Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
wait do I not understand how killers work? Don't they just add a normal 50% ATK? Like, if I swap beast killer for a GS Mastery, it's the same... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Cobalt60 posted:

wait do I not understand how killers work? Don't they just add a normal 50% ATK? Like, if I swap beast killer for a GS Mastery, it's the same... right?

Not even remotely. GS Mastery is 50% of your base attack added to your attack as a bonus. Killers are take your end damage and add 50% more to it.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
As a rule of thumb, a type-killer ability is equivalent to 2x its value in ATK at the game's current power-creep levels.

So a 50% beast killer is equivalent to a +100% ATK vs. beasts. The 75% Dragon Killer+ is equivalent to +150% ATK/MAG vs. dragons.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’m sure this has probably been discussed a million times in the thread, but I just started playing a few days ago, so I was wondering if characters’ LB gauges fill at different rates? Setzer’s seems to fill fast as hell, but Basch’s seems to fill waaaay slower than everyone else’s.

I got Basch two days ago in a rainbow crystal; his LB is nothing to write home about (fire damage to one enemy + 100% evade for 3 turns), but dude is a goddamn tank, plus he’s got some pretty good group buffs/debuffs.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Generally, a killer is better than anything +40% ATK or lower, and not as good as 50% or higher.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m sure this has probably been discussed a million times in the thread, but I just started playing a few days ago, so I was wondering if characters’ LB gauges fill at different rates? Setzer’s seems to fill fast as hell, but Basch’s seems to fill waaaay slower than everyone else’s.

I got Basch two days ago in a rainbow crystal; his LB is nothing to write home about (fire damage to one enemy + 100% evade for 3 turns), but dude is a goddamn tank, plus he’s got some pretty good group buffs/debuffs.

You're correct; different characters LBs cost different amounts. Basch is a really nice tank to have, and will help you out for awhile. Have you posted your friends code in the thread yet?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yes, LB's require a different amount of the little red crysts depending on the character. Setzer only needs 16 to fill up his LB at 6* while Basch instead needs 26 to fill his gauge.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I got my first Delita.

I was so let down I felt like I got Bediled.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

hagie posted:

I got my first Delita.

I was so let down I felt like I got Bediled.

Delita owns. He's been on my main squad for literally every single event we've had since I pulled him. Every story event, every raid event, every KM event, the only exceptions are those immune to breaks. 65% Def/Spr breaks are gigantic, and have allowed me to OHKO of basically everything. If you have a Pod/Pouch in addition to his normal kit, he becomes the ultimate support unit/breaker.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Yea well he gets back burnered for the 4 other units that need power crysts. Likely he won’t see the light of day when I can just toss in 9S or manage with WOL or other options.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I can't believe in all my pulls I haven't seen a Delita. Had two Knight Delitas, 2 Ramza, 1 Merc Ramza, 2 Orlandeaus; but somehow I've managed to miss base Delita.

I wouldn't even mind him for those fantastic defensive breaks.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dana Crysalis posted:

Not even remotely. GS Mastery is 50% of your base attack added to your attack as a bonus. Killers are take your end damage and add 50% more to it.

McSpankWich posted:

Generally, a killer is better than anything +40% ATK or lower, and not as good as 50% or higher.

Well, that didn't clear it up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm getting close to being ready to enhance Thunderspells Grandpa Cid's Divine Ruination, and I found this enhancement planner. I'm not sure how up to date it is, though. There are characters in the list that are grey, but you can still select them and see what you need.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

KDdidit posted:

Well, that didn't clear it up.

How? Man-Eater is better than any of the +30% of +40% ATK materias.. (Quick Assault, Widsom, Proud Fencer, etc) but not better than the 50% of 60% (Weapon type mastery, Sworn Six's Pride - Dark, etc) for overall damage.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

McSpankWich posted:

How? Man-Eater is better than any of the +30% of +40% ATK materias.. (Quick Assault, Widsom, Proud Fencer, etc) but not better than the 50% of 60% (Weapon type mastery, Sworn Six's Pride - Dark, etc) for overall damage.

Maybe I'm reading Dana's post wrong, but it sounds like he's saying Killers are way better.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Orlandeau 6★
Right hand: Onion Sword ATK+135
Left hand: Save the Queen (FFIX) ATK+135
Head: Prishe's Hairpin HP+10%, MP+10%, ATK+45
Body: Demon Mail ATK+10, DEF+55
Accessory 1: Desch's Earring ATK+45
Accessory 2: Desch's Earring ATK+45
Materia 1: Awesome Swordsman ATK+30%
Materia 2: Sworn Six's Pride - Dark ATK+60%
Materia 3: Large Sword Mastery ATK+50%
Materia 4: Dark Knight's Soul ATK+50%
Esper: Bahamut HP+64, MP+63, ATK+60, DEF+60, MAG+60, SPR+60
Total: HP:6481, MP:290, ATK:1231, DEF:265, MAG:210, SPR:202

Damage using 1x skill: 44444

Same build against a Dragon type enemy, switching SSP-Dark for Dragon Killer.

Orlandeau 6★
Materia 1: Awesome Swordsman ATK+30%
Materia 2: Dragon Killer
Materia 3: Large Sword Mastery ATK+50%
Materia 4: Dark Knight's Soul ATK+50%
Total: HP:6481, MP:290, ATK:1117, DEF:265, MAG:210, SPR:202

Damage: 53519

Killers are better.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

http://ffbeequip.lyrgard.fr

Makes it trivial to see what the best setup is. Answer: it's almost always worth equipping 50% or better killers (as many as you can). Then after that you try to get as close as you can to 300% attack.

edit: beaten by PBJ

Victis fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 14, 2018

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

I can't believe in all my pulls I haven't seen a Delita. Had two Knight Delitas, 2 Ramza, 1 Merc Ramza, 2 Orlandeaus; but somehow I've managed to miss base Delita.

I wouldn't even mind him for those fantastic defensive breaks.

Same but with ramza, i have 3 delita, knight delita, 3 orlandu, and got merc ramza this weekend, but not a single base ramza.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The free and half price summon got me Divine Soleil and Rasler today. This weekends cactuars can't come fast enough, I have a big pile of chars to level and awaken.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Because I'm curious about such things...

Baseline:

Orlandeau 6★
Materia 1: ATK +10% ATK+10%
Materia 2: Large Sword Mastery ATK+50%
Materia 3: ATK +10% ATK+10%
Materia 4: Awesome Swordsman ATK+30%
Total: HP:6481, MP:290, ATK:1060, DEF:265, MAG:210, SPR:202

Same attack value, + Killers
Orlandeau 6★
Materia 1: ATK +20% ATK+20%
Materia 2: Large Sword Mastery ATK+50%
Materia 3: Poach/Dragon Killer/Dragon Killer+
Materia 4: Awesome Swordsman ATK+30%
Total: HP:6481, MP:290, ATK:1060, DEF:265, MAG:210, SPR:202

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baseline:31658
Baseline + 25% ATK: 35028 (+134.8 damage per 1% ATK)
Baseline + 50% ATK: 38494 (+136.72 damage per 1% ATK)
Baseline + 15% Killer: 36406 (+316.53~ damage per 1% Killer)
Baseline + 50% Killer: 47487 (+316.58 damage per 1% Killer)
Baseline + 75% Killer: 55401 (+316.573~ damage per 1% Killer)

Poach(Killer +15%) is probably about the same as ATK +30%, 50% and higher isn't even close.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

hmm.. maybe poach is what I was thinking of then.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
{[Base/Potted ATK x (1 + passive ATK%) + Equip ATK x (1 + equip ATK%) + Esper ATK/100] x highest active ATK battle buff x highest active ATK break}^2 = Actual raw damage value

Once you have the raw damage, it is wrung through the damage amplifications/reductions calculation to get the actual damage number that pops up in a fight.

Because Killer effects are applied as a damage amplification, in a way they actually take your entire ATK stat into account, rather than just a part of it (for passive or unspecified ATK%, only Base/Potted ATK applies, whereas for gear-given ATK, only Equip ATK% applies).

However, killers are not applied before the squaring process to get raw damage so you can't just say "Well a 50% dragon killer means my 1000 ATK stat becomes 1500 ATK vs. Dragons". You only end up at a 1225 ATK once you square the ATK, apply the killer, and take the square root of that to get ATK back, which is still absurdly strong mind you. Just think about that for a second, a trashy-fit 1000 ATK Orlandeau that just comes with a single Dragon Killer will outdamage your top-TMR-kitted-the-gently caress-out Thunder God with 1200 ATK.

Dual Wield units complicate this a little bit since you need to actually back-calculate their ATK stat without either weapon, add weapon A to that and do all the calculations for attack A, and do the same for weapon B. So a 960 sheet ATK Orlandeau with two 130 ATK weapons will actually have 830 ATK on swing A and 830 ATK on swing B, i.e. sqrt(830^2 + 830^2) = 1174 ATK with both swings in reality. If he has Dragon Killer (50%) and Dragon Killer+ (75%) materias, and also Odin's Dragon Killer (50%) for a total of 175% extra damage vs. dragons, his effective ATK vs. Dragons turns out to be sqrt(1174^2 x 2.75) = 1947 ATK.

Alternatively if he didn't have Killers and was maxed out at 1200 ATK with those same two 130 ATK weapons, he'd have an effective ATK of 1513.

So yeah, don't just look at your sheet ATK as the be-all end-all number for damage, because those killers make a massive difference in action.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 14, 2018

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Sheratan down, all missions except the esper kill (gently caress that noise). Now just have the robot, Malboro, and the other 12 arm trial boss todo.

Relevant to the current discussion,
Ang equipped with the plant killer ability was hilarious

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Sheratan down, all missions except the esper kill (gently caress that noise). Now just have the robot, Malboro, and the other 12 arm trial boss todo.

Relevant to the current discussion,
Ang with plant killer LB was hilarious

Garnet/Eiko can do so much damage with Bahamut/Leviathan as a chain finisher that they make those missions (especially on 10-mans where you can just swap them in) pretty easy.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Tengames posted:

Same but with ramza, i have 3 delita, knight delita, 3 orlandu, and got merc ramza this weekend, but not a single base ramza.

I have 7* of all the FFT rainbows but 0 Cids :smith:

Re: killer talk, unless your unit has baked in killers it’s not even worth the math. Strap on any killer you can find. There’s a lot stronger diminishing returns on killers just because of how it’s calculated. So units akin to Firion might warrant some math. But generally killers are so scarce that you never get close to the point of diminishing returns.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Victis posted:

Garnet/Eiko can do so much damage with Bahamut/Leviathan as a chain finisher that they make those missions (especially on 10-mans where you can just swap them in) pretty easy.

Yea, my Garnet with +90% EVO (70 innate enhanced, +20 materia) took down Sheretan from 40% by capping a chain. It's crazy.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

If you pop a killer on Garnet, I am assuming it does not apply onto the Esper.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Espers don’t even use your stats for damage, so yes I think that’s likely

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
What the gently caress is going on with my free daily pulls: since the pulls started, I have had 4 free daily rainbows, including both yesterday and today, making two free rainbows in a row.

Aileen, Wilhelm, Basch #2, and Gilgamesh.

I wanted all this saved up luck for CG Fina :ohdear:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's just your time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meanwhile, I've yet to get a single Tomb Raider Banner character...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
All these crappy banners are really helping my ticket supply. I’m back up to 85 now and I don’t even know that I care all that much about cg Fina. I’ll blow a few tickets if I don’t get enough katana boys from dailies. Hard to imagine not getting 2 3* from 7 pulls, though.

It’s difficult to argue with going full bore on that banner because basically any on-banner is at least decent. Both 5* are good and the 4 and 3 are great TMs.

Probably going to end up saving most of what I have until sephiroth/lila and/or cg nichol*.

Sephiroth’s 7* seems kinda nuts. He’s got a ffb chaining ability.

* - Nichol is turn 1 130% full buffs, 65% full break, healing and mp refresh for 2 turns. He’s also not a bard, so he can spend every other turn doing other crazy poo poo. His 7* also lets you fill the summon gauge alongside even better buffs. And his stmr has +75% leviathan damage.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 14, 2018

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Sephiroth is when I'll be blowing lapis, given step-ups.

CG Fina I just want a 5* Healer finally :( Plus I have the tickets to burn for the same reason.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ZarathustraFollower posted:

You're correct; different characters LBs cost different amounts. Basch is a really nice tank to have, and will help you out for awhile. Have you posted your friends code in the thread yet?

I put it up in the goon spreadsheet.

It's good to hear he'll stay helpful for a good while. Mostly I was happy to get him because he was my favorite char in FFXII, wasn't too impressed with him off the bat, but once I enhanced him a bit, it was awesome.

(E: I just got Noctis; is he any good?)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 14, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AegisP posted:

Sephiroth is when I'll be blowing lapis, given step-ups.

CG Fina I just want a 5* Healer finally :( Plus I have the tickets to burn for the same reason.

I burned around 200 pulls chasing Ayaka and didn't even see a single rainbow (thanks in no small part to the 1->3% change happening later). Can't wait to get burned on CG Fina too.

At least I can make a 7* Rem when those become available in late summer or so.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Speaking of healers, if you have Y'shtola, Refia, WW Fina, and regular/Santa Roselia as your options... What's the least bad?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WebDO posted:

Speaking of healers, if you have Y'shtola, Refia, WW Fina, and regular/Santa Roselia as your options... What's the least bad?

WW Fina if you have dual cast/double white available (sheratan gives you a double white staff). She's the most versatile of the healers of that bunch. Regular Roselia doesn't have a dependable raise but has access to triple white which gives her the most healing throughput out of all of them. If you have someone that can cover for raises then she'd be the best choice. Yshtola is still decent if your party composition doesn't facilitate roselia and you dont have dualcast

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Jesus Rainbow. I just 1 shot Castle LGD chaining our TTerras together after a 1 turn set up. Your TTerra is everything I wish mine to become.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I've been rocking FF fan favorite Charming Kitty Arianna even since i grabbed her on a daily.

Decent healer but man am I sick of looking at that sprite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Kjermzs posted:

Jesus Rainbow. I just 1 shot Castle LGD chaining our TTerras together after a 1 turn set up. Your TTerra is everything I wish mine to become.

TT/Christine is my favorite chainer :D

(I found the FFBE chain macro maker and had to play around with it)

• Locked thread