Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

This owns.

e: ice cube dog tax

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

How does the '18 senate midterm map look with every state bluer than PA-18?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

What exactly does that map represent? Districts dems have currently flipped/won?

Dems win every seat that is more Dem-friendly than the one they just won.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Blind Rasputin posted:

What exactly does that map represent? Districts dems have currently flipped/won?

It extrapolates tonight's results nationally. There are over 100 districts that are held by republicans which are MORE blue than PA-18 which democrats just won. If we flipped all of those (and not a single district that is more red than PA-18) you would end up with that map.

That's not a particularly likely scenario, but the reality it presents showcases just how disastrous continued results like tonight represent for Republicans come november.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Giving the Dems everything R+11 or better, Dems lose ND, WY, UT, NE, TN and win everything else.

I think that's sort of nuts though and unlikely given ND is held by a Dem and TN is open with a good challenger.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know what I love more about that map, the GOP getting wiped out in California/New York/New Jersey (only 3 out of 92 seats) or seeing several GOP gerrymanders imploding in Texas/Virginia/North Carolina/South Carolina/Florida/Ohio.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lmao

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Blind Rasputin posted:

PA18 and every district which is bluer than it is.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Jarmak posted:

Going by Trump+20 rather than R+11 you get this:

Nebraska and Tennessee end up being coin tosses just like PA-18 was, we lose North Dakota (likely) and West Virginia (less likely, democrats are favored to win this seat currently), and every other seat turns blue.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Has anyone done any analysis on what a blue wave would do to state houses? I would think the most important thing would be to control the maps for the 2020 census and unfuck these gerrymandered districts.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/PoliticalKathy/status/973697193860218885

i don't know i think she may be on to something...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The thing with gerrymanders is they get hosed by wave elections. So state houses and the House of Reps could be really interesting.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

The thing with gerrymanders is they get hosed by wave elections. So state houses and the House of Reps could be really interesting.

*looks at the VA House of Delegates*

Yep. We had a DSA member win in a red district and it went from a GOP supermajority to a 1-seat GOP majority that was decided by literally drawing a film canister out of a bowl.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

*clicks link, looks at twitter feed*

Wow, that is a lot of crazy or just someone playing the part to milk idiots for money.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zil posted:

*clicks link, looks at twitter feed*

Wow, that is a lot of crazy or just someone playing the part to milk idiots for money.

Lot of misinfo too. Basically saying that only Allegehny counted absentees instead of the two most populated counties.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Chadderbox posted:

Here, with a better link. I wasn't sure whether or not it was true since Daily Mail.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/14/stephen-hawking-professor-dies-aged-76

:(

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

UEGENT!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It's worth remembering that the GOP did not enjoy any incumbency advantage in this election. To win the house, the Democrats will need to actual unseat GOP representatives.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Heavy favorite Lamb barely beat Sacconi despite his GREAT efforts! Low energy Lamb!!! Too bad the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is STEALING this district anyway in November! Supreme Court challenge?
Trump, probably

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I swear they have a loving script for every loving election they don't win in a blowout. "IT VOTED KILLARY INSTEAD OF TRUMP EVEN THOUGH I HIT THE TRUMP BUTTON WITH MY GIANT DICK #MAGA"

Like the old lady at the Saccone rally saying there was "monkey business at the poll"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/973751486332194818

We couldn't be arsed to tell the truth and do our loving jobs when people tried to lie to us, so Republican dominated the spin wars. Congrats to them on their victory and on us, as an industry, for being neutral observers and not passively abetting this nonsense.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

It's worth remembering that the GOP did not enjoy any incumbency advantage in this election. To win the house, the Democrats will need to actual unseat GOP representatives.

SHucks? Is that you?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

canepazzo posted:

I swear they have a loving script for every loving election they don't win in a blowout. "IT VOTED KILLARY INSTEAD OF TRUMP EVEN THOUGH I HIT THE TRUMP BUTTON WITH MY GIANT DICK #MAGA"

Like the old lady at the Saccone rally saying there was "monkey business at the poll"

It's either that or democrats are bussing in people from out of state, etc. It's really tiresome how no one loses an election anymore, just has it stolen from them.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/973751486332194818

We couldn't be arsed to tell the truth and do our loving jobs when people tried to lie to us, so Republican dominated the spin wars. Congrats to them on their victory and on us, as an industry, for being neutral observers and not passively abetting this nonsense.

Denial is not the best thing to have going into midterms. They need to right the ship now and avoiding the problem isn’t going to fix it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

SHucks? Is that you?

But he is absolutely right. Not that tonight isn't good news. But the folks going "300 seats! flip the senate!" need to pump the breaks a bit. There is a massive difference in terms of open seats versus incumbents even in wave years:
https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/house/house-overview/democrats-could-use-few-more-gop-house-retirements

In a wave year (i.e., a year where a lot of seats flip) incumbents won 59% of the time in districts where the PVI was 0-5 AGAINST them (versus 0% for the incumbent party in an open race in a similar district).

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lote posted:

Denial is not the best thing to have going into midterms. They need to right the ship now and avoiding the problem isn’t going to fix it.

I'm aiming for panic and disarray that slowly settle into despondency by November, personally.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This just makes me think of how everyone was gaga over Show Me How To Dougie Jones and then he went on to vote with the Rs for like 4 or 5 votes in a row before he finally made a not terrible vote. But it's okay, pop culture!

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah the actual swing in November will (probably, I hope I’m wrong) not be this big. But I’m not trying to shot on the parade. This is a rare good day.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

empty whippet box posted:

"Eat the salad, Rex."

*spreads butt cheeks*

Eat, not toss

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

This just makes me think of how everyone was gaga over Show Me How To Dougie Jones and then he went on to vote with the Rs for like 4 or 5 votes in a row before he finally made a not terrible vote. But it's okay, pop culture!

Yeah real bummer Lamb won huh

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Turns out she's just dumb and doesn't understand ticking the slot next to Lamb means you voted for Lamb

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

DrNutt posted:

It's "Teach Me How to Dougie." But that's totally okay, black pop culture am I rite?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The GOP could just take their spin directly from this thread.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

canepazzo posted:

The GOP could just take their spin directly from this thread.

Nobody in this thread would be able to effectively appeal to well-to-do white suburban racists who are deeply afraid of anybody darker than them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

joepinetree posted:

But he is absolutely right. Not that tonight isn't good news. But the folks going "300 seats! flip the senate!" need to pump the breaks a bit. There is a massive difference in terms of open seats versus incumbents even in wave years:
https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/house/house-overview/democrats-could-use-few-more-gop-house-retirements

In a wave year (i.e., a year where a lot of seats flip) incumbents won 59% of the time in districts where the PVI was 0-5 AGAINST them (versus 0% for the incumbent party in an open race in a similar district).

Luckily, Republicans are getting rid of the incumbency advantage by either resigning in disgrace or being primaries by slobbering shrieking raging baboons.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

DrNutt posted:

God forbid you actually Google the lyrics of a hip hop song you're negatively referencing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Conservatives complaining about electronic voting booths that were championed and defended entirely by conservatives is really fun. I love being politically aware, it is great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Poor Steve Kornacki. Dude's gonna just loving run to PA-18 and poll everyone himself to see who won at this point.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Poor Steve Kornacki. Dude's gonna just loving run to PA-18 and poll everyone himself to see who won at this point.

Holy poo poo hes still on live? I stopped watching like two hours ago and he was asking a lady over the phone how long it would take for absentee ballots, I assume he hasn't got them yet hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Johnny Bravo posted:

Holy poo poo hes still on live? I stopped watching like two hours ago and he was asking a lady over the phone how long it would take for absentee ballots, I assume he hasn't got them yet hah

They've gone to tape now, but he's on standby to break in live if they ever call the drat thing one way or the other.

• Locked thread