Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not that hungry, I'll just have a side salad.

*One lettuce leaf and an entire boiled potato*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Bloop posted:

And what kind of dressing would you like with your side "salad"?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sour Cream

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

To be fair there's a quarter of a hard boiled egg, half an avocado, and a slice of tomato there too. Still, welcome to the Andes I guess. You'll eat your potato and you'll like it.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

New Tide Pod challenge contender right there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stereobreadsticks posted:

To be fair there's a quarter of a hard boiled egg, half an avocado, and a slice of tomato there too. Still, welcome to the Andes I guess. You'll eat your potato and you'll like it.

Oh wow, I didn't see the avocado. In blended with the lettuce to create the illusion of a huge lettuce leaf.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

And yet no-one is mentioning the sad little dish of popcorn

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cakefarts Carol posted:

It's festive!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Learn something new every day, me

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Cakefarts Carol posted:

It's hard to tell but there were banana chips mixed in with it too. All unsalted but it still tasted pretty good dipped into the spicy sauce to the left.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look at you, poster. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my threads. How can you challenge a perfect immortal coney?

e vvv - Coney in this case, would be coney sauce. Or chili for your hot dog. It's usually ground beef and whatever seasoning.

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Mar 14, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manuel Calavera posted:

it's all about the coneys and fries.
Isn't a coney a rabbit? What does it mean in this context?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

So how do chocolate soft serve ice cream snakes pair with lime, dirt, and red crayon?

Just saw this post, the snakes were deep fried and tasted more or less like frog legs if you've ever had them, sort of midway between fish and poultry. My only complaint was that they were really small and had a ton of bones so, like when you eat small fish like anchovies or sardines, you just wind up crunching through them. It's fine, but I'm not a big fan of eating the bones. As for the accompaniments, the lime was nice because the acid cut through the fattiness like when you put lemon on fried fish, the "dirt" was a spice mix that you could either sprinkle over the snakes or dip them in and it was pretty good. And I honestly don't remember what the "red crayon" actually was.

Bonus: From my last meal with my roommate in Beijing before leaving China. She's from a small town (by Chinese standards) in Sichuan and she wanted me to try something she loved from her hometown, so we had some rabbit.

Sorry, it's a little blurry:

And from the night before that,

And finally, not really AFP but this was from a chain bakery near where I worked in Beijing, one of their Halloween specials.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Mar 14, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Grocery store tomatoes suck because they're refrigerated, which kills the gently caress out of their texture and favor. It also doesn't help that most people bring them home and stick them in the fridge. Once they warm up for a day or two sitting on your counter they'll get some flavor back and be less mealy, but they'll still never compare to an unfridged tomato.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I'm not sure which thread to put this in

https://i.imgur.com/eDkgQ6W.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/SBHYhcX.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/POvp3nZ.gifv

Molly Schuyler

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:randno:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ugh, even the idea of competitive eating makes me feel ill

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It always amazes me how fit and athletic a lot of competitive eaters are. Totally defies the stereotype

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

:randpop::fag:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rndmnmbr posted:

Grocery store tomatoes suck because they're refrigerated, which kills the gently caress out of their texture and favor. It also doesn't help that most people bring them home and stick them in the fridge. Once they warm up for a day or two sitting on your counter they'll get some flavor back and be less mealy, but they'll still never compare to an unfridged tomato.

That is a big part of it, yeah. They also choose varieties based on looking attractive, and travelling and storing well. You can't sell fruit that will get bruised to poo poo just riding around in the box. Nobody buys tomatoes based on flavour, so it isn't an important factor. Usually the label doesn't even tell you what precise variety you're getting. Are those cherry tomatoes Tiny Tims or Sweet 100s? Nobody knows!

e: there is some AFP with homegrown tomatoes though. Like catfacing. What is catfacing?

These tomatoes are not diseased per se, that's just a thing that can happen. The fruit themselves are still perfectly good to eat and yummy.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Mar 14, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bike tory posted:

It always amazes me how fit and athletic a lot of competitive eaters are. Totally defies the stereotype

KAHN: Guess you never heard of "belt of fat" theory.
BILL: Belt of fat?
KAHN: That's why fat guys can't keep up with us skinny Asians. Your stomachs are trapped in belt of fat. Got no room to stretch.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

KAHN: Guess you never heard of "belt of fat" theory.
BILL: Belt of fat?
KAHN: That's why fat guys can't keep up with us skinny Asians. Your stomachs are trapped in belt of fat. Got no room to stretch.

So I just googled "belt of fat theory" and...

quote:

Popular Science Confirms BoF Theory
10/29/2003

After failing to gain recognition from the academic community for more than five years, a ground-breaking piece of science from the IFOCE.s research department has been confirmed by Popular Science, the respected scientific journal.

The November 2003 Popular Science addresses the tendency for thinner, in-shape gurgitators to beat heavier eaters in competition. Many intuitively believe that a larger individual has more room to hold food, but this is not the case. The magazine states that the size of the stomach at rest is inconsequential and that the ability for the stomach to expand is all that matters.

This is the conclusion reached by former world champion hot dog eater Edward Krachie in his 1998 scholarly journal article, .CAN ABDOMINAL FAT ACT AS A RESTRICTIVE AGENT ON STOMACH EXPANSION? An Exploration of the Impact of Adipose Tissue on Competitive Eating.. In his article, Krachie goes a step further and proves that the stomach of a heavier eater is prevented from expanding by a .belt of fat..

The IFOCE and Edward Krachie submitted his piece to numerous academic journals including the New England Journal of Medicine. Sadly, all journals rejected his piece.

.This is an amazing moment of vindication,. said IFOCE President Richard Shea. .The scientific community has recognized that the IFOCE research was years ahead of the curve..

Copies of Krachie.s so-called Belt of Fat Theory are available through subscription to The Gurgitator, Life on the Circuit, the IFOCE.s quarterly publication. Copies of Popular Science are available at newsstands.

lmao

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you look at the competitive eating rankings, a fat guy doesn't even crack the top 15

http://www.majorleagueeating.com/rankings.php

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I've had good hothouse beefsteak tomatoes before--it can happen but isn't the most common.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

It's very get-off-my-lawn but it makes me angry at the waste of food, the whole thing is sick and wrong

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

EoinCannon posted:

sick and wrong

https://i.imgur.com/eeYZnfu.mp4

When you realize your daughter is recording you

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Cakefarts Carol posted:

I was literally just about to post "I'm the bowl of popcorn with a lemon slice sticking out of it" :colbert:

Why are these so cute?!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tiggum posted:

A white hot dog or "white hot": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hot

I'm from the area, but I don't think I've ever tried one. But then again I didn't have a real hot dog until I was in my twenties, as far as I remember.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

i wonder how much money and time she spends training. are there any health issues with competitive eating? has anyone like ruptured a stomach?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

:yum:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

iirc she ate a 72oz steak in 3 minutes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i wonder how much money and time she spends training. are there any health issues with competitive eating? has anyone like ruptured a stomach?

its an open secret that they vomit as much as bulimics

most competitive eaters are thinner than average, forex

you gotta train your stomach before you can even thinking about trying this sort of thing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

spankmeister posted:

iirc she ate a 72oz steak in 3 minutes

That is a really unappealing thought.

E: oh my God, you could choke! I want to call her mom and tell on her!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

If you look at the competitive eating rankings, a fat guy doesn't even crack the top 15

http://www.majorleagueeating.com/rankings.php

I knew thin privilege was real!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiggum posted:

My understanding is that the Skyline Chili founder was trying to recreate the hot dogs that were traditionally served at Coney Island.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

That is a big part of it, yeah. They also choose varieties based on looking attractive, and travelling and storing well. You can't sell fruit that will get bruised to poo poo just riding around in the box. Nobody buys tomatoes based on flavour, so it isn't an important factor. Usually the label doesn't even tell you what precise variety you're getting. Are those cherry tomatoes Tiny Tims or Sweet 100s? Nobody knows!

So how are normies supposed to go about getting a good tomato?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

So how are normies supposed to go about getting a good tomato?

My tactic is to just eat every single tomato I can get my hands on and then afterwards mark them between 8 and 10/10, 8 being "tomatoes are my favorite" and 10 being "tomatoes are GOD."

e: okay, but also, hothouse tomatoes at the chain grocery in midwinter are usually pretty tasteless. My parents used to buy Roma tomatoes in the winter if we wanted fresh ones, but I dunno if that's because they're actually better, or if it's one of their many weird food habits.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My tactic is to just eat every single tomato I can get my hands on and then afterwards mark them between 8 and 10/10, 8 being "tomatoes are my favorite" and 10 being "tomatoes are GOD."

e: okay, but also, hothouse tomatoes at the chain grocery in midwinter are usually pretty tasteless. My parents used to buy Roma tomatoes in the winter if we wanted fresh ones, but I dunno if that's because they're actually better, or if it's one of their many weird food habits.

My experience is that unless tomatoes are in season you're always bound to be disappointed.