Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

The Crotch posted:

Non-hybrid rogues can do sneak attacks once per turn on any attack that deals damage with an appropriate weapon.

Wait does that count as enemy turns too? Like say fuckwit mcbandit survives me stabbing him the back with a sneak attack, due to having cunning stalker I'd still have CA on him, he's not a smart person and tries to run on his turn, giving me an OA on him, while CA is still in effect, does it mean sneak attack can trigger there too because it's his turn not mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Nalesh posted:

Trying to look for fun feats to give my duelist rogue, went for daggers instead of a rapier even though it has some fun feats. What would be some interesting ones to grab? Currently at level 5 with cunning stalker and backstabber.

If you are looking for fun, maybe look for some ranged feats like distant advantage, since those daggers are also thrown weapons which auto-return if they are magic, and many rogue powers work on ranged attacks.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Wait does that count as enemy turns too? Like say fuckwit mcbandit survives me stabbing him the back with a sneak attack, due to having cunning stalker I'd still have CA on him, he's not a smart person and tries to run on his turn, giving me an OA on him, while CA is still in effect, does it mean sneak attack can trigger there too because it's his turn not mine?

Yes, exactly. Else it would be phrased "once per round" or "once during your turn."

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Yes, exactly. Else it would be phrased "once per round" or "once during your turn."

I'm a refugee from shadowrun, still getting used to all of this :v:

Ash Rose posted:

If you are looking for fun, maybe look for some ranged feats like distant advantage, since those daggers are also thrown weapons which auto-return if they are magic, and many rogue powers work on ranged attacks.

All magic daggers? Like I'm using a fey strike and rhythm blade currently, took the feystrike so I wouldn't have to chuck my weapon away :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 27, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If it's magic, it comes back after being thrown. Good to remember if the combat just started, and you can sneak attack someone whose turn hasn't come up yet, but he's just a bit too far and you don't feel like charging.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Huh, guess I need to think of something else to enchant the dagger with then.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nalesh posted:

Huh, guess I need to think of something else to enchant the dagger with then.

Yeah this generally originated from

(A) No one wanting to chuck a magic weapon at someone

or

(B) Everyone taking Returning first thing on a thrown magic weapon, in the rare instance they even used one

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doesn't help that throwing weapons are generally bad. Rogues get the best of it, though seekers can do some real good with with promise of storm on a thrown spear.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Starting now to get a bit concerned that these familiars might actually overshadow our own abilities and make the whole thing cheap. Although I guess if I'm really concerned about that I can just take the attack familiar or cite some roleplay reason to take none at all.

So did anything happen with the familiars?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Everyone got the flu and we cancelled.

Good thing is, now we found a day where everyone can make it, and I'll subtly suggest we won't need those great familiars anymore to make up for the lack of two characters, shame after you went to all the trouble but it can't be helped.

Coming up nexz: the adventure of the six defense familiars and their pet adventurers

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm going to start an eberron campaign to some forum friends of mine. Are there any good adventure paths on that setting on 4E?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Just convert slaying stone and Madness at Gardmore Abbey?

I don't think there generally are.

Whispers on the Vampire's Blade from 3.5 has some nice pacing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Khyber's Harvest was a level 2 adventure set in Eberron. It's a free thing since it was made for Free RPG Day 2009, although the monster are still using early MM math so they'll need some edits.

Probably any explicitly Eberron adventure is going to be in the Dungeon Magazine.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I might DM a campaign for 2 players in the future. I've seen some general advice for smaller parties here and there, but I was wondering if anyone here had advice for someone looking to run for 2 PCs?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Make the hiring of NPCs and/or the capture of monsters for combat assistance a core gimmick of the campaign.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

BattleCake posted:

So I might DM a campaign for 2 players in the future. I've seen some general advice for smaller parties here and there, but I was wondering if anyone here had advice for someone looking to run for 2 PCs?

Give each player another pc under their control.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BattleCake posted:

If they are new, they should play a defender and a leader, preferably ones that do lots of damage round-to-round, so ideally fighters, melee clerics, and warlords.

If they are not new, have them play two each. Playing two characters can actually be easier, because your two characters are perfectly in-sync strategically if you know what you're doing.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The above two post are pretty good, you can do the generic role classes from the two roles they didn't pick and sync the kits up to whatever monsters they capture if you go that route, or just give them NPCs and slowly give the players more and more control over said NPCs until they just have 2 characters.

That is assuming they aren't experienced enough to run 2 off the bat.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

They're both fairly inexperienced, so I think I will go the route of having some companions for them. I like the monster capturing idea, as well as gradually giving them more control over their companions, thanks!

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I had a quick question about using inherent bonuses. If you use inherent bonuses so you don't have to track expected bonuses from magic equipment as players level, do you just give players magical items purely for the other effects on them? What about with magic weapons that have unique critical bonuses aside from the standard +1d6/enhancement, are any of them actually interesting or are they not really worth bothering with? Inherent bonuses seems like it will cut down a lot on bookkeeping but of course you still want to drop fun magic items for players. I will probably poke into other editions of d&d for more interesting or plain weird magic items but I'm just wondering what's the best way to utilize the magic items in 4e alongside inherent bonuses.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 12, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yeah, keep dropping fun items on the players even if you're using inherent bonuses. Crit items are trash, but I might be biased by rolling like poo poo whenever I've run mass-attack/reroll builds. Passive properties are usually cool and good (and some builds rely on having them), stuff with unique daily effects can be neat if they aren't competing with other gear for an equip slot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A "High Crit" weapon, which deals an extra 1W of damage per tier whenever you crit, is a property of the base weapon, such as all scimitars. You can hand it out as a bonus if you'd like.

By default, all magic weapons deal an additional +1d6 damage per plus. For a weapon to deal more than this is another bonus that you can also hand out if you'd like.

By level 10, a character would have a +2 inherent bonus, so a +2 bonus to all attack and damage rolls, and +2d6 damage on a critical hit.

You might say that they found a Berserker Weapon, which increases their critical damage to +2d10
Or they found a Frost Weapon, which changes their critical damage to +2d6 cold damage
Or they found a Dragonslayer Weapon, which changes their critical damage to +2d12 against dragons, and +1d8 against everything else
Or they found a Holy Avenger Weapon, which changes their critical damage to +2d6 radiant damage
(on top of all the other effects and powers granted by these weapons)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Keep in mind that, if I'm not mistaken, the inherent bonus table lags behind the expected item progression, i.e. when you get an inherent bonus, that's the latest you should have gotten that bonus from an item. It's a safety catch more than anything else. But also keep in mind that the higher bonus counts, and a simple +2 weapon is still worth it when your inherent bonus is only +1.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

Keep in mind that, if I'm not mistaken, the inherent bonus table lags behind the expected item progression, i.e. when you get an inherent bonus, that's the latest you should have gotten that bonus from an item. It's a safety catch more than anything else. But also keep in mind that the higher bonus counts, and a simple +2 weapon is still worth it when your inherent bonus is only +1.
Weapons are at 2's and 7's. Armor is at 4's and 9's.

The game math (with Expertise) still works out fine, though.

I just let all my players' weapons and armor scale upwards automatically when those thresholds were hit.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I thought there's weapons that do stuff like +1d10/plus critical instead of +1d6/plus, or that one earth staff which roots people instead of having a damage crit bonus?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yukari posted:

I thought there's weapons that do stuff like +1d10/plus critical instead of +1d6/plus, or that one earth staff which roots people instead of having a damage crit bonus?

Yes there are, and presuming you get such a weapon, you would replace your crit value.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a set of generally-accepted "fixes" for Beastmaster Ranger? Or some sort of obscure Beast Expertise etc. that helps close the gap?

(I'd understand if the answer is "fey beast tamer" - do folks just let the ranger beast powers work with that pet?)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
use the Revised Ranger is the default answer that doesn't drown you in houserules/homebrew

wow this is not the 5e thread, I'm a dumbass

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

use the Revised Ranger is the default answer that doesn't drown you in houserules/homebrew

wow this is not the 5e thread, I'm a dumbass
Just use f-

Five Eyes posted:

(I'd understand if the answer is "fey beast tamer" - do folks just let the ranger beast powers work with that pet?)
Just use, uh... sentinel hybrid.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Five Eyes posted:

Is there a set of generally-accepted "fixes" for Beastmaster Ranger? Or some sort of obscure Beast Expertise etc. that helps close the gap?

I let the ranger have a pet companion character so the PC didn’t have to use actions to power the pet. Beast master powers would still work, but the ranger could pick better powers / features and still have a pet. I adjusted the encounter for 1 extra PC and everything was good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As an unshakeable 4e defender, I gotta say, multiclass feats were such a misguided idea. People want actual multi-classing you nerds. Putting out Hybrids later was good but they shouldn't have been called Hybrids, they should've been called multi-classing.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

As an unshakeable 4e defender, I gotta say, multiclass feats were such a misguided idea. People want actual multi-classing you nerds. Putting out Hybrids later was good but they shouldn't have been called Hybrids, they should've been called multi-classing.

The feats work better than the level-mixing style since they don't kill your progression for the sake of poaching some class features/power, but it could've been done better/been more interesting, or at the very least less feat-intensive.

I'm not sure how Hybrid is a less appropriate term than multi-classing, to me it describes the mechanics involved there better.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man, I thought the first Multiclass feats were great.

I think the extra feat taxes to take more powers weren't, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Multiclass feats in general are a way better idea than the hybrid system. The hybrid system just adds needless complexity.

Though yes, having to take extra feats to get extra powers sucked.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

They should've called it Dual-Classing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
multiclassing has only ever made DnD worse, and the multiclass feats should have been where it stopped if they were going to do it at all

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Power swaps can be strong enough that spending a feat to do it seems ok to me. One for all three, anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lurdiak posted:

All 4e defenders are unshakable. Especially Wardens.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

gradenko_2000 posted:

multiclassing has only ever made DnD worse, and the multiclass feats should have been where it stopped if they were going to do it at all

Strong agree, one of the worst aspects of class design in 3.x is that many of the classes lack the essential aspects of themselves until like level 3-4 because the devs are terrified of good things being sniped at level 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there any character builder available for Mac? I used to use the offline character builder, but I no longer have access to a PC.