Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, Zilla's lower jaw is one of his most distinctive features. He just wouldn't look like the character without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Man, Zilla's lower jaw is one of his most distinctive features. He just wouldn't look like the character without it.

You can slim it down some though, or at least give him teeth that could actually bite through a cab

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think that's what the design did, at least on the lower jaw. The teeth are kinda thick and "crunchy" looking.

This is a weird conversation.

But I dunno. Energon is a very flawed series but I really love the look of all the Terrorcons. Battle Ravage, Divebomb, Cruellock, Insecticon... they're some of the best army builders the franchise has ever had.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's something I've learned, having nothing to do with the fanbase at large and nothing to do with the toyline except in retrospect here recently

Like I saw a few episodes of Beast Wars in the 90s but otherwise missed that whole train, saw an episode of Armada I guess? when it was airing on CN but never watched that past it, caught an episode of Animated

Got back into Beast Wars in the late 2000s early 2010s due to some weird rear end G4 show that would air it sometimes and I watched Prime from start to finish because it caught my interest with the designs.

Toyline wise I had Classics Voyager Optimus Prime and I think I ended up with a Classics Grimlock at some point and otherwise it was marveling at how cool Unicron was and NEVER having the money to even think about getting him, and then just seeing random movie bots and the like whenever I went to a store

There has never truly been a bad era for Transformers toys. Even with like, early Beast Wars, you still have Megatron and Optimus Primal, the latter of which STILL rivals the masterpiece in a few ways in robot mode. It has aged fantastically.

EDIT: even super late G1, you can find some gems there

The Unicron Trilogy toyline is, with a few misses here and there, fantastic. Just a great showcase of evolution across the franchise and they got really inventive and did a lot of cool things.

The one caveat might be the Beast Machines toyline. I cannot think of a single good thing from that mess. Maybe because Takara put more effort into the Japanese Beast series at the time I don't know

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
beast machines vehicons were Good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Beast Machines line gave us some great toys in the form of the Vehicons. Interesting transformations and unconventional robot modes. I love how Scavenger's scoop becomes his torso.

The Maximals are mostly turds, tho, with some exceptions. Skydive isn't too bad. So are Battle Unicorn and Night Viper.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think some of the Maximals are neat but I kind of like weird ugly things. Like most are failures as toys, but a couple are functional and interesting, such as Night Viper, Snarl, and SkyDive.

Really what has to be wondered is why Hasbro wanted a "spiritual" series and wanted to go with that particular aesthetic. I don't think it looked remotely like anything "popular" at the time, and it wasn't a popular decision, and yet Hasbro bet a formerly successful series on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, car and plane Transformers were pretty much dead so why not go a completely different direction?

E: Oh wait, Beast MACHINES. Never mind. No idea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

The Beast Machines line gave us some great toys in the form of the Vehicons. Interesting transformations and unconventional robot modes. I love how Scavenger's scoop becomes his torso.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes? I like Blastcharge a lot, though his “Punisher” deco from Universe is the superior version.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See this is what I'm talking about

Transformers has such a great history. Even without any connection to the fiction surrounding it, it just has some good goddamn toys in every era.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I own blastcharge and he is loving chrome-plated garbage

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Blastcharge is a cool truck that turns into a fat rear end in a top hat with gun tits, clown pin clubs, and tire shoes.
He rules.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Blastcharge is a cool truck that turns into a fat rear end in a top hat with gun tits, clown pin clubs, and tire shoes.
He rules.

Never seen or heard of Blastcharge but the '03 Universe purple one looks kinda cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Blastcharge is such a great transformer for one reason

Dude is in nothing really. He wasn't in the show, he's just this weird rear end army building figure that has so much personality just due to the dumpy, lovely design. You can imagine that he'd be just the total lunkhead of the group.

I can appreciate a terrible design like Blastcharge because it's just got so much going on for it. It's such a weird and unique little ugly thing. You put that on a shelf and you can't ever be mad at it. It's going to stick out.

The real actual bad Transformer toys, to me, are the ones that are just boring and useless. I can enjoy a good funny design just fine but I have to have something to work with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You like the thing that is bad, for being bad. Got it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Armada was a huge step back, engineering wise. The static Minicon ports were fine but otherwise it was a load of weak spring loaded gimmicks that barely worked correctly much of the time, and the regular sized toys usually suffered for their inclusion; there are a few gems from that year but I think the best thing I can say about that era is how quickly the following lines got away from doing that kind of crap (or at least better about working the gimmicks in to the figures) and back into some fun Transformers.

Mind you I can remember the gimmicks starting to become invasive even during Beast Machines so maybe there was really no way to avoid that

Now that we've had Titans Return I'd like to see the Minicon concept revisited and maybe some of those old ideas can be made awesome.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think some of the Maximals are neat but I kind of like weird ugly things. Like most are failures as toys, but a couple are functional and interesting, such as Night Viper, Snarl, and SkyDive.

Really what has to be wondered is why Hasbro wanted a "spiritual" series and wanted to go with that particular aesthetic. I don't think it looked remotely like anything "popular" at the time, and it wasn't a popular decision, and yet Hasbro bet a formerly successful series on it.

Internal company politics, probably. Some exec became obsessed with the idea probably like that one dude who was so into having Superman fight a giant spider that he got the thing put into the movie Wild Wild West instead

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

You like the thing that is bad, for being bad. Got it.

It's bad in an interesting way.

It's not bad because it's boring or because it looks cheap.

It's bad because it has weird railing legs with tires for feet but not in a cool way, in a very junked up way

It looks like he should be friends with WreckGar. A pile of junk that formed a robot.

Compare that to like, Supreme Cheetor, who just looked awful and did nothing for his size.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I understand what you're saying, but blastcharge is still an awful figure with gimpy arms and mismatched wheel legs that just look terrible all around, a ridiculous launcher gimmick that is visually awful in robot mode, and just a generally unappealing aesthetic. It's not a good toy, you can like it, but it being better than the absolute dregs is faint praise

Then there's guys like thrust with the most lolworthy legs and feet since, you know, he shouldn't even have them and clearly was never designed for it, jetstorm had a decent compromise but thrust is just hilarious

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Burkion posted:

Compare that to like, Supreme Cheetor, who just looked awful and did nothing for his size.

The most backhanded compliment in Transformers toy history.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Supreme Cheetor was an excellent homage to many G1 figures that had a transformation of standing up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Endless Mike posted:

Supreme Cheetor was an excellent homage to many G1 figures that had a transformation of standing up.

Except said G1 toys were actually capable of standing. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, I'm feeling extra Can Do tonight, so I'm finally sorting out the TFNation TF Animated graphic novels.

These are the people I have down for the 5 copies I have:

The List
1. DoctorWhat
2. Captain Invictus
3. History Cums Inside
4. Iced Cocoa
5. drrockso20

I'll be sending out PMs in a bit with paypal details.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I've said it before but it'd be great if a IDW Blastcharge ever appeared they have him be a Transformer whose Vehicle Mode is their default form, and it's his Robot Mode that is the alt mode

Actually come to think of it, that would be a great way to make Beast Machine style Vehicons stand out better if they were to be introduced to the IDW continuity, take the name literally, like the only reason most of them even have Robot Modes is cause they realized that their Cybertronian cousins feel awkward talking to someone who is always a tank or motorcycle

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, I'm feeling extra Can Do tonight, so I'm finally sorting out the TFNation TF Animated graphic novels.

These are the people I have down for the 5 copies I have:

The List
1. DoctorWhat
2. Captain Invictus
3. History Cums Inside
4. Iced Cocoa
5. drrockso20

I'll be sending out PMs in a bit with paypal details.

Neat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it before but it'd be great if a IDW Blastcharge ever appeared they have him be a Transformer whose Vehicle Mode is their default form, and it's his Robot Mode that is the alt mode

Actually come to think of it, that would be a great way to make Beast Machine style Vehicons stand out better if they were to be introduced to the IDW continuity, take the name literally, like the only reason most of them even have Robot Modes is cause they realized that their Cybertronian cousins feel awkward talking to someone who is always a tank or motorcycle

Neat

In his Marvel appearances and profile, Tracks wanted to stay in alt mode all the time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love IDW, but they have a bad habit of forgetting about the transforming part of transformers.

Tighclops posted:

Armada was a huge step back, engineering wise. The static Minicon ports were fine but otherwise it was a load of weak spring loaded gimmicks that barely worked correctly much of the time, and the regular sized toys usually suffered for their inclusion; there are a few gems from that year but I think the best thing I can say about that era is how quickly the following lines got away from doing that kind of crap (or at least better about working the gimmicks in to the figures) and back into some fun Transformers.

It is a bit weird that after the ball-joint and chrome crazy beast wars/machines, here comes Armada, which was far less articulated and all about weird gimmicks. I feel like the extra Japanese influence might've had something to do with it too. Especially in those days, special power-up modes or one robot becoming armor for another robot seems like a more Japanese thing, and all those delicate balljoints can't support fancy gimmicks.

It might've also been the fact that RID that came right before it. You can really see how G1 steadily evolved into more weird future-techy aesthetic as well as weird animals and monsters, which became Beast Wars's animals with crazy cybernetic elements, but when Car Robots did its thing with bringing back old designs including the old G1 brick robots, designers felt like going back to the G1 styles, for better or worse.

I still love minicons though, I'm a sucker for cheap lil robots that still have creative engineering.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SlothfulCobra posted:

I still love minicons though, I'm a sucker for cheap lil robots that still have creative engineering.

well speaking there of
apparently takara made toy story's woody and buzz that transform into cars in a surprisingly competent manner, but they are exclusive to tokyo disney resort

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

My MP starscream and star saber came in. Yay!
Starscream's left wing almost immediately broke. Less yay...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Droyer posted:

My MP starscream

Masterpiece, Droyer? This is bad comedy. :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Masterpiece, Droyer? This is bad comedy. :v:

I've uh... I've never actually seen the transformers movie

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Droyer posted:

...Get out

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
No! Stay and maybe watch it if you want.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Droyer posted:

Are you in for an interesting experience if/when you do!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's probably on youtube even

I also recommend watching the GI Joe Movie as a companion piece, they were made at the same time and it's weird and crazy, too.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Other cool beast machines toys (if you can put the perversion of formerly great characters out of your mind):

Blackarachnia
Rattrap
That hammerhead shark guy
Motorcycle drone
Tank drone
Blast punch primal

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Other cool beast machines toys (if you can put the perversion of formerly great characters out of your mind):

Blackarachnia
Rattrap
That hammerhead shark guy
Motorcycle drone
Tank drone
Blast punch primal

Motorcycle drone is super good.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Burkion posted:

There has never truly been a bad era for Transformers toys. Even with like, early Beast Wars, you still have Megatron and Optimus Primal, the latter of which STILL rivals the masterpiece in a few ways in robot mode. It has aged fantastically.

EDIT: even super late G1, you can find some gems there

Action Masters and the Micromaster bases don't even count as Transformers, they're just MASK. Micromasters have their charm, but not when they're the only actual transforming figures in the line. Then this was followed by nothing. There's no redeeming the early '90s.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It is a bit weird that after the ball-joint and chrome crazy beast wars/machines, here comes Armada, which was far less articulated and all about weird gimmicks. I feel like the extra Japanese influence might've had something to do with it too. Especially in those days, special power-up modes or one robot becoming armor for another robot seems like a more Japanese thing, and all those delicate balljoints can't support fancy gimmicks.

It might've also been the fact that RID that came right before it. You can really see how G1 steadily evolved into more weird future-techy aesthetic as well as weird animals and monsters, which became Beast Wars's animals with crazy cybernetic elements, but when Car Robots did its thing with bringing back old designs including the old G1 brick robots, designers felt like going back to the G1 styles, for better or worse.
Armada was a direct response to RiD, which proved that vehicle Transformers sold well, but whose main figures were far to complex for the target audience to transform. Hasbro flat-out said at the time they wanted to get back to figures that could transform in a few seconds and not disrupt playflow by kids having to stop and work on a figure for 10 minutes and get frustrated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RiD Ultra Magnus is an absolute poo poo bot without Prime.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Knormal posted:

Action Masters and the Micromaster bases don't even count as Transformers, they're just MASK. Micromasters have their charm, but not when they're the only actual transforming figures in the line. Then this was followed by nothing. There's no redeeming the early '90s.
Micromasters were cool as gently caress for two reasons:
1: teeny robots that weren't much less complex than full size robots.
2: they were cheap and came in packs of four or more, so you got a lot of bots for your unit currency. That mattered to 5 year old me.

I am happily tracking all the ones I missed or lost or broke down online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

RiD Ultra Magnus is an absolute poo poo bot without Prime.

actually he rules. he's real and strong and tall and my friend