Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

whose regional food is best

Koreans have the best food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tias posted:

Is God telling you guys to ultra flame other posters, or do you just love doing it that much? poo poo, I know I fall short myself occasionally, but toning it down a notch wouldn't hurt.

this is the best post btw, pls put in op of every Christianity thread

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
bbq is not a verb and well done steaks suck

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

speaking of foodchat have we discussed grape juice and gluten free wafers recently :can:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Senju Kannon posted:

bbq is not a verb and well done steaks suck

Yes it is and yes they do.

Also, I probably eat more Mexican dishes than any other regional/ethnic cuisine but I can't say it's the best because there's just so many awesome dishes from other places. Like sushi or pasties or Swedish meatballs or falafel.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Pies are by far the most superior, and I will not hear a word against really good sausages.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

...I will not hear a word against really good sausages.
Many of them are less filling than you hope they will be

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Josef bugman posted:

Pies are by far the most superior, and I will not hear a word against really good sausages.

Pie is a very different food here in the States but your statement is still correct.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If needed, I would kill a man to protect the honor of Beg Wot and Injeera

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Lincolnshire sausage is good sausage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

shame on an IGA posted:

If needed, I would kill a man to protect the honor of Beg Wot and Injeera
kitfo may be the best thing ever devised by human beings but on the other hand they drink mead in weird flasks which is odd

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Best foreign food I've ever had while traveling abroad was Polish food. Awful for you, but amazing to eat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

HEY GUNS posted:

Many of them are less filling than you hope they will be

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'd convert to any church that serves a decent pierogi after service. 🤔

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Most Midwestern food is bland and generic.

Runzas/bierocks are great though, so is rhubarb pie.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
there is nothing i love more than having a big, thick sausage in my mouth

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I prefer the theology at liberal churches and dinner at conservative ones

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

there is nothing i love more than having a big, thick sausage in my mouth

same. i love it when the sausage is all taut and glistening, and it dribbles just a little bit into your throat.

Easter can't come fast enough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GUNS posted:

whose regional food is best

well it sure as gently caress aint indiana

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kind of funny how there's so much talk of sanctuary cities and illegal immigration when God established his own sanctuary cities for manslaughter in the old testament

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

well it sure as gently caress aint indiana

Ask me about attending a four-day conference and tradeshow in Indianapolis. Seriously, on day three I took a fifteen minute uber just to buy some overpriced tomatoes to eat in my hotel room.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'd convert to any church that serves a decent pierogi after service. 🤔

there's an orthodox church in Minneapolis that has an official pierogi-making squad. they have a logo

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Meatball and korv supremacy, you southern slumlords :getin:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Worthleast posted:

St. Thomas the Apostle seems like a good patron for fingers.

Welcome to the thread buddy! :justpost: We want to hear your opinions on silly hats, gilded skeletons, and folk music.

Silly hats for everyone! But not a fan of You must be THIS religious to wear a silly hat. It's silly hats for all or silly hats for none. Do weird nun headgear count as silly hat?

Gilded skeletons? No opinion. Not sure what skeletons has to do with anything really?

Folk music is fun, but folk dancing is even better!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

So our "favorite" wannabe-Orthodox white nationalist leader Matthew Heimbach was arrested for domestic battery after being caught in an affair with his father-in-law/spokesman/webmaster's wife.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

So our "favorite" wannabe-Orthodox white nationalist leader Matthew Heimbach was arrested for domestic battery after being caught in an affair with his father-in-law/spokesman/webmaster's wife.

lmao

quote:

In the report, all four people involved in the incident recorded their occupations as “White Nationalist.”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quote:

The group all live in the same trailer park compound in rural Paoli, Indiana, where the Traditionalist Worker Party is based. In statements to the police, all four listed their professions as “white nationalists.”"
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/matthew-heimbach-police-report-domestic-battery-affair

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there's an orthodox church in Minneapolis that has an official pierogi-making squad. they have a logo

Well if I move to Minneapolis I hope the orthogoons will welcome me to the fold.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

BattyKiara posted:

Silly hats for everyone! But not a fan of You must be THIS religious to wear a silly hat. It's silly hats for all or silly hats for none. Do weird nun headgear count as silly hat?

Gilded skeletons? No opinion. Not sure what skeletons has to do with anything really?

Folk music is fun, but folk dancing is even better!

I think you'll fit in here just fine, though we may have to introduce you the delights of the Baroque.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Double posting, but the MLB thread is waxing scriptural.

resident posted:

Tim Tebow got optioned to MiLB camp today, finishing 1 for 18 this spring. John 1:18 reads "18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known." Coincidence?

Popete posted:

Timothy 1:18

Timothy, my son, I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well,

Senf posted:

Proverbs 1:18
These men lie in wait for their own blood;
they ambush only themselves!

See ya later, Timbow.

Julio Cruz posted:

Revelation 1:18

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Guess we're not getting rid of him any time soon, then.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Keromaru5 posted:

there was a pretty great article a while back where a journalist was following heimbach around to see all the outreach he was doing to poor whites and it mysteriously kept getting postponed

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

it's always the loudest ones who live lives of degradation in secret

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BattyKiara posted:

the physical remains of the people who are important are also important, and they have spiritual power. Therefore stick gold and jewels on them, and wire them into poses where they look like they're sitting up staring at you as sassily as possible

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 14, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

peak rust belt

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Can someone tell me what the hell 'premillenial' and 'postmillenial' mean in theology and where the hell the Catholic faith is on this?

Rainbow Pharaoh
Jun 13, 2014

Pershing posted:

Can someone tell me what the hell 'premillenial' and 'postmillenial' mean in theology and where the hell the Catholic faith is on this?

It's a very complicated topic, but at the simplest level it refers to whether you were born before or after the late-'80s-early-'90s. Since the Catholics have been around since at least the '60s, they fall firmly in the premillenial category. The primary theological consequence of this is that they do not spread avocado on the communion wafer.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Meatball and korv supremacy, you southern slumlords :getin:

what is a korv

give me recipes

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Pershing posted:

Premillenialism is the belief that Christ would return and set up a kingdom on earth for a thousand years. It is more often called Chiliasm and was condemned at Ephesus in 431, so Catholics cannot believe it.

I've never heard of postmillenialism.

Edit: seems like Hitler was fond of millenialism, what with a thousand year reign and all that.

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 14, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pershing posted:

Without looking a lot of stuff up, the "Millennium" is a 1000-year reign of Christ on Earth prior to Judgment Day. "Premillennials" believe the world is going to be poo poo until Christ appears and ushers in The Millennium himself. Postmillennials think that we have to make the world a decent place first before Christ will show up for The Millennium.

It's mostly Protestant stuff so I have no idea where the Catholic Church stands on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pershing posted:

quote:

Premillennialism, in Christian eschatology, is the belief that Jesus will physically return to the earth (the Second Coming) before the Millennium, a literal thousand-year golden age of peace. The doctrine is called "premillennialism" because it holds that Jesus' physical return to earth will occur prior to the inauguration of the Millennium.
In Christian end-times theology (eschatology), postmillennialism is an interpretation of chapter 20 of the Book of Revelation which sees Christ's second coming as occurring after (Latin post-) the "Millennium", a Golden Age in which Christian ethics prosper.[1] The term subsumes several similar views of the end times, and it stands in contrast to premillennialism and, to a lesser extent, amillennialism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premillennialism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmillennialism

quote:

An approach which is more common in the Catholic Church and finds support with the great St. Augustine, among others, is that the 1,000 year reign represents the period of the life of the Church, however long that may be, which extends from the establishment of the Church on Pentecost (see Acts) until the end of the world as we know it and return of Christ. In other words, we are living in the millenium or 1,000 year period NOW.
My own instinct, at least for the present, is to go with the Augustine tradition and regard the present as the period in which Satan has been chained. In other words, I do not expect some 1,000 year period which we have not yet experienced in any way. In fact, the Catholic Church rejects any interpretation which advocates some reign of Christ here on earth other than that of the Church. We are in the final stage of salvation history, with only the final coming of our Lord yet remaining for its full realization. Most especially, Catholics should not be misled by any belief that Christ will return prior to the final coming as part of a 1,000 year reign here on earth.
http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage.asp?number=349702&Pg=&Pgnu=1&recnu=

quote:

St. Augustine was for a time, as he himself testifies (City of God XX.7), a pronounced champion of millenarianism; but he places the millennium after the universal resurrection and regards it in a more spiritual light (Sermo, CCLIX). When, however, he accepted the doctrine of only one universal resurrection and a final judgment immediately following, he could no longer cling to the principal tenet of early chiliasm. St. Augustine finally held to the conviction that there will be no millennium. The struggle between Christ and His saints on the one hand and the wicked world and Satan on the other, is waged in the Church on earth; so the great Doctor describes it in his work De Civitate Dei. In the same book he gives us an allegorical explanation of Chapter 20 of the Apocalypse. The first resurrection, of which this chapter treats, he tells us, refers to the spiritual rebirth in baptism; the sabbath of one thousand years after the six thousand years of history is the whole of eternal life — or in other words, the number one thousand is intended to express perfection, and the last space of one thousand years must be understood as referring to the end of the world; at all events, the kingdom of Christ, of which the Apocalypse speaks, can only be applied to the Church (City of God XX.5-7). This explanation of the illustrious Doctor was adopted by succeeding Western theologians, and millenarianism in its earlier shape no longer received support.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10307a.htm

• Locked thread