Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would definitely be interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

To be clear: These signs were all outside the radioactive areas, right? (definitely interested, count me in)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I really should have taken a Rad-Con Control Point placard when I left my last job.

If there are any left I'll take a trefoil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hremsfeld posted:

To be clear: These signs were all outside the radioactive areas, right? (definitely interested, count me in)

Count me in only if the signs are neutron-activated.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm super down, farfromtomorrow on the googlemails

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

if anyone wants some free radioactive material signs with trefoil, I can hook you up. We've closed 4 sites and the radiopharmacy loves sending them over and over as stocking stuffers.

Ooh, that'd be fun.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Also interested.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

Count me in only if the signs are neutron-activated.

Well they definitely contain neutrons, is that enough?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

cakesmith handyman posted:

as long as they contain a few extra neutrons yeah

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

cakesmith handyman posted:

As long as they have too many neutrons and are spitting some out, yeah.

Gimme some that are spitting positrons, too.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Icon Of Sin posted:

Nerve agents are a special kind of terrible for me. Acetycholinesterase inhibitors in particular are the pinnacle of :stonklol: Take the entire disease progression of tetanus (2-3 weeks), condense it down to ~10 horrible minutes, and voila! You've got a real party cooking at that point.

Any modern concentrated industrial pesticide also considers farmers pests, and most are like two or three functional groups away from the really awful nerve agents. Every year a dozen or so farmers manage to spill that poo poo on themselves, and die exactly as you described.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Any modern concentrated industrial pesticide also considers farmers pests, and most are like two or three functional groups away from the really awful nerve agents. Every year a dozen or so farmers manage to spill that poo poo on themselves, and die exactly as you described.

I remember reading examples of German 'oopsies' with regards to Soman, Tabun, and Sarin where one unlucky fucker had a *gallon* of the poo poo pour into his impermeable suit. They didn't even mince words, I think the conclusion of that particular entry was "he died."

Every time someone has asked me in the past to explain nerve agents - usually because their impression is what they saw in "The Rock" - I tell them "bug spray for humans."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

as long as they contain a few extra neutrons yeah

Gotta have those lagniappe neutrons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Asproigerosis posted:

if anyone wants some free radioactive material signs with trefoil, I can hook you up. We've closed 4 sites and the radiopharmacy loves sending them over and over as stocking stuffers.

I'm in mike dot llaneza @ gmail dot com

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nerve agent symptoms has the acronym SLUDGE(M) and it is what you think it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLUDGE_syndrome

If you see this, run. There is an old US military training video on youtube demonstrating this by firing live rounds of VX on to fortifications with goats in it. It pretty much breaks down to "You're hosed".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's currently a scandal ongoing in Denmark about pesticide levels being way too high in a large portion of the groundwater. We've always been proud of our "clean pristine tap water", but that is certainly very much in question now.

The worst thing is that the farming lobby and various right-wing governments have been extremely adamant since the 1970s that "there is no danger, the levels are perfectly safe with our current usage of pesticides".

Bull. loving. poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Nerve agent symptoms has the acronym SLUDGE(M) and it is what you think it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLUDGE_syndrome

If you see this, run. There is an old US military training video on youtube demonstrating this by firing live rounds of VX on to fortifications with goats in it. It pretty much breaks down to "You're hosed".

My 2 biggest mistakes in the army (outside of joining :v: ) were asking a chemical warfare officer about her branch (it still exists, but only barely; these people do admin stuff unrelated to their work all day long), and taking that knowledge to an old army nurse and asking follow up questions, like “does the army have enough medicine to treat a large-scale release?” (lol no). She explained to me why there are so few MOPP suits, but plenty of decontamination gear floating around (suits are for company leadership, and it’s easy to decontaminate a rifle and put it into the hands of a new recruit).

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I ordered some Chromium (III) oxide and our supplier sent us Chromium (IV) oxide instead.
They offered to let us keep it but I'd rather not.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rozzbot posted:

I ordered some Chromium (III) oxide and our supplier sent us Chromium (IV) oxide instead.

Thank god it isn't radioactive!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Rozzbot posted:

IV is the reddish orange and III is the green isn't it?

(I only remember chromium colors by using them to make ceramics glazes)

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Organophosphates are great. I got a mouthful of concentrated ant spray once when I was mixing chemicals at a resort I worked at years ago. I spit it out and rinsed my mouth. I stood there a few minutes reading the physicians instructions on the bottle. Treatment is to administer atropine to tolerance. That can't be good.

Fortunately, I didn't get enough to hurt me I guess.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

mostlygray posted:

Organophosphates are great. I got a mouthful of concentrated ant spray once when I was mixing chemicals at a resort I worked at years ago. I spit it out and rinsed my mouth. I stood there a few minutes reading the physicians instructions on the bottle. Treatment is to administer atropine to tolerance. That can't be good.

Fortunately, I didn't get enough to hurt me I guess.

:stare:

:nfpa:

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

shalafi4 posted:

IV is the reddish orange and III is the green isn't it?

(I only remember chromium colors by using them to make ceramics glazes)

Turns out I'm bad at roman numerals and its actually VI rather than IV, but I've got no idea what colour it is regardless.
The III forms a very pretty emerald green when it's doped into silicate based glasses.

Surely there's a suitable chromium isotope that could complete the hazard symbol pyramid

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rozzbot posted:

Turns out I'm bad at roman numerals and its actually VI rather than IV, but I've got no idea what colour it is regardless.
The III forms a very pretty emerald green when it's doped into silicate based glasses.

Surely there's a suitable chromium isotope that could complete the hazard symbol pyramid

Or perhaps some flammable solvent to cap it with a torch?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chromium (VI) oxide, based on a quick wiki search, is the main chromium compound used for chrome plating.

I'm surprised the Harley plant here in Milwaukee hasn't blown up yet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iospace posted:

Chromium (VI) oxide, based on a quick wiki search, is the main chromium compound used for chrome plating.

Silly goose, all the chroming is done by Indian and Chinese child laborers before being shipped over here to be assembled. Real Americans get to turn the final screws to ensure that "70% American-sourced content." That content is pride. :911: :911:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

iospace posted:

It'll probably be a superfund though!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

iospace posted:

Also horrifyingly toxic to the environment, and an absolute nightmare to remove from said environment since it tends to leach into the groundwater. Its a highly potent carcinogen as well.

Doesnt help that when a chrome 6 spill happens, its usually a big one since its widely used in industry.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Mar 15, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, chrome-6. (Used to be) commonly added to paints. Involved in a big scandal in the Netherlands where thousands of contractors for the Dutch military got horribly and chronically ill because they were asked to paint stuff with paint that later turned out to have 200x the legal allowed maximum of chrome-6. Apparently the effects of breathing that in are "worse than asbestos".

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Try mixing it with alcohol, preferably under a fume hood.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GWBBQ posted:

Try mixing it with alcohol, preferably under a fume hood.

Trip Report: Chrome Russian

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

Trip Report: Chrome Russian

I think Captain America fought him in the last Avengers movie.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

The supplier has said regulations prevent them from taking it back and they are contacting the manufacturer so we can send it back directly to them lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rozzbot posted:

The supplier has said regulations prevent them from taking it back and they are contacting the manufacturer so we can send it back directly to them lol

Reply from manufacturer: "Pour it down the drain."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also horrifyingly toxic to the environment, and an absolute nightmare to remove from said environment since it tends to leach into the groundwater. Its a highly potent carcinogen as well.
Yeah this. Everyone time I hear somebody bitching about how much of a pain it is to chrome stuff I get the urge to ask if they know what the loving stuff does to living things.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The European REACH regs aimed to eliminate the use of chrome, until a bajillion automakers and mechanical component manufactures banded together and said "gently caress the environment, do you know how useful this stuff is?"

For example it's used to coat press tooling, being hard as nails and mechanically very slippery. The plasma nitride alternatives can do hard, but not nearly as slippery.
In the course of learning all this I meet some cheerful Germans with lasers, robots and pits of toxic chemicals.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There’s a difference between irreplaceable industry applications and shiny loving bumpers is all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Asproigerosis posted:

If this offer is still open I'm totally down for one of these.

terriblerobotsa at gmail

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

If these are still around, I too would be interested.

Username @ yahoo.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Asproigerosis posted:

Same. Nth.Doctor.SA at google's electronic mail domain.