Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm not sure what the fat tub of goo that was his first opponent was doing, but Wakaichiro won his first match in Sandanme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iksZl6FeIyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm hoping for a solid Kakuryu yusho if he can keep going, but honestly all the top ranked guys are capable of doing well this time out. I just don't want to see any more injuries. Tochinoshin is looking pretty solid still in spite of whatever he's nursing which pleases me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'll have day 1 standings up later, but for formality's sake, I'm going to trade Chiyotairyu for Tochinoshin.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fryhtaning posted:

I will never stop marveling at Tochinoshin's lower body build. Takarafuji is as lean and buff as a sumo wrestler comes, and Tochinoshin's lower half absolutely dwarfs Takarafuji's.

I was trying to be "witty" by translating some Sir Mix-a-lot to Georgian, but it kept telling me that the baby was returning.

Dude has some big thighs. His arms and shoulders are looking bigger this year, too.

I wish there was a way to determine what was muscle and what was fat.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, here are the Day 1 standings:

code:
anakha		3
Fluffdaddy	3
Fryhtaning	2
Kanthulu	4
Kenning		3
Kikkoman	0
Martytoof	5
ratmosphere	3
Rigel		3
sivad		3
Vargatron	3
Looking forward to seeing what's going on in Osaka today!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kenning posted:

Okay, here are the Day 1 standings:

code:
anakha		3
Fluffdaddy	3
Fryhtaning	2
Kanthulu	4
Kenning		3
Kikkoman	0
Martytoof	5
ratmosphere	3
Rigel		3
sivad		3
Vargatron	3
Looking forward to seeing what's going on in Osaka today!

Martytoof... on top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaaZZN9VYs

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ichinojo looks really tough now that he seems to actually be trying.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, he looks tough as hell. Maybe it's an Ichinojo yusho! He went double digits the last two basho.

Day 2 standings:

code:
anakha		5
Fluffdaddy	5
Fryhtaning	5
Kanthulu	7
Kenning		5
Kikkoman	1
Martytoof	9
ratmosphere	7
Rigel		4
sivad		7
Vargatron	6

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu better get his poo poo together day 3 :[

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Sumo just needs to be 15 daily matches between Ichinojo and Tochinoshin. :black101:

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I'll drop Tochiozan for Yutakayama.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Aoiyama is in the ranking where he should steamroll everyone so he was a lowkey good pick up for me. However, Takayasu :( :( :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

sivad posted:

I'll drop Tochiozan for Yutakayama.

Trade registered.

Martytoof posted:

Takayasu better get his poo poo together day 3 :[

Bruce has been saying it over at Tachiai, his sumo is all scattered and disorganized. He isn't showing any of the sort of poise he brought to Nagoya last year. Sucks to see, there was a moment when he was really looking like serious rope material.

Day 3 standings:

code:
anakha		8
Fluffdaddy	8
Fryhtaning	7
Kanthulu	11
Kenning		10
Kikkoman	2
Martytoof	10
ratmosphere	11
Rigel		7
sivad		9
Vargatron	9
The following rikishi are unavailable for trading:

Takayasu
Mitakeumi
Tochinoshin
Ichinojo
Endo
Tamawashi
Takarafuji
Takakeisho
Shodai
Kaisei
Hokutofuji
Abi
Yoshikaze
Ryuden
Asanoyama
Ikioi
Aoiyama

The current wire is:

rigel
Kikkoman
Fluffdaddy
Fryhtaning
Martytoof
Vargatron
Kanthulu
anakha
ratmosphere
Kenning
sivad

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kenning posted:

Bruce has been saying it over at Tachiai, his sumo is all scattered and disorganized. He isn't showing any of the sort of poise he brought to Nagoya last year. Sucks to see, there was a moment when he was really looking like serious rope material.

I'm disappointed, but also because with Hakuho out it's anyone's time to shine. Have a feeling that once he's back it'll be a a one-man show again.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Day 4

Kaisei looking stronk, meanwhile Tochinoshin should have had that match!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Very pleased with Kakuryu so far. Meanwhile, the Ozeki really aren't making the most of the weakened top order

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Very pleased with Kakuryu so far. Meanwhile, the Ozeki really aren't making the most of the weakened top order

To be fair, the Ozeki schedule typically starts out with S/K and M1. The middle 8-10 days or so are the ones where they should go on a tear if they're going to be taken seriously.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mitakeumi deployed some very smart sumo today, stuff like that makes it really look like he's ozeki material. Would love to see him finish the basho with strong double-digits.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo Takakeisho

That was some intense sumo. What a job to stay on his feet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kenning posted:

Mitakeumi deployed some very smart sumo today, stuff like that makes it really look like he's ozeki material. Would love to see him finish the basho with strong double-digits.

Yeah, the reverse angle of the bout shows him keeping Ichinojo's right hand off his mawashi with his left elbow, while he waits for an opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmZr9hKtGiI&t=231s

I thought Ichi was just going to squish him like everyone else so far, but the boy had a keikaku.

Its funny, but I thought Shodai would do better out of the pair of them, but Mitakeumi seems to be pushing himself, while Shodai seems to be another Takarafuji type, where they do okay but never really brilliantly.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Wakaichiro won his 2nd match to go 2-0 on Day 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zi_9PU0w-E

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kotoyuki kyujo, Kikkoman should pick a new M10+ rikishi.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 4 standings:

code:
anakha		11
Fluffdaddy	11
Fryhtaning	12
Kanthulu	15
Kenning		14
Kikkoman	5
Martytoof	13
ratmosphere	12
Rigel		11
sivad		13
Vargatron	9

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Swapping out Takarafuji for Shohozan for Day 6 moving forward.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Kenning posted:

Kotoyuki kyujo, Kikkoman should pick a new M10+ rikishi.

Kotoyuki for Myogiryu, thank you!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'll process trades tonight, but I got up early enough to do the scoring this morning. Day 5 standings:

code:
anakha		14
Fluffdaddy	14
Fryhtaning	14
Kanthulu	20
Kenning		17
Kikkoman	6
Martytoof	14
ratmosphere	15
Rigel		12
sivad		15
Vargatron	13
Poor Aoiyama! I can't believe there was no mono-ii, he clearly should have had that one. It made me wonder why only the ringside shimpan can call a mono-ii, since they have two of them in the instant replay box also. I'm also loving stoked as hell to see Kaisei and Ichinojo going beast mode these last few basho. So much fun to watch.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Abi had that E Honda hundred hand slap thing going which backfired miserably.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kenning posted:

I'll process trades tonight, but I got up early enough to do the scoring this morning. Day 5 standings:

code:
anakha		14
Fluffdaddy	14
Fryhtaning	14
Kanthulu	20
Kenning		17
Kikkoman	6
Martytoof	14
ratmosphere	15
Rigel		12
sivad		15
Vargatron	13
Poor Aoiyama! I can't believe there was no mono-ii, he clearly should have had that one. It made me wonder why only the ringside shimpan can call a mono-ii, since they have two of them in the instant replay box also. I'm also loving stoked as hell to see Kaisei and Ichinojo going beast mode these last few basho. So much fun to watch.

Fun fact, the rikishi sitting on the side waiting for their match can also call for a mono-ii, I guess under the theory that if even a potential rival sees a match he's not involved in and goes "woah, what the gently caress?!?", then maybe we should review it.

As you can imagine, its extremely rare. I think I read that the last time it happened was a decade or so ago and the wrestler didnt even realize he could do it, he was just so shocked that he reflexively looked at the guys in black coats surprised they weren't moving and raised his hand.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 15, 2018

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Sure looks like my rikishi are doing great :smuggo:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rigel posted:

Fun fact, the rikishi sitting on the side waiting for their match can also call for a mono-ii, I guess under the theory that if even a potential rival sees a match he's not involved in and goes "woah, what the gently caress?!?", then maybe we should review it.

As you can imagine, its extremely rare. I think I read that the last time it happened was a decade or so ago and the wrestler didnt even realize he could do it, he was just so shocked that he reflexively looked at the guys in black coats surprised they weren't moving and raised his hand.

Hakuho has done it once since I've been watching

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Hakuho has done it once since I've been watching

Doing it for your own bout doesn't count.

(Seriously though, I'd be interested to see that. Do you remember when?)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That got him in a bit of hot water didn't it? He also threw and opponent into one of the judges and broke his leg.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, he pushed Yoshikaze onto Izutsu-oyakata (Kakuryu's boss) in March 2016. Broke his thigh.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qqfSK6xSk

Here's Hakuho calling the Mono-ii just after Kakuryu vs Goeido

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Day 6 thoughts:

Abi is looking really good but kind of gets caught up in tunnel vision at this point. Nothing that experience can't fix but drat he gets guys up against the ropes, over commits and then gets slapped down.

Tochinoshin hit a beautiful arm throw despite Endo keeping him away from the mawashi. Nice to see him mixing up his techniques.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's funny when you start to notice each wrestler's particular rituals and idiosyncrasies, like how Daiamami always touches his nose twice before the tachi-ai.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I recognized Goeido waiting in the tunnel just by seeing his belly.

Kotoshogiku has to just be fighting to stay in the salaried ranks as long as possible at this point, right?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I made an anki study deck from the old official sumo kimarite page while watching tonight and figured I'd share it. Added tags for top 10 and 20 most used kimarite based on statistics from Hatsu so you can just study the most commonly used kimarite if you wanted. Top 10 is actually top 9 because I had 3 kimarite tied 10th place and I'm too lazy to find a way to tiebreak that poo poo.

https://nofile.io/f/ubU75OTrP04/Kimarite.apkg

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry for missing the scoring yesterday, here are the day 7 standings:

code:
anakha		20
Fluffdaddy	21
Fryhtaning	20
Kanthulu	25
Kenning		23
Kikkoman	9
Martytoof	21
ratmosphere	21
Rigel		16
sivad		20
Vargatron	22
Remember, this is the last hour and a half to submit any trades! Once we hit 4 pm Japan time the bouts start on nakabi, and there will be no more trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
As a kaisei fan im very pleased with this basho so far.
Wondering what are the odds he gets a yusho. That would probably take Kaku injuring himself though plus a lot of luck.