Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

How do you fellas feel about head-bobbing? Weapon-bobbing? For some reason the latter makes me feel a bit quesy, but not the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

anatomi posted:

How do you fellas feel about head-bobbing? Weapon-bobbing? For some reason the latter makes me feel a bit quesy, but not the former.

I don't mind both usually, but I do prefer a smooth relatively low bob feel. I have the default bobbing in gzdoom set to half or so in console just because I can.

What I don't dig at all is the strafe view tilt, like in Turok, I disable that when I can. Only Bob I like is that scary guy from Twin Peaks, quite frankly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm not a big fan of head bobbing because (in my personal experience), it's usually applied to such an aggressive extent that I get a claustrophobic motion sickness from it...and I've otherwise never gotten motion sickness from playing games. For some reason, a lot of STALKER mods implement some of the worst head bobbing I've ever seen. It's like standing on the bow of a ship during an accelerated storm.

The reality is that your eyes and brain are wired to all but eliminate most head bobbing, so it's actually really unnatural and distracting to have it in most games.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I turn them both off, but thats partially because my eyes are hosed up and I see trails around rapid motion (2d Sidescrollers are particularly bad)

That said, there's something about Dark Force's movement that I adore. Slowing down Doom should not work at all, but the pitched battles between you and stormtroopers feels so perfectly Star Wars. DICE's team at Battlefront are graphical wizards, but the gun feel is still basically "bad Call of Duty without half their feedback".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Always turn off the bobbing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

your brain edits out head bob in real life so i dont know why the hell they put it in games. its like the player character is suffering from an inner ear infection or something

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

your brain edits out head bob in real life so i dont know why the hell they put it in games. its like the player character is suffering from an inner ear infection or something
It makes it less like you're rollerskating around everywhere.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I rather feel skating if the game is fast like a build or doom engine based.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Did somebody say head bobbing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lr_8Titu5A

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jesus Christ, I would puke

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
How does someone develop an entire game and not think that's a little too much?
Wolfenstein TNC had a bit too much view bobbing for me. Too much swaying just by looking around

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I don't even normally get bothered by headbob but holy crap this is bad. :barf:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HolyKrap posted:

How does someone develop an entire game and not think that's a little too much?
Wolfenstein TNC had a bit too much view bobbing for me. Too much swaying just by looking around

Maybe they tied it to framerate and it wasn't that bad on 1994 hardware.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's the same as PC games with really low, unchangeable FOV (e.g. Mass Effect 2, most COD games, Metro 2033). I don't understand how anyone on the Dev team could have tested it for more than 5 minutes without being violently sick :barf:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The easy answer for most of those is probably they developed them for consoles, which incentivizes lower FOV because the screen is farther away from the user (broadly speaking) among other reasons.

Then when porting to PC they either didn't think about changing the FOV or discovered "whoops this breaks all sorts of stuff". Interesting post from a developer on Borderlands 2: http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/2013/07/inside-the-box-field-of-view/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Cheers for the link! I think you're right about the console focus but still, it's really annoying having to futz around with community fixes or fiddling with Unreal Engine ini files to get thing to work properly. I'm glad most PC games these days seem to include a FOV slider by default.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Kins posted:

It makes it less like you're rollerskating around everywhere.

You know how you solve that? Good sound effects and weapon sway.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The first game where you play as a ninja on a Segway with square wheels

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really want more Ion Maiden it’s actually dampening my want to play other games. I’ve played the preview so many times at this point but I just want to keep playing

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Playing through Brutal Doom 64, I highly recommend it to any one who hasn't tried it.

Dumb question, does any one know if modern DOOM engine ports use the same sector math that the originals did, or do they render in "true" perspective 3D? I was curious about making a DOOM mod that messed with camera perspectives, not sure where to start.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Escape Goat posted:

Playing through Brutal Doom 64, I highly recommend it to any one who hasn't tried it.

Dumb question, does any one know if modern DOOM engine ports use the same sector math that the originals did, or do they render in "true" perspective 3D? I was curious about making a DOOM mod that messed with camera perspectives, not sure where to start.

OpenGL-based ports like GZDoom render them in true 3D, but software rendering ports like ZDoom and Chocolate Doom pretty much does it the old way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone played Hedon? It looks really cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBD0W2ooyc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Escape Goat posted:

Just be careful you don't end up in lilith.wad territory because then GRAF ZAHL WILL HATE YOU FOREVER.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Convex posted:

It's the same as PC games with really low, unchangeable FOV (e.g. Mass Effect 2, most COD games, Metro 2033). I don't understand how anyone on the Dev team could have tested it for more than 5 minutes without being violently sick :barf:

that happened to me with the first borderlands. i couldn't understand why it felt so weird and then i realized they had it on a garbage fov for pc (which was probably fine on console) but i had no idea how anyone tested it and didn't go holy poo poo this is awful. was like your character constantly had their neck craned forward.

Johnny Law posted:

The easy answer for most of those is probably they developed them for consoles, which incentivizes lower FOV because the screen is farther away from the user (broadly speaking) among other reasons.

Then when porting to PC they either didn't think about changing the FOV or discovered "whoops this breaks all sorts of stuff". Interesting post from a developer on Borderlands 2: http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/2013/07/inside-the-box-field-of-view/

haha hadn't got to your post when i made mine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

that happened to me with the first borderlands. i couldn't understand why it felt so weird and then i realized they had it on a garbage fov for pc (which was probably fine on console) but i had no idea how anyone tested it and didn't go holy poo poo this is awful. was like your character constantly had their neck craned forward.

Testers can report stuff as much as they want, it only matters whether or not the devs actually fix it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So I'm finally checking out Ion Maiden and one of the Shelly's quotes after a kill was "Laputan Machine" and it tickled my ancient nerd prostate in just the best way.

Not even interested in poo poo anymore unless its directly based on or referencing PC game culture from a very brief time in the 90's. Forever.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

so, amid evil reminds me of a weird combo of kiss: psycho circus and turok 2. the levels are very quakey though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

so, amid evil reminds me of a weird combo of kiss: psycho circus and turok 2. the levels are very quakey though.

Yeah definitely getting strong Quake-vibes from some of the levels.

But out of curiosity, do the enemies become more diverse (like Quake had, with zombies, rotfish, Ogres, Vores, Spawn, etc.)? I'm still on the first episode but it's kind of boring dealing with what is essentially the same enemy with three different attacks (melee, melee/projectile, and flyers) ad nauseum.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Each act (that's in the game so far) has it's own set of enemies.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Good to know. That's actually something I've always liked about Quake, was how strange and mechanically distinct the bestiary was: The gloppy, hyperactive Spawns...the slow but semi-invulnerable zombies...the versatile ogres with their chainsaw-cat yeowls...the hulking, eyeless Shamblers that could conjure lightning with their claws for some reason. They really nailed the designs of a lot of the enemies without feeling especially derivative or redundant. It's crazy.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 16, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

In other news, a friend of mine is releasing a gameplay mod in a few days and put out a trailer. If you remember the name from an old version, he's more or less completely rebuilt it since then. There's also a new character...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYXORO9VH4
This is out now, by the way. It's very good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel pretty much the same way about Amid Evil as I did when I was just watching it instead of playing it. Refunded it after about the 2h mark. The maps are kind of hard for me to navigate because the game has no artstyle, nothing looks like anything. It's a weird combination of blocky blocks and slidey slopes and all of it has really intense bumpmapping that looks okay I guess but also removes any identifying features. I kept getting lost in the big levels because big open rooms look pretty unique but every hallway looks the same to me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This owns.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I haven't found the maps in Amid Evil hard to navigate (they're quite nice) but I've found the combat design pretty lacking. Outside of soul power mode, it just doesn't feel fun to fight monsters, which in a game about fighting monsters seems like an odd mistake to make.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Holy poo poo! That looks fuckin' nuts! Might have to jump on that, cheers!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Lemon-Lime posted:

Has anyone played Hedon? It looks really cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBD0W2ooyc

I have. It’s cool but I’m not a fan of how hard the enemies and their projectiles are to see and how much damage they do. Also too many dark areas. Other than that it’s cool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

It's a more recent version, with up-to-date versions of the source ports. The author posted on Facebook that if you've bought it previously, you can contact him for a code for the new version, which is very nice of him.

In other news, a friend of mine is releasing a gameplay mod in a few days and put out a trailer. If you remember the name from an old version, he's more or less completely rebuilt it since then. There's also a new character...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYXORO9VH4

This looks amazing, but wow, do they need a better voice over actor. Maybe the performance is fine, but how about not recording it on a budget mic in his basement? :colbert:

But yes, this looks incredible! :toot:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This looks amazing, but wow, do they need a better voice over actor. Maybe the performance is fine, but how about not recording it on a budget mic in his basement? :colbert:
I believe these are fairly old recordings? The guy's done stuff for other mods and there's better mic quality in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

There's some new updates to long developed mods coming out today. I think Pillowblaster is releasing a new update to Guncaster too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8k8qSWtRZU