Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

I said I'm only 54! :argh: Once I hit 60 I'm making a sicklazy Jetstream Sam cosplay using the Rising Dragon set and past that I dunno I haven't seen the SB stuff yet because I haven't played since 3.2 really. that one does work though i just wish it wasn't level locked
My mistake. I glossed over it thinking of my own cyborg ninja glamour.

Brainamp posted:

You want the Tremor Katana/Katana of Crags.
I forgot how comically large those things are. The BLM staff especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I always forget how stupid them and the giantsgall/direwolf stuff is, yeah.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
the SB pvp katana is reasonably fat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, it's doable, I've found ways to mitigate it with other things, but that's still a lot of time to spend.

It's either easy in terms of player skill/dedication or it takes time. That's the fulcrum that FFXIV's gear treadmill runs on. Savage content (hard, less overall time spent) gets you the best stuff but you'll still be competitive if you don't do that and stick with latest-tomestone (easy, time consuming) gear.

4-5 hours of EXDR per week is not hard. If you keep running the treadmill, you will get 360 gear.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Okay it’s really bothering me, what are the jean shorts Rowena is wearing right now?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

M.c.P posted:

Okay it’s really bothering me, what are the jean shorts Rowena is wearing right now?

They're the Spring Bottoms, which unlock in Kasumi's shop after doing enough Fashion Reports every week.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

All of the lockbox loot except the minions is untradeable.

loving Why

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Because everyone must grind. No Exceptions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

They're the Spring Bottoms, which unlock in Kasumi's shop after doing enough Fashion Reports every week.

So they're in the boutique this week? I got the shirt a few weeks ago but haven't seen anything new since. Or is this a "Garlond Tools says she has it" thing?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The worst part about Eureka is if you just want to know what’s going on, and they set up a nice mystery with it, you’re staring down the barrel of a hell grind. From what I can tell, they could halve the XP required to level and still not change the time to make a relic.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Shere posted:

Eureka is stupid and boring. It's probably the most tone deaf thing they've ever put in the game aside from Diadem.

It's like they misinterpreted every piece of criticism Diadem received.

They are literally never going to release another good piece of content that isnt a dungeon or trial. I would bet money on it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The last couple of raids seem fine? I mean Hashmal is kind of annoying but...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Eureka turned out...bad!?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Nodosaur posted:

The last couple of raids seem fine? I mean Hashmal is kind of annoying but...

I would just lump raids in with trials. Exact same thing pretty much.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Eureka turned out...bad!?

It'd probably be better if there weren't two simultaneous grinds, and if the monsters weren't glorified training dummies. Just killing enemies one after another with no real variation in what you can do. The actual content is just uninteresting, which can't support the hell grind for both crystals and levels. Like that's just the basic underlying fundamental issue. It's boring.

Overall it has a huge slew of issues since it's a duty and not just an area in the game world that would allow you to use it as queue time filler, and it doesn't allow you to level other jobs while chipping away like some of the previous fate grinds would.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 13, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In Eureka, will there be like a level 70 monster twenty feet from the level 1s? If not then it isn't the authentic FFXI experience.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In order to *truly* be FFXI wouldn't NMs have to lock to the first party to agro them in order to encourage a mad rush to pull?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

In Eureka, will there be like a level 70 monster twenty feet from the level 1s? If not then it isn't the authentic FFXI experience.

Yeah there were level 9 monsters not far at all from level 2, which makes a big difference in that hellhole.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

So they're in the boutique this week? I got the shirt a few weeks ago but haven't seen anything new since. Or is this a "Garlond Tools says she has it" thing?

I heard it's based on a hidden points counter which adds up your top scores each week and unlocks things at various intervals. But that could also just be bullshit! Some people have the shoes though, looks like the shorts are last.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Hello goon friends.

I played FFXIV ARR at launch, but stopped playing about two months later after finishing the main story.

Today I found the Stormblood expansion on Amazon for $23 so I picked it up. I think rather than trying to pick up my old character, I'm just going to start new, so looking forward to playing this game with some of you!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

slev posted:

Can't wait for the blitzball reskin of lords of verminion in 4.35

this but unironically.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Personally, I think the worst part about Eureka is that I know it'll be 100% dead a few months after the last patch adds relic related stuff to it. It's content that you need a group around your level for, but it is removed from the way the game normally handles level-locked content, and the lack of rewards for helping lower leveled players removes any incentives for older players to go back. There is absolutely no way some new player in 2+ years is going to be able to get anything that drops from it without massively reworking its systems. That type of design philosophy completely goes against what the zodiac and anima relics did, since they were all about doing fates in leveling zones, running dungeons, doing optional trial fights, hunting down newbie bonuses for hard fights, etc.

arisu posted:

Hello goon friends.

I played FFXIV ARR at launch, but stopped playing about two months later after finishing the main story.

Today I found the Stormblood expansion on Amazon for $23 so I picked it up. I think rather than trying to pick up my old character, I'm just going to start new, so looking forward to playing this game with some of you!

Hey, welcome back! Try not to let the negativity in this thread color your impression too much, people are rightfully bummed about the latest patch. The two expansions are great, so you have a lot to look forward to!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The worst part about Eureka is if you just want to know what’s going on, and they set up a nice mystery with it, you’re staring down the barrel of a hell grind. From what I can tell, they could halve the XP required to level and still not change the time to make a relic.

Four Thousand Three Hundred Protean Crystals

That's just to get to the final Anemos tier, not even accounting for the like 900 loving Anemos Crystals you'll need for a dyeable AF3 set and relic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is this the part where someone smugly goes "Wow guys its not that hard you just need to dedicate 10 hours a day for the next 30 days straight and thats all gosh guys you're such babbies :smuggo:"?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Leal posted:

Is this the part where someone smugly goes "Wow guys its not that hard you just need to dedicate 10 hours a day for the next 30 days straight and thats all gosh guys you're such babbies :smuggo:"?

If not yet, then soon.

Want to take a stab at it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Eureka is intended to best be played in a group of 4-8 of a relatively standard party composition.

The object is to take your party to a spot on the map and chain pull enemies 5-6 levels above you while utilizing crowd control and maximizing DPS and kill chains and avoiding aggro. - Very much identical to how a party in Final Fantasy 11 worked

You should assign one person to be your "puller". Prefferably a Tank as these mobs can and will 1HKO DPS and Healers.

If you are recieveing poor rewards you are likely playing the content wrong

The content is NOT ment to be played like Diadem or Hunts; that is "zerging" enemies in alliance sized groups. With the exception of Notorious Monster spawns.

The difference in XP and rewards between playing the content properly vs playing it incorrectly is a factor of 10.

Rewards increase in value and abundancy the further you progress into the content - with the most challenging monsters rewarding the best - as it should be.

The further you venture, the more dangerous the enemies become. Crowd control is extremely advisable.

Elemental affinity is less about increasing damage and more about reducing incoming damage.

This means it is of the utmost importance that tanks properly switch their affinity.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thundarr posted:

Rainuwastaken posted:

I heard it's based on a hidden points counter which adds up your top scores each week and unlocks things at various intervals. But that could also just be bullshit! Some people have the shoes though, looks like the shorts are last.

Yes, that's how it works. The vendor lady has everything in her inventory. Not sure if the exact point values were discovered, but it's basically a tally of how many points you've gotten in total over all your bests for each week. Whether by doing the best you can over a couple weeks or by doing the absolute minimum over a longer period of time, you'll eventually unlock the gear.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Ffxi apologists saying this isn't ffxi do exist. :O

It's about ethics in item gaining guys!
I mean he's not wrong, the subtext of any criticism of ff14 relics (not just Eureka, but was said of 2.0 relic and anima also to a lesser extent) is knowing that brand-new they're already not great for the amount of effort they require and will be totally obsolete in 3 months. So not only is it a hell grind but its a hell grind with an expiration date. The equivalent systems in ff11 would give you something that's relevant for a long time which sucks in its own way.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Eureka is intended to best be played in a group of 4-8 of a relatively standard party composition.

The object is to take your party to a spot on the map and chain pull enemies 5-6 levels above you while utilizing crowd control and maximizing DPS and kill chains and avoiding aggro. - Very much identical to how a party in Final Fantasy 11 worked

You should assign one person to be your "puller". Prefferably a Tank as these mobs can and will 1HKO DPS and Healers.

The content is NOT ment to be played like Diadem or Hunts; that is "zerging" enemies in alliance sized groups. With the exception of Notorious Monster spawns.

The difference in XP and rewards between playing the content properly vs playing it incorrectly is a factor of 10.

Rewards increase in value and abundancy the further you progress into the content - with the most challenging monsters rewarding the best - as it should be.

The further you venture, the more dangerous the enemies become. Crowd control is extremely advisable.

Elemental affinity is less about increasing damage and more about reducing incoming damage.

This means it is of the utmost importance that tanks properly switch their affinity.
Shut up, nerd!!

I know this is from some Reddit thread, so just imagine I'm saying it to them through you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Martman posted:

Shut up, nerd!!

I know this is from some Reddit thread, so just imagine I'm saying it to them through you.

the thread itself is split on upvotes but the guy has like 30 posts defending it in that thread and they're all at like -20 :lol:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A person in one of the reddit threads made a point that they at least could have put in some daily quests or something. “Get a 30-chain three times. Reward: 50 crystals” or something like that.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Mordiceius posted:

A person in one of the reddit threads made a point that they at least could have put in some daily quests or something. “Get a 30-chain three times. Reward: 50 crystals” or something like that.

We will investigate if this is a good idea to implement content. Please be patient.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite part about this is that this is exactly what I did and it really honestly feels like you're better off taking a couple of buds to an out of the way place and just killing mobs around your level. The TTK shoots up exponentially the higher level something is, and if the real grind is crystals anyway you should be killing things at your level, not above it.

Eureka is a loving shitshow right now. If they patched all of the XP required to level by half it'd still be a shitshow.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I find it amusing that anyone would describe the mobs as "challenging" when really they're just striking dummies with higher stats.

You'd think people would put themselves above patronizingly simple infinite time sinks in an era of gaming just awash with alternatives, but I guess different strokes and all.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

God, it's been less than a day and it's already getting hard to find useful parties due to how painful and restrictive the level scaling is.

I eagerly await seeing the conclusion to the storyline on youtube, since there's no way anyone sane will ever see it and even if you try if you don't get it done as soon as possible you'll probably never be able to do it once the zone stops being populated.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mordiceius posted:

etc etc etc

I did exactly this for a couple hours, so let me provide some context for people thinking, oh, it's just day 1, people haven't figured out what the gently caress yet:

It's still awful. It's still you getting through 1/3 of your rotation at a mob that does nothing and then falls over, and then you go kill his buddy, and then you go kill his buddy, and then you go kill his buddy, and then the first mob has respawned. Loops around a loving tree. Was it faster then some group that didn't know anything? Sure. Fast enough? It would never be fast enough.

What's really funny, what had me in stitches listening to reports from friends, was that it's actually faster leveling to join and then a couple of minutes later leave instances to cycle through them until you land one one that has an NM spawn, because they give so much more xp. So here we are: after two expansions, and three attempts at diadem, the optimal way to level is still camping loving fates. What a world.

THIS is what's going to kill Eureka, the dual facts that A) reasonable progression in collecting crystals is (presumably) locked behind high elemental levels and B) The process of getting powerful enough to qualify for A is just incredibly boring. Boring even for MMO hellgrind standards.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Shy posted:

If anyone is bored and looking for another mmo may I suggest ESO. Such a sweet game. I only played a little bit but I won't stop recommending it, the questing is very fun.
:wink:
Check out secret world legends, it's getting fresh story content in June after their move to f2p
:wmwink:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Meiteron posted:

I did exactly this for a couple hours, so let me provide some context for people thinking, oh, it's just day 1, people haven't figured out what the gently caress yet:

It's still awful. It's still you getting through 1/3 of your rotation at a mob that does nothing and then falls over, and then you go kill his buddy, and then you go kill his buddy, and then you go kill his buddy, and then the first mob has respawned. Loops around a loving tree. Was it faster then some group that didn't know anything? Sure. Fast enough? It would never be fast enough.

What's really funny, what had me in stitches listening to reports from friends, was that it's actually faster leveling to join and then a couple of minutes later leave instances to cycle through them until you land one one that has an NM spawn, because they give so much more xp. So here we are: after two expansions, and three attempts at diadem, the optimal way to level is still camping loving fates. What a world.

THIS is what's going to kill Eureka, the dual facts that A) reasonable progression in collecting crystals is (presumably) locked behind high elemental levels and B) The process of getting powerful enough to qualify for A is just incredibly boring. Boring even for MMO hellgrind standards.

square enix has a fast turn around though. expect a coldfix to this any month now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Instance swapping will be announced as an exploit and people doing it banned for abusing content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait in what crazy world is fate camping still the optimal way to level