Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does Samsung pay work where Apple Pay does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

VelociBacon posted:

It mimics a card swipe so at least in theory it should work on most terminals.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

VelociBacon posted:

It works in even more places, actually.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Since the EMV switchover started in the US, many merchants had to replace their credit card terminals. Many of these new terminals support the NFC payment systems such as ApplePay and AndroidPay and in some cases the merchant doesn't even know it.

I've ran into more than a few places where AndroidPay worked and the cashiers didn't know, nor was there any signage saying they accepted it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I ordered a pizza at a place that hadn’t enabled the chip reader. Instead, I waved my card at the thing. They started to give me the usual speech about the chip reader not being enabled yet, then they were amazed when it worked. It’s pretty dumb that they would have NFC up but not the EMV.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

I ordered a pizza at a place that hadn’t enabled the chip reader. Instead, I waved my card at the thing. They started to give me the usual speech about the chip reader not being enabled yet, then they were amazed when it worked. It’s pretty dumb that they would have NFC up but not the EMV.

At work we accidentally discovered our terminals supported NFC long before the EMV switchover. Our CC processor updated the software in the background to enable it and never bothered to tell anyone.

And when we bought our new EMV capable terminals, the only mention of NFC support was a single sentence buried in the middle of the implementation document. If this is indicative of how other CC processors handled it, then it is of no surprise to me that many retailers don't even know they support it. I also discovered Apple and Google both will send you free POS signage and stickers if you ask.

And of course SamsungPay should technically work with any magstripe reader. They use an electromagnet coil in the phone to simulate the magnetic pulses from the mag stripe on a credit card. When you use it, as far as the CC terminal is concerned, you swiped a credit card.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always enjoy using Android Google Pay to buy things that are over the limit for a contactless card and having the employee smugly tell me it won't work and then pulling out an even bigger smug face when it goes through just fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tunga posted:

I always enjoy using Android Google Pay to buy things that are over the limit for a contactless card and having the employee smugly tell me it won't work and then pulling out an even bigger smug face when it goes through just fine.

Cashiers don't get paid enough to give a poo poo about how their POS terminals work.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Tunga posted:

Doing it with Samsung Pay at Walmart or another place that doesn't even take tap is even more nerdsmug.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Godinster posted:

Doing it with Samsung Pay at Walmart or another place that doesn't even take tap is even more nerdsmug.
My country stopped using magnets to make payments a decade ago :smug: .

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Tunga posted:

Canada in general did too but Walmart, Home Depot, Banana Republic and a few others still don't support tap. In Walmart's case I doubt they ever will.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tunga posted:

The ALDIs here have chip-enabled card readers, and have physically blocked all of the chip readers because it's slower. They'd rather have faster swipes and eat the loss to fraud than slow down checkout by having a chip read.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The magstrip emulating thing being proprietary Samsung tech really sounds like it sucks for the US

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Samsung bought the LoopPay guys and used their "MST" technology in Samsung Pay. It is such a cool system that they must have patents on it or something because nobody else tries to mimic it.

What's really cool is when you figure out how it works. A card's magnetic strip has multiple channels on it that store your credit card information. The POS terminal will have a sensor that can detect magnetic changes. When you swipe your card, you are running your strip across that sensor and it reads the changes in magnetism. Kind of like a needle reading an old record.

So what the phone does is sends magnetic pulses towards the POS terminal, and the sensor sees change in magnetism just like if you swiped your card. But there is one big problem: your credit card has multiple tracks that all contain necessary information. You can only send one track at a time.

Luckily for them, POS terminals are over-engineered to support the worst consumer bad habits. Let's say you are the average dumb consumer who finds it very difficult to operate a POS machine. You swipe your card down, then up. The down swipe was really bad and the machine was only able to read track 1. The up swipe then read track 2 reversed. The POS terminal is smart enough to put both tracks from both swipes together for a full card read. So all MST does is sends track 1, then track 2 reversed, to take advantage of this. And it works!

Somebody actually made an Arduino implementation of MST. This page is really cool and explains how everything works:

https://samy.pl/magspoof/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Godinster posted:

Canada in general did too but Walmart, Home Depot, Banana Republic and a few others still don't support tap. In Walmart's case I doubt they ever will.
Not even talking about contactless, just Chip & PIN. Using the magnetic strip on a card and signing for a payment is now considered so archaic that if you ever have to do it (because the payment provider has a problem or something) the cashier will basically spend the entire time apologising to you for making you sign for your purchase like a caveman while they also try to remember how the hell they even do a signature based transaction. This has happened to me no more than three or four times in the last ten years. One time I realised I'd actually been carrying around an unsigned card for the last year because it's basically a pointless feature of the back of the card now.

Twerk from Home posted:

The ALDIs here have chip-enabled card readers, and have physically blocked all of the chip readers because it's slower. They'd rather have faster swipes and eat the loss to fraud than slow down checkout by having a chip read.
I'm guessing this is that dumb Chip & Sign system though? Proper Chip & PIN is extremely fast and easy. America is just bad at this poo poo.

Sorry, getting a bit off topic I guess.

So, Android P, anyone tried it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tunga posted:

I'm guessing this is that dumb Chip & Sign system though? Proper Chip & PIN is extremely fast and easy. America is just bad at this poo poo.

How would Americans use chip and PIN when 90% of us have never even had the option to ever set a PIN on our credit cards? Of the 4 credit cards I carry around, none ever have had a PIN set.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

How would Americans use chip and PIN when 90% of us have never even had the option to ever set a PIN on our credit cards? Of the 4 credit cards I carry around, none ever have had a PIN set.

This. My old card was apparently set up for it and caused trouble at readers that supported chip and pin, but I had no way to set one. I actually had to fall back to swipe.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

Not even talking about contactless, just Chip & PIN. Using the magnetic strip on a card and signing for a payment is now considered so archaic that if you ever have to do it (because the payment provider has a problem or something) the cashier will basically spend the entire time apologising to you for making you sign for your purchase like a caveman while they also try to remember how the hell they even do a signature based transaction. This has happened to me no more than three or four times in the last ten years. One time I realised I'd actually been carrying around an unsigned card for the last year because it's basically a pointless feature of the back of the card now.

It's weird how often this derail happens in the Android thread.

An actual quote from an anonymous card issuer in the USA:

quote:

We don’t really think we can teach Americans to do two things at once. So we’re going to start with teaching them how to dip, and if we have another watershed event like the Target breach and consumers start clamoring for PIN, then we’ll adjust.

Anyway, a lot more on the subject from Brian Krebs here: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/10/chip-pin-vs-chip-signature/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

If only there was a way to set a PIN. I guess this is just too insurmountable a problem to overcome.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
That and it is far more common for Americans to have several cards. Anecdotal, sure, but in my travels my European buddies usually just have a single bank card, while my American friends usually have 5 or 6 cards.

Hell, I have 6 credit cards in my wallet right now, not including bank cards that can act like credit cards. And I don't even go out of my way to have extra special cards.

So, telling Americans they now have to remember all those PINs would be madness.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hate to derail the "here's how I pay for stuff" chat, but has anyone's battery life been absolute dogshit since the Feb security update (continuing through the March update)? My Pixel (1) has started dropping battery percentage like it's its job. I'm not seeing any runaway apps, haven't installed anything new, and I'm aware of one other person (SA user deong) who's seeing the same thing, so I'm not sure what the gently caress is up all of a sudden.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

XIII posted:

Hate to derail the "here's how I pay for stuff" chat, but has anyone's battery life been absolute dogshit since the Feb security update (continuing through the March update)? My Pixel (1) has started dropping battery percentage like it's its job. I'm not seeing any runaway apps, haven't installed anything new, and I'm aware of one other person (SA user deong) who's seeing the same thing, so I'm not sure what the gently caress is up all of a sudden.

My Pixel 2 was experiencing pretty lovely battery life after the Feb update, but it was also around that time that I started loving around with Xposed on the phone. A factory reset fixed it, and even after the March update I haven't noticed any battery shenanigans, so it's equally likely that I caused the drain myself by screwing around too much.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

My Pixel 2 was experiencing pretty lovely battery life after the Feb update, but it was also around that time that I started loving around with Xposed on the phone. A factory reset fixed it, and even after the March update I haven't noticed any battery shenanigans, so it's equally likely that I caused the drain myself by screwing around too much.

Yeah, I'm considering doing a factory reset, but would prefer not to. It doesn't take too long to get everything back up and running (and I've got the free time at work), but it's still annoying.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

XIII posted:

Yeah, I'm considering doing a factory reset, but would prefer not to. It doesn't take too long to get everything back up and running (and I've got the free time at work), but it's still annoying.

Just make sure if you're using your phone for 2FA at all, like I am, to account for that before wiping the phone, like I didn't do.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
During the latest bout of New England snowstorms, I totally lost cell service at my house but still had WiFi. So I maintain the fact that I like Allo as an app, because if my friends had tried to text or call me, I wouldn't have gotten poo poo, but since Allo uses data, I was still able to get out of the house and go do poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

During the latest bout of New England snowstorms, I totally lost cell service at my house but still had WiFi. So I maintain the fact that I like Allo as an app, because if my friends had tried to text or call me, I wouldn't have gotten poo poo, but since Allo uses data, I was still able to get out of the house and go do poo poo.

If you would just buy Samsungs from your carrier instead of whatever unlocked phone you currently use, wifi calling and texting has been working flawlessly for a while now. I've always had Wifi calling be pretty finicky on the unlocked phones I've had, though (Moto G5+ currently).

Verizon operates their own legitimate iMessage competitor that they have preloaded on all their phones as crapware, too. You'd be surprised how many people just use that, and the install base there is more than 80 million people vs the dozens of Allo users.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

Pixel 1 here and after Feb I had another friend ask about the same thing.. anecdotal but it seems like Feb security update started the problem.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So there is a new phone on Indiegogo right now called the Light Phone 2. This phone aims to help you disconnect from the distractions and complexity a modern smartphone brings. They call this "going light"!

The phone has an e-ink display, a modified version of Android, and very very few features...

quote:

Features that will be on the phone:
Calling, messaging, contacts, alarm, auto-reply

May become features:
Directions, ride-sharing, playlists, weather, voice commands, calculator or dictionary? (Not sure why they added the ?, sounds like they're spitballing ideas)

Will not be possible:
Social media, advertising, email, news

Boy, that sounds like a pretty simple phone! But what about the actual specs?

quote:

PROPOSED SPECIFICATIONS
Dimensions: 91mm x 55mm x 6.5-7.5mm thick
Connectivity: 4G LTE, Wifi, GPS
Memory: 1 GB DDR3 RAM / 8GB eMMC (what is the point of 8gb of storage if it doesn't do apps or media?)
Sensor: Proximity
Battery: 500mAh
Color: Black/White
Material: Anodized Aluminum
Weight: 80g (estimation)
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 Platform
Display: E-Ink
Battery: 5 days standby; A few hours talk time. (seems like an important detail to leave out of a phone that's meant for pretty much that function alone)
SIM Card: Nano SIM
Connector: USB-C
Language: English
Other: Vibrator (lol), Loud Speaker, Headset jack

Well that doesn't sound too bad if its purpose is to be as simple as possible. Okay, maybe a little bit discouraging.

What about the price?? When does it come out?

quote:

PRICING
$250 - you will be one of the first to get the Light Phone 2 ($150 saving!). $400 once released to the public.

The Light Phone 2 will begin shipping by April of 2019 (one year from the completion of the campaign). Because of the three different models for the various regions globally, different models (A, B, or C) might ship slightly earlier or later than April of 2019. We will share more exact timelines as we kick off our testing/certification phases, as the timing may vary between models.

lol wow, gently caress off with this poo poo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/light-phone-2-smartphone-design#/

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 14, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lmao are they kidding

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like how it's a super simple device that only does calls and SMS.

Then they feature creep only "useful" additions.

But not, like, what any individual person would find useful, just what they deem would be useful.

Why SMS, not email? Why weather, not news?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a v cool idea but should be half its pre-release price.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

At least they're self aware.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is one of the things I like about using Google Voice.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
That Light Phone would be an awesome punishment phone for kids if the price was rock-bottom.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Honestly I like the idea of having an e-ink display. Haven't heard about the Yota Phone in a while, feel like they had the first idea incorporating an e-ink display on the back of the phone.

Also has the refresh rate of e-ink gotten better? My Kindle Paperwhite would be v. lovely as a smartphone display/touchscreen.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Is WiFi calling not a thing in the USA? I'm on EE in the UK and my phone (Pixel 2 XL) routes voice and SMS over WiFi if there's bad/no cell signal. It's natively supported by the network and handset, no apps or anything needed.

That said, I don't really text anyway, almost everyone I know is on WhatsApp.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CFox posted:

That Light Phone would be an awesome punishment phone for kids if the price was rock-bottom.

"I swear to loving God; if you break the screen on your replacement SE, you're getting a Light phone."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chippy posted:

Is WiFi calling not a thing in the USA? I'm on EE in the UK and my phone (Pixel 2 XL) routes voice and SMS over WiFi if there's bad/no cell signal. It's natively supported by the network and handset, no apps or anything needed.

Wifi calling works fine on a Pixel 2 on T-Mobile in the U.S., but not SMS (unless I'm missing some setting or plan feature somewhere). I'm sure some/many prepaid lines or other carrier plans don't have wifi calling, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

chippy posted:

It's a thing; but not until the last 2-3 years. Most people still don't know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Light Phone is pretty cool but yeah, loving lol at that asking price.