of Monsterpocalypse. The simple paper street grids and janky prepainted models were a pretty drat good fit for the campy source material. I'm unexcited about the change in model style, the increase in price that will likely come with it, and the prospect of having to assemble and paint poo poo.

They haven't said much about how they're changing the rules, but the two major changes they have announced both rub me the wrong way, though largely for superficial reasons. The first is making 2 monsters to a side the default and 1v1 a variant, the original game had the reverse. I imagine this ties to their game design (or maybe business model) somewhere but I like the 1v1 theme and its a shame to move away from that. Hell, even the new website is framed around a 1v1 stare down. The second major change is splitting the 6 factions into a simple 3 good guys/3 bad guys for army-building purposes. In the original game the 6 factions were set up in a circle and could pull allies from the 2 adjacent factions. I really like the flavor this added; the giant military robots could get help from the corporate nanotech ninjas or the environmentalist godzillas, but the former might also side with invading martians for a cut of the spoils and the latter with the destructive space monsters for some good ol' fashioned building smashing.

I loved the original game but hate everything about collectible models, so I think it's a net positive. If nothing else, the game is actually coming back out :v:. I'm hoping they'll release more details soon, I'm assuming there will be more to the allies stuff than just pure mix and match, or at least I hope.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 14, 2018

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Chinatown?

As little as possible.

quote:

giant robots duking it out

E: wrong quote

There's a wonderful print and play called Majestic which is a giant robot duel, not quite like any other game really.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 14, 2018

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Finally finished the final game of Charterstone with the family. The kid kept up pretty well overall, which either shows how solid the base worker-placement design is or how simplistic the game is. Unfortunately, the campaign kinda ends with a big wet noise as people huddle over calculators to numerically decide who was the super-winner.

Pacing issues plague the campaign all the way through since most of the unlocks are player-triggered, which is a really fun idea and works great the first two-to-three games but then ends up creating weird games in which either tons of stuff is getting unlocked in one game or absolutely nothing is. Compounding this is that we played three playered with no automas because we didn't want to deal with the extra time and bookkeeping of three automas while dealing with a child's attention span. Charterstone's absolutely 100% built around six players so the end of our game we had a ton of buildings from the inactive players in our deck just taking up space because nobody wanted to build them.

I like that the game alters its rules after the campaign to make one-off games possible. Not sure why you'd want to, but that's certainly a thing you could do if you wanted. Meh.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 14, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

S.J. posted:

Don't take this too harshly, but I literally reference the remake of monpoc in the post you quoted :v:

I loved the original game but hate everything about collectible models, so I think it's a net positive. If nothing else, the game is actually coming back out :v:. I'm hoping they'll release more details soon, I'm assuming there will be more to the allies stuff than just pure mix and match, or at least I hope.

Yeah I had a brain dumb, my bad.

I really hope they're putting out free downloadable rules and unit cards like they do with Warmahordes so I can use my old stuff without having to fork over tons for new minis...

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Countblanc posted:

I really want to play Spirit Island but I've told myself that I'm not gonna buy any more games until I liquidate half my collection, and I don't see anyone I know picking it up.

I was on a boardgame embargo from my wife, and a friend desperately wanted my Chinatown copy for a Christmas present for someone, so he bought me Spirit Island as a swap for Chinatown.

I love Chinatown, but I just got Sidereal Confluence, which is basically asymmetric Chinatown with cubes which I also love.

I figure I can wait to pick up Chinatown again the next time it's printed, whenever that is.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

BGG Hotness is...interesting right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bum the Sad posted:

Hmm this isn’t bad advice. Maybe I’ll just buy the anniversary and tuck the third expansion poo poo at the bottom.

For what it's worth you should absolutely buy and try the app version of Galaxy Trucker for <$10 before shelling out so much for the real game, because while it's cool and I understand what Vlaada is going for, it's really not my cup of tea and I would have been a little put off shelling out MSRP for a physical copy sight unseen.