Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

r u ready to WALK posted:

I like how UAC on a server locks you out of directories that you would normally have access to on a server through the Administrators group unless you browse the file system from a remote machine because it is impossible to launch an Explorer window with elevated permissions. Instead, Explorer asks if you want to gently caress up file permissions by making GBS threads a new ACL with your username in it all over the existing files.

But wait!

Just start notepad.exe as administrator, go to file->open and browse the entire file system through the convenient dialog box, you have access to everything then!

Windows 10 does the same thing with the System32 folder. If you want to edit the hosts file, and you are a local admin, just opening the file with Notepad won't work, as you can't save. Opening Notepad with admin rights (what's the use of having admin rights when you have to manually select the option to run a program as an admin?) will then allow you to edit and save the hosts file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what a bunch of bad posts for what could have been a nice page

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You Am I posted:

(what's the use of having admin rights when you have to manually select the option to run a program as an admin?)

it's so if you get exploited, the ability to have meaningful and lasting damage done to the system is limited

back in the windows xp days when every application you ran had full admin rights poo poo was really bad all around

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
i laugh when Linux nerds install sudo and log in as unprivileged user most the time, I just log in to root and type startx and get going, i dont need my computer telling me what i can and can't do

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreedo

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

univbee posted:

it's so if you get exploited, the ability to have meaningful and lasting damage done to the system is limited

back in the windows xp days when every application you ran had full admin rights poo poo was really bad all around

i like how notepad++ tells me i need admin privileges to save a file, and asks if I want to restart it in admin mode. then when i say yes and click the uac prompt, it reopens with the file I was trying to save. i guess it saves it temporarily in userspace while restarting and remembers the privileged uri i was trying to save to

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like your operating system is a piece of poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/sinfullpotato/status/973156627338719232?s=21

this made my day

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
your welcome kevin

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

i used xp as a non-admin user from the start. i got into the habit from using windows 2000 as a non-admin user

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

i used xp as a non-admin user from the start. i got into the habit from using windows 2000 as a non-admin user

a big part of microsoft’s reason for the shift was also to get program developers to stop expecting admin access to everything

of course i still had vendors years later baffled our windows 2008 terminal server didn’t give everyone full admin rights with uac disabled

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

i laugh when Linux nerds install sudo and log in as unprivileged user most the time, I just log in to root and type startx and get going, i dont need my computer telling me what i can and can't do

on Linux it makes sense to always run as root since you don't have the scenario you do in windows where a user runs notavirus.exe and UAC can protect them from themselves.

On Linux you would have done "sudo notavirus" anyway so they idea that sudo is protecting you is a joke.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

for a while I couldn't figure out why my notepad++ files weren't saving and it turns out ms decided my user folder required top secret security and was just silently denying access for months

ms is absolute garbage

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have to use lync at work and it lags an i5 to the point of not being able to type

a chat program lags the computer so much I can't type. a+ work there ms

*audio crackles, computer freezes*
Your computer is causing poor audio quality.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

teamspeak with 200 people in the channel in tyool 2004 was better than this rancid poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

for a while I couldn't figure out why my notepad++ files weren't saving and it turns out ms decided my user folder required top secret security and was just silently denying access for months

ms is absolute garbage

no it didn't. you hosed with the permissions and broke it yourself.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why would i ever have to mess with permissions on my user folder? what terrible OS would require such a thing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it would also fail silently, again, when running programs from the /user/downloads folder

i download an excel file and open it, error popup says it's "corrupted"
nope, just need to go into the file properties > advanced > other advanced > security > advanced > advanced security > security and check "allow program"

microsoft is clownshoes

anyway i switched to steveos and haven't had any stupid microsoft problems. thank you for listening

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thanks for your microsoft fanfic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason windows would ever change your user folder permissions.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

every time i realize office is still not distributed as an msi i lol

luv to not be able to deploy software w/ gpo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

theres no reason windows would ever change your user folder permissions.

and yet we’re still in this terrible pickle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

every time i realize office is still not distributed as an msi i lol

luv to not be able to deploy software w/ gpo

no, it is, but only the expensive version

proplus is msi based, everything else is ctr

there is also a ctr version of proplus

and you can package ctr+xml deployment files and deploy them via gpo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

no, it is, but only the expensive version

proplus is msi based, everything else is ctr

there is also a ctr version of proplus

and you can package ctr+xml deployment files and deploy them via gpo
there is an msi package which installs the ctr version and if you haven't figured that out yet you aren't a very good computer janitor imho

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anthonypants posted:

there is an msi package which installs the ctr version and if you haven't figured that out yet you aren't a very good computer janitor imho

orly where? because i dont see poo poo online that isnt "make a batch file and have it be a logon script" or other garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

you aren't a very good computer janitor imho

not that that's anything to aspire to, but most of the problems in this thread are straight up "halp! i'm not very good with computar"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

orly where? because i dont see poo poo online that isnt "make a batch file and have it be a logon script" or other garbage
go here and click on the "install toolkit" link in the sidebar

"halp! i'm not very good with computar"
this is anyone who is mad at not being able to install software via gpo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
here's an el reg article about some patches from yesterday breaking virtual windows servers https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/microsoft_secures_the_servers_of_the_world/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

here's an el reg article about some patches from yesterday breaking virtual windows servers https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/microsoft_secures_the_servers_of_the_world/

our dev system vms got hit lol, apparently 1/4 of the 15000 active vms in the farm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qa? gently caress that, let the devs test it!

why the gently caress are we paying people who can't program to work on software?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

anyway i switched to steveos and haven't had any stupid microsoft problems. thank you for listening

🙏

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

qa? gently caress that, let the devs test it!

why the gently caress are we paying people who can't program to work on software?

MS are morons. testing can't be fully automated until yo u can simulate humanity and their massive fuckups

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anthonypants posted:

go here and click on the "install toolkit" link in the sidebar
this is anyone who is mad at not being able to install software via gpo

so a third party wrapper that also only works on pro plus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

so a third party wrapper that also only works on pro plus

it says proplus but it works with whatever product you select in the configuration

and officedev is 1st party microsoft, just on github

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Last Chance posted:

MS are morons. testing can't be fully automated until yo u can simulate humanity and their massive fuckups

I’m sure whatever dingus responsible got a nice bonus for making the numbers look good on paper. fat and organizationally ill corporation comfortable in the fact that they’re entrenched, so they poo poo on customers. insulting but it doesn’t matter I guess, they don’t need to do much to exist. how many more bungled products and annoyed users will it take for them to fall off?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

it says proplus but it works with whatever product you select in the configuration

and officedev is 1st party microsoft, just on github

lmao jesus christ

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

should we just like, make our installer an msi?

gently caress no create a separate click to run application on github that mashes an xml and exe file together to create an unsigned msi that can then be deployed!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao jesus christ
yeah i get that reaction from your posts too

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anthonypants posted:

yeah i get that reaction from your posts too

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao jesus christ

yeah.. i'm not defending this poo poo.