Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I just have weird appreciation for the fact you paying Frank ¥200 and Frank paying you ¥200 are both potential outcomes for the exact same thing.

Also there's an update on the previous page. I've also started adding the most recent update to the top of the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The dance floor is a good place to learn that while sniping some scum down is fun it doesn't pay jack poo poo.(cash or karma)
Whenever you can avoid combat it's usually better.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, ideally you just want to run Eiger to the absolute far side of the map and let her do her thing, but sometimes the game doesn't like you doing that.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
To be honest, Green Winter sounded more like a toothpaste to me than a gum. But maybe I'm weird.
What I do like about this game; compared to the last one; is how your party jumps in with dialogue for certain choices. It makes them more real than the few actual characters and plenty of randoms that the last Shadowrun had. Of course, I only know about that game from your last LP so my information may be wrong.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny thing: Eiger is supposedly wearing a real leather jacket, but looking at her model she seems to be wearing a green jumpsuit with knee pads and an armoured vest. Glory supposedly has an armoured west, but her model shows no sign of it. Instead she wears baggy trousers and a jacket tied around her waist while going into combat shirtless. What made the developers do this?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can loan weapons to your runners, and it's almost always best to just give Eiger an AR.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I've never taken the Gang etiquette, so I've never seen that sequence! Eiger is awesome (while Dietrich continues to be awesome)!

I usually just go for the Intelligence thing. I don't think I raise Charisma beyond 4 though, especially since I don't build summoner/shamans.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Eiger posted:

Oh, and Frank? I *am* threatening you.

Hehe. I've never taken the Gang etiquette, so I'd not seen this interaction. That's delightful.

Also, I love how Glory's cyberware is this big mysterious thing and then Eiger's got a cyberarm and leg and it's not big deal.

edit: jinx.

painedforever posted:

I've never taken the Gang etiquette, so I've never seen that sequence! Eiger is awesome (while Dietrich continues to be awesome)!

Basically, this:

Kanfy posted:

Meanwhile Dietrich continues to be pretty much the best.
is essentially true at all times.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2018

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

Hehe. I've never taken the Gang etiquette, so I'd not seen this interaction. That's delightful.

Also, I love how Glory's cyberware is this big mysterious thing and then Eiger's got a cyberarm and leg and it's not big deal.

edit: jinx.
I've never taken Gang either, so that's new dialogue to me as well!

On the subject of cyberware, I think it's more about the fact that Glory uses really outdated ware. It's like Eiger's driving a Passat around while Glory shows up to the party in a smoke-spewing USSR-era Trabant. Raises some eyebrows. :iiaca:

Edit:

wiegieman posted:

Glory's not just using old hardware, she literally made an effort to damage her essence as much as possible.
Also true, but it's not immediately obvious unless you talk to her and get some backstory. The ware's age is something anyone can see.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 13, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glory's not just using old hardware, she literally made an effort to damage her essence as much as possible.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

wiegieman posted:

It's possible to damage it further, but it's extremely unlikely that she'd be walking around as a free agent afterward.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Don't ever apologise for having an update with talking and no fighting. I'm not saying that it's impossible to make an update that is too much conversation and too little action, but this game's strong writing is fun to read... at least for me.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

To be honest, Green Winter sounded more like a toothpaste to me than a gum. But maybe I'm weird.

To me it sounded like what Bob Ross would have named one of this paintings. Requiscat in pace, Bob.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Was wondering if it was a Wintermute reference/callout myself.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The gang etiquette choice for that talk with Frank is pretty good. Eiger might pretend she's a professional by-the-book hardass, but she's not above having a little fun from time to time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

cigaw posted:

On the subject of cyberware, I think it's more about the fact that Glory uses really outdated ware. It's like Eiger's driving a Passat around while Glory shows up to the party in a smoke-spewing USSR-era Trabant. Raises some eyebrows. :iiaca:

I forget if it ever comes up in-game, but I'm pretty sure Eiger's is strictly a prosthetic meant as a replacement for a lost limb, as opposed to cutting edge post-human murdertech.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
N-thing the love for the party conversation jumping, it feels like the team actually has your back and is interested in what's going on. You can tell HBS really listened to the feedback from the first game on this one.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

The gang etiquette choice for that talk with Frank is pretty good. Eiger might pretend she's a professional by-the-book hardass, but she's not above having a little fun from time to time.

If I remember my Shadowrun lore correctly, shadowrunners tend to look down on gangers as a lower class of criminal. So she is still being a professional hardass.

And totally yanking his chain.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the TF2 sniper quote would go great with Eiger: "Feelings?!
Professionals have standards."

But yea, most Shadowrun teams try and mark themselves above the average ganger, mostly because they're doing it for "the big bucks" or "real money".

Meanwhile the average ganger has a 10-20 times longer lifespan.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

wiegieman posted:

You can loan weapons to your runners, and it's almost always best to just give Eiger an AR.

Giving her your freebie AK is a good way to give her a free power boost in this regard.

Also, I do my damnedest to get every cram I can get here and anywhere else.

Dem drugs are awesome :okpos:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mauman posted:

Giving her your freebie AK is a good way to give her a free power boost in this regard.

Also, I do my damnedest to get every cram I can get here and anywhere else.

Dem drugs are awesome :okpos:

The most altruistic of motives.

"If I help this orc get off drugs... then there will be more drugs for me!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess you're going to have a more static team for this adventure? I do like these conversations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

I guess you're going to have a more static team for this adventure? I do like these conversations.

Well, you can. There's set party members who are available free for every mission, but there are also mercs with no dialog you can hire instead.

Not much reason to, given how the core team is much more fun, but it's your call.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Helping Silke is probably one of my favorite moments in this game :unsmith:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

chiasaur11 posted:

The most altruistic of motives.

"If I help this orc get off drugs... then there will be more drugs for me!"

drat straight :smug:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I've said it before but having a proper crew of people with actual personalities is in my opinion the single biggest improvement from DMS. Coyote was the closest that game got to a "proper" party member, but even she had the depth of cardboard at best compared to the Dragonfall and Hong Kong crews. We're definitely not going to be hiring another boring nobody ever again, I can assure you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Coyote loving owned and I miss her and it would have improved that game a ton if she was even a little more of a person

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also I was thinking including some of the meaner dialogue stuff in the thread since most people probably never see those but they don't all fit in the LP either.

So just for you

U.T. Raptor posted:

Helping Silke is probably one of my favorite moments in this game :unsmith:

Here's Rosa the Jerk promising Silke cram and then just turning around and leaving:

quote:

Kroner is a drekstain. I'll hook you up with some cram, free of charge.

[The young woman gives you a wary look.]

What's the catch? ...'Cause if you're tryin' to make the same offer that HE just did...

I'm not that desperate.

Oh... okay...

[The junkie's face floods with a mixture of surprise and relief.]

...So then, like, what DO you want?

I've got some questions about Das Kesselhaus-Hotel. I'm hoping that you've got some answers.

The, uh, the cram... it's 150 nuyen. That's what Kroner charges. Go ahead and ask him if you don't believe me.

On second thought, I don't have time for this. I'm leaving.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Plenty of rear end in a top hat opportunities in this game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

KataraniSword posted:

I forget if it ever comes up in-game, but I'm pretty sure Eiger's is strictly a prosthetic meant as a replacement for a lost limb, as opposed to cutting edge post-human murdertech.

She has an Azzie leg. That's good for kicking a dude's nuts up and out through his mouth. Nobody ever comments on it, though, so its probably covered in synthskin.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
As much of a crapsack world the setting is, it makes the moments of stupid altruism the player can engage in feel more emotionally rewarding. This feels really well written by people that understand not only player motivation but the consequences the setting hits you with for actions.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
there's a few different RPGs besides actual shadowrun that focus on cyberpunk, but all of them tend to focus on that kind of "small interactions give meaning to your world" feeling.

I mean, no matter how bad-rear end your runner gets, you're not going to be able to change the fact that the world, at large, is a poo poo-hole. But you can at least take care of the few people around you, and that is drat powerful, at least to give you enough hope to get to tomorrow's trouble.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Started playing this 'cos of the LP. Got a little bit ahead of where we are so far.

I had to stop for a minute from laughing too hard when that actually worked. I hope that's not considered spoilers but I'm just high on mirth right now. This game has all the little touches.

Looking forward to seeing all the things I've inevitably missed after the fact!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Started playing this 'cos of the LP. Got a little bit ahead of where we are so far.

I had to stop for a minute from laughing too hard when that actually worked. I hope that's not considered spoilers but I'm just high on mirth right now. This game has all the little touches.

Looking forward to seeing all the things I've inevitably missed after the fact!

Good to hear it, helping more people discover these cool games makes it all worth it.

And I know exactly what you're talking about, we'll get there in the next update. That is, once I'm done cursing the fact that DF introduced a small screen shake effect on gunshots which makes it that much more annoying to include muzzle flashes to combat screenshots. Furthermore the snappier camera reduces the amount of usable frames especially in gifs and :rant:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also I've added all the music links so far to the second post because I dunno, gotta use that space for something I guess. Now you can listen to some sick Shadowrun tunes conveniently and without potential Youtube spoilers!

It's a good soundtrack, though we haven't gotten to most of the real bangers yet.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, been playing through this again too. I love how the Safehouse song is really just a slowed down version of the first town's song from SNES Shadowrun.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I really wish that they'd released the safehouse version of Blood Hounds as a standalone track.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

I really wish that they'd released the safehouse version of Blood Hounds as a standalone track.

I always found it a little funny how they never used that part in DMS but did opt to use the combat version of it in that graveyard fight.

It's a lot more recognizable if you go back to DMS after playing Dragonfall.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I've said it before but having a proper crew of people with actual personalities is in my opinion the single biggest improvement from DMS. Coyote was the closest that game got to a "proper" party member, but even she had the depth of cardboard at best compared to the Dragonfall and Hong Kong crews. We're definitely not going to be hiring another boring nobody ever again, I can assure you.

One thing i have to give Dragonfall rando-mercenaries: They are really good mechanics-wise. In DMS you had the decent story cardboards (Paco, Shannon, Coyote etc.) lame randos and that cheater Falk (who was the one guy compentent at his job). In Dragonfall i have a whole family of competent Falks. With cardboard background, too, in some cases.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
The rando runners are probably for people who replay the game and want to experiment with unusual party combinations. Of course the actual permanent party members are the first choice, but then you never get to do wacky things like see how mission X goes with like four mages tossing two lightning bolts every round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FrankZP posted:

The rando runners are probably for people who replay the game and want to experiment with unusual party combinations. Of course the actual permanent party members are the first choice, but then you never get to do wacky things like see how mission X goes with like four mages tossing two lightning bolts every round.
There's also open-world fanmodules for that, since they're usually pretty free with who you can hire.