Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On my FJ45 the key serves little purpose beyond starting and turning on anything electrical wired to the ignition switch. There's a pull-knob to kill the engine. No steering wheel lock either. The key comes right out even with the ignition switch in the run position but it won't come out when starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sent a race car out with no gas. It took the green flag and coasted behind a worker station before turn two.

Spent an hour trying to start a car that had 2 out of 3 plugs in the ECU.

Got a newer Grand Prix fully strapped onto the dyno, wide band and sensors hooked up, rear wheels on the rollers. Customer walked out then and let me know it was fwd. I think it hurt his feelings as much as mine.

Multiple rwd dyno stalls due to ebrake. (I worked on a lot of Hondas ok)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I certainly never forgot to tighten the lug nuts on one of the rear wheels on my 124 Spider, took it for a test drive, heard weird noises from the rear end so I slowed down to start a u-turn. Big clunk and the car stops, I watch the wheel roll past me, through an intersection, over a curb into somebody’s yard.

Nope, never happened.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
My former roommate had a Grand Cherokee, and the PO had hosed up the front calipers so badly we decided to replace them. I couldn't get the brakes to firm up after two hours of trying to bleed them and was worried that I'd gotten air into the ABS controller (which has to be bled with a special computerized tool at the dealer that actuates the motors properly.) Took a half-hour break, and when I came back I realized the bleeder valves were below the lines.

I had laid out the parts by standing in front of the vehicle and facing toward it, and putting the right side caliper to MY right.

I was also maybe somewhat stoned at the time.

Swapped them and they bled and worked perfectly. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never swapped a distributor cap in a parts store parking lot and forgot the firing order, nosiree.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I've never swapped a distributor cap in a parts store parking lot and forgot the firing order, nosiree.

Neither have I :hfive:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I never finger tightened lug nuts on an 85 Honda civic hatch about 20 years ago. I then never heard a vibrating I couldn't place then the driver's front wheel came off at about 50 miles per hour. (Not going East down Charleston, right in front of the Huntridge, for Las Vegas natives) It then didn't cause a very Hollywood style sheet fountain of sparks going out to the side and front, and arcing back up the hood and bouncing off the windshield as I ground to a stop. For bonus points the car immediately behind me was a cop and he lit up his lights and parked behind me while I chased down the wheel from a bank parking lot half a block away where it had demolished one of their signs. Put everything back on using one lug from each of the other wheels and amazingly the car still worked fine afterwards, not even cosmetic visible damage. The long rear end rut I gouged in the asphalt was there for years.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Farmdizzle posted:

Neither have I :hfive:

Certainly not on a car with it embossed in on the valve cover, either.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

honda whisperer posted:

Got a newer Grand Prix fully strapped onto the dyno, wide band and sensors hooked up, rear wheels on the rollers. Customer walked out then and let me know it was fwd. I think it hurt his feelings as much as mine.

The first time I took my BMW in for E-Check the tech pulled the front wheels on to the dyno. I probably set a land speed record out of the waiting room...

...only to be informed that OBD-2 cars are just plugged in and they don't actually run them , but the bay is pull-through so that's where they park.

In my defense my previous vehicles had all been '95 or older and got the sniff test.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

xzzy posted:

Especially on a 4-banger '71 Toyota. :downs:

Spent the better part of a year trying to figure out why I had torque-induced vibration in my '65 Fury. Changed the driveshaft after doing the front & rear U-joints. Pulled the axles apart. Pulled the motor mounts.

Absolutely out of my mind (and about five beers in) I ramped it, set the parking brake hard, and had my GF blip the throttle while in Drive. While I was laying under it .

It was the only way I could see the open & closing gap between the block & bellhousing on the Torqueflite. Yes, I had loose bolts.

Never getting that year back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

When i was changing the rear lower control arms on my BMW, i took the nut off the ball joint on the wrong arm, put the separating fork into the right ball joint and hammered away, and it wouldn't separate.

Once i figured out what i did wrong, the ball joint on the right arm would just spin instead of back off the ball joint because i hammered it loose, after a while screwing around i figured i would drill a hole in the lower control arm by the ball joint and drive a screw in there to stop it from spinning so i could back the nut off. I climbed under the car and drilled a hole in the wrong lower control arm. :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BitBasher posted:

I never finger tightened lug nuts on an 85 Honda civic hatch about 20 years ago. I then never heard a vibrating I couldn't place then the driver's front wheel came off at about 50 miles per hour. (Not going East down Charleston, right in front of the Huntridge, for Las Vegas natives) It then didn't cause a very Hollywood style sheet fountain of sparks going out to the side and front, and arcing back up the hood and bouncing off the windshield as I ground to a stop. For bonus points the car immediately behind me was a cop and he lit up his lights and parked behind me while I chased down the wheel from a bank parking lot half a block away where it had demolished one of their signs. Put everything back on using one lug from each of the other wheels and amazingly the car still worked fine afterwards, not even cosmetic visible damage. The long rear end rut I gouged in the asphalt was there for years.

Nope, never done that either, especially not after changing the spare onto a Suburban and driving a couple hundred miles into socal before the clunking definitely didn't start as we approached the border patrol checkpoint on I8.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Never forgot to fill the radiator I just installed.

Or to put the plug back in when I attempted to fix that.

Or put the thermostat in backwards.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Wasabi the J posted:

Never forgot to fill the radiator I just installed.

Or to put the plug back in when I attempted to fix that.

Or put the thermostat in backwards.

I've definitely never destroyed the threads on a thermostat housing because I put the thermostat in backwards

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Pulled the radiator out of a car to switch it for a reconditioned one. Got into the car thinking "I can drive it twenty feet so I can get another car in my bay until the radiator comes back". It was an auto with trans cooler built in to the radiator, but I certainly did not forget to bridge the pipes and piss auto fluid all over the 'shop floor.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have never had a car fall off a lovely own jack and put a hole through the sill. Nope

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Our 5yr, 2900hr old Toro groundmaster 360 mower at work just decided to poo poo out the main input seal on the transmission.

$35 seal.

$2,500 of labour to replace it. They have to basically dissasemble the entire machine, cabin off, deck off, tanks off, EVERYTHING bar the wheels and drive motors off, then lift the engine and trans out as an assembly to be able to split it.

So its sitting in the shed till new financial year cos we're too broke to pay the bill right now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I changed the springs, struts and associated bits on my Corolla back in September.

It took me about 8-9 hours, starting at 7 pm in the shop at work, after everyone had gone home. I had been up for most of the day already, and was pretty much finished, both the job and from being tired as gently caress. I was disassembling the old strut/spring combos to toss in the scrap metal bin and had my impact on a strut nut loosening it off........... Then I looked over on the work bench and saw my spring compressors sitting there.... :downsgun:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I've always remembered to get the distributor back in properly and not out of phase 180, so of course it wouldn't take me several days of troubleshooting, parts replacement and backfires to figure it out.

Also installing fuel pumps has always gone well for me, so I've never had to worry or get angry that my car wouldn't start because I had reversed the polarity on the pump.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I reinstalled the old timing belt on my Civic and had to do it all over again

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

OH GOD

Never reassembled a W124 Benz 6 after a water pump change, turn around, and find gaskets & extra parts on the table.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

wesleywillis posted:

I changed the springs, struts and associated bits on my Corolla back in September.

It took me about 8-9 hours, starting at 7 pm in the shop at work, after everyone had gone home. I had been up for most of the day already, and was pretty much finished, both the job and from being tired as gently caress. I was disassembling the old strut/spring combos to toss in the scrap metal bin and had my impact on a strut nut loosening it off........... Then I looked over on the work bench and saw my spring compressors sitting there.... :downsgun:

The best part about disassembling struts is aiming the strut body at a box across the garage, putting your foot on the spring, and rattling the nut off the end. Those fuckers go flying*.

*Of course you're never supposed to do this :getin:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, I wasn't supposed to just throw them away as a surprise for the garbage truck mechanism?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Never smugly tried to teach my girlfriend how to change a tyre “the proper way” only for her to turn around and ask if the spare was supposed to be flat also when I lowered the jack.

joke is on that goddam tyre. I drove 2500km around rural Australia with gently caress all cell reception and I didn’t need the spare until I was at home!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I have never replaced the transmission on my 96 Lumina with one from a junkyard and then pulled that one out after it exhibited the same behavior as my original transmission on the test drive and installed ANOTHER junkyard tranny only to finally realize that the problem was a blown fuse. Nope, not me!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Never have I ever rebuilt a Type 1 VW engine then had to write in all my reference books in sharpie "distributor installed 180* reverse firing order" Not even once have I done this.
Also gently caress those god damned split cases bearings I bought like 4 sets because one would manage to move when I put the case back together.

edit: the mechanical failure is coming from inside the thread

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Never have I ever rebuilt a Type 1 VW engine then had to write in all my reference books in sharpie "distributor installed 180* reverse firing order" Not even once have I done this.
Also gently caress those god damned split cases bearings I bought like 4 sets because one would manage to move when I put the case back together.

edit: the mechanical failure is coming from inside the thread

We're all mechanical failures

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I definitely never forgot to install or bend the cotter pin that holds the brake pad retention pin in place, which led to the cotter pin falling out (if it was ever there), then the big slide pin that holds the pads in the caliper, then the pads working their way out until the pistons popped free and half the brake fluid in the system dumped out. Nope, totally didn't have that happen two weeks after changing the pads, as I exited the interstate at that weird waystation in Vinita, OK on a road trip to Chicago.

The Chevy dealer up there was cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I totally never forgot to measure piston depth for an engine rebuild and get the wrong size headgasket, causing a valve to touch the piston for a couple weeks before failing catastrophically with a dropped valve seat that got hammered.

And then I totally didn't rebuild the engine and still own it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah I had a 96 Cherokee where the ignition tumblers were so worn, it would start with anything that you could fit into the keyhole. It would also let you take the key out with the car running.

My AE86 does the same thing. I couldn't figure out why the key buzzer and idiot lights stayed on with the key out. Turns out I hadn't actually turned the key all the way off (it has a push-button to allow the key to go to the lock position, and, since it's kind of on the back of the cylinder, I didn't see it,) and the key comes out pretty much any time you want it to.
I'll be getting a new lock set for the car eventually.

Also, I absolutely have not replaced a started on my first-car '68 El Camino (with the ignition on the dash, so no interlocks) because it wouldn't start. And then realized that I'd left the console shifter in D. Nope, didn't do that.
To be fair, Dad missed that, too. I mean, didn't, because it never happened.

Powershift posted:

When i was changing the rear lower control arms on my BMW, i took the nut off the ball joint on the wrong arm, put the separating fork into the right ball joint and hammered away, and it wouldn't separate.

Once i figured out what i did wrong, the ball joint on the right arm would just spin instead of back off the ball joint because i hammered it loose, after a while screwing around i figured i would drill a hole in the lower control arm by the ball joint and drive a screw in there to stop it from spinning so i could back the nut off. I climbed under the car and drilled a hole in the wrong lower control arm. :downs:

OK, that's pretty impressive.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I was certainly never party to using a pair of suicide jacks to lift the front end of an '86 Accord during an aborted attempt to change the clutch.

And, of course, one of those jacks absolutely wasn't a flat-top that folded one of the pinch welds in.

And, naturally, after that didn't happen, the car also absolutely did not slip off of that jack at around 24" off the floor.

Thankfully, since this never happened, there also wasn't a high-quality toolbox on the floor beside where my friend wasn't, and the car didn't wedge itself against the toolbox with only the other suicide jack holding it off the ground - and thankfully my friend wasn't under the loving car just beside the toolbox when this happened.

Realtalk: I actually still have nightmares about this every once in awhile, and it was more than 20 years ago. Apparently, my friend's father (whose toolbox saved his son's - my friend's - life) has kept that poo poo-beat toolbox in his garage as a memento mori. Thank gently caress the second jack didn't fail, and the second pinch weld didn't fail, and the toolbox didn't deform any more than it did, and... and... and... I mean, the only place my buddy could have been on that side of the car and not been pinned to the wall by it was exactly where he was, just by sheer luck. I think the other two of us pulled him out the other side before he realized what had happened. One of us probably should have died that day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I never rotated the engine 90 degrees during a crankshaft sensor magnet replacement on a GM 3800, ensuring that the hole for the magnet in the timing gear was misaligned. After never discovering this, I never wondered why the magnet wouldn't fit in what was now a random hole in the gear, or continued to force it in place with a rubber hammer and JB-weld.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

I was certainly never party to using a pair of suicide jacks to lift the front end of an '86 Accord during an aborted attempt to change the clutch.

And, of course, one of those jacks absolutely wasn't a flat-top that folded one of the pinch welds in.

And, naturally, after that didn't happen, the car also absolutely did not slip off of that jack at around 24" off the floor.

Thankfully, since this never happened, there also wasn't a high-quality toolbox on the floor beside where my friend wasn't, and the car didn't wedge itself against the toolbox with only the other suicide jack holding it off the ground - and thankfully my friend wasn't under the loving car just beside the toolbox when this happened.

Realtalk: I actually still have nightmares about this every once in awhile, and it was more than 20 years ago. Apparently, my friend's father (whose toolbox saved his son's - my friend's - life) has kept that poo poo-beat toolbox in his garage as a memento mori. Thank gently caress the second jack didn't fail, and the second pinch weld didn't fail, and the toolbox didn't deform any more than it did, and... and... and... I mean, the only place my buddy could have been on that side of the car and not been pinned to the wall by it was exactly where he was, just by sheer luck. I think the other two of us pulled him out the other side before he realized what had happened. One of us probably should have died that day.

I certainly have never forgotten to set the parking brake before changing a tire. And I certainly never did this on uneven ground. And obviously since I've never done those things, the lovely scissor jack won't have pretzeled itself as I was putting the spare on, causing my '91 acura legend to fall directly on my best friends foot.

Somehow he managed to completely avoid injury, but now neither of us go under a car without jack stands and we both carry trolley jacks in our cars instead of scissor jacks. Dude should be missing half his foot, but luckily it twisted as I was sliding the spare on and part of the spare landed on his foot instead of the front rotor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing like confronting mortality to instill an appreciation for basic safety precautions.

Though it does have limits, eventually you've witnessed so many freakish ways to get maimed or killed you're no fun to be around.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh yeah I've never done that with the radiator too!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

tactlessbastard posted:

We're all mechanical failures

Refitting is never simply the reverse of the removal procedure

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I definitely didn't spill a bunch of oil on my parents' driveway doing an oil change for my mom yesterday after just talking about that.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I certainly never forgot to use loctite on my motorcycle's brake caliper bolts after changing the brake pads.
The caliper certainly didn't come loose and fall off on the subsequent test ride.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

I definitely did not put on my calipers back in the wrong side so the bleed screws were facing down and no matter how much you bleed you still have a squishy pedal.

Definitely never hosed this up, either, especially on someone else's car.

Also didn't recently learn the hard way that a 99 chevy van DOESN'T waste a spark like motorcycles because their distributor is timed off the camshaft instead of the crank, and when they say "timing is off 180*" it actually kinda means "timing is off 360*". Definitely didn't take me over a week of spare time and buying a new distributor to figure that one out before my caveman brain put two and two together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BloodBag posted:

The best part about disassembling struts is aiming the strut body at a box across the garage, putting your foot on the spring, and rattling the nut off the end. Those fuckers go flying*.

*Of course you're never supposed to do this :getin:

That would have been interesting, but the strut was pointed at my car.....