Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well obviously if true zeon had been tried there wouldn't be any innocents left for later zeons to drop colonies on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Does Gundam X stand for Gundam Xenogears now? Because that is totally a prototype of the Xenogears.

The X stands for its the 90s and that'll make it EDGY.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The X stands for its the 90s and that'll make it EDGY.

I mean, I can't be the only one who sees it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh yeah, kinda.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Welp

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

tsob posted:

Ennil El? It really wouldn't make sense for her to get that design instead of Carris, or in general given the units she used. I liked the unit design she was supposed to get anyway.

I wasn't saying she should get that one, I was just saying I wish there was some sort of canonical material that includes that design even if she's not the one piloting it. V/Bertigo Gundam just seems kind of odd by comparison given it looks so very much like an existing (and fairly strong) design in the series.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Don't even need to go that far, it's basically weltall with a different color scheme

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The real comedy here is that the Republic of Zeon over in Side 3 was around for all of those, obviously aside from the first, and apparently went about its business fine without committing any more warcrimes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The real comedy here is that the Republic of Zeon over in Side 3 was around for all of those, obviously aside from the first, and apparently went about its business fine without committing any more warcrimes.

It gets better. The civilian government of Side 3 that took over after the war?

They existed during the OYW, and a successful coup d'etat put them in power shortly before its completion. They were the ones who arranged peaceful terms of surrender.

It's a deeply weird fact of UC history that Zeon produces total lunatics who drop colonies on everyone at the same time as they have a generally functional, responsive civilian government.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

It gets better. The civilian government of Side 3 that took over after the war?

They existed during the OYW, and a successful coup d'etat put them in power shortly before its completion. They were the ones who arranged peaceful terms of surrender.

It's a deeply weird fact of UC history that Zeon produces total lunatics who drop colonies on everyone at the same time as they have a generally functional, responsive civilian government.

So the Republic of Munzo technically still exists as the Zeon Republic?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'heys guys, guys.

' guys, have we, you know. Have we ever, err, ever tried, well... have we tried not dropping giant things on people?'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The plot to assassinate Gihren Zabi is really good.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

The new Gundam X blu ray set is going to come with a prequel manga featuring this new MS, Cockatiel Gundam

:kimchi: good bird good gundam :kimchi:

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Republic of Munzo technically still exists as the Zeon Republic?

Isn't it only called the Republic of Munzo in The Origin? It was always just the Republic of Zeon pre-OYW in other sources IIRC.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Pureauthor posted:

'heys guys, guys.

' guys, have we, you know. Have we ever, err, ever tried, well... have we tried not dropping giant things on people?'

To be fair, many, if not most, of their colony and asteroid drop plans did actually work. Side 3's core competency is somehow de-orbiting colossal things to murder people on Earth, but it's not like they're bad at it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

To be fair, many, if not most, of their colony and asteroid drop plans did actually work. Side 3's core competency is somehow de-orbiting colossal things to murder people on Earth, but it's not like they're bad at it.

They missed the target most of the time, though. Like, killing people, they did that, but killing the people they wanted dead, less so.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

They missed the target most of the time, though. Like, killing people, they did that, but killing the people they wanted dead, less so.

The three body problem strikes again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The offscreen one before cca is the most successful isn't it. He hit the capital and gained all the concessions he wanted.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

chiasaur11 posted:

That's fair, but the colony drop in 0079 did gently caress up the Earth bad enough to kill half the people on it, 0083 went off as planned, and even Char's early asteroid drop in 0093 was fine, so that's 50/50 on the Aznables. It's almost too bad they didn't go back to that in Unicorn, have Full Frontal just arbitrarily slam a colony into Earth because that's what it takes to go full Zeon.

It must have owned growing up on Earth during that period, your entire childhood being defined by spacenoids hammering your planet with objects from space, I bet that poo poo got tiring after 14 years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think unicorn wanted to think that the federation rebuilding gryps was a horrible thing, but gently caress they were justified as far as I'm concerned. It does make me wonder why they didn't use it in f91 or victory

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The offscreen one before cca is the most successful isn't it. He hit the capital and gained all the concessions he wanted.

The Dublin Drop was also on target. Not quite so clear in its objectives, but at least it killed the people it meant to kill.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

"we'll give you this big meteor if you pinky swear not to drop it on us also"

"oh sure"

i'd say that was unrealistically stupid but we have president trump so it's actually too real

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In just about every instance post OYW that the Federation has taken on Zeon directly they've come out on top. It's a wonder they didn't just send the three dozen Gundam prototypes they'd probably had in storage to go wipe out Sweetwater when they had the chance.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

In just about every instance post OYW that the Federation has taken on Zeon directly they've come out on top. It's a wonder they didn't just send the three dozen Gundam prototypes they'd probably had in storage to go wipe out Sweetwater when they had the chance.

more than one gundam at a time means that they will inevitably try to kill each-other

it's like mecha highlander

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Federation's civilian leadership has never been known for good decisions. Military, mixed bag, you got your Brights and your Revils and your Blexes alongside your Basks and your Jamitovs, but where Zeon has mostly had nice, reasonable civilian government, Federation politicians have pretty much all been idiotic and self-serving assholes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Zeon has mostly had nice, reasonable civilian government

besides those times they were nazis

every other year some insane dingus with a giant mask helmet shows up and everything goes right to poo poo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

besides those times they were nazis

every other year some insane dingus with a giant mask helmet shows up and everything goes right to poo poo

That's the weird bit. Other than the Zabis, the Republic of Zeon is run by elected politicians who seem to have no particular love of large scale atrocities. (There was a bit in some material where Shin Matsunaga stepped down from an elected post, because he wanted to throw some support behind Gato's war crime brigade, and the rest of the senate went "What? No. gently caress no. That's stupid. Don't be stupid.")

It's just there's other groups loudly yelling how they're the REAL Zeon, and then they drop a colony on someone.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

maybe they should stop staffing their mobile suit divisions with genocidal war criminals

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the weird bit. Other than the Zabis, the Republic of Zeon is run by elected politicians who seem to have no particular love of large scale atrocities. (There was a bit in some material where Shin Matsunaga stepped down from an elected post, because he wanted to throw some support behind Gato's war crime brigade, and the rest of the senate went "What? No. gently caress no. That's stupid. Don't be stupid.")

It's just there's other groups loudly yelling how they're the REAL Zeon, and then they drop a colony on someone.

Maybe no particular love, but also no particular dislike of them, it seems.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because the Federation actually gets really worn down and weakened by constant war and its internal politcking renders what resistance it could effectively provide toothless.

Let's look at the timeline. In the OYW, the Federation basically conjures a global-sized mobile suit army to throw back and defeat Zeon. The Federation is united in purpose and is at the peak of its relative power. Then 0083 happens and schemers within the Federation military(Jamitov) deliberately let the GP-02 get stolen by Gato so that Gato can nuke an entire fleet of Federation soldiers who aren't aligned with the schemers, which in turn allows a colony drop that provides the schemers with the excuse to form the Titans. So then we get to 0087, where the Titans are so powerful and so loving evil that a significant segment of the Federation military has gone into open revolt and joined other malcontents to form the AEUG specifically to destroy the Titans. The Federation's primary military arms are now in open warfare with each other, with the actual Federation government having little practical influence over either side. The Titans and the AEUG fight to pretty much mutual annihilation, leaving both of these major segments of the Federation military effectively annihilated. Immediately after this, in 0088, Neo Zeon I invades the Earth. The Federation has no meaningful military left to resist because their army just blew itself up via civil war. The core of resistance to Neo Zeon is a ship full of out of date prototype suits piloted by children and some random leftovers like the remains of Karaba. At this point, higher ups in the Federation hierarchy are assuming that the war is pretty much over and now the best course of action is to find a place for themselves in the new regime and they do it by looking the other way about poo poo like the Dublin Drop while justifying it to themselves with awful terms like "population control" because at this point they're looking out for number one. Neo Zeon is beaten on the verge of total victory only because Glemy started the Neo Zeon Civil War and the faction devoured itself; the actions of the Argama were not important or decisive(even killing Haman didn't really change much, because by the time Judau killed Haman Neo Zeon's military had self-immolated). Basically, in ZZ the Federation only "won" at the 11th hour because their enemy destroyed itself completely unexpectedly.

So then we have CCA, set in 0093, less than 5 years after ZZ. At this point the Federation has weathered 14 years of nearly constant global war and atrocity. The Earth itself is such a hosed over wasteland that they are actually economically dependent on the space colonies instead of vice versa. Char loving Aznable appears wearing a Zeon uniform with a Zeon army and drops ANOTHER colony on the Earth just to prove that yes, it's him, and yes, he means business. From the Federation's perspective, this is like in a horror movie when the protagonists finally kill the murderer only for him to suddenly appear and stab someone out of nowhere. Char then says "Well, actually, I'm willing to negotiate instead of simply killing you all" while crossing his fingers behind his back, and the Federation officials desperately believe him at face value, especially since he's willing to make such a generous contribution to their election funds in the process. When it becomes apparent that Char is simply planning to murder the Earth, it's too late for any sort of mass Federation deployment which is why it's down to Londo Bell, a semi-autonomous military organization, to actually try to do something about it. Londo Bell even having the nukes to try to stop Axis is due to Cameron Bloom illegally giving them to Bright with the understanding that he's at the very least going to lose his job and at the very worst be thrown in prison for life for treason. The final conflict happens and even Londo Bell pretty much completely fails to stop Axis and the only reason why Earth is saved is because Amuro conjures a literal inexplicable miracle using the Nu Gundam.

Simply put, pretty much all of the Federation's post-OYW "victories" were down to completely random chance, totally unpredictable miracles, or their enemies destroying themselves. They are never portrayed as a powerful, unified force at any point after 0083.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 14, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But then neither are the Zeon remnants. They inevitably get their poo poo kicked in the moment a Federation taskforce deploys. The remnants are unified but even their most top of the line units can't compare with the Federation's frequent super prototypes. You'll get your Jagd Dogas and Kshatriyas and Sazabis built at great cost and have excellent performance, but it only takes the Federation getting on the phone with Anaheim or the Vist Foundation to get a suit specifically designed to gently caress these machines up sent over in a week.

It's a crumbling, fractious world government with an unstoppable but unmotivated military going up against a faction that is internally unified but cannot hope to standup to their opponent militarily.

And then they all starve and use guillotines while fighting the bug machines of the space colony SS mind bomb.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 14, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then neither are the Zeon remnants. They inevitably get their poo poo kicked in the moment a Federation taskforce deploys. The remnants are unified but even their most top of the line units can't compare with the Federation's frequent super prototypes. You'll get your Jagd Dogas and Kshatriyas and Sazabis built at great cost and have excellent performance, but it only takes the Federation getting on the phone with Anaheim or the Vist Foundation to get a suit specifically designed to gently caress these machines up sent over in a week.

It's a crumbling, fractious world government with an unstoppable but unmotivated military going up against a faction that is internally unified but cannot hope to standup to their opponent militarily.

And then they all starve and use guillotines while fighting the bug machines of the space colony SS mind bomb.

Zeon absolutely could compare to the Federation in Z/ZZ. The first Neo Zeon war was a very casual shitstomping where Axis simply whooped the poo poo out of the Federation mercilessly until Glemy did his stupid thing. It's just that by the time CCA is over almost all centralized Zeon power bases are gone so all that's left is a bunch of crazies living out in the wilderness maintaining their 20 year old Zaku IIs and grumbling about how this time it'll be different.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's kinda funny when you consider CCA; even if she failed, Haman still didn't leave Char with anything he could really use. I think she'd be pretty satisfied with that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

Zeon absolutely could compare to the Federation in Z/ZZ. The first Neo Zeon war was a very casual shitstomping where Axis simply whooped the poo poo out of the Federation mercilessly until Glemy did his stupid thing. It's just that by the time CCA is over almost all centralized Zeon power bases are gone so all that's left is a bunch of crazies living out in the wilderness maintaining their 20 year old Zaku IIs and grumbling about how this time it'll be different.

They still lost though. And at the end of the day that is what the federation remembers. It's a better propaganda line to say "zeon has lost every war they started" than to say "we nearly got wiped out after Neo Zeon swept into the power vacuum following the Gryps conflict".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did zeon proper have any involvement in any of the poo poo that happened post-OYW? my understanding was that zeon itself calmed down and sat things out while a bunch of assholes with crudely hand-made zeon flags co-opted the name to commit atrocities under

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They supported the Titans until the end of the gryps conflict. And there was a Hardline faction that was supposed to have been supporting the sleeves.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

did zeon proper have any involvement in any of the poo poo that happened post-OYW? my understanding was that zeon itself calmed down and sat things out while a bunch of assholes with crudely hand-made zeon flags co-opted the name to commit atrocities under

If you mean the colony known as the Republic of Zeon, no. Axis was lousy with highly ranked political and military officers from the Principality of Zeon, though, and was much more politically and militarily significant than one colony. You could probably call them the "real" Zeon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/vigwer/status/973941648076886017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

universal century board meetings must be a trip on either side

"guys, i think we should cut off the hitler division's funding"

"but they promised super hard they wouldn't do any war crimes this time"

"the guy who promised you that was literally named Joe "War Crimes" Hitler"

"he seemed super sincere"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there any significance to the logo/insignia on the Zakrello's..uh..shoulder?